Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
It's also interesting given how they play in battle that Noelle is clearly, as mentioned repeatedly, a replacement for Ralsei. Whereas if a party member Berdly played the same as he does when you fight him as an enemy then he's basically a replacement Susie in terms of being a damage-dealing tank. :thunk:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Junpei
Oct 4, 2015
Probation
Can't post for 11 years!
I'm putting money down on Berdley being playable in the future

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

It's also interesting given how they play in battle that Noelle is clearly, as mentioned repeatedly, a replacement for Ralsei. Whereas if a party member Berdly played the same as he does when you fight him as an enemy then he's basically a replacement Susie in terms of being a damage-dealing tank. :thunk:

I kinda figure Berdly as a future party member is unlikely, but, that could be an interesting way to tie into neutral/b-side sections down the road. On a neutral path, Berdly is weaker as a result of your earlier carelessness. On B-Side, he's just absent, making that section harder or vastly different, or opening up you up to another situation where you are alone with someone else?

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Just finished Chapter 2, I appreciate them letting you save in the Dark World so you don’t have to do the Giga Queen fight again if you don’t want. Out of curiosity, is there any postgame stuff like there was in the previous chapter or is Side B the only extra content?

Also I kind of have the suspicion that Susie is either not on good terms with her parents or straight up doesn’t have any. I wonder if we’ll learn a bit more about her personal life as the game goes on.

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Larryb posted:

Just finished Chapter 2, I appreciate them letting you save in the Dark World so you don’t have to do the Giga Queen fight again if you don’t want. Out of curiosity, is there any postgame stuff like there was in the previous chapter or is Side B the only extra content?

Also I kind of have the suspicion that Susie is either not on good terms with her parents or straight up doesn’t have any. I wonder if we’ll learn a bit more about her personal life as the game goes on.

What do you mean by postgame like last chapter? You have a similar capacity to wander around town and chat with people and see little events. You can also go back to the Castle Town Dark world and do some stuff there. Also, there's a hidden boss like Jevil.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Larryb posted:

susie's home life is one of the light world's biggest mysteries, up there with The Great Dreemurr Divorce. there's no way we won't learn more about it as time goes on

her stiff behavior in toriel's house can probably be attributed to toriel existing as the Ur-Teacher in the minds of every child in hometown, but there's an ongoing pattern with her where she initially tries to push away any attempt at generosity or affection and then does a complete 180 when she realizes it's a sincere offer. this girl is desperate for an adult to be nice to her

Countblanc
Apr 20, 2005

Help a hero out!

ikanreed posted:

Nah, toby loves himself a double bluff with a happy ending. It'll turn out to be a literal catfish that burgerpants is nuts fo.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

What do you mean by postgame like last chapter? You have a similar capacity to wander around town and chat with people and see little events. You can also go back to the Castle Town Dark world and do some stuff there. Also, there's a hidden boss like Jevil.

That’s what I meant, but I thought this game’s secret boss was only fightable on Side B?

I’m very curious to see how Chapter 3 opens considering Kris slashed their mom’s tires and opened a Fountain right in the middle of the living room (I’m starting to think they might not be the greatest person even outside of our control). Also it wouldn’t surprise me in that case if Toriel is our next party member

Oxxidation posted:

susie's home life is one of the light world's biggest mysteries, up there with The Great Dreemurr Divorce. there's no way we won't learn more about it as time goes on

her stiff behavior in toriel's house can probably be attributed to toriel existing as the Ur-Teacher in the minds of every child in hometown, but there's an ongoing pattern with her where she initially tries to push away any attempt at generosity or affection and then does a complete 180 when she realizes it's a sincere offer. this girl is desperate for an adult to be nice to her

Susie coming from a broken home would explain a lot, yeah

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:12 on Sep 27, 2021

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013

Larryb posted:

That’s what I meant, but I thought this game’s secret boss was only fightable on Side B?

