Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which horse film is your favorite?
This poll is closed.
Black Beauty 2 1.06%
A Talking Pony!?! 4 2.13%
Mr. Hands 2x Apple Flavor 117 62.23%
War Horse 11 5.85%
Mr. Hands 54 28.72%
Total: 188 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

freebooter posted:

I don't think we're ever going to get to on par or lower than the flu, purely because COVID is deadlier than the flu (at least until it mutates down, if it ever does). I know most countries haven't peaked vaccination rates yet, but looking at the UK data they're currently recording double the number of flu deaths they would if you smoothed it out over the year (40-70ish a day, depending on the flu season). But of course flu deaths aren't spread across the year, they spike in winter, and so will COVID, so this coming northern hemisphere will be one to watch.

I do think that several times the number of annual flu deaths will be something society will come to accept. It sucks but I don't see any other way around it.

I think with improved boosters and antivirals etc, this number will go down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

But we already have those things as a starting point for the flu, too. Though I suppose on the other hand, as I understand it, the flu vaccine is not as effective as COVID vaccines.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

StrangeThing posted:

I think with improved boosters and antivirals etc, this number will go down.

Why do you think boosters will suddenly outpace variants? mRNA vaccines are much much easier to reformulate and it still seems to take a year or so to get updates rolled out

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

freebooter posted:

But we already have those things as a starting point for the flu, too. Though I suppose on the other hand, as I understand it, the flu vaccine is not as effective as COVID vaccines.

That's actually gonna be a weird one, apparently some of the covid booster candidates for 2022 are going to include an mRNA flu vax alongside a covid booster all in one shot (novavax is also developing one, albeit not mRNA). Dunno if it's the "universal" one moderna was looking to get off the ground or if it's particular strains, but could be interesting.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

poll plane variant posted:

Why do you think boosters will suddenly outpace variants? mRNA vaccines are much much easier to reformulate and it still seems to take a year or so to get updates rolled out

You're assuming the virus will continue to evolve into more contagious and deadlier forms at rates we can't keep up with.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Later vaccination, so tough to compare apples to apples. But we've also never really been anywhere near as bad off as the states, so :smith:

We also have the varying shot intervals in the mix which makes it even harder to compare. It's too early to tell but it's possible that might change how immunity wanes for segments of the population.

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure

StrangeThing posted:

You're assuming the virus will continue to evolve into more contagious and deadlier forms at rates we can't keep up with.

The flu evolves every year, multiple times, not necessarily into more contagious or deadlier forms, but such that we need a different vaccine. Vaccine pressure will ensure that Covid does too, in my opinion.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

that flu-COVID-RSV combo vaccine they're talking about sounds like the business, tho of course it depends on that middle bit getting approved for younguns

nexous
Jan 14, 2003

I just want to be pure
Yes I have very high hopes for the combo vaccines. Hopefully before too long we can fasttrsck Covid vaccine updates like we do the flu vaccine and just get your yearly jab

But if we can barely get 60% to get a vaccine, what percent are gonna get one every year?

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

nexous posted:

Yes I have very high hopes for the combo vaccines. Hopefully before too long we can fasttrsck Covid vaccine updates like we do the flu vaccine and just get your yearly jab

But if we can barely get 60% to get a vaccine, what percent are gonna get one every year?

That's a whole big nightmare I've compartmentalized as something entirely separate from the actual technology and promises therein for a reason. I suppose combo vaccines are gonna be the best bet to get the kids of lunatics covered even if their parents are beyond hope.

I still believe that making vaccination mandatory to participate in society is the best approach but we don't really have a Federal branch that's able to do it since states can just kinda do their own thing so there's basically no answers either easy or plausible. It being part of a bunch in one and being boring may help but it's become an Ideology now and this sniffing man by this dumpster says that that's Bad News

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit
Honestly I think a lot of the disagreement we see coming in this thread comes from the fact that the USA just has absolutely lovely vaccination rates, and so your risk assessment will really depend on where you live.

I mean, in Australia we're legitimately talking about the possibility of reaching 90%+ double vaxxed by December, and the rates suggest we'll get there. That really changes the calculus of what we can or can't do.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

StrangeThing posted:

Honestly I think a lot of the disagreement we see coming in this thread comes from the fact that the USA just has absolutely lovely vaccination rates, and so your risk assessment will really depend on where you live.

I mean, in Australia we're legitimately talking about the possibility of reaching 90%+ double vaxxed by December, and the rates suggest we'll get there. That really changes the calculus of what we can or can't do.

