Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous
so now brazil is so dry we're having sandstorms, and firenados

https://twitter.com/jnascim/status/1442264362882936833

hydroelectricity became expensive as gently caress already and rolling blackouts predicted for the near future if it doesn't rain

lol

lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TRS9Bz0IH54

it's also the name of a johnny hobo album

ceschi was the last show i saw before the pandemic

i had to leave in the middle of his set because i had to catch the bart, but i had to stay to see him

i said to him something like "hey, thanks for your music. keep doing what you're doing, it's really important to the world" and he paused for a second and said "you, too"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92SXD-UZ7Ss

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CjWrjc5d4C4

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GIcE0sa2XmQ

this song is pretty good but

"but the sky will not fall, and we will all be better off for it in the end"

lol

lmao

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

ooo, that firenado's got me cracking and pinging

we're so hosed

enjoy the ride

Paradoxish
Dec 19, 2003

Will you stop going crazy in there?

bagual posted:

just another normal day on post-apocalyptic earth

looks fine to me

Evil_Greven
Feb 20, 2007

Whadda I got to,
whadda I got to do
to wake ya up?

To shake ya up,
to break the structure up!?

Funky See Funky Do posted:

We view the world as being focused on and about us but really we're just the method that God has created to punish sinful animals. Like how the point of hell isn't to provide a place for demons and devils to live it's to gently caress up human souls.

Now I don't pretend to know what cows and chickens did in the real world to deserve this poo poo but it must have been pretty loving bad.

chickens are astoundingly dumb
cows idk

bagual posted:

hydroelectricity became expensive as gently caress already and rolling blackouts predicted for the near future if it doesn't rain

lol

lmao

unfortunate that brazil did not figure out what rainforests did before they cut them all down

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Evil_Greven posted:

chickens are astoundingly dumb
cows idk

unfortunate that brazil did not figure out what rainforests did before they cut them all down

whoa, bro

why do you hate freedom :911:

e: for the longest time i thought that smiley was :america: and i "kept forgetting" that it's 9/11 lol

e2: lmao

e3: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B_qGuG-wEGc

Buck Turgidson
Feb 6, 2011

𓀬𓀠𓀟𓀡𓀢𓀣𓀤𓀥𓀞𓀬

bagual posted:

lol

lmao

badass

starkebn
May 18, 2004

"Oooh, got a little too serious. You okay there, little buddy?"
doesn't seem that bad yet

Pobrecito
Jun 16, 2020

hasta que la muerte nos separe
more like COPE26

jetz0r
May 10, 2003

Tomorrow, our nation will sit on the throne of the world. This is not a figment of the imagination, but a fact. Tomorrow we will lead the world, Allah willing.

Paradoxish posted:

just another normal day on post-apocalyptic earth

excuse me

it's just apocalyptic, or mid-apocalyptic if you need a prefix.

this poo poo ain't close to over

RadiRoot
Feb 3, 2007

starkebn posted:

doesn't seem that bad yet

I went outside and saw lots of birds and poo poo, seemed good? :shrug:

bagual
Oct 29, 2010

inconspicuous

Evil_Greven posted:

we did figure it out with some help from the world bank, they're made for burning down and planting soy or ranching cattle

meanwhile the actual indigenous brazilians protect every ounce of forest in their lands, pro thread btw

https://twitter.com/revolubrait/status/1430665305110589441

of course, we also figured that out, just shoot 'em

Homeless Friend
Jul 16, 2007
Metro 2033 Brazil looks sick

The Oldest Man
Jul 28, 2003

https://twitter.com/dnystedt/status/1442283588477591554?s=20
https://twitter.com/dnystedt/status/1442284456492998670?s=20

Well that's not something I expected to see happen this month

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Chamale posted:

This is a good post. I think there is a tendency to use psychopathy - clinical lack of empathy - as a synonym for "evil" - the practical lack of empathy. There's really no need - amoral corporations and CEOs and politicians are evil, and they do bad things because they are evil. You don't need a more complicated word like psychopathy to describe this basic problem.

Turns out greed, avarice, gluttony, lust and sadly sloth were Haram

fanfic insert
Nov 4, 2009

Trabisnikof posted:

again if they rebuild the pipeline, blowing it up is worse than just leaving it be for the environment.

only if blowing up the pipeline results in reduction in *consumption* does it actually help the climate. making TX natural gas winners and ND natural gas losers doesnt even help, its still worse than doing nothing.

So it's more of a coordination issue then

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

It would be liberal imperialism to tell Brasil to not clear-cut their rainforests

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Clear cutting rainforests to grow soybeans, eh? Nice job, vegans. Hope you enjoy that tofu.

