Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

FilthyImp posted:

What if it involved Mechs and/or colorful teams with nation-specific special arts?

FC Gundam!

Reminds me that that Basquash reboot is happening any day now for sure :shepface:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OneDeadman
Oct 16, 2010

[SUPERBIA]

Waffleman_ posted:

Reminds me that that Basquash reboot is happening any day now for sure :shepface:

Basquash 2 : now with even more boadacious babes and also the robots gotta fight the other robots for their Nikes

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

OneDeadman posted:

Basquash 2 : now with even more boadacious babes and also the robots gotta fight the other robots for their Nikes

This one won't become Macross halfway in, we promise

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

FilthyImp posted:

Is this the week or two lull between End of Season and Start of Season?

Feels bad, man
Go watch Kronii streams

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Tales of Woe posted:

you could watch one of the thousand good animes that already exist

Maybe this is me being old but remember when people got into anime and went “ok what’s good” instead of just watching everything released in the last 3 years

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

Maybe this is me being old but remember when people got into anime and went “ok what’s good” instead of just watching everything released in the last 3 years

Yeah, now you have to do that again for every genre.

Okay maybe just isekai

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?

I did the “what’s good” thing when I first got into anime but streaming didn’t exist then and so throwing down 70-100$ or more on a series I might dislike was a big ask. I got pointed to a lot of the classics and watched some stuff I probably never would have thanks to that.

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Resident Evil - Infinite Darkness feels like someone wanted to see if they could build a movie from a game engine and assets, but dial up the character models. And the plot is pretty mindless.

It feels like they wanted to make it a series or at least a teaser into the next suite of games but the last half of the last episode was ... it made little sense.

If you like mindless action, indecipherable motivations on all sides, and resident evil, then maybe this is for you. Heck, I might put it on if I need something playing and selen's not playing apex

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

people still do that, but also anime is basically just mainstream popular now so there's increasingly more people whose priority is watching the same stuff their friends / classmates / influencers / whoever are watching, the same as with any other type of tv show/movie

Droyer
Oct 9, 2012

FilthyImp posted:

What if it involved Mechs and/or colorful teams with nation-specific special arts?

FC Gundam!

Iron Leaguer already exists

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Captain Invictus posted:

all you need is kill is a pretty cool name but I also do like edge of tomorrow as a name too

criminally underrated movie, I know like two people who have even heard of it.

Saw this was up on Netflix and watched it earlier. Its still a great movie. I had no idea it was based on a manga(?).

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

It was originally a novel but it got a manga adaptation around the same time as the movie.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Waffleman_ posted:

This one won't become Macross halfway in, we promise
Remember when they showed a bunch of really awesome looking military bigfoots and commented on the political state of things and then almost immediately swerved into the silliness that made up the latter part of that show
Basically "hey look over there, a more interesting storyline! Well anyways"

Furnaceface posted:

Saw this was up on Netflix and watched it earlier. Its still a great movie. I had no idea it was based on a manga(?).
yes, titled All You Need Is Kill.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Man. Basquash was SO weird but I loved the concepts of the bigfoots, basically megas XLR wearing nikes, a shame it was pretty mediocre overall

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild
Well the Manga is based on a novel. Not sure if the movie is based on the novel or the Manga though, or a combination of both.

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

Either way it was a good movie.

I also watched Detective Pikachu today so Im 2 for 2 on good movies.

Ardeem
Sep 16, 2010

There is no problem that cannot be solved through sufficient application of lasers and friendship.
Movie's based more on the novel I think, and reading the manga first made me dislike the movie because it felt like Rita gave up all of her agency in exchange for actually getting to drink that cup of coffee. I mean, sure she got to shoot Tom Cruise a lot, but she was supposed to remember the time loops too and not be completly dependent on his knowing what was going to happen and spend all of the fighting following his orders.

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
https://twitter.com/highimpactsex/status/1442215842372997120

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I mean that's a better take than the people going "I'm never watching the show because the mean lady was mean to me by not dressing like Faye in the original."

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

I feel like it used to be the opposite. People would be like "you HAVE to watch the classics" and everyone who watched anime had seen haruhi and evangelion and so on, because so few anime came out every year it was completely realistic to watch everything that got released in a year if you were so inclined.

Now there's a ton of new shows every season.

Arc Hammer posted:

I guess it really does date you to when you first started watching stuff because I can't get enough of 90s style animation, especially the late 90s stuff right at the cusp of the transition to digital cel painting.

I don't mean to rag on digital painting (even if early 2000s shows are loving dire) but there's just something so satisfying and tactile to my senses for traditional mediums and hand painting. It's why I consider the visual effects work done for Return of the Jedi to be some fo the absolute greatest ever made when you consider how mammoth a task it was to individually film each ship model flyby and then layer the effects shots.
I get the same thing with anime. The behind the scenes footage of how the panning shots were done for something like Katsuhrio Otomo's Cannon Fodder speak to an obscene amount of effort that nowadays would be much easier (but still time consuming) to do via CGI.

As for art style, I like muted color palettes because bright shiny primary colours are the mainstream for most shows so it's fun to be different.

Yeah, for good or ill Sword Art Online basically standardized the look of popular anime.

I'm glad the Clannad look died out.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

i don't think sao looks appreciably different from a lot of late 00s stuff? like the first seasons of raildex or whatever.

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I do have a nostalgic yearning for the late 00s look, and I am glad the clannad mid-00s look is dead.
But man are the 20s so far blowing it outta the park

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
im going to divert all future live action bebop thought energy into playing the samurai champloo ps2 game written by suda51 instead

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

is there really a Clannad look when it only exists in like 3 Key VN adaptations that Kyoani did

staff overlap gives a minor similar vibe to stuff like Munto, Lucky Star, Haruhi etc but that's about it.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

getting into some of leaf/aquaplus' stuff revealed to me the truth that big-eyed 90s/00s styles are ftw, actually

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

dogsicle posted:

is there really a Clannad look when it only exists in like 3 Key VN adaptations that Kyoani did

staff overlap gives a minor similar vibe to stuff like Munto, Lucky Star, Haruhi etc but that's about it.

Grouchio hasn't watched an anime made before 2010.

dogsicle
Oct 23, 2012

maybe i spoke too soon anyway

clannad look alive and well...and FTW

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

*clears throat* the clannaids look, aka calfarts style

Strange Quark
Oct 15, 2012

I Failed At Anime 2022

GorfZaplen posted:

Grouchio hasn't watched an anime made before 2010.

now look at who posted

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Strange Quark posted:

now look at who posted

Grouchio posted:

I do have a nostalgic yearning for the late 00s look, and I am glad the clannad mid-00s look is dead.
But man are the 20s so far blowing it outta the park

?

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

The problem with early 00s isn't the designs it's the fact early digital animw has not aged well in visual quality compared to series animated by Cell

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

cell demands perfection

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

I started watching anime in the 2000s starting with Studio Ghibli films, then Inuyasha, One Piece, Dragonball, Code Geass, Bleach, Naruto, Trigun and Soul Eater, among others.
2000s anime i've revisted in the 10s has included: Zetsubou Sensei, Mononoke, Gankutsuou, Hell Girl, Xam'd, Elfen Lied and Umineko (the game not the show).

Your bullying ends here Gorf.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

lol gorf got owned

Acerbatus
Jun 26, 2020

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Tales of Woe posted:

i don't think sao looks appreciably different from a lot of late 00s stuff? like the first seasons of raildex or whatever.

I meant compared to stuff from the 90s or early 00s, like code geass has a different sort of proportion going on even if it didn't have the really exaggerated chobits eye spacing or whatever that (at least around here) people thought of when they heard 'anime' (also keeping in mind that people didn't even realize like pokemon or dragonball Z was japanese :v:).

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I can't believe gorf is loving dead.

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Ibram Gaunt posted:

lol gorf got owned

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Grouchio posted:

I started watching anime in the 2000s starting with Studio Ghibli films, then Inuyasha, One Piece, Dragonball, Code Geass, Bleach, Naruto, Trigun and Soul Eater, among others.
2000s anime i've revisted in the 10s has included: Zetsubou Sensei, Mononoke, Gankutsuou, Hell Girl, Xam'd, Elfen Lied and Umineko (the game not the show).

Your bullying ends here Gorf.

El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

gorf got cocky after being right about the gundam thing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Patware
Jan 3, 2005

grouchio's finally fuckin' had it and there's no telling what happens next