Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

xcheopis
Jul 23, 2003

ShadowHawk posted:

Today I learned that somewhere between 5 and 15% of people have a fear of needles. That's a shockingly high number. I suspect this has a lot to do with vaccine hesitancy; people often channel specific phobias into "reasoned" arguments that just so happen to support their fears.

Eh, I have a severe hatred of needles but I also have to have blood work done every two months for prescription refills, so I tolerate it. Same for the vaccines. I just keep my head turned until the all-clear sounds.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Pinecone Sample posted:

https://twitter.com/steinkobbe/status/1442272859347308545

I've seen enough of these posts to know that Ben Garrison is dead by the end of next month

Nessa
Dec 15, 2008

ShadowHawk posted:

Today I learned that somewhere between 5 and 15% of people have a fear of needles. That's a shockingly high number. I suspect this has a lot to do with vaccine hesitancy; people often channel specific phobias into "reasoned" arguments that just so happen to support their fears.

I had a fear of needles until I got diagnosed with hypothyroidism and had to get blood draws every 3 months.

Still though, I really want vaccine patches to be a widespread thing. I know they’ve been in development for years. They allow for vaccines to be stored without refrigeration and can be administered by anyone, with the added bonus of being good for the needle phobic.

Pennywise the Frown
May 10, 2010

Upset Trowel

xcheopis posted:

Eh, I have a severe hatred of needles but I also have to have blood work done every two months for prescription refills, so I tolerate it. Same for the vaccines. I just keep my head turned until the all-clear sounds.

:same:

I wouldn't say a severe hatred but I don't like them and have to look away. I hold my breath, wait for it, in and out, let my breath go. I used to get an IV 3 times a week for about 12 weeks and I just never got over it. I flinch sometimes too which they don't like but I've never had a problem.

Involuntary Sparkle
Aug 12, 2004

Chemo-kitties can have “accidents” too!

ShadowHawk posted:

I have a major fear of needles, it kept me from getting some vaccines when I was younger because my mom didn't want to fight with me over it (I've rectified it as best I can). But I definitely get all necessary vaccines now including yearly flu shots and was ecstatic to get my covid shots. Fear of covid > fear of needles for me.

Bad Purchase
Jun 17, 2019

I did the thing where you let your arm go completely limp and both shots were painless. One of them I wouldn't have even known I'd been stabbed if I hadn't watched the needle go in. After the 2nd shot, I also tried rubbing/massaging the area for a few minutes since I read that could help. But both times my shoulder muscle hurt like hell right above the injection site the next day and I could barely use my arm for anything for 5 days afterward. I'm just one anecdote, but in my experience being relaxed and/or massaging afterward doesn't do poo poo.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

the cruise industry really needs to like ignore the regressive states of america for a few decades.

Lenin Stimpy
Sep 9, 2009

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

ShadowHawk posted:

I've never been afraid of needles and I never will be

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
Making the country sick again, just to own the Libs.

e: jfc, they would actually like the name MASA

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
nah, masa already has a common usage with a type of corn dough used for latin food.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

oh yeah, like they know that

Castaign
Apr 4, 2011

And now I knew that while my body sat safe in the cheerful little church, he had been hunting my soul in the Court of the Dragon.

Fluffy Bunnies posted:

no, she's the new normal the "it's endemic" people are.

No, take heart. I'm in Georgia like you Fluffy, and I deal with the shittier covidiots on the reg: none of them are this unrelentingly terrible.

This woman's awful behavior is more common than it should be (because it should never happen at all), but it is far from common.

Again, take heart. This person is the worst of the worst, not the baseline.

HD DAD
Jan 13, 2010

Generic white guy.

Toilet Rascal

Hahahahaha

mom and dad fight a lot
Sep 21, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 23 days!

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!

Kirk Vikernes posted:

What's Ligma?

A pre-modern polytheistic religion thought to originate in the horn of Africa. practitioners are known to address any criticism of their religion with the single phrase "ligma".

Lolie
Jun 4, 2010

AUSGBS Thread Mum
https://twitter.com/Birdyword/status/1442322148584984579

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
It's quietly satisfying to see the countries which were so hampered by US/UK vaccine nationalism now excelling while the US languishes in the doldrums. My own country is something like 93% double-jabbed even though it seems like we also have plenty of idiots complaining

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

I assure you that we were only hampered by our federal government's own ineptitude.