Crunchy Black
Oct 24, 2017

by Athanatos

Chairman Xi, please invade posthaste

bowser
Apr 7, 2007

https://twitter.com/wimthiery/status/1442409562167029760?s=21

https://twitter.com/wimthiery/status/1442409568760471552?s=21

https://twitter.com/wimthiery/status/1442409577408987138?s=21

https://twitter.com/wimthiery/status/1442409584136687616?s=12

https://twitter.com/wimthiery/status/1442409596547747841?s=21

In a sane world, parents of younger children would be leading the charge for climate change mitigation. In our world, at least half of them are fighting to send kids back to school to get a virus so... :shrug:

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
*Bernie Voice* I am once again asking if anyone wants to get into HAM radio with me. We gotta be able to lol, lmao after the internet goes down!! also if someone already knows whats up give me tips

Basic Poster
May 11, 2015

Those who can make you believe absurdities can make you commit atrocities.

On Facebook

Mr. Pool posted:

*Bernie Voice* I am once again asking if anyone wants to get into HAM radio with me. We gotta be able to lol, lmao after the internet goes down!! also if someone already knows whats up give me tips

Can we use a different name for it? That's been my biggest barrier to entry so far

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001
I always forget it isn't an acronym its literally just a slang pejorative "Ham" as in "ham-fisted" aka people who are bad at telegraph , lol

FistEnergy
Nov 3, 2000

DAY CREW: WORKING HARD

Fun Shoe

Mr. Pool posted:

I always forget it isn't an acronym its literally just a slang pejorative "Ham" as in "ham-fisted" aka people who are bad at telegraph , lol

really? lmao

:btroll:

Mr. Pool
Jul 10, 2001

FistEnergy posted:

really? lmao

:btroll:

Yep, getting poo poo on by old telegraph dudes a century+ onward

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

RIP Syndrome
Feb 24, 2016

A most palpable loss

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I've long believed that any serious Western attempt to address climate change would involve assassinating most of the Braziliam government

But they're cheap dates who like steak so!!!

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

splifyphus posted:

I just did a bunch of acid and crack-pinged to a whole new dimension.

It turns out that now, when we live, there is a collective 'i am a sentient extinction event' emergent consciousness that can be...accessed. It's a level of self-understanding that is totally dehumanizing and depersonalizing, and I'm pretty sure anybody who can handle it and has done their homework can access at will. It couldn't have existed until recently, because it was only recently possible that a sapient extinction event was able to cognize itself as a sapient mass extinction. It's probably the final mutation of Hegel's geist.

Everything becomes incredibly hilarious and what you thought of as your individual identity gets kind of irretrievably shredded. But it's a consciousness that's just kind of standing there, available to be accessed at any time to anybody who notices. You can kinda move into and back out of it deliberately. You can experience yourself and your life as a mass extinction event in a way that's like, the apotheosis of human self-understanding, but is also decidedly 100% post-human.

It is like having cthuluesque demon peering through your own skull. Post-human consciousness is here motherfuckers goddamn holy gently caress.

yeah, yeah, because we're actually monkeys and the records of our egos through what we've scrawled on the walls of our digital caves won't make any loving sense without context from another creature looking or listening and understanding

gently caress, are we a cult? if humanity survives, this thread and its posters could possibly be viewed as some existentialist cult

like, yes, i exist as Alobar irl with my identity and poo poo but, also, it doesn't loving matter

if no other animal ever figures out how to read or understand what we wrote down, who gives a gently caress?

hell, there are human records and languages that we, as humans, can't decipher even with how powerful our technology has become

bees make honeycombs and honey and poo poo, this is what humans made

in the end, it might as well just be thousands of years of dog barks and paw prints

woof woof

lol

lmao

IAMKOREA posted:

Just gotta kill a few more animals before they're all gone. They're so beautiful *sniff* BOOM. *Reloads* i love them so much *BOOM*

heh heh heh, dog will hunt

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
NIHILON will accept all into its never-ending cold embrace

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

I said certified dead, seven days a week

Dry rear end river, make that survivin' game weak

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Did the thread not check for leaky faucets and stop the shower while lathering? Why are you not saving water?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Alobar posted:

yeah, yeah, because we're actually monkeys and the records of our egos through what we've scrawled on the walls of our digital caves won't make any loving sense without context from another creature looking or listening and understanding

gently caress, are we a cult? if humanity survives, this thread and its posters could possibly be viewed as some existentialist cult

like, yes, i exist as Alobar irl with my identity and poo poo but, also, it doesn't loving matter

if no other animal ever figures out how to read or understand what we wrote down, who gives a gently caress?

hell, there are human records and languages that we, as humans, can't decipher even with how powerful our technology has become

bees make honeycombs and honey and poo poo, this is what humans made

in the end, it might as well just be thousands of years of dog barks and paw prints

woof woof

lol

lmao

heh heh heh, dog will hunt

Cults involve an element of blind faith and here we do evidence based lmaos. Humanity going extinct is still up in the air afaik cause we're persistent little roaches, but the collapse of industrial civilization and millions of years of biological development being snuffed out in a geological instant is indisputable. Also cults have a leader and usually creepy sex stuff and a bunch of other structural signifiers.

