Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Fantastic Foreskin
Jan 6, 2013

A golden helix streaked skyward from the Helvault. A thunderous explosion shattered the silver monolith and Avacyn emerged, free from her prison at last.

Mederlock posted:

What gear does he have, and what does he find is lacking that he wants to improve by upgrading? What kind of room is he playing in, small, medium, large, asymmetrical, etc. . Ask him those questions and we should be able to get him on a productive path minus all the woo woo

He's got a SL-BD20D hooked up to some cheap-rear end computer speakers in a huge room with lots of odd, hard surfaces; this isn't going to be a maximally hi-fi setup and we're basically starting from scratch. He's mostly looking to get an amplifier and some floor standing speakers but he's run across people talking about fancy pre-amps and cartridges while researching this stuff, and while he's on board when I tell him to ignore the audiophiles I don't know analog gear enough to say if any of them are actually worth getting.

He spitballed $2k for the setup, most of which I imagine will go into the speakers, and will have a laptop for digital playback.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!
Need a bit of advice on phono preamps, I'm needing one that will take two inputs for MM carts. I've sold all my vintage receivers and need something to switch between my 1200 and a Pioneer Pl-600. I was thinking of getting a schiit audio mani and using their sys switch to jump between tables. But if anyone has any ideas that would be cool.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!

TooLShack posted:

Need a bit of advice on phono preamps, I'm needing one that will take two inputs for MM carts. I've sold all my vintage receivers and need something to switch between my 1200 and a Pioneer Pl-600. I was thinking of getting a schiit audio mani and using their sys switch to jump between tables. But if anyone has any ideas that would be cool.

get a DJ mixer

https://www.guitarcenter.com/Allen-Heath/XONE23-2-Channel-DJ-Mixer.gc

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

You won't recognize Canada when I'm through with it
Grimey Drawer

Fantastic Foreskin posted:

He's got a SL-BD20D hooked up to some cheap-rear end computer speakers in a huge room with lots of odd, hard surfaces; this isn't going to be a maximally hi-fi setup and we're basically starting from scratch. He's mostly looking to get an amplifier and some floor standing speakers but he's run across people talking about fancy pre-amps and cartridges while researching this stuff, and while he's on board when I tell him to ignore the audiophiles I don't know analog gear enough to say if any of them are actually worth getting.

He spitballed $2k for the setup, most of which I imagine will go into the speakers, and will have a laptop for digital playback.

He definitely needs to upgrade the turntable with it's fixed tracking force, the main things you'll want to see on a used/vintage TT are adjustable tracking force and anti-skate, ideally speed control but that's not 100% necessary, and the technics style H-4 headshell is a nice feature too. As for a cartridge, I've tried the cheap Grado Black 3 and found it very lacking in the high end, and recently upgraded to the Nagaoka MP-110(MP-110H if you want it premounted on a headshell), which is still a reasonable price and sounds incredible for the money. The Ortofon 2M Red is also very highly regarded but I personally find it a bit too bright, and there are some AT carts that are supposed to be good but I don't have much experience with them.

As for an amp, any stereo integrated amp in the $500-$1000 range is probably going to do a great job. The phono stages on some modern cheap Amps aren't going to be great or they won't even be present, but the Schiit Mani or the iFi Zen Phono sound great and are affordable. Same for the DAC, the iFi Zen DAC and Schiit Modi DAC will reproduce digital sources (ie. a PC/streamer/etc.) beautifully for a fair price, but some Amps have good DAC's built in so it's kind of a wash. Cambridge Audio CXA61, Rega IO, Marantz PM6007, Yamaha AS-701, vintage receivers, all are going to do a good job here.

As for speakers in his huge room, a floorstanding speaker is probably going to give him the best result, something like a Elac Debut 2.0 F5.2 or Wharfedale Diamond 12.4, or some nice vintage/older units on the used market in that price range would fit the bill nicely.

So, something like a $200-$300 vintage table with a $160 Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge, an $800 Yamaha A-S701, a $160 iFi Zen DAC, $130 Schiit Mani and some $500 Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 for around $2K would be an amazing setup. If he doesn't mind a little bit less sound quality out of the DAC and Phono stage by using what's built-in to the Amp, then that opens up $300 for better speakers. If he's patient and does his research, he could find some vintage floorstanders, a suitable vintage amp (which usually had nice phono stages), a used DAC, and a used turntable/new cartridge for about $1000

TooLShack
Jun 3, 2001

SMILE, BIRTHDAY BOY!

