Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

R. Guyovich
Dec 25, 1991

return wasn't official until i found the old av.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

https://twitter.com/AJEnglish/status/1442402720510586881?s=19

ngl, if this is real it actually sucks poo poo

that said, seeing as this isn't from a Chinese source, I am very much taking this with a grain of salt, but be prepared for folks to attack China based on their reported restrictions on abortion in the coming days

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Venomous posted:

be prepared for folks to attack China based on their reported restrictions on abortion in the coming days

https://twitter.com/JoyAnnReid/status/1433521911607214086

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

Jesus was this a case of the books still having old rear end laws while the states/prefectures had more sensible ones and no one bothered updating the old ones?

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA
:xickos:

Al-Saqr posted:

Seeing American/Australian/UK media really hyping up a cold war and going full blast against china really underscores how actually dangerous anglo-saxon countries are, that you can essentially do nothing to them, you can play by their rules, but they will always somehow come up with ghost stories and work themselves up into a frenzy to attack you based off of something they made up in their own heads and when they do attack you they've already established a narrative of self defense on it based on nothing. it happens every loving time in history.

no actually, as two hundred posters who just crawled out of the woodwork reminded us, there’s so many crazy ex generals or whatever you can just relax and assume everything’s fine and that’s note indicative of anything

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

I'm not a fan of that particular read because it implies that Tibet was filled with backwards people who needed the PRC to modernize them, and part of the fallout from how Tibet was annexed is why there is still disgruntlement in the province.

R. Guyovich posted:

mostly correct but it ignores the ideological underpinnings of these policy moves, which most western observers do, even the ones sympathetic to the prc.

Welcome back old man

gradenko_2000 posted:

For what it's worth, there was a long time through my 20s when I stopped reading, after being a voracious reader in my teens. I had to re-learn how to read over the last four years or so - the main thing was that I wanted to read after getting radicalized, and ebooks let me find books that actually interested me, because the selection at local bookstores is mostly pop culture crap and capitalist ideology.

When I was younger I read Red Rabbit and it was so stupid and boring it took me a solid 8 years before I started reading for pleasure again

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

Venomous posted:

that said, seeing as this isn't from a Chinese source, I am very much taking this with a grain of salt, but be prepared for folks to attack China based on their reported restrictions on abortion in the coming days

not really much to go on aside from some broad and unspecified mention of new policies, not exactly 'get raped and carry uncle jim's baby to term' here

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Venomous posted:

Wow imagine a country restricting abortion like this!!! As an American I am outraged!! How c- wait I'm getting a message

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Office Pig posted:

not really much to go on aside from some broad and unspecified mention of new policies, not exactly 'get raped and carry uncle jim's baby to term' here

one bad thing that’s new as of last year iirc, if a married woman wants an abortion she now has to get her husband’s permission. you didn’t used to need that

alongside that they’ve made it significantly harder to actually get divorