Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
How many quarters after Q1 2016 till Marissa Mayer is unemployed?
1 or fewer
Her job is guaranteed; what are you even talking about?
View Results

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

BiggerBoat posted:

My friends know. My ex wife is another matter. There's also poo poo like job searches, bill payments, appointment confirmations, etc. etc. Going "off the grid", even on a semi to light basis, seems next to impossible to me.

The world just feels too loving noisy. I can't imagine what it's like for the average person who really embraces all this poo poo and sees it as a net positive.

I realize that all this says more about me than the tech. I just don't think it improves quality of life and such and I'm just venting.

Things like job searches, appointment confirmations and bill payment notifications are completely customizable on any phone I can think of.

You can probably lower the number of notifications and give yourself some peace of mind.

Just trying to help your stress levels here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dawncloack
Nov 26, 2007
ECKS DEE!
Nap Ghost
Yeah, disabling push notifications is great. I'm much more productive, less interruptions and all.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
There's probably some form of Quiet Hours mode, separate from sleepytime, which you can set on your phone.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Volmarias posted:

There's probably some form of Quiet Hours mode, separate from sleepytime, which you can set on your phone.

its just called Do Not Disturb on most android phones, and its great. it will even temporarily hide existing notifications so they aren't distracting you with their presence

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Cheesus posted:

Wife: You didn't respond to my text?

Me: You said you were finished your errands in town and you were on your way home. And here you are home again after your 30 minute drive. Why did I need to respond?

Wife: So I knew you got my text.

Probably the one thing I like about FB is that with their messenger app, you know if it was sent successfully, and whether or not they've looked at it unless they specify otherwise in the settings.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mister Facetious posted:

Probably the one thing I like about FB is that with their messenger app, you know if it was sent successfully, and whether or not they've looked at it unless they specify otherwise in the settings.

I liked chat heads for a long time, but between the performance impact because they faulted at a rate of like 1k/s and the privacy concerns, I had to give it up

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I never use chat heads for any app 🤷🏻. Don't care for them.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Mister Facetious posted:

I never use chat heads for any app 🤷🏻. Don't care for them.

if you use them, the app that has the chat head can read whatever is on your screen, even the stuff that isn't that app. So facebook could read my bank stuff, for instance.

anything that can draw on the screen over other apps like that can apparently do that, which is kinda spooky

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010
using a official zuckbook app sounds like a bad thing to do.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

The less involved with social media you are the better your phone experience will be.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Sodomy Hussein posted:

The less involved with social media you are the better your phone experience will be.

you can take awful.apk from my cold dead hands

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
So is SA social media? I have a funny taste in my mouth

Chronojam
Feb 20, 2006

This is me on vacation in Amsterdam :)
Never be afraid of being yourself!

exmachina posted:

It's antisocial media, we're good to go.

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

My stance is that it certainly meets most academic definitions, but good luck getting some VC guy to give it a 2nd look

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Epic High Five posted:

My stance is that it certainly meets most academic definitions, but good luck getting some VC guy to give it a 2nd look

To be fair, desperately crying out for capital but also spending money on $10 cookies is a pretty startup thing that VCs will blast mountains of cash towards

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

Jeffrey promises some VC's guy's kid a high level gig to secure funding, only to then make them a GBS mod

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Epic High Five posted:

Jeffrey promises some VC's guy's kid a high level gig to secure funding, only to then make them a GBS mod

they turn out to be the best gbs mod we have ever had because they are such complete sociopaths

DeeplyConcerned
Apr 29, 2008

I can fit 3 whole bud light cans now, ask me how!
greetings. i am your new mod, Chadwick

Epic High Five
Jun 5, 2004

All hail Chadwick, imho

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

Chronojam posted:

It's antisocial media, we're good to go.

and yet we didnt get banned from the two major app storefronts.

Epic High Five posted:

Its a good thing that the modern techbros and other vampire capitalist dont see value in old forms of telecom.