What was the turning point here btw? I remember the big existential worry come from down under for a lot of it was the fact that they were locking down super well but couldn't get their hands on enough vaccine supply to lock it in so to speak

I'd say my biggest fear isn't so much my seeing retail levels of people throughout the day, it's getting T-boned on the way home and there not being any beds for me

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

double post again, SIGH

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

StrangeThing posted:

Of eligible? Because if total, you guys have very few kids!

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

What was the turning point here btw? I remember the big existential worry come from down under for a lot of it was the fact that they were locking down super well but couldn't get their hands on enough vaccine supply to lock it in so to speak

I'd say my biggest fear isn't so much my seeing retail levels of people throughout the day, it's getting T-boned on the way home and there not being any beds for me

I think the outbreak in NSW, and subsequently Melbourne, caused a lot of people to realize that we aren't immune. Last year we all had tastes of lockdown, especially Melbourne, and then from about November - June of this year life was completely normal. I mean, for three months in Melbourne we didn't even have to wear masks indoors.

Cut to, all of in lockdown again. "Oh, we need to get the vaccine to get life back to normal like we experienced earlier this year? Fine by me, let's do this poo poo."

Plus, mandates.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

GonadTheBallbarian posted:

Of eligible? Because if total, you guys have very few kids!

16+.

12-15 vax rates are growing very quickly (Victoria reported a third of 12-15 year olds are already vaccinated right now).

Given the relatively low risk to kids, an 80%+ vax rate for 12 year olds and above should provide decent community protection until 5-11 yos are able to be vaccinated, which the government has said they want to do as soon as it's approved.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

StrangeThing posted:

I think the outbreak in NSW, and subsequently Melbourne, caused a lot of people to realize that we aren't immune. Last year we all had tastes of lockdown, especially Melbourne, and then from about November - June of this year life was completely normal. I mean, for three months in Melbourne we didn't even have to wear masks indoors.

Cut to, all of in lockdown again. "Oh, we need to get the vaccine to get life back to normal like we experienced earlier this year? Fine by me, let's do this poo poo."

Plus, mandates.

Oh yeah I get that, but I mean actual vaccines being there in the first place. As I understand it the initial gambit was a shitload of AZ but then that fell through or was not actually secured after all so there was a panic. Is it mostly Pfizer there now or a Canada-style mix?

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

Oh yeah I get that, but I mean actual vaccines being there in the first place. As I understand it the initial gambit was a shitload of AZ but then that fell through or was not actually secured after all so there was a panic. Is it mostly Pfizer there now or a Canada-style mix?

Oh right, yeah. Yes, the problem was that we had a shitload of AZ and still do, but then there was a lot of miscommunication about AZ safety and / or efficacy, so a lot of people said "I'll just wait for Pfizer". But because the Government completely hosed up the opportunity to purchase Pfizer, that meant a lot of waiting until Pfizer arrived in the country. I mean, the government said under 60s shouldn't get AZ.

It really didn't start ramping up until last month. If we were just relying on AZ we would have all been vaccinated months ago. But the Government scrambled to make sure we got more Pfizer, the existing orders got expedited, and we started doing Pfizer swaps with countries like Singapore and the UK (get some now, pay it back later). we've always had a bunch of Pfizer coming for late 2021-22, but they've just been trying to speed up those orders as much as possible. SAme with Moderna.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

nexous posted:

Yeah I think that's the big issue. Like up here in Canada we're at over 85% eligible one dose, 80% or so fully vaxxed and rising. It's not unreasonable to assume we'll hit at least that for total population once kids are approved soon, especially with things getting increasingly constrained for the unvaxxed (most provinces have a passport in play or coming soon, the unvaxxed won't be able to take domestic flights or train travel, more and more companies are getting mandatory vaccines, etc...). If they do roll out boosters I don't know anyone who isn't just going to line up and get one when it's their turn.

But I get things are different if you live in a US state with like 50% vaccinated. Even with boosters come out it's a moot point if half the state won't even get the first two shots and are just spitting plague back and forth between each other.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

StrangeThing posted:

Oh right, yeah. Yes, the problem was that we had a shitload of AZ and still do, but then there was a lot of miscommunication about AZ safety and / or efficacy, so a lot of people said "I'll just wait for Pfizer". But because the Government completely hosed up the opportunity to purchase Pfizer, that meant a lot of waiting until Pfizer arrived in the country. I mean, the government said under 60s shouldn't get AZ.

It really didn't start ramping up until last month. If we were just relying on AZ we would have all been vaccinated months ago.

