Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

poverty goat posted:

I've reported it to cornell and to the state agencies, but no, I've heard/found zero messaging about it in my area and heard nothing back from them yet. I'm near back bay wildlife refuge so maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they know anything.

I definitely saw two birds, a finch and a mourning dove, each looking disoriented with crusty eye in May/June- actually a swollen or crusty mound over one eye, but that's not specifically what I'm seeing now. The symptom I see now is around the eyes, beginning with what might be crust in the feathers below the eye in mild cases, proceeding to loss of feathers generally around the head and the back of the neck in extreme cases. That's where the crows are- big patches of pink bare skin in the vincinity of their eyes and around the backs of their necks. Two days ago it was just some mild crusting around one eye on one crow. There's been a grackle around in the same state, missing patches of feathers on his head. There are still lots of doves around but a couple of them have the mild symptom around one or both eyes. I suspect now that a finch and cardinal i identified the other day as having patchy, intermediate coloring might have been suffering this as well. another 4 or so species of birds are just missing from the property but I haven't seen any dead or sick.

but it doesn't seem like an exact match for the other stuff, no, though it's widespread and the eyes seem to be the thing

That reminds me of what I saw around here in like 2003 or so - I'd see crows that looked like partially-plucked chickens. I want to say West Nile was present at the time, but my memory is vague.

Edit: You're back East, right? I found this article referencing a mystery bird disease this year which seems relevant:

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/birding-basics/wild-bird-diseases/

CaptainSarcastic fucked around with this message at 06:42 on Sep 20, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Don't really encounter many interesting creatures since I WFH in a city all the time but here's one from a recent trip

mobby_6kl fucked around with this message at 10:50 on Sep 20, 2021

Dia de Pikachutos
Nov 8, 2012

Nictitating!

Less terrifying:

Dia de Pikachutos fucked around with this message at 11:20 on Sep 20, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

A Mourning Cloak, Nymphalis antiopa, that has seen better days landed in my yard. It's missing a leg on this side.

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

CaptainSarcastic posted:

That reminds me of what I saw around here in like 2003 or so - I'd see crows that looked like partially-plucked chickens. I want to say West Nile was present at the time, but my memory is vague.

Edit: You're back East, right? I found this article referencing a mystery bird disease this year which seems relevant:

https://www.birdsandblooms.com/birding/birding-basics/wild-bird-diseases/

Yeah, that's the disease I was referencing. It does sound pretty similar to what Poverty Goat has run into locally, but I don't believe it's exactly the same since these crusty eyes don't come paired with severe feather loss.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

my cat is norris posted:

Yeah, that's the disease I was referencing. It does sound pretty similar to what Poverty Goat has run into locally, but I don't believe it's exactly the same since these crusty eyes don't come paired with severe feather loss.

Yeah, I agree. The early stages of what I'm seeing do resemble some kind of discharge around the eye but otherwise it's very different.

In other news, I think I found one of those psychedelic cicadas in my driveway today flopping around upside down in some leaves where I could get a good look, complete with the big white fruit out its rear end, but it managed to fly away before I got a picture.

Chinston Wurchill
Jun 27, 2010

It's not that kind of test.
Spotted some great birds on a Saturday wander:

Well, actually they're more or less the usual birds but they're still great. They were just more numerous than usual this time.

Shartweek
Feb 15, 2003

D O E S N O T E X I S T
Mantid friend hanging out with my buddy.

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

McGavin posted:

A Mourning Cloak, Nymphalis antiopa, that has seen better days landed in my yard. It's missing a leg on this side.
I bet when bugs lose a leg they have a moment of panic where they're like "oh god, how will I get around??", and then they take a few steps and they're like "oh yeah, I've got plenty of legs still, phew".

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

Hmm the little video gif I recorded doesn't seem to translate very well. It's a terrible picture and recording, but we don't get gulls very often in Kentucky (rare according to Merlin) and two ring-necked gulls were just hanging out the other morning when I went to work. Took off before I could get a better angle and sassed me from the air.

I kinda miss gulls, so I got real excited. They either stopped during migration or recent severe ocean storms will apparently drive them this far inland.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

There's no such thing as a ring-necked gull. I'm pretty sure those are killdeers.

runchild
May 26, 2010

420 smoke 🎨artisanal🍑 melange erryday

Synnr posted:

Hmm the little video gif I recorded doesn't seem to translate very well.

Fixed it for you

my cat is norris
Mar 11, 2010

#onecallcat

I love killdeer, they're so pretty!

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

This bugfriend spent two days hanging out between the screen door and glass door of my patio, before bugging off. I don't think she caught anything.

Synnr
Dec 30, 2009

McGavin posted:

There's no such thing as a ring-necked gull. I'm pretty sure those are killdeers.

Sorry, ring billed? I misremembered. It's the only thing that comes in this area that really fit the guys I saw. Definitely had that squeaky gull call.

I was just happy to see and hear gulls, I'm from the coast.

Killdeer don't sqawk like gulls and have grey plumage. These guys were grey and white.

E; like so.

Synnr fucked around with this message at 23:19 on Sep 23, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Gulls don't have the dark parts of their plumage extending onto their breast like the birds in your picture. I'm 100% sure it's a plover of some kind.

blight rhino
Feb 11, 2014

EXQUISITE LURKER RHINO

Nap Ghost

poverty goat posted:

I've reported it to cornell and to the state agencies, but no, I've heard/found zero messaging about it in my area and heard nothing back from them yet. I'm near back bay wildlife refuge so maybe I'll call them tomorrow and see if they know anything.

I definitely saw two birds, a finch and a mourning dove, each looking disoriented with crusty eye in May/June- actually a swollen or crusty mound over one eye, but that's not specifically what I'm seeing now. The symptom I see now is around the eyes, beginning with what might be crust in the feathers below the eye in mild cases, proceeding to loss of feathers generally around the head and the back of the neck in extreme cases. That's where the crows are- big patches of pink bare skin in the vincinity of their eyes and around the backs of their necks. Two days ago it was just some mild crusting around one eye on one crow. There's been a grackle around in the same state, missing patches of feathers on his head. There are still lots of doves around but a couple of them have the mild symptom around one or both eyes. I suspect now that a finch and cardinal i identified the other day as having patchy, intermediate coloring might have been suffering this as well. another 4 or so species of birds are just missing from the property but I haven't seen any dead or sick.

but it doesn't seem like an exact match for the other stuff, no, though it's widespread and the eyes seem to be the thing

oh, hey friend. I'm only about 20 miles away. I don't get many little birds, but so far my crows seem to be holding strong, and not looking too bad. they'll come around as long as my neighbors aren't outside making a ruckus (which is too often, but now I'm probably that old man)
maybe a good sign it hasn't spread this far out, just yet? I get pretty much only crows, starlings, and a couple blue jays.

but you're also a lot better at identifying those signs, than I am.

I went to elementary school here before I moved, and we always went to back bay. Nice place.

Gunshow Poophole
Sep 14, 2008

OMBUDSMAN
POSTERS LOCAL 42069

Clapping Larry
Ring necked doves are a thing!

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Got another first-timer at my feeders today, a White-breasted Nuthatch.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

ANTSAT

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Managed to get some video of the Vaux's swifts coming in to roost in a chimney tonight. They do this twice a year - once when they migrate north in the spring, once when they migrate south in the fall. Lasts for a few days or a week, if memory serves. I forget to check them out some years, but actually got some footage this evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTF_W_yxg7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FwaHkbcsc

The Red Queen
Jan 20, 2007

You tricked me!

You said dis place was fun, but it ain't!
I clicked expecting a mated pair, but that's a whole flock! Wow!

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

CaptainSarcastic posted:

Managed to get some video of the Vaux's swifts coming in to roost in a chimney tonight. They do this twice a year - once when they migrate north in the spring, once when they migrate south in the fall. Lasts for a few days or a week, if memory serves. I forget to check them out some years, but actually got some footage this evening:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MTF_W_yxg7E
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=89FwaHkbcsc

That's incredible!