I’m very curious to see how Chapter 3 opens considering Kris slashed their mom’s tires and opened a Fountain right in the middle of the living room (I’m starting to think they might not be the greatest person even outside of our control). Also it wouldn’t surprise me in that case if Toriel is our next party member

It's not Side B Exclusive. If you return to the Trash Heap and go left, you can find Spamton's Store, where he'll start you on a quest that leads to the proper fight.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

DanielCross posted:

It's not Side B Exclusive. If you return to the Trash Heap and go left, you can find Spamton's Store, where he'll start you on a quest that leads to the proper fight.

Good to know, thanks. Are there any major differences between the two versions of the fight?

DanielCross
Aug 16, 2013
Primarily that you have your full party for the non-Side B version.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Good to know, thanks. Are there any major differences between the two versions of the fight?

The biggest one is you get your full party and Susie and Raslei have commands that power up your soul.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Larryb posted:

The Side B version only lets you do the non-pacifist version (and has special scripted sequences for the end). Plus in the normal fight you have Susie and Ralsei with you

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

Oxxidation posted:

She came off as scared to me, not stiff. Which… would be a pretty typical response for a kid who has learned to associate displeasing parental figures with immediate and disproportionate punishment. :(

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ivypls posted:

i would give bpants more credit if he weren't currently being catfished by a deep fried jpeg of a slice of pizza

also those photos were from a magazine in sans' store

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Gotcha. Another thing I like is that you have a separate save file for every chapter (meaning if you didn’t fight Jevil or something back in the first one you can go back and do so even after finishing the second chapter).

Out of curiosity though, if you play the end of the first chapter again to completion will it overwrite your current Chapter 2 save?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Oxxidation posted:

susie's 'nostrils' are her real eyes, and when she sees toriel, susie actually stands up straight for once instead of slouching

Your Computer
Oct 3, 2008

Grimey Drawer

Larryb posted:

I’m very curious to see how Chapter 3 opens considering Kris slashed their mom’s tires and opened a Fountain right in the middle of the living room (I’m starting to think they might not be the greatest person even outside of our control).

I'm maintaining that this is a misreading of their character - the things they've been up to after ripping out the SOUL seems a bit sinister but they've never actually harmed anyone or done anything bad (unless you count eating the entire pie by themselves). They're probably selfish actions but I don't think they're malicious. Nothing we know about Kris from before we started the game indicates that they're bad either, and we learn in chapter 2 that the "mean-spirited" pranks on Noelle were actually kinda sweet because it turns out Noelle loves that. I think Kris is a good egg.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Well, based on the ending they basically dragged their mother into the Dark World against her will (not to mention the whole Roaring issue Ralsei mentioned). Not really sure how you could explain that one away but we’ll see.

I suppose you could write the whole “slashing Toriel’s tires” thing off as a prank but I’m not sure about the Fountain

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:29 on Sep 27, 2021

Oxyclean
Sep 23, 2007

Larryb posted:

Well, based on the ending they basically dragged their mother into the Dark World against her will (not to mention the whole Roaring issue Ralsei mentioned). Not really sure how you could explain that one away but we’ll see

Presumably opening a fountain and having an adventure before closing it again should be "harmless" enough, right? You only get a Roaring if stuff gets out of control. Interestingly, it's an opportunity to expand Ralsei's kingdom...? Also, the party levels up when they close a fountain.

That said, dragging people in unwillingly is not a great look, even if it gave Noelle and Berdly an opportunity to deal with some stuff.

e: Slashing the tires was to ensure Susie would have to stay the night.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Larryb posted:

Well, based on the ending they basically dragged their mother into the Dark World against her will (not to mention the whole Roaring issue Ralsei mentioned). Not really sure how you could explain that one away but we’ll see

I mean it's only one extra fountain that hasn't ended the world yet. And opening the door to turn the whole town into a dark world might mean Lancer and the rest will be okay outside of castle town and now everyone is just hanging out and having a good time in what is sure to be the coolest festival in years.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Tunicate posted:

also those photos were from a magazine in sans' store

Well well well, the plot thickens.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
I really want to know why Kris become a shambling zombie when he takes his soul out. Did we just override the one he had in the first place? By all accounts Kris was a perfectly normal (to a point) kid until we play the game. The thing is the cage obviously implies he's taken the soul out before. I just wanna know why Kris be actin' a fool when his soul is out!!