Thought about it but doesn't really have the look I'm going for in this system.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

TooLShack posted:

Thought about it but doesn't really have the look I'm going for in this system.

it has mounting points so you can easily drop it in a wooden case/frame tho

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Mederlock posted:

So, something like a $200-$300 vintage table with a $160 Nagaoka MP-110 cartridge, an $800 Yamaha A-S701, a $160 iFi Zen DAC, $130 Schiit Mani and some $500 Wharfedale Diamond 12.4 for around $2K would be an amazing setup. If he doesn't mind a little bit less sound quality out of the DAC and Phono stage by using what's built-in to the Amp, then that opens up $300 for better speakers. If he's patient and does his research, he could find some vintage floorstanders, a suitable vintage amp (which usually had nice phono stages), a used DAC, and a used turntable/new cartridge for about $1000

Not a bad list, but what's the Schiit Mani for if he's getting an A-S701? I doubt anyone would notice a quality difference between those pres.

And maybe 10 years ago I would've told a total newbie to go with a vintage TT for best bang/buck, but these days I feel like the pickings are so slim and the "vinyl resurgence" so long-established that their best bet is going with new. Anything worth getting, in condition worth getting, is probably going to be price-jacked, and anything nice but in need of repair or serious adjustment is going to be way out of the wheelhouse for somebody who doesn't know this poo poo and wouldn't be able to troubleshoot or refurbish a TT by themselves, much less know how to choose a good fixer-upper.

I don't think it's bad advice, and even a few years ago it would've been A+ advice, but at least in my area every TT that would've been $100 in 2012 is like $300 and price checked against ebay in 2021, and on top of that somebody who's brand new isn't going to be best equipped to test drive and tell good from bad. It'd be like telling your "I don't know about cars, I just want a commuter" friend to check out a sweet super-cheap project Miata on their local craigslist.

Frankly anything by Audio Technica, U-Turn, ProJect, Rega, or Pioneer in the $250-$600 range with a $50 VM95e will be more than fine for anybody upgrading from "SL-BD20D plus computer speakers" and be turnkey ready, even something like an LP120/Debut III or Carbon/Uturn Orbit/etc with the most basic cart is still a step up, and would have plenty of upgrade range.

Ortofon 2M Red or Blue, Shibata or Microline upgrade to the VM95e (I'm not looking up those model numbers rn, sorry), Grado, and you've got yourself a solid mid-tier vinyl set up that you can then upgrade or not.

Plus at least $700 (maybe $1k?) should be going to speakers with an AS-701 ($800). That leaves like $200-500 assuming OP's bro sticks with the built-in connections/DAC on the amp for now.

For connecting a computer via wire they'd want a USB DAC, either a Modi ($99), or they could bump up to the 701's pricier sibling the 801 and use the built-in one.

At the cheap end they could even go with Apple's USB-C dongle which is $9 and ruler-flat, but then they'd have to use a 3.5mm-RCA cable which some people oppose on principle or whatever.

If they want wireless, they'd have to factor in a solution which can range in cost from like $25-$600.

Have I missed anything? Does this guy want CD, multimedia, TV, etc? You positive he isn't looking for a surround system, OP? You can hook turntables up to those too, and do fancy 2-channel specific poo poo like send the receiver's pre-outs to a separate power amp(s), etc.

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I think I must've lucked out big time picking up a vintage fully adjustable S-Arm belt drive Hitachi TT for $50 this year that only needed a new RCA cable soldered in to fix, because yeah, now that I'm browsing the local ads vintage TT prices are insane.

As for the phono/DAC stage, I only mention it because I did notice a sound quality improvement(clarity, filled out mids and bass) on my $~600 Onkyo amp by going with discreet units for $150 each used, but as you say, the Yamaha may already be more than sufficient especially if they move up to the 801. To be honest, I simply don't know if the money is better spent on the speakers vs. the front end, which I why I mentioned both.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Mederlock posted:

I think I must've lucked out big time picking up a vintage fully adjustable S-Arm belt drive Hitachi TT for $50 this year that only needed a new RCA cable soldered in to fix, because yeah, now that I'm browsing the local ads vintage TT prices are insane.

There are still good deals out there, you just need to constantly be on the look and fast on the trigger.

petit choux
Feb 24, 2016

The Postman
May 12, 2007

I wound up picking up the NHT speakers for $65 from some guy who kept them in immaculate condition. I've listened to a few records so far and it's been a fun experience.

I don't have any immediate complaints about the sound, but I also don't know what I'm looking for. I think I have enough info at my disposal to toy around with different placements and see how it affects the sound.

Since I got the speakers so cheap I'll definitely keep an eye out for a sub at some point. Thanks for getting me started!

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.
Finally got everything set up at my girlfriend's place. The Heresys were too big for the space so took over some Chario speakers instead. They're such a weird and neat speaker, looks like a normal two way tower but has a ported (I think transmission line?) downfiring 5 1/4" long throw woofer that uses up the bottom half of the tower volume.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002
That’s quite nice

Crime on a Dime
Nov 28, 2006
hey. I'm rich

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Lol I'm a grad student and that's the living room of a mini home. Everything in the picture was either used or broken when I got it and I built the furniture, hell it's a 48" TV, we had to special order it because no one wants ones that small. Like I'm not saying I'm poor, and I clearly prioritize some hobbies, but rich is a stretch.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
check out Elon here with his laminate floors and houseplants

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Yeah just because someone has good taste and actually keeps their house clean unlike many goons, does not make them rich. Lol.