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Watching Vaux's Swifts roost in the Chapman School chimney is a thing in Portland, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgEAIK8P18

bij
Feb 24, 2007

Green Lynx Spider moments prior to jumping on me:

Yellow Garden Spider with bonus snack:

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

McGavin posted:

Watching Vaux's Swifts roost in the Chapman School chimney is a thing in Portland, apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gHgEAIK8P18

Yeah, these would be the same birds farther south - Agate Hall at the Univeristy of Oregon in Eugene.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.
Some recent critters:

I found this poor guy in my store missing his tail

When I touched him he'd wiggle around trying to escape, but then he'd stay still

I caught him in a styrofoam cup to take outside

Right before I released him, he decided to wiggle around and flip over to play dead. But he still had an eye on me

-----

I found what I think is a bee eating nectar from these flowers

It was hard to get a picture because it kept moving around, but it really liked this flower

Is this a real bee? Or is it just half a bee?
Caught in a flower, or loved semi-carnally?

-----

The first orb weaver has appeared outside my back door!

I didn't notice she was eating until I looked at the pics

I want more orb weavers around my house to eat bugs like these yellow ladybugs

If I capture orb weavers from commercial signs and release them at home will they stick around?

(central Arkansas USA; plz identify if you can)

vortmax fucked around with this message at 04:02 on Sep 27, 2021

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

The lizard's a Mediterranean House Gecko, Hemidactylus turcicus. It's an invasive species in Arkansas.

Scarodactyl
Oct 22, 2015

Just googled it, didn't know Arkansas had geckos but apparently you do, invasive Mediterranean geckos. They seem nice.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

vortmax posted:

The first orb weaver has appeared outside my back door!

I didn't notice she was eating until I looked at the pics

I want more orb weavers around my house to eat bugs like these yellow ladybugs

If I capture orb weavers from commercial signs and release them at home will they stick around?

(central Arkansas USA; plz identify if you can)

I don't know about the spider, but I think that might be a cucumber beetle of some sort, not a ladybug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabrotica

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
Went to a birdwatching tower yesterday and saw also an otter swimming around probably fishing or finding frogs.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Sorbus posted:

Went to a birdwatching tower yesterday and saw also an otter swimming around probably fishing or finding frogs.

Nice shot. I have very rarely spotted otters around here - most of the time if I see a mammal in the water it's a nutria.

I've seen a mink or a marten here like once, and outside of town you can find beavers here and there.

vortmax
Sep 24, 2008

In meteorology, vorticity often refers to a measurement of the spin of horizontally flowing air about a vertical axis.

McGavin posted:

The lizard's a Mediterranean House Gecko, Hemidactylus turcicus. It's an invasive species in Arkansas.
Well now I hope something ate it.

CaptainSarcastic posted:

I don't know about the spider, but I think that might be a cucumber beetle of some sort, not a ladybug.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diabrotica
That would explain why they're all over my tomato plant

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010

No shame at all.

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
I love this thread. I'm an arachnophobe who is oddly comforted by all the spider pics. All these pretty spiders, and they're nowhere near me, so I can just sort of "practice" looking at them. :)

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

YeahTubaMike posted:

I love this thread. I'm an arachnophobe who is oddly comforted by all the spider pics. All these pretty spiders, and they're nowhere near me, so I can just sort of "practice" looking at them. :)
Pictures of jumping spiders cured me of my arachnophobia.

Pretty much, at least. A big old wolf spider will still give me the heebie-jeebies.

Treecko
Apr 23, 2008

The Official Demon Girl
Boss of 2022!

I've never seen a fly like this before. It was pure matte black. That's a standard size screw next to it for size comparison. Any ideas on what it is? I'm in the Des Moines IA area.

bij
Feb 24, 2007

That is a black horse fly. Real inventive name.
Tabanus atratus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Some kind of stinkhorn growing in my garden. Really lives up to its name.