Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chumbawumba4ever97
Dec 31, 2000

by Fluffdaddy
Even more of a reason to use openshell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
i use powershell

Sniep
Mar 28, 2004

All I needed was that fatty blunt...

King of Breakfast

echinopsis posted:

i use powershell

is that like linux

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Die Rettung fuer die Landwirte:

Chumbawumba4ever97 posted:

Even more of a reason to use KDE Plasma

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Sniep posted:

is that like linux

identical

Chalks
Sep 30, 2009

every time i log into a server and try to launch iis manager i type "iis" then get no results, press space, delete the space, and then it shows up.

cowboy beepboop
Feb 24, 2001

echinopsis posted:

i use powershell

powershell seems good but every time I've tried to learn anything about it the only things I can find are posted by people who have to post about it as part of their microsoft certifications

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

my stepdads beer posted:

powershell seems good but every time I've tried to learn anything about it the only things I can find are posted by people who have to post about it as part of their microsoft certifications

going around forums and posting about powershell is like going around the neighbourhood and recommending windows to people

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

my stepdads beer posted:

What's worse is that all those blog posts are brimming with breathless enthusiasm for the most mundane poo poo imaginable. The most grating one I read was when Powershell finally introduced classes to the language in version 5 or so and the person writing the blog post was selling it like it was some mindblowing innovation only Microsoft could pull off.

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

oh they added the ability to use built in windows notifications to teams. good job ms

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Jenny Agutter posted:

oh they added the ability to use built in windows notifications to teams. good job ms

next they'll get the office team to use normal windows widgets instead of rolling their own. that too will turn out worse, but more pointlessly consistent

raminasi
Jan 25, 2005

a last drink with no ice

Drastic Actions posted:

if you think that's bad, I work on visual studio and have four or five different builds installed at any one time. the full name in the start menu includes the branch, but if I try to search for it (main, d17.0, etc.) windows usually doesn't show it as the top result. if I search "visual studio" I'll usually get a different result every time, or the installer.

and if I need to find the command line tools for any specific build. oh boy.

i usually leave the installer open and launch new instances out of that. before that I had arranged tiles on the start menu with all of them listed so I didn't have to search, but Windows 11 got rid of that and I can't do that now.

why does dragging tabs to different tab groups crash visual studio

seems like a bad feature to me, makes tab groups hard to use imo

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

Antigravitas posted:

What's worse is that all those blog posts are brimming with breathless enthusiasm for the most mundane poo poo imaginable. The most grating one I read was when Powershell finally introduced classes to the language in version 5 or so and the person writing the blog post was selling it like it was some mindblowing innovation only Microsoft could pull off.

Nice to see Shaggar getting some exposure.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Outlook: weather widget!
Taskbar: weather widget!
new Edge tab: weather widget!

Me: please stop...😭

Powershell : weather widget!

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

You can put Invoke-WebRequest https://wttr.in in your profile.

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

my stepdads beer posted:

thankfully I only use it to run ffmpeg and the best part is the persistent history. cd to the correct directory, hit up until the ffmpeg command comes up, iterate the file name and boom.. another tragic rodtronics animation set to underwhelm the masses

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

cool ms chat in the linux thread, friends

can we talk about a real deal shell, zsh. thanks

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
how do I install cool poo poo on windows

or can I not

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
hang on I thought windows was linux now

Antigravitas
Dec 8, 2019

Are we not all Linux on this cursed day?

Armitag3
Mar 15, 2020

Forget it Jake, it's cybertown.

Gentle Autist posted:

It's good op, I use oh-my-zsh.

Zlodo
Nov 25, 2006
I use fish bc it does everything you need out of the box without any janitoring required

git apologist
Jun 4, 2003

Armitag3 posted:

It's good op, I use oh-my-zsh.

same. these days i also use powerlevel10k, zsh-autosuggestions, zsh-fast-syntax-highlighting, and git number. it gives me pleasure

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

i also use oh-my-zsh because i felt lame when every other colleague could describe their terminal with 10 sentences, and i could say “it’s green with yellow”

Carthag Tuek
Oct 15, 2005

Tider skal komme,
tider skal henrulle,
slægt skal følge slægters gang

are there even shells without history???

echinopsis
Apr 13, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
cmd.exe would lose its history when you closed it I am sure

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

echinopsis posted:

how do I install cool poo poo on windows

or can I not

I'm still using cygwin in path instead of wsl out of lazyness, but both work above poster

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

from what I gather wsl is far better though

hbag
Feb 13, 2021

wsl2 just decides to not work sometimes

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

the full linux experience

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Gentle Autist posted:

you are mistaken, this is the microsoft brand linux thread.

the offbrand linux thread is elsewhere

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Gentle Autist posted:

zsh is greatest shell

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
loving hell. try to copy and paste a link from Chredge into teams or s4b and it does some bullshit auto formatting of the page title and domain or some poo poo. jfc. it was bad enough that real Chrome would have their urls copies with loving style and font formatting

AnimeIsTrash
Jun 30, 2018

Jenny Agutter posted:

Is teams supposed to be the new skype for business/lync replacement?

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

Chris Knight posted:

loving hell. try to copy and paste a link from Chredge into teams or s4b and it does some bullshit auto formatting of the page title and domain or some poo poo. jfc. it was bad enough that real Chrome would have their urls copies with loving style and font formatting

that sounds like your website is hijacking the buffer

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Chris Knight posted:

you can disable that in settings iirc. it's loving ridiculous though

cinci zoo sniper posted:

that sounds like your website is hijacking the buffer

afaik this is a "feature" in one of the recent chredge updates. because microsoft loves loving with clipboard data

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

infernal machines posted:

afaik this is a "feature" in one of the recent chredge updates. because microsoft loves loving with clipboard data

i use chredge as main browser on both windows and mac and its not happening to me :shrug:

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

i got it on a fresh install a while ago, but i don't remember the specifics. i didn't have any reason to copy/paste stuff from the last batch of systems we delivered so i've forgotten the details

cinci zoo sniper
Mar 15, 2013

it could also be receiving end poo poo, since, to think of it, i don’t ever paste stuff into office software. what i can say for sure though is that for pasting stuff into gmail or notepad or whatever chredge works like you would expect

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenny Agutter
Mar 18, 2009

AnimeIsTrash posted:

Is teams supposed to be the new skype for business/lync replacement?

yeah my company just retired skype 4 biz in favor of teams. teams is much slower