Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

Americans are British and vice versa.

I didn't agree with you at first but it is a fact that Canada is just a huge Midwestern state, and Canada is definitely British, so I suppose it has to be true

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

christmas boots posted:

Can I trade in my n word pass for cash instead? I feel that would be more useful to me in my life

The real money comes when you set up a cloud-based service that distributes N-Word passes as a service (NWPaaS). :yayclod:

yeah I eat rear end posted:

I can't think of a good british comedian. Jimmy carr is the most notable example of one that people mostly like but his gimmick of "i say swears with an accent" just isn't funny.

e: limmy is funny but he's scottish

Scotland is British.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I just didn't think limmy would like being called british.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Taskmaster is one of the better shows on TV

kupachek
Aug 5, 2015

This man’s brain is trembling in the balance between reason and insanity, and as he stalks on with clenched fist and sword in hand, as though he still saw those murderous Russians gunners.

I can't think of a good british comedian. Jimmy carr is the most notable example of one that people mostly like but his gimmick of "i say swears with an accent" just isn't funny.

Jimmy Carr leaned heavily into jokes about sexual assault, rape, and pedophilia for a while. More than one show of his had him zeroing in on a family who brought a teenager and asking them if they knew what grooming was.

I asked an Irish buddy once why he thought Carr was funny, and the answer was basically because Carr is willing to say inappropriate things for a laugh. A lot of folks like Carr, and Norm, because they continue to perpetuate things that the rest of society told the viewer isn't funny anymore. It's reactionary.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Jimmy Carr is funny. When someone else shits on him for his tax shenanigans and plastic face.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

It takes more than just saying something controversial to make it funny. There were layers to norm's jokes. Carr had no layers. It was just "audience plant heckles him" --> "your mother is a c*nt" and such.

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Harvard University reported this week that virtually all Americans are saying that the pandemic is the number two reason why society can’t get things back to norm. . The number one reason?

Cancer.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

more like olddoghouseless

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010
[Watching a four minute joke about a moth going to a podiatrist] This guy just says reactionary stuff for shock value!

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Comedy as a profession is very hard to get into and it tends to weed out people who are not bull-headed in maintaining their own sense of self. Because of that Comedians tend to imagine themselves as "bold truth tellers" and not, as they so often are, "abrasive folks who got lucky". For a picture perfect example, see Ricky Gervais. A man who cannot stop name searching himself and trying to answer every critique with "lol, triggered".

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

kupachek posted:

Jimmy Carr leaned heavily into jokes about sexual assault, rape, and pedophilia for a while. More than one show of his had him zeroing in on a family who brought a teenager and asking them if they knew what grooming was.

I asked an Irish buddy once why he thought Carr was funny, and the answer was basically because Carr is willing to say inappropriate things for a laugh. A lot of folks like Carr, and Norm, because they continue to perpetuate things that the rest of society told the viewer isn't funny anymore. It's reactionary.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DFGU7LMwpUA

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

Carr's bright blue suits are fuckin heinous

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Jimmy Carr isn't even the funniest person on his own show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvz4zqqlCiI

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

e: limmy is funny but he's scottish

eddie izzard

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
I have absolutely no hope that global warming will in any way be solved or disaster averted, good thing I don't have kids.

Josef bugman posted:

Comedy as a profession is very hard to get into and it tends to weed out people who are not bull-headed in maintaining their own sense of self. Because of that Comedians tend to imagine themselves as "bold truth tellers" and not, as they so often are, "abrasive folks who got lucky". For a picture perfect example, see Ricky Gervais. A man who cannot stop name searching himself and trying to answer every critique with "lol, triggered".

Ricky Gervais seems to be putting on an Andy Kaufman style act, but as man is nothing but a collection of masks surrounding a core of nothing, he shouldn't do that.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I'm a bit stressed atm about some work stuff but not working right now so listening to Let England Shake and The Hope Six Demolition Project just straight through. The album as a format of music still holds up. If you commit to it, and it's a good album, it pulls you in.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Waxing seems like a horrible thing that no one should ever go, and society's obsession with hairlessness -- especially when it comes to women -- is creepy. I mean, seriously, no one should be expected to rip hair out of their skin, except maybe Olympic swimmers for maximum glide or something.

Gripweed posted:

Being given an n word pass isn't something to brag about.

N-word passes aren't a thing. Only certain people can say it, and that's it. That right can't be bestowed on anyone outside the group.

doverhog posted:

I have absolutely no hope that global warming will in any way be solved or disaster averted, good thing I don't have kids.