That makes sense, thanks! And good to hear. Best of luck with your race to get people vaccinated faster than Sydney can spread it

Chadzok
Apr 25, 2002

Epic High Five posted:

The turning point was a wave of Delta in Sydney that we just couldn't beat despite barely trying anything. The messaging changed from "Covid Zero" to "you only get your lives back when you're all vaccinated" and suddenly people actually wanted them and Scott Morrison started finding millions of doses under couches, God bless him. Every syringe we find is immediately fought over by a ravenous pack of state Premiers and then jabbed into one of their citizens. Also it turns out our silent majority of idiot anti-vaxxers is not as big a problem as America's, thankfully. They're just very loud.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Chadzok posted:

The turning point was a wave of Delta in Sydney that we just couldn't beat despite barely trying anything. The messaging changed from "Covid Zero" to "you only get your lives back when you're all vaccinated" and suddenly people actually wanted them and Scott Morrison started finding millions of doses under couches, God bless him. Every syringe we find is immediately fought over by a ravenous pack of state Premiers and then jabbed into one of their citizens. Also it turns out our silent majority of idiot anti-vaxxers is not as big a problem as America's, thankfully. They're just very loud.

Yeah, this.

There are plenty of people who are "im not anti vaxx but I guess im a little nervous? oh I have to get one to go to the gym again? okay"

Professor Beetus
Apr 12, 2007

They can fight us
But they'll never Beetus

Chadzok posted:

There's that good ol' fashioned American exceptionalism!

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Oh Christ alive I'd give anything to be in the position where just being vaccinated was enough to make me comfortable going back to the gym

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

Oh Christ alive I'd give anything to be in the position where just being vaccinated was enough to make me comfortable going back to the gym

I mean, it has to be taken in context.

When gyms open, 80% of 16+ folks here will be double vaxxed. At that point only vaccinated people will be allowed in. I'm 34, fit although a bit overweight, and I have a good diet. I've been vaccinated with Pfizer since late July. I feel relatively safe going to the gym under those conditions.

If I lived in somewhere like Colorado, with a 55% vaccination rate and cases up the wazoo, I might think twice.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

StrangeThing posted:

When gyms open, 80% of 16+ folks here will be double vaxxed. At that point only vaccinated people will be allowed in. I'm 34, fit although a bit overweight, and I have a good diet. I've been vaccinated with Pfizer since late July. I feel relatively safe going to the gym under those conditions.

If I lived in somewhere like Colorado, with a 55% vaccination rate and cases up the wazoo, I might think twice.

Yeah, I should say that my specific context here is that compared to a lot of the country I'm in a good spot - the county has an indoors mask mandate, and the biggest employers here all require vaccinations. I'm not in Colorado but that more or less matches where I'm at risk-wise. I guess I'm also a little paranoid because throughout my life I've known some people who had pneumonia of varying degrees and as a result I EMPHATICALLY do not want to get pneumonia

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Epic High Five posted:

Yeah, I should say that my specific context here is that compared to a lot of the country I'm in a good spot - the county has an indoors mask mandate, and the biggest employers here all require vaccinations. I'm not in Colorado but that more or less matches where I'm at risk-wise. I guess I'm also a little paranoid because throughout my life I've known some people who had pneumonia of varying degrees and as a result I EMPHATICALLY do not want to get pneumonia

That is fair.

L0cke17
Nov 29, 2013

Has there been any information about when infants can get their covid shots?

Our kid is 16 months old right now.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

poll plane variant posted:

Is Canada seeing the mysteriously much higher efficacy that the UK is seeing against severe/death vs US/Israel (longer intervals, mix and match vaccines, later start, higher uptake, ????)

It's definitely a mixture of things. The longer intervals could be a factor, we pushed vaccine intervals further than anyone else (16 weeks was the highest in Canada IIRC). Our vaccine mix favours mRNA over the UK, which has relatively more AZ. We're certainly more recently vaccinated than the US and Israel, and I would think the UK as well, so waning is less of a factor. Our uptake is way better than the US, and a little bit better than the UK / Israel. We also targeted vaccines fairly well (specifically targeting hotspots), although that was more back in the spring and I'm not sure what effect it would be having now.

Also other NPIs are still fairly well adhered to, in particular in Ontario, where our previously ineffectual premier was spooked into fairly tight restrictions, and then a cautious re-opening plan. There's still excellent adherence to masks indoors and capacity limits are fairly well enforced. That should affect unvaccinated and vaccinated people equally, but my completely uninformed assumption is that breakthrough cases are more likely in environments where the case load is high (which, duh, but I mean specifically the proportion of breakthrough cases to all cases could rise too if vaccinated people are constantly exposed to carriers).

Ne Cede Malis
Aug 30, 2008

GonadTheBallbarian
Jul 23, 2007

L0cke17 posted:

Has there been any information about when infants can get their covid shots?

Our kid is 16 months old right now.

Tough to say, Pfizer is submitting their 5-11 data this week, and after that is younger. Moderna shouldn't be too far behind, but expect the FDA to give some pretty extreme scrutiny to EUA.