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Nam Taf posted:

I assure you that we were only hampered by our federal government's own ineptitude.

Come now give some credit to the many incompetent state governments, social and conservative media, etc...

putin is a cunt
Apr 5, 2007

BOY DO I SURE ENJOY TRASH. THERE'S NOTHING MORE I LOVE THAN TO SIT DOWN IN FRONT OF THE BIG SCREEN AND EAT A BIIIIG STEAMY BOWL OF SHIT. WARNER BROS CAN COME OVER TO MY HOUSE AND ASSFUCK MY MOM WHILE I WATCH AND I WOULD CERTIFY IT FRESH, NO QUESTION

Failed Imagineer posted:

It's quietly satisfying to see the countries which were so hampered by US/UK vaccine nationalism now excelling while the US languishes in the doldrums. My own country is something like 93% double-jabbed even though it seems like we also have plenty of idiots complaining

We over-relied on an Australian manufactured vaccine which was actually a fantastic idea, but we should have had a back up. No one could have predicted the blood clot issues but 1) they certainly could have predicted that there MIGHT be some sort of issues and a plan B was important and also 2) even the federal government and media handling of the blood clot issue itself was a clusterfuck.

Trust our federal government to take an ostensibly good idea and still completely gently caress up the entire thing.

ShadowHawk
Jun 25, 2000

CERTIFIED PRE OWNED TESLA OWNER

a hot gujju bhabhi posted:

We over-relied on an Australian manufactured vaccine which was actually a fantastic idea, but we should have had a back up. No one could have predicted the blood clot issues but 1) they certainly could have predicted that there MIGHT be some sort of issues and a plan B was important and also 2) even the federal government and media handling of the blood clot issue itself was a clusterfuck.

Trust our federal government to take an ostensibly good idea and still completely gently caress up the entire thing.
It is pretty clear that the sensible plan was always "buy as many of as many different vaccines as you can, and when you inevitably end up with extras donate them to the poorer parts of the world"

Only a few countries seem to have actually gone ahead and done that though

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

The Australian vaccine that triggered positive HIV tests was an impressive way to really gently caress something up

That required some serious imagination

A Fancy Hat
Nov 18, 2016

Always remember that the former President was dumber than the dumbest person you've ever met by a wide margin

A tale of two Western Pennsylvanias:

My parents are both signed up for their booster shot this Friday. We had a hell of a time getting them their initial appointments, but the booster shot took 5 minutes to schedule.

On the other hand, a guy I used to work with spent a month in the hospital slowly dying of covid. His 49th birthday was spent on a ventilator, and now he's dead. His cousin was begging people to get vaccinated since this guy didn't, he was convinced he already caught covid and had natural immunity.

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock

Lenin Stimpy posted:

I've never been afraid of needles and I never will be

Me neither. If a needle comes for me, I'm punching it right in the jaw.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe
I used to be mildly needle-averse (as in I'd not outright avoid them but I'd have to close my eyes and force myself to breathe to keep calm) but forced myself to start giving blood (to repay the NHS for the four pints that they needed to save my mum's life) and I'm now over it to the point that even getting a needle stuck into my eye (well technically into the muscle to the side of my eye but it's hard to tell the difference when you're watching it come in) is fine now - not something I'd do for fun, but the last few appointments I've definitely been more nervous about the public transport to the hospital than the jab itself.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

ShadowHawk posted:

It is pretty clear that the sensible plan was always "buy as many of as many different vaccines as you can, and when you inevitably end up with extras donate them to the poorer parts of the world"

Only a few countries seem to have actually gone ahead and done that though

Australia currently has provisional approval for 4 covid vaccines (Pfizer, AZ, J&J and Moderna) but they only just started using Moderna a few weeks ago and they never put in any orders for J&J even after going through the entire approval process because they thought it was pretty much the same as AZ and they thought they'd sewn up some great deals on AZ so they just sat back to bask in the glory of a job well done. Only it turned out that the EU needed the vaxxes way more than we did and (rightfully) started redirecting the shipments so our vaxx rollout was hosed right from the start, and then there was that whole blood clot issue and the advisory panel decided to restrict AZ shots to people aged 50+ so the vaxx rollout got even more hosed up.
The people at Pfizer had been emailing our health minister back in June 2020 going "Heyyy, everyone else is putting in orders for our stuff, does Australia want any? Guys???" which he just ignored for a good long while and no one from his office met with them until August and we didn't put an order in until November, at which point we were well at the back of the line.