As for Susie I REALLY hope it's not an abusive home situation. Some other problem with her and her parents sure, what teenager doesn't have issues with their parents? I really don't want it to be that she's abused at home

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Oxyclean posted:

Presumably opening a fountain and having an adventure before closing it again should be "harmless" enough, right? You only get a Roaring if stuff gets out of control. Interestingly, it's an opportunity to expand Ralsei's kingdom...? Also, the party levels up when they close a fountain.

That said, dragging people in unwillingly is not a great look, even if it gave Noelle and Berdly an opportunity to deal with some stuff.

e: Slashing the tires was to ensure Susie would have to stay the night.

True, though I have a feeling The Roaring is going to come into play by the end of the game (I wouldn’t be surprised if the doorway at the bottom of town winds up being the last Dark World location).

Also I’m gonna hazard a guess that the face that appeared on the TV at the end is either our next Big Bad or possibly the Knight themselves (or they fake us out again and it’s just Lancer coming through)

In any case, the opening of the next chapter promises to be pretty interesting at least.

Larryb fucked around with this message at 01:39 on Sep 27, 2021

Zamujasa
Oct 27, 2010

Bread Liar
Was thinking about it some and realized that chapter 1 largely followed Undertale's lead of "the final boss is only mentioned, never seen, until the very end" (King) while chapter 2's final boss is met almost immediately and takes a very active part in the story throughout.

Even the secret boss is considerably more visible than Jevil was.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Kris creating a dark fountain and slashing some tires is way less evil looking than the Chapter 1 ending of taking out a knife and glaring at the camera with red eyes. So I dunno, i'm coming out of this chapter thinking they're a better kid than after the first demo (and I still thought they likely weren't that bad after Chapter 1 anyway). They're gonna be a dramatic late-game boss fight but I don't think they're really gonna be all that villainous in the end.

Araxxor
Oct 20, 2012

My disdain for you all knows no bounds.
Assuming the Roaring is real, I don't think that's Kris's endgame. They could initiate it by creating multiple fountains, but just 1 at a time would be just enough for fun adventures. They're definitely toying with dangerous forces, but hey, ultimately no harm done in the end, right?

Of course this gets put into an odd context if you do the Weird Route. At that point what they're doing is clearly dangerous due to us being a malevolent force they really don't like. So what could they want that would be worth risking us taking malicious control over others for?

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

The twist is that krisonly took the sugar, and someone entirely else (Jerry and/or Asgore) slashed the tires

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

:sigh: We're not gonna know anything for years. This is my least favorite part of playing games chapter-by-chapter, the fact that I'm not gonna be satisfied for a long time, and by the time it's ready, I may have forgotten.

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

The edgy poo poo Kris does is just making it more clear why they like Susie more than Ralsei.

It's all a part of the overall message that sweet and nice people are snakes in the grass waiting to bite you while rude and crude people are true and honest heros of the world.

hang on I got a four and a half hour youtube video to make

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012

Macaluso posted:

I really want to know why Kris become a shambling zombie when he takes his soul out. Did we just override the one he had in the first place? By all accounts Kris was a perfectly normal (to a point) kid until we play the game. The thing is the cage obviously implies he's taken the soul out before. I just wanna know why Kris be actin' a fool when his soul is out!!

As for Susie I REALLY hope it's not an abusive home situation. Some other problem with her and her parents sure, what teenager doesn't have issues with their parents? I really don't want it to be that she's abused at home

They :colbert:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Whitenoise Poster posted:

The edgy poo poo Kris does is just making it more clear why they like Susie more than Ralsei.

