Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Spanish Matlock
Sep 6, 2004

If you want to play the I-didn't-know-this-was-a-hippo-bar game with me, that's fine.

Zodack posted:

My impression of Vintage Story is that you'd want to have the minimap on as well as look up crafting recipes. The minimap especially as searching for essential things like Fire Clay, metals, and Terra Preta can have you ranging pretty far abroad from where-ever your base is. Plus the biome and terrain variance is huge and makes exploration really fun.

The one problem with that largely being that the world is big enough that it absolutely needs some kind of travel system.

Like, my tin ore mine is almost a day of overland travel away from my base. I built out roads and bridges to my copper mine, which is like half as far away but at some point the travel time just gets oppressive. There are translocators but there needs to be some middle ground between ancient demon tech in a deep cave and plodding around on foot. Horses/carts or hot air balloons or something.

I'm hopeful that something will be done about it before it leaves early access though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arven
Sep 23, 2007
Medieval Dynasty left early access today. I'm not very far in, but animal AI is way better and doesn't just stand there and let you kill it anymore. I used to not bother with bows and just use spears for everything, but it seems nigh impossible to use spears for anything but rabbits now. I've been getting my rear end kicked by everything else.

People on the steam community page are complaining that villages need tools and manure to work now, which is actually great to me as the maintenance-free resources villagers gave you kinda killed my interest in ever building a village out out previously.

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Arven posted:

Medieval Dynasty left early access today. I'm not very far in, but animal AI is way better and doesn't just stand there and let you kill it anymore. I used to not bother with bows and just use spears for everything, but it seems nigh impossible to use spears for anything but rabbits now. I've been getting my rear end kicked by everything else.

People on the steam community page are complaining that villages need tools and manure to work now, which is actually great to me as the maintenance-free resources villagers gave you kinda killed my interest in ever building a village out out previously.

Also of note, it's on GeForce Now, in case you use that service, or have a poo poo computer like me.

Marshal Prolapse fucked around with this message at 18:27 on Sep 23, 2021

Mad Wack
Mar 27, 2008

"The faster you use your cooldowns, the faster you can use them again"
Medieval dynasty is also on game pass if you want to try it out

Marshal Prolapse
Jun 23, 2012

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Mad Wack posted:

Medieval dynasty is also on game pass if you want to try it out

Oh poo poo cool. Granted I'm using 2013 Imac running Windows (which turned out to work pretty well) and my last comp and Games Pass did not get along, so I've never actually tried the PC end of ultimate, despite having it for a year.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay
Medieval Dynasty is really good but it can be quite hard to know what to do since you have so many options. There is a guide you can buy together with the game which is extremely detailed and very well written. There is also a map pack you can download for free from Steam. I just save-scummed my way to get a wife and I am now waiting until 7 PM when her pussy opens so I can make an heir.

Twenty Four
Dec 21, 2008

TjyvTompa posted:

I just save-scummed my way to get a wife and I am now waiting until 7 PM when her pussy opens so I can make an heir.

Top tier gaming nerd thing lol. I'm not trying to be mean it's just hilarious.

metasynthetic
Dec 2, 2005

in one moment, Earth

in the next, Heaven

Megamarm

TjyvTompa posted:

I am now waiting until 7 PM when her pussy opens so I can make an heir.

thread title, please

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat

metasynthetic posted:

thread title, please

It must happen. It's such a perfectly goony thing to say.

Major Isoor
Mar 23, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

It must happen. It's such a perfectly goony thing to say.

haha yeah, that entire post was just pure, super-concentrated gooniness

Also, more on-topic: is there a time lapse or something, in Medieval Dynasty? Otherwise surely it'll be quite the wait, for you to have an heir that'll actually do anything. Otherwise what, if your character die does it skip forward a generation and you control the now-adult heir, or something? (Kinda like Rogue Legacy, I think it was)

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

Medieval Dynasty is really good but it can be quite hard to know what to do since you have so many options. There is a guide you can buy together with the game which is extremely detailed and very well written. There is also a map pack you can download for free from Steam. I just save-scummed my way to get a wife and I am now waiting until 7 PM when her pussy opens so I can make an heir.

I see that it has full controller support have you or anyone else tried it?

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I bounced off Medieval Dynasty pretty hard. Trying to find the charm in it.