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Mederlock posted:

Yeah just because someone has good taste and actually keeps their house clean unlike many goons, does not make them rich. Lol.

To be fair, we're objectively the richest couple in the trailer park.

large hands
Jan 24, 2006
You gotta be at least a multi thousand-aire with a system like that!

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
Hey sir, hey. I see upwards of two thousand dollars in used equipment in that photo there

I call bullshit

Next you’re going to tell us that you own a car

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

Ok Comboomer posted:

Hey sir, hey. I see upwards of two thousand dollars in used equipment in that photo there

I call bullshit

Plot twist, the bank owns my car.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
with $60 in sensible houseplants and some IKEA stands, you guys need to slow the gently caress down with your irresponsible spending and conspicuous consumption

you lot make me sick, really

Mederlock
Jun 23, 2012

Grimey Drawer
I'd love to have houseplants but our cats seem to think they're herbivores

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

Ok Comboomer posted:

I call bullshit

I’d say it’s more than $2000. The pre-amp would go for almost a grand if it’s in great shape

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BigFactory posted:

I’d say it’s more than $2000. The pre-amp would go for almost a grand if it’s in great shape

Just did the math, $1870 (USD, I converted from maple pennies). The pre-amp was definitely the most expensive thing there and I got it for $700.

If we include the cabinet we're over because it cost me close to $450 to build (walnut and glass are expensive).

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

DoesNotCompute posted:

Just did the math, $1870 (USD, I converted from maple pennies). The pre-amp was definitely the most expensive thing there and I got it for $700.

If we include the cabinet we're over because it cost me close to $450 to build (walnut and glass are expensive).

Are those eBay prices?

DoesNotCompute
Apr 10, 2006

Big Wiener.

BigFactory posted:

Are those eBay prices?

Nah those are what I paid for each thing prices. eBay prices are absurd, I just looked up the preamp and someone is trying to sell the box it came in for $160.

polyester concept
Mar 29, 2017

He’s rich because he has a girlfriend that allows his stereo to exist on the main floor where guests can see it, instead of shamefully hidden in the basement

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

"You can see how they go from being so sweet to tearing your face off,
just like that,
and it's amazing to have that range."

Thunderdome Exclusive

whats the best alternative to chromecast audio for a wifi or ethernet dongle to play spotify on the nice speakers when im hammered and dont want to change records? i really just need spotify

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

Casual Encountess posted:

whats the best alternative to chromecast audio for a wifi or ethernet dongle to play spotify on the nice speakers when im hammered and dont want to change records? i really just need spotify

what’s wrong with chromecast?

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

nothing but i only have stereo rca inputs so id have to get an hdmi splitter or whatever and i feel like thats more effort than I want.

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

nothing but i only have stereo rca inputs so id have to get an hdmi splitter or whatever and i feel like thats more effort than I want.

An hdmi->rca box is $5.75 with free shipping on eBay if it matters

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

im aware, thank you. i was looking for alternatives and not just the cheapest solution

BigFactory
Sep 17, 2002

im aware, thank you. i was looking for alternatives and not just the cheapest solution

Ok good luck. There are probably alternatives I guess.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
You could get a Chromecast Audio for *searches eBay* $75? Jesus Christ!

Casual Encountess
Dec 14, 2005

just like that,

Thunderdome Exclusive

right like theres gotta be something else in this sector without having to jump into a sonos or amazon ecosystem

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

Discontinuing the CCA was a super bad move.

Scythe
Jan 26, 2004
So if you’re just looking for something that is wireless and has RCA outs, a Bluetooth adapter will work. Obviously it won’t be running the Spotify app or anything, just streaming phone audio.

If you want something that’s actually running Spotify and getting music directly yeah, you’re going to be in somebody’s ecosystem, whether it’s google, apple, Amazon, Sonos, Yamaha etc is up to you though.

VladimirLeninpest
Jun 23, 2005

gn gorilla
Fallen Rib
You could get something raspberry pi based to stream, like volumio or roon. A hifiberry dac hat sounds great and gives you RCA out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
A couple of companies have dual receiver/transmitter BT pucks that you can plug into one of your inputs for streaming audio from your phone/etc, and into one of your tape outputs for streaming audio from your LPs/etc to Bluetooth headphones or portable speakers.

https://www.bestbuy.com/site/aluratek-universal-bluetooth-audio-receiver-and-transmitter-black/6342383.p?skuId=6342383

If you’re exclusively using Apple stuff, you can also get a Belkin AirPlay 2 dongle for like $99 which uses WiFi instead of Bluetooth and arguably has way higher audio quality.

You can also get a used AirPort Express (one of the more recent puck-shaped ones) from EBay or Craigslist for like $50 and set it to “stereo mode” via AirPort Utility on Mac/iOS instead of using it as a router.