Though I'm supirsed they having re invented the forum/message board wheel, given how they reinvented buses, librarys, etc but worse.

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

I wouldn't doubt that there's been more than a few attempts to make a startup for reinventing the concept of forums, but I think none of them have actually taken off in the current climate because there's no real way to make a forum do the all-important thing of Driving Engagement Metrics. How do you get people to read more threads, especially when they're already reading as many as they can keep up with? How do you get people to post more content without it devolving into white noise? In fast-moving discussions, how do you highlight the best stuff that people actually show up for? Most importantly, how do you monetize a system where linear, uninterrupted content is the draw and the easy solutions like inline ads would just be annoying?

I'm sure there's some brain genius who'll figure it out and launch Foruum, the Place to Chat™ but they'd have a real uphill battle finding funding.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
Discourse is already halfway there, with badges and achievements for posting.

It sucks

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017
Probation
Can't post for 17 hours!
The need for constant growth and yearly metrics is probably why internet communities are used to migrating en masse to a new platform when the old one is inevitably 'updated' to the point of being unusable for what people actually want out of it, and/or tries to chase off their audience in the vain hopes of attracting a perceived more desirable one. SA is one of those places that much like Luigi, wins by doing nothing and waiting for everyone else to gently caress up.

exmachina
Mar 12, 2006

Look Closer
I'm pretty sure the main reason SA survived is the :10bux:. Not because of the income but because to force the mods to play whack-a-mole requires a stupid amount of money or credit card fraud.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

BiggerBoat posted:

Both. I just don't like having to babysit my tiny noise machine all the time is all.

I got notifications turned off. If it's urgent please call, like a boomer.

Local Weather
Feb 12, 2005

Don't worry, I'll give you a sign. The sign will be that life is awesome

BiggerBoat posted:

Am I the only person on the planet that loving loathes the the fact that I received 25 text messages this morning before noon? Not counting the amber alert I got. I haven't even checked my email today but I'm sure that's a big old inbox of bullshit.

I'm getting old and know I'm an outlier but I totally hate that this all considered the New Normal. Would like to throw that phone in the loving ocean a lot of the time.

The subject of landlines and robocalls came up in the USNews thread and that's other layer of absolute bullshit that makes me think being available 24/7/265 might not be what we should call "progress". We've probably covered the spam calls, emails and all that but it's a god damned nightmare.

A "tech" nightmare of sorts.

When I moved to Europe in 2016 I transferred my American mobile number to Google Voice. I did this mostly because I could and it was like $20 so why not. I never use this number and rarely check on it. Turns out it gets tons of spammy texts and calls all the time mostly from the now famous car warranty and some AT&T based subscription scam. Its so much that it almost renders the phone useless, kind of like spam email threatened to do with email back before effective spam filters were introduced. What seems to be the hold-up in blocking and filtering the current mess?

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

Local Weather posted:

When I moved to Europe in 2016 I transferred my American mobile number to Google Voice. I did this mostly because I could and it was like $20 so why not. I never use this number and rarely check on it. Turns out it gets tons of spammy texts and calls all the time mostly from the now famous car warranty and some AT&T based subscription scam. Its so much that it almost renders the phone useless, kind of like spam email threatened to do with email back before effective spam filters were introduced. What seems to be the hold-up in blocking and filtering the current mess?

Telephone systems have no way to validate that the source is who it says it is, never has. If your have a switchboard (trivial in this day and age of software switchboards) you can call any number and claim to be any number, and there is literally nothing to say you are lying

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

RFC2324 posted:

just set aside like an hour a day

and your exwife is your ex, you don't have to keep going out of your way to please her

WE coparent a 10 year old

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Well... She either has to learn to live with you not being available like that 24/7 and call if there is an emegency. Or you have to get used to the opposite.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin
Honestly the FOMO I have of not knowing what the push had, or that I missed one keeps me looking at my phone. It's a real problem but honestly if I stopped I'd just spend the time obsessively refreshing SA or something.
And don't tell me to touch grass because I have two hands and the dog doesn't cause too much trouble when he's outside so I can let him roam while I scroll.