Deliberately having children at a time like this, in a situation like this, seems extremely cruel.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(▰˘v˘▰)
Body hair is gross and just gets in the way

I have to shave my face every drat morning for the rest of my life. It's a hassle. I wish I was a naturally hairless twink but alas

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

My joking assertion that the collapse of Johnny Depp's public image was engineered to bury City of Lies and Minamata is growing less of a joke and more of a serious conspiracy theory

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

I like most of my facial hair, it's hair everywhere else I find irritating.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

Body hair is gross and just gets in the way

I have to shave my face every drat morning for the rest of my life. It's a hassle. I wish I was a naturally hairless twink but alas

Mods please name chang to Unnaturally Hairless Twink, TIA.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

Men who shave their chests are disappointing. Most guys look better with some hair. Also crew neck tees should be illegal.

Zzulu posted:

I wish I was a naturally hairless twink but alas

One of my friends was a nartually hairless twink before she transitioned, and everyone is extremely jealous of how little effort she needs to take now lol.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

I was with a girl that refused to suck my balls because they weren't shaved, so I tried to shave and you have to do it constantly and it gets itchy. I guess I could get a full waxing or sugaring but not there yet. :shrug:

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Manager Hoyden posted:

I didn't agree with you at first but it is a fact that Canada is just a huge Midwestern state, and Canada is definitely British, so I suppose it has to be true

this take is so wrong

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

this take is so wrong

yeah, canada is a huge midwestern state and a weird french colony

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Canada and the midwest could not be more dissimilar if they tried. Barring north Dakota and parts of northern Minnesota which are culturally canadian

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Gaius Marius posted:

Canada and the midwest could not be more dissimilar if they tried. Barring north Dakota and parts of northern Minnesota which are culturally canadian

Alberta == Texas is really the only 1:1 comparison that makes sense, and texas is midwestern...

Henchman of Santa
Aug 21, 2010

Muscle Tracer posted:

Alberta == Texas is really the only 1:1 comparison that makes sense, and texas is midwestern...

Texas is many things but Midwestern is not one of them.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

Jimmy Carr isn't even the funniest person on his own show

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xvz4zqqlCiI

Im not clicking that, but no one on a panel show should be trusted generally, but they especially should not be trusted to be funny and they can all gently caress off to their Edinburgh shows about being a man on Tinder or being a woman who likes wine!

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Disco Pope posted:

Im not clicking that, but no one on a panel show should be trusted generally, but they especially should not be trusted to be funny and they can all gently caress off to their Edinburgh shows about being a man on Tinder or being a woman who likes wine!

You should click it, I guarantee you it's not about being a man on Tinder. There's two mediocre poems at the start, which seem like the kinda stuff you specifically don't like, but the third poem is a real treat.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gaius Marius posted:

culturally canadian

Ahh yes, Canadian culture. Being almost indistinguishable from the US but elitist about it.

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

Gripweed posted:

You should click it, I guarantee you it's not about being a man on Tinder. There's two mediocre poems at the start, which seem like the kinda stuff you specifically don't like, but the third poem is a real treat.

Just flick forward til you see the scruffy gentleman. Joe Wilkinson is actually funny and I recommend his work with Two Episodes of M*A*S*H.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Muscle Tracer posted:

Alberta has successfully maintained rat-free borders.

Texas actively imports Canadian rats and elects them to the U.S. Senate.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Alberta has successfully maintained rat-free borders.

Texas actively imports Canadian rats and elects them to the U.S. Senate.

Alberta has "claimed" a rat-free border and then pretended that makes it so.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Self Deprecating humor is worthless, every man woman and child should take pride in who they are and recognize their strengths rather than focus on the negatives of their lives. Whenever I see a "Comedian" roasting themselves for a few giggles I just end up feeling bad for them.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Alberta is rat‐free except for this tiny yellow border area with plague‐bearing Saskatchewan where rats are found and terminated before they can move west.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Gripweed posted:

It's not bad, yeah. I'm really not super into panel shows and their place in the UK comedy ecosystem though, so I tend to have a bit of an "okay, impress me" attitude when watching them which isn't good.

My PHUO can be that panel shows did more harm to UK comedy than Covid ever did.

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Platystemon posted:

Alberta is rat‐free except for this tiny yellow border area with plague‐bearing Saskatchewan where rats are found and terminated before they can move west.

So there are rats in Alberta, they just like to pretend that there aren't.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
It was really funny living in Canada when everyone* would assume I was a normal, honest ontarian and then get all huffy when they learned I was from Texas. Turns out we don't all wear cowboy hats and advocate fascism in thick Hank Hill accents.

*except the noble and intelligent québécois, who noticed my effete eurofrench accent and acted accordingly