Humanity as a whole though, at this point in time, is definitely a death cult with billions of trapped unwilling thralls and creepy sex monsters at the top of the pyramid.

mediaphage
Mar 22, 2007

Excuse me, pardon me, sheer perfection coming through
https://www.chathamhouse.org/2021/09/climate-change-risk-assessment-2021

quote:

Any relapse or stasis in emissions reduction policies could lead to a plausible worst case of 7°C of warming by the end of the century (10 per cent chance).

lol.

lmao.

Trabisnikof
Dec 24, 2005

honestly you have to read them all together and then recognize what it means for Chatham House to be putting those words to paper:

quote:

If policy ambition, low-carbon technology deployment and investment follow current trends, 2.7°C of warming by the end of this century is likely, relative to pre-industrial temperatures. A plausible worst case of 3.5°C is possible (10 per cent chance). These projections assume Paris Agreement signatories meet their NDCs. If they fail to do so, the probability of extreme temperature increases is non-negligible.

Any relapse or stasis in emissions reduction policies could lead to a plausible worst case of 7°C of warming by the end of the century (10 per cent chance).

If emissions follow the trajectory set by current NDCs, there is a less than 5 per cent chance of keeping temperatures well below 2°C relative to pre-industrial levels, and less than 1 per cent chance of reaching the 1.5°C Paris Agreement target.

There is currently a focus on net zero pledges, and an implicit assumption these targets will avert climate change. However, net zero pledges lack policy detail and delivery mechanisms, and the deficit between targets and the global carbon budget is widening every year.

Unless NDCs are dramatically increased, and policy and delivery mechanisms are commensurately revised, many of the impacts described in this research paper are likely to be locked in by 2040 and become so severe they go beyond the limits of what nations can adapt to.

notice its "beyond the limits of what nations can adapt to" not mitigate-- adapt, survive.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

EvilJoven posted:

"I sure owned that guy."

*bites into a chicken sandwich made from birds raised in basically a concentration camp for birds*

This is really late but I thought of a better reply.

How dare you compare what Biden is doing to those poor children on the border to what Cargill does to chickens! The conditions in the concentration camps aren't nearly as horrible as what our brave farmers are doing to our chickens!

Hm still not perfect. Well anyway I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader to turn this into a funny joke.

bag em and tag em
Nov 4, 2008

Trabisnikof posted:

honestly you have to read them all together and then recognize what it means for Chatham House to be putting those words to paper:

notice its "beyond the limits of what nations can adapt to" not mitigate-- adapt, survive.

Every time some paper cites "worst case scenario" I lol heartily with the knowledge that in a few years they will be frantically writing that it's actually gonna get so much worse so much faster.

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007
Idea i just had: citizen science for climate change. I'm coming to terms with the end of my career as a chemical engineer working in the oil and gas industry. I quit my job because I couldn't handle helping companies produce more oil and i don't think I'm going to get another one. But what to do now?

What if you did like brown Moses, except without NED and CIA backing, and for climate change? Citizen science models of how hosed we are, how direct air carbon capture is bullshit, how renewable energy is bullshit, etc...

Of course BM is all about grift. What I am proposing will never get funding. But still it could be cool. I don't know just spit balling here. Any thoughts?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Slavvy posted:

Cults involve an element of blind faith and here we do evidence based lmaos. Humanity going extinct is still up in the air afaik cause we're persistent little roaches, but the collapse of industrial civilization and millions of years of biological development being snuffed out in a geological instant is indisputable. Also cults have a leader and usually creepy sex stuff and a bunch of other structural signifiers.

Humanity as a whole though, at this point in time, is definitely a death cult with billions of trapped unwilling thralls and creepy sex monsters at the top of the pyramid.

oh, i wasn't talking "creepy sex with charismatic leader" cult but more like "pseudo-nihilistic acceptance of a higher consciousness that we have little recourse in attempting to manipulate, where we have a loose membership and outsiders and either You Know or You Don't Know" cult

:ohdear: unless...you need me to do creepy sex stuff and be the Thread Leader??

lol

lmao

e: if any future cultural anthropologists trying to figure this out in the Dead Language of English, they may think that we ended our "prayers" with "lol lmao"

eugh, the humans who survive are going to think they're sooooooo loving special because they didn't die