I wish I had a better answer for you, ours is two so I know that it's incredibly nerve-wracking :(

freebooter
Jul 7, 2009

Australia has super, super high vaccination rates for every other disease so once supply was no longer an issue and people got over their "hmmm I dunno they made that awful fast" hesitancy, getting to 90%ish was always going to be attainable. Getting plunged back into lockdown was also a major incentive, which is why Victoria and New South Wales have roared ahead while places like Queensland and WA - which are still zero-COVID utopias with crowded bars and packed stadiums - are lagging behind, because people there have been spared the worst of the pandemic and see no particular urgency.

A lot of my younger relatives in WA are apparently not vaccinated yet despite having been eligible for months. It's not that they won't do it eventually, they're not anti-vaxxers, it's just they haven't bothered getting around to it because at the moment it makes no material difference to their lives.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Fritz the Horse posted:

can horses get bad coronaviruses. asking for a friend.

Horses have a vaccine against West Nile Virus and humans don’t.

:capitalism:

fosborb
Dec 15, 2006

Chronic Good Poster

StrangeThing posted:

I think "only vaccinated people will be allowed in" is really the difference here. No one really stopped anyone from doing anything in the US. If you had the means, you could circumvent every single element of American lock down.

And even then, yes, gyms shut down, but if a gym was actually open because they were selfish, ideologically poisoned assholes, it was up to the individual state to intervene... and they often didn't, or had governors personally pardon the people opening anyway.

So yeah, lots of playgrounds had caution tape wrapped around them nearly all summer of 2020, but by the end of that summer? Eh, someone had ripped the tape off. And no one really cared.

And that plays out especially in the US CDC mandates that have been used as carrots to entice behavior.

In March 2021, cases were dramatically falling from January highs across all demographics. In early March, the CDC released new guidance: you can see your grandchildren again once you are vaccinated!

As detailed in numerous talk shows appearances after the fact attempting to clarify the messaging, it was explicitly to get that higher risk age range to get more vaccines.

However, after the announcement, and despite cases otherwise dropping all over the country, cases increased in 50-64 year olds from mid March through the end of April.

While the messaging was "you can see your grandchildren again once you are vaccinated," enough people only heard "you can see your grandchildren again!" that it actually put that age demographic at more harm short term.

Rhodo Dendron
Sep 20, 2021

by sebmojo
What is this obsession with gyms? What is the irresistible allure that requires you to pay a hefty subscription fee to embarass yourself in a building full of smelly, judgemental strangers for something you could do in the comfort of your own home or neighborhood? There's a reason why the stereotype of "has a gym subscription even though they only went once and makes up excuses to not cancel it" exists.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Rhodo Dendron posted:

What is this obsession with gyms? What is the irresistible allure that requires you to pay a hefty subscription fee to embarass yourself in a building full of smelly, judgemental strangers for something you could do in the comfort of your own home or neighborhood? There's a reason why the stereotype of "has a gym subscription even though they only went once and makes up excuses to not cancel it" exists.

I do kickboxing training so no, I can’t do that at home.

StrangeThing
Aug 23, 2021

by Hand Knit

Rhodo Dendron posted:

We tried cooking at home to start, via Freshly shipments. We gave up after a couple of months because it was just too much drat work for not a whole lot of benefit. Just hours of prep for a single meal that wasn't much better than what we were picking up from the restaurants and still left us hungry after we finished it. Given we only had time even then to cook once a week, we ended up having to throw out most of the food we ordered that way due to spoilage anyway, and thus wasted all that money.

We're back to ordering pick-up once a week for mental health, and dry cereal, fast food and basic sandwiches the rest of the week. Cooking for your family loving sucks poo poo, I don't see how anyone has the time or patience for it these days.

Actually, I’m just going to assume this question is a troll based on this precious post.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Rhodo Dendron posted:

:hmmno:

Phigs
Jan 23, 2019

Epic High Five posted:

Our federal government is incredibly terrible by Australian standards. Just complete loving incompetent morons and corrupt to boot.

Our government decided to ignore Pfizer in favor of AZ largely because of connections aka corruption. But then there was the clot scare and we had to scramble to get the Pfizer shot. Or we should have, but the government dragged its feet. Literally failed to return Pfizer's phone calls. Eventually they pulled their finger out and got around to securing supplies of vaccine, largely on the back of the outbreaks and word coming out about how badly they had hosed it up until then. Since then they've been buying vaccines and trading vaccines with other countries to get our supply up quick.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mooseontheloose
May 13, 2003

Rhodo Dendron posted:

The YMCA locally offers children classes to swim and free weights which I don't have room to set up at home.