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

To be fair with how poo poo J&J has been at delivering to a lot of countries, it's probably wouldn't have made a difference if they had ordered any. We still haven't got any deliveries of if here in Canada despite ordering it well in advance and approving it ages ago.

Last word from Johnson and Johnson on an ETA was apparently "Lol who knows".

Mr Luxury Yacht fucked around with this message at 14:01 on Sep 27, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Mr Luxury Yacht posted:

To be fair with how poo poo J&J has been at delivering to a lot of countries, it's probably wouldn't have made a difference if they had ordered any.

Australia also has a single factory which has (slowly) been pumping out AZ for the home market, they could have retooled to manufacture J&J instead which would have doubled production since it's a one shot vaxx as opposed to the AZ double shot but they didn't because :shrug: :shrug: :shrug:

(I'm assuming it was because they didn't have a contract with J&J so they were locked in with AZ)

E: Australia also announced they were starting work on building new mRNA vaxx production facilities so we could start making them inhouse as well. They expect it to be up and running in maybe 12 months?? The state governments had been begging the federal government to fund the project for a while but they kept saying no so the Vic state government went and funded it on their own in April 2021, well over a year into the pandemic.

Snowglobe of Doom fucked around with this message at 14:07 on Sep 27, 2021

DickParasite
Dec 2, 2004

Slippery Tilde

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

Australia currently has provisional approval for 4 covid vaccines (Pfizer, AZ, J&J and Moderna) but they only just started using Moderna a few weeks ago and they never put in any orders for J&J even after going through the entire approval process because they thought it was pretty much the same as AZ and they thought they'd sewn up some great deals on AZ so they just sat back to bask in the glory of a job well done. Only it turned out that the EU needed the vaxxes way more than we did and (rightfully) started redirecting the shipments so our vaxx rollout was hosed right from the start, and then there was that whole blood clot issue and the advisory panel decided to restrict AZ shots to people aged 50+ so the vaxx rollout got even more hosed up.
The people at Pfizer had been emailing our health minister back in June 2020 going "Heyyy, everyone else is putting in orders for our stuff, does Australia want any? Guys???" which he just ignored for a good long while and no one from his office met with them until August and we didn't put an order in until November, at which point we were well at the back of the line.

Don't forget the olds refusing the AZ because they were terrified of the blood clots ATAGI told them they weren't at risk for.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

Snowglobe of Doom posted:

which would have doubled production since it's a one shot vaxx

Officially, sure.

Practically, is there a significant difference in efficacy between one shot of Vaxzevria and one shot of Janssen at two months?

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Also the states kept bugging the Australian federal government for funding to build dedicated international quarantine facilities but the feds kept going "Ehhhhh the current hotel quarantine system seems to be fine???" even though we kept having outbreaks which lead to entire cities needing to be locked down, and they didn't start moving on it until late June this year and even then several states had to to start the ball rolling all on their own in late August because they were still dragging their feet

quote:

Scott Morrison brushed aside Queensland’s decision to build the second quarantine facility, saying the state government could have done that at any stage in the past year.

“She has been at liberty to do that for months. We have made it very clear that that facility did not meet the national guidelines, and that is why we are going forward together at Pinkenba,” he said at a press conference a short time later in Canberra.

“That [new facility] is entirely a matter for the Queensland government. And they have made that decision, and they could have done that months ago if that’s what they wished to do. Good for them. I wish them every success.”
What a dick.

Platystemon posted:

Officially, sure.