Senor Tron
May 26, 2006

https://twitter.com/passthebeano/status/1442165554614177794?s=20

Sage Grimm
Feb 18, 2013

Let's go explorin' little dude!
The classic of Goodhart's Law: When a measure becomes a target, it ceases to be a good measure.

Hard braking? Nope, only driving through intersections riskily no matter the circumstances. My score tells me that's better for safety!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

His Divine Shadow posted:

Well... She either has to learn to live with you not being available like that 24/7 and call if there is an emegency. Or you have to get used to the opposite.

This is the crux of the issue but I should probably take it to an E/N thread.

My main point about ubiquitous texts, spam and basically just "noise" all the time still holds. It doesn't seem to make people's lives more convenient so much as it makes people more impatient.

Edit, to add more:

I probably mentioned it before but our state unemployment website is about 75% inoperable, which I'm sure is by design. I've spend like 2.5 hours on it just today and it keeps bouncing me off after about 30 or 45 minutes. It also doesn't save the poo poo you already did and entered nor does it give an option to save and come back. I'm already entered in their system but still had to re-input all my information. And so forth.

If I go to the office, all they do is sit me down at the same website where the same poo poo happens.

I've heard horror stories about this in other states too.

If it keeps doing this, in a about a week my chance to apply will expire so instead of spending time looking for jobs, I'm sitting here in my bathrobe every morning praying that I can get entered and get on with it.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 16:12 on Sep 27, 2021

Mercury_Storm
Jun 12, 2003

*chomp chomp chomp*

If you gracefully roll over a pedestrian in a barren parking lot and no one saw or heart it, did you really roll them over? Elon says no

There Bias Two
Jan 13, 2009
I'm not a good person

exmachina posted:

I think the distinction is that SA is not algorithmically-driven and corporate-curated in the same way that the other social media platforms are. The most content curation we get is thread gassing and stickying, and most of that requires real human engagement to accomplish. There's a thread rating system, but it doesn't push content to the top/bottom or drive interaction in any other way than just showing a thread is popular or terrible.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

There Bias Two posted:

There's a thread rating system, but it doesn't push content to the top/bottom or drive interaction in any other way than just showing a thread is popular or terrible.

Thank Christ.

Also gently caress any reply system that doesn't use chronological order. Reddit can burn.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

RFC2324 posted:

Telephone systems have no way to validate that the source is who it says it is, never has. If your have a switchboard (trivial in this day and age of software switchboards) you can call any number and claim to be any number, and there is literally nothing to say you are lying

I think I learned from Ask and Tell's "Tell me about scams and cons" thread, that the telco companies have startedrolling out a thing called SHAKEN/STIRRED to combat phone spoofing.

They have untill 2023 to complete the roll out. Dont know how the tech magic works, but I think my anecdote observations think spam is slightly down.

RFC2324
Jun 7, 2012

http 418

PhazonLink posted:

I think I learned from Ask and Tell's "Tell me about scams and cons" thread, that the telco companies have startedrolling out a thing called SHAKEN/STIRRED to combat phone spoofing.

They have untill 2023 to complete the roll out. Dont know how the tech magic works, but I think my anecdote observations think spam is slightly down.

I've heard about it, but last I heard there were doubts about it actually working at all?

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Mister Facetious posted:

Thank Christ.

Also gently caress any reply system that doesn't use chronological order. Reddit can burn.

I don't understand this. I assume you're referring to top-level replies here, right? If so, why not just sort by new?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonikaTSarn
May 23, 2005

Kyte posted:

I don't understand this. I assume you're referring to top-level replies here, right? If so, why not just sort by new?

I don't understand the hate for Reddit either. At least you can have some discussions at all.

Discord , where everything seems to move to, just has unreadable spam. It's just terrible, and I don't understand why people use it.