It's all a part of the overall message that sweet and nice people are snakes in the grass waiting to bite you while rude and crude people are true and honest heros of the world.

hang on I got a four and a half hour youtube video to make

asriel is by all accounts the biggest cream puff in hometown so he throws that calculus off a bit

kris and noelle's relationship was really great this chapter, though. she initially came off as just another anxious wreck, understandable given her current life circumstances, but the reveal that she actually likes being scared as long as it's in a manageable way really clicked with me as a horror fan. noelle divides fear in two categories, 1) the kind she gets from creepypasta and the neighbor kid's mild acts of terrorism, and 2) the unrelenting horror of being alive, and the former is a distraction/relief from the latter

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
Jevil is so loving hard.

Dr. Chainsaws PhD
May 21, 2011

Macaluso posted:

yeah it doesn't have to be straight-up abuse. she could just have absent or emotionally distant parents

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

Dr. Chainsaws PhD posted:

yeah it doesn't have to be straight-up abuse. she could just have absent or emotionally distant parents

her lack of a bedroom and general shabbiness hint that she lives in pretty serious poverty, even if you think her chalk-chomping habits are just a personal preference

i think the best-case scenario is that her parent(s) are constantly at work to support her and it's created a lot of the usual unspoken resentment and guilt among all parties

Flesnolk
Apr 11, 2012
Makes one wonder where she lives, given nowhere in Hometown seems all that badly off. Although I think it's reasonable to assume there's some abstraction at play and it's a bigger place than what we see - all that traffic came from somewhere after all

rko
Jul 12, 2017

MonsieurChoc posted:

Jevil is so loving hard.

Two things tend to put people over the edge it seems:

1) There’s a pattern to the pirouette effects based on turn order; if you only pick the advantageous turns it really helps. Jevil’s fan wiki page or whatever has a pretty easily scrollable-to list of the effects.

2) The hurt box during the carousel is really in the middle of those things, so you can dodge inside them a bit; try to dodge toward the middle.

Also I mean 3) If you go back you can easily load up on optimal foods for your characters which can make a big difference.

It’s a fun fight, and that track is sublime, Toby Fox writes the best jrpg boss tunes

Kite Pride Worldwide
Apr 20, 2009

Spiderfist Island posted:

Well, we know of at least one plant that had plenty of Determination and no SOUL...

Not exactly connected, but I don't think it's a fluke that Spamton was obsessed with reaching/piercing to [heaven], refers to his 'free' NEO form as [heaven]LY and the goal of the heroes in the prophecy is to "Banish the ANGEL'S HEAVEN". Something's going on that relates this level of narrative self-awareness to this concept of 'heaven', let alone the obvious influence of Gaster on Jevil and Spamton. We also don't know what exactly this Angel is either. Probably nothing good.

I'm thinking that we the player are the ANGEL in our HEAVEN looking down and loving around with things; closing all the dark fountains and completing the game means we'll leave because there's (ostensibly) no reason to stick around anymore. Jevil and Spamton were forced to confront the truth that they are just characters in a game and went mad, with the latter trying to break free from his bonds and ascend to a higher state.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

rko posted:

Two things tend to put people over the edge it seems:

1) There’s a pattern to the pirouette effects based on turn order; if you only pick the advantageous turns it really helps. Jevil’s fan wiki page or whatever has a pretty easily scrollable-to list of the effects.

2) The hurt box during the carousel is really in the middle of those things, so you can dodge inside them a bit; try to dodge toward the middle.

Also I mean 3) If you go back you can easily load up on optimal foods for your characters which can make a big difference.

It’s a fun fight, and that track is sublime, Toby Fox writes the best jrpg boss tunes

I’m loaded of Dark Burgers, can’t get the Broken Cake for some reason.

I got to his Final Chaos once but Ralsei was down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pollyanna
Mar 5, 2005

Milk's on them.

https://twitter.com/StunningGaming_/status/1442227394258120708?s=20