Practically, is there a significant difference in efficacy between one shot of Vaxzevria and one shot of Janssen at two months?
Neither is all that great for the delta variant as it turns out and Johnson & Johnson are now recommending a 2nd/booster shot anyway, but earlier in the pandemic it would have been a sensible choice

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

FYI CVS is offering boosters of Moderna to people over 18 who work with the public or meet any of the other new criteria. Walgreens is *not*

Got mine scheduled for after work today

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

I got moderna this morning and I got pretty sleepy in the afternoon and my arm hurts like a real motherfucker. But otherwise I didn't really get any side effects.

poll plane variant
Jan 12, 2021

by sebmojo

Fallom posted:

FYI CVS is offering boosters of Moderna to people over 18 who work with the public or meet any of the other new criteria. Walgreens is *not*

Got mine scheduled for after work today

This is really location dependent and their website def says its for immunocompromised still lol, but theyll probably just give it to you unless you get a real prick pharmacist

legooolas
Jul 30, 2004

Skarsnik posted:

The Australian vaccine that triggered positive HIV tests was an impressive way to really gently caress something up

That required some serious imagination

There was a good documentary about the different vaccines being developed on TV here in the UK (https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/m000x2tf) and they knew it was possible due to using a party of the HIV proteins (or something like that? I'm not a doctor, Jim), and also that lots of HIV tests have very high false positive rates. But when it caused the media and politicians to start flapping the trials were stopped pretty quickly.

Having said that, using HIV to do anything with a vaccine sounds more exciting than I'd want it to be.

Fake James
Aug 18, 2005

Y'all got any more of that plastic?
Buglord
If I had 2 doses of Pfizer is it ok to get a Moderna booster? Or should I wait for a Pfizer booster to be available? I can't imagine it matters but I don't want to just make assumptions.

WhiteHowler
Apr 3, 2001

I'M HUGE!

poll plane variant posted:

This is really location dependent and their website def says its for immunocompromised still lol, but theyll probably just give it to you unless you get a real prick pharmacist

Yeah, most of the pharmacists don't care. Just say "I fall into one of the groups the FDA/CDC recommends boosters for". They're not going to check, and likely won't question beyond that.

I haven't looked at boosters yet, but when phased rollouts were happening for the initial doses, the CVS website just asked you some questions (with no verification at all) to schedule an appointment. Once you set foot in the pharmacy nobody asked for proof of anything other than your identity.

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Fake James posted:

If I had 2 doses of Pfizer is it ok to get a Moderna booster? Or should I wait for a Pfizer booster to be available? I can't imagine it matters but I don't want to just make assumptions.

Pretty much every country recommended that you stick with the brand of vaxx you started with but Canada and the UK both approved mix n' matching if it wasn't available when you came due for the 2nd shot. Some reports show that Moderna gives slightly better protection against delta but that might be because of when they ran the tests, as opposed to when Pfizer ran their tests. The difference doesn't seem to be huge anyway and I'd be happy to receive either when it came time for my booster. Here in Australia they'll probably be handing out Moderna to people who originally received Pfizer.

If I'd received J&J or AZ I'd definitely be trying to get one of the mRNA vaxxes as my next shot.

Also don't forget that it takes a few weeks for the booster's extra protection to kick in, if you want the benefits of the booster sooner rather than later then take whatever you can get now unless you're in an area with low case counts and you have the luxury of waiting.

* The usual caveats: I'm not a doctor, don't take advice from internet randos, google all this stuff if you're really worried, and talk to your own doctor if you can before making a decision

Mr Luxury Yacht
Apr 16, 2012

In Canada at least it went beyond a "mix mRNA in a worst case availability scenario". Our National Immunization Advisory Council declared both shots entirely interchangable. Back during the late spring/early summer when the vaccine campaign was at its height you were actively discouraged from shopping around to find a matching dose and were told to just get whatever was available closer and sooner. Even now with basically unlimited availability as far as I know you just get what you get each time.

There's been no indications that there are any additional adverse effects and every indication it's just as effective as two of the same.

That being said the one wrinkle is international travel. On paper a bunch of countries done consider mixed vaccination valid but in practice they don't give a poo poo and I've had several friends go to Europe with mixed doses which on paper shouldn't count but the border couldn't give less of a poo poo as long as you have two shots of something.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right
Someone's been shooting up the windows in medical clinics in Idaho
https://twitter.com/KarimalaKay/status/1441973936791580676