Is Conan Exiles something people still play? I used to spend hours on the game until someone poked a hole in my ceiling and robbed me blind.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

LET ME TELL YOU ABOUT MY DOG
Seven Days to Die is a pretty great open world survival/dungeon crawler/building game if you're looking for something to try, the enemies are mostly zombies but what really sets it apart from all the other games in this general category is the large assortment of hand crafted Points of Interest. Many different character builds work, lots of different approaches to attacking content, and a good portion of it is designed for groups. It doesn't look like it but it's voxel based, everything is destructible down to the bedrock. Enormous value for 25 bucks!

https://store.steampowered.com/app/251570/7_Days_to_Die/

OgNar
Oct 26, 2002

They tapdance not, neither do they fart
gently caress, 7D2D is one of those games for me that the only reason I am not playing it is that I dont want to ruin it by playing too much.
I try to wait until major version changes before dumping another 50-70 hours into it again.

kingturnip
Apr 18, 2008

Kraftwerk posted:

Is Conan Exiles something people still play? I used to spend hours on the game until someone poked a hole in my ceiling and robbed me blind.

Funcom recently updated the Terms of Service to make it clear how often they will not be punishing people who break the rules, so I'd assume the official servers are looking a little dead these days because of the exploiters.
I've been playing quite a lot in single player and enjoying it. I made a nice little elevator chain on Siptah so that I can easily get onto one of the islands without, y'know, just teleporting there.

TjyvTompa
Jun 1, 2001

im gay

MarcusSA posted:

I see that it has full controller support have you or anyone else tried it?

I haven't tried using a controller but I assume it would work fine. There are not that many hotkeys needed but there is quite a lot of inventory management which could get tiring.
I really like the game, my main complaint is that it is hard to know in which order to do things but the guide you can buy explains everything in great detail. The game and guide is 20% off until the 30th so pick it up if you like these kind of games.
I am not sure how well it will hold up later on but the developers have a roadmap for further additions to the game so I am sure it will only become better.

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

Flesh Forge posted:

Seven Days to Die is a pretty great open world survival/dungeon crawler/building game if you're looking for something to try, the enemies are mostly zombies but what really sets it apart from all the other games in this general category is the large assortment of hand crafted Points of Interest. Many different character builds work, lots of different approaches to attacking content, and a good portion of it is designed for groups. It doesn't look like it but it's voxel based, everything is destructible down to the bedrock. Enormous value for 25 bucks!

I've seen Seven Days to Die compared to Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead in the sense of gameplay loop. Make a base by hand or by taking over an existing building, then explore the neighboring area over an increasingly large radius, clearing one building at a time with various real locations from hotels to storefronts, building your character and crafting recipes as you learn. They're not similar in every sense, but I can see the cycle of play being pretty familiar.
I definitely liked Seven Days to Die a lot more than I thought I would, and I hope mod support continues to grow for it as new updates are released.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

:colbert:
Medieval Dynasty has amazing gameplay and simulation of various chores that I mostly enjoy grinding. Things like farming requires various steps to be done, and planning out logistic for where each buildings or village to setup in the whole map is pretty interesting. Of course, chores that I dislike can delegate to someone else to labor or bypass with purchase.

I am quite impressed by the hunting system and how detailed the animals model is at up close. Their behavior is well made with rabbit knowing how to weave while fleeing. You can outrun rabbit to melee them, but deer will be much faster, which requires ambush and blood tracking to find it. Head shot with the best poison arrow should be able to one-shot it though. Hostile animal can be heard when you are in their vicinity and they warning-growl at you when you are too close.

The only bad part is the lack of real story/npc content. It’s like a mmo in alpha phase where there’s only a few quest and story plot is basically fetch quest with text dump. The map could also use at least three more villages in the certer area of the map. I am not far enough to get notice by the local kingdom yet, but it would be perfect endgame content if fulfilling/failing king’s quest will affect the world in some way or story ending.

Overall, a lot more content and improvements is needed, but survival mechanic are so top notch that I wish it can be implemented in other similar game like kingdom come.

Edit:

quote:

Increased brightness at night
Hurt prey animals are now slowed down to 40% of their max speed
Aggresive animals are now slowed down when entering fleeing state
Animals will now stay still for a little bit on first hit with a projectile
:hmmyes: New update today and this is what I am talking about for a good hunting system. Blood get highlighted now .

Nyaa fucked around with this message at 16:49 on Sep 28, 2021

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

OgNar posted:

gently caress, 7D2D is one of those games for me that the only reason I am not playing it is that I dont want to ruin it by playing too much.
I try to wait until major version changes before dumping another 50-70 hours into it again.

