Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

The best apologies are crafted with love.
I feel like that requires a Full Metal Alchemist style equivalent exchange so we better add in some Heath Ranger on top of it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend
Ben is gonna drag Kelly to hell with him if he goes

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Intruder posted:

Who names their kid Matthew Mathews

I went to college (in Arkansas) with a William Williams, although he instead went by his middle name. And he was a good dude.

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

I have an obscure last name at the end of the alphabet and I don't know what I would do if my folks went with Z Z(last name) for my name. At least with my unique spelling of a common mid-late 80s girls name I just get called names that start with same letter.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

I mentioned that a dear friend of mine lost a years-long battle with bone and blood cancer last month.

Tonight (well, yesterday Sunday night), we had a seven-hour-long party in his backyard to celebrate his life, called the Great Big Open Mike (as his name was Mike). Free beer, soda and water all day, catered food donated, several area bands (including one of mine from more than a decade ago) re-united as part of the open mic portion, donations were raised to help his widow with his medical bills ... it was amazing.

Just as it was exhausting being an organizer of this event. A seven-hour festival is long--even longer when you have to get to the property at 9 or 10 in the morning so the show can begin at 2, and then there's cleanup and everything after the whole shindig ends at 9--and all I want to do is sleep for a day ... but now I have to get up early and go to the clinic for an allergy test in the morning, because dinner Friday night (along with some incidents earlier this year) suggests that I have manifested a shellfish allergy.

Tulalip Tulips posted:

I have an obscure last name at the end of the alphabet and I don't know what I would do if my folks went with Z Z(last name) for my name. At least with my unique spelling of a common mid-late 80s girls name I just get called names that start with same letter.

I've mentioned this before, but there was a guy in my neighborhood growing up whose name was Mathew Mathew. Identical first and last names. Poor kid.

Timby fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 27, 2021

seiferguy
Jun 9, 2005

FLAWED
INTUITION

Toilet Rascal
Managed to get to a beach right as the sun was setting, and as it set, asked my girlfriend to marry me...

She said yes :)

Tulalip Tulips
Sep 1, 2013

YAY!!!!! Congrats!! Get your cat a fancy bow tie and your fiance a fancy hug!

TITTIEKISSER69
Mar 19, 2005

SAVE THE BEES
PLANT MORE TREES
CLEAN THE SEAS
KISS TITTIESS

Bravo!

Barudak
May 7, 2007

seiferguy posted:

Managed to get to a beach right as the sun was setting, and as it set, asked my girlfriend to marry me...

Congrats. Now all you have to do is figure out how to break the news to your wife

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Mazel Tov Seifer!

The Wild Man of YOLO
Apr 20, 2004

A little cross-country, gentlemen?

Congrats!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

Huzzah

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Nice!

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002
More good news in chat thread! Woop woop

Ehud
Sep 19, 2003

football.

seiferguy posted:

congrats!

being married is cool and good

shirts and skins
Jun 25, 2007

Good morning!

seiferguy posted:

That's awesome! Congrats!

if you're having a wedding figure out your venue ASAP I'm not joking

Silly Burrito
Nov 27, 2007

SET A COURSE FOR
THE FLAVOR QUADRANT
Hell yes Seifer! Congrats!

LeeMajors
Jan 20, 2005

I've gotta stop fantasizing about Lee Majors...
Ah, one more!

Congrats seifer!

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

seiferguy posted:

feels as good now as the moments before proposing are nerve-wracking, eh? :) congrats, and yes get on the venue planning (or be willing to get it done a year or so ahead of time).

my wife is just a few days from being fully 5G compliant, and Japan is looking likely to raise the State of Emergency on places soon. the vaccination rates here are looking as good or better than the U.S., so if the hospitalization is getting better as well we should be well enough to stop being a full-time hermit this fall. I'm also thinking of getting a car soon, need to ask the staff of our building about parking spots soon.

Fifty Three
Oct 29, 2007

Congrats!

shirts and skins posted:

if you're having a wedding figure out your venue ASAP I'm not joking
Also this. It is insane. Our first like four ideal weekends in 2023 were already booked, managed to snag Choice Number 5.

Hot Diggity!
Apr 3, 2010

SKELITON_BRINGING_U_ON.GIF
Congrats dude!

Qwijib0
Apr 10, 2007

Who needs on-field skills when you can dance like this?

Fun Shoe
Grats seifer!

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Unofficial Goon Disney travel agent since 2014!

Tens of Goons served!

Congratulations, seifer! I hope you'll both be very happy together.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Braksgirl posted:

Thank you! It's such a hard job and everyday I'm trying not to gently caress it all up.

This is good and you (and SB) are good .

Both my sister and I were depressed in high school for different reasons. Hers was that she was in the closet. I wasn't there when it happened, but she came out to my parents one night at a family party (and told me later that night) and I think they didn't know how to feel about it at first. Sis was no longer going to church with us even before then. I still was, and my folks were very Catholic. For whatever reason we didn't go to our normal church that weekend but ended up in a different one closer to home. The priest that day gave a sermon on homosexuality as a sin and, god, that ride home was very quiet. I think they both felt like they'd been attacked that day, and came down squarely on the side of their daughter over the word of some lovely priest. I think they would have gotten there eventually anyway but it was nice that they got that extra shove.

Long story short, coming out was really hard on my sister and so it's nice to see that kind of open, direct, immediate support. :unsmith:

Parenting is tough. Our daughter is on the spectrum and navigating her mental/emotional issues the past couple of years has been stressful. We're starting ABA at the end of this week and hoping we'll see some change.

Quiet Feet
Dec 14, 2009

THE HELL IS WITH THIS ASS!?

Also congrats to Seiferguy!

FizFashizzle
Mar 30, 2005

We’re not going to the toooooooooooown

https://twitter.com/pitchfork/status/1442493234651938828?s=21

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

Quiet Feet posted:

This is good and you (and SB) are good .

Both my sister and I were depressed in high school for different reasons. Hers was that she was in the closet. I wasn't there when it happened, but she came out to my parents one night at a family party (and told me later that night) and I think they didn't know how to feel about it at first. Sis was no longer going to church with us even before then. I still was, and my folks were very Catholic. For whatever reason we didn't go to our normal church that weekend but ended up in a different one closer to home. The priest that day gave a sermon on homosexuality as a sin and, god, that ride home was very quiet. I think they both felt like they'd been attacked that day, and came down squarely on the side of their daughter over the word of some lovely priest. I think they would have gotten there eventually anyway but it was nice that they got that extra shove.

Long story short, coming out was really hard on my sister and so it's nice to see that kind of open, direct, immediate support. :unsmith:

Parenting is tough. Our daughter is on the spectrum and navigating her mental/emotional issues the past couple of years has been stressful. We're starting ABA at the end of this week and hoping we'll see some change.

I'm glad your parents sided with their daughter because not every parent does and it's heartbreaking. I can't even imagine looking at my child and thinking "I hate this person now and I don't want them in my life" all because they love who they love. Like, it's absolutely unfathomable. I love my children because they are who they are and that includes their romantic preferences. And I'll love whoever they love BECAUSE my kid loves them. It's non-negotiable for me.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

As is custom in my family whoever my child brings home gets to rip out my still beating heart. If the flames burn their hand so they drop it and fail the ritual they have to eat at the kids table for one (1) thanksgiving before they can eat with the adults.

harperdc posted:

my wife is just a few days from being fully 5G compliant, and Japan is looking likely to raise the State of Emergency on places soon. the vaccination rates here are looking as good or better than the U.S., so if the hospitalization is getting better as well we should be well enough to stop being a full-time hermit this fall. I'm also thinking of getting a car soon, need to ask the staff of our building about parking spots soon.

Every bar and restaurant except Gyu-goddamn-kaku and Hai Di loving Lao are acting like the state of emergency is already over. Still want lower hospitalization numbers though

Joey Freshwater
Jun 20, 2004

Always playing with my meat
Grimey Drawer

harperdc posted:

curious to hear if you're brave enough to be fully online mode, or friends-only. fully online sounds like it's turning into a legit form of multiplayer with meta and everything.

I haven’t done either yet. Only because I’ve just started playing it - didn’t do friends because none of them have the game yet. I want to get used to the game before I open it up to online.

And mother fucker I just killed Julianna and the game glitched and I had to restart the level.

Braksgirl
Dec 25, 2010

Tens of Goons served!

SB and I have an appt today to apply for passports. I've never had one before and it's a big lifetime achievement for me. We were talking about going to Europe for our 20th anniversary but obviously covid killed that. So we're trying to get the jump in case we can go places again someday. But having a passport makes me feel like a real adult who has their poo poo together.

Android Apocalypse
Apr 28, 2009

The future is
AUTOMATED
and you are
OBSOLETE

Illegal Hen
Congrats, Seiferguy! Luckily for you, this guy can attend the wedding!

Kalli
Jun 2, 2001

Braksgirl posted:

SB and I have an appt today to apply for passports. I've never had one before and it's a big lifetime achievement for me. We were talking about going to Europe for our 20th anniversary but obviously covid killed that. So we're trying to get the jump in case we can go places again someday. But having a passport makes me feel like a real adult who has their poo poo together.

Just remember to thoroughly check it after you get it. I renewed mine in 2016 for a trip to Hong Kong, the weekend before the trip, finally open it up, and notice... oh, they randomly transposed 2 characters in my name. Spent the day before my 2 AM flight running around boston getting it fixed

Vertical Lime
Dec 11, 2004

https://twitter.com/licoricepizza/status/1442504400853893125

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Need to renew my passport so I can move to Berlin.

https://twitter.com/Dan_Arrows/status/1442241270345240576?s=20

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

Oh good, I’d only seen bad cell phone footage of this so far

Amy Pole Her
Jun 17, 2002

Skwirl posted:

Seizing personal property seems like a bad thing on its face….

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Skwirl posted:

Well it’s non binding so maybe hold off on that.

Impossibly Perfect Sphere
Nov 6, 2002

They wasted Luanne on Lucky!

She could of have been so much more but the writers just didn't care!
drat commies won after all

Relentlessboredomm
Oct 15, 2006

It's Sic Semper Tyrannis. You said, "Ever faithful terrible lizard."

Skwirl posted:

Oh no who will protect the banks and private equity vultures!?!?!?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.
Isn’t this literally cult stuff?

https://twitter.com/jason_koebler/status/1442480686460387332