Same, I am eagerly awaiting A20 and am probably going to try to convince my usual gaming crew to jump back in for it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

TjyvTompa posted:

I haven't tried using a controller but I assume it would work fine. There are not that many hotkeys needed but there is quite a lot of inventory management which could get tiring.
I really like the game, my main complaint is that it is hard to know in which order to do things but the guide you can buy explains everything in great detail. The game and guide is 20% off until the 30th so pick it up if you like these kind of games.
I am not sure how well it will hold up later on but the developers have a roadmap for further additions to the game so I am sure it will only become better.

Thanks! It’s on my list I’ll probably pick it up later today.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat

Flesh Forge posted:

On sale right now for $7.50. For that price, how can I not try it?

https://www.humblebundle.com/store/7-days-to-die

edit - lol. Should have checked my Steam first. I bought it in 2017. Now I have a spare key to gift to a friend. Maybe get some multiplayer going?

Canuckistan fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 28, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

They're releasing a tremendous content update within the next month, there will probably be a lot of interest then

CuddleCryptid
Jan 11, 2013

Things could be going better

I honestly cannot believe that Seven Days to Die is still getting major content patches. I fully thought it went the way of all those open world zombie scavenger games (who even remembers something like Nether) and was just abandoned entirely, but nope they are still going strong. Respect.

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

There was a point where 7dtd didn’t update for months and presumed dead. Then the dev came back and announced he hired 2 or 3 more personnel to make more mini-dungeon house and revamp everything down to the game system.

I’m not sure if the current game mechanic is any better than the old one, and everyone should try out those older build for a different, but equally content-complete experience.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

CuddleCryptid posted:

I honestly cannot believe that Seven Days to Die is still getting major content patches. I fully thought it went the way of all those open world zombie scavenger games (who even remembers something like Nether) and was just abandoned entirely, but nope they are still going strong. Respect.

the big difference between 7 Days and pretty much all the other games in the general category is the huge assortment of hand crafted dungeon-like content plugged together in basically infinite variety with procedural generation, I don't know of any other games out there with that going on. They're at a phase of development now where they're trying to polish everything up (especially the zombie models themselves) but they're also pretty smart about what makes their game different from the rest and are still adding gobs of new POIs - this upcoming patch adds 150, all approachable with a huge variety of tactics and character builds, all plugged together in clusters of villages, towns and large cities. Really nothing else out there even close to it in this sense.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

Soiled Meat
I tried 7DTD back in 2018 and I bounced off it pretty hard. I'm having much more fun this time around. I do wish you could push around the shopping carts you see everywhere. Is there any way to make a bridge or raft? My base is across the lake from a trader, and swimming across the lake is boring AF.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

I tried 7DTD back in 2018 and I bounced off it pretty hard. I'm having much more fun this time around. I do wish you could push around the shopping carts you see everywhere. Is there any way to make a bridge or raft? My base is across the lake from a trader, and swimming across the lake is boring AF.

Bridge for sure, you just need to keep track of the physics system when building it. Means you might need to dive deep to start building supports.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Canuckistan posted:

you will want to look into how structural integrity and support works, it depends a lot on the material used.

https://7daystodie.fandom.com/wiki/Structural_Integrity

this is more up to date:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_gvk8SG3i2c

e: it's really something to be building a tower or something, be up on the 4th floor and placing one block and have that whole OH poo poo experience, watching every individual block come apart and tumble down with you in it :supaburn:

Flesh Forge fucked around with this message at 18:58 on Sep 30, 2021

Nyaa
Jan 7, 2010
Like, Nyaa.

I love building bridge to makes travel easier. I know a mod added bridge as an item, but lego it out with square and triangle is more satisfying.

I think each square box can hold 7 extended blocks from it, then you need to build pillar down to the riverbed to start another 7 blocks.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Flesh Forge posted:

e: it's really something to be building a tower or something, be up on the 4th floor and placing one block and have that whole OH poo poo experience, watching every individual block come apart and tumble down with you in it :supaburn:

My favorite are the times where you break one roof block (possibly because the cop just popped) and suddenly blocks levels below start crashing and your computer starts lagging and you get that, "OH poo poo I GOTTA FIND A GROUND BASED WALL" feeling. :v:

I think that's happened to me a few times in the Shotgun Messiah factory.

Nyaa posted:

I think each square box can hold 7 extended blocks from it, then you need to build pillar down to the riverbed to start another 7 blocks.

Depends on the material you're connecting to, blocks have weight and blocks have amount of weight that can be connected to them.

Sab Sabbington
Sep 18, 2016

In my restless dreams I see that town...

Flagstaff, Arizona

Flesh Forge posted:

the big difference between 7 Days and pretty much all the other games in the general category is the huge assortment of hand crafted dungeon-like content plugged together in basically infinite variety with procedural generation, I don't know of any other games out there with that going on. They're at a phase of development now where they're trying to polish everything up (especially the zombie models themselves) but they're also pretty smart about what makes their game different from the rest and are still adding gobs of new POIs - this upcoming patch adds 150, all approachable with a huge variety of tactics and character builds, all plugged together in clusters of villages, towns and large cities. Really nothing else out there even close to it in this sense.

Congratulations and also god dammit, this post convinced me to try A20 when it drops. I have hundreds of hours in this game between it's pre-steam version and the post-steam release and was convinced I wasn't ever going to go back to it, but here I am, back on my bullshit.

eta: Is there a semi-comprehensive list of the planned additions in A20 so far or is it mostly relegated to the dev streams at the moment? Having trouble finding it, though if it exists I'm sure I'm just overlooking somewhere obvious

Sab Sabbington fucked around with this message at 19:53 on Sep 30, 2021

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

https://community.7daystodie.com/topic/22366-alpha-20-dev-diary/

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
The best part of the points of interest-based gameplay loop is that they're all basically miniature, self-contained dungeons. Some of them are huge and take multiple in-game days to complete, like factories, the Shotgun Messiah plant, various towers. But even the small farmhouses and residential lots are structured like dungeons. This was something I had to figure out rather than ever being told: there is a path through each POI that doesn't require breaking doors or walls. Obviously you can do that, there's nothing stopping you, but if you follow the open paths you'll see each locale has a "route" planned out that takes you through various rooms, lootable areas, enemy ambushes, combat encounters, and finally up to the climax/finale and resulting treasure room. They're laid out very literally like you'd see a dungeon laid out in a fantasy RPG, and with similar pacing. Breaking through doors to shortcut the path is fully viable but with rare exception it's not necessary. I think the exceptions are the occasional locked rooms (which you can lockpick into) as side-path "treasure rooms", and when you find false wall/floor panels or paintings/posters that conceal hidden treasure. They look different than surrounding walls and floors, usually like a thin veneer that's peeling up, and break much easier than the blocks themselves. Always hide rare loot stashes.
So yeah, it's a zombie survival game with hundreds of mini dungeons all dressed up like real world locations. It nearly sold me on that alone.

HelloSailorSign
Jan 27, 2011

Vib Rib posted:

The best part of the points of interest-based gameplay loop is that they're all basically miniature, self-contained dungeons.

And then I bring 50 wood frames and my axe and go, "hmm.... I guess.... here" :v:

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

I have *enormous* respect for a game that allows you to sequence break the hand crafted path in that way, like "maybe I'll just dig a hole through this wall and bypass all that middle poo poo". A very rare thing in the handmade dungeon-like content genre!

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖

HelloSailorSign posted:

And then I bring 50 wood frames and my axe and go, "hmm.... I guess.... here" :v:
If a POI gets reset from a quest or timer, or if you find one you already know, you can just dig in to the one correct outer wall or go backwards up the secret escape hatch and go straight to the treasure room! The game literally won't even try to stop you, like Flesh Forge said it's totally okay with it. I adore it.

NoNotTheMindProbe
Aug 9, 2010
pony porn was here
Is 7d2d the game that had all its source code on a laptop that got stolen at a con? And then the new source code got destroyed in a flood or something?

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

NoNotTheMindProbe posted:

Is 7d2d the game that had all its source code on a laptop that got stolen at a con? And then the new source code got destroyed in a flood or something?

Na that’s project zomboid which I bought in 2011 lol

It’s still in development.

Flesh Forge
Jan 31, 2011

Zomboid is pretty good too, in its way, it just doesn't have any goals at all beyond staying alive - for a lot of people this is OK but I feel like it needs some kind of basic mission system to give you a little direction, if you want that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vib Rib
Jul 23, 2007

God damn this shit is
fuckin' re-dic-a-liss

🍖🍖😛🍖🍖
Doesn't 7D2D also not have an end goal? The only one I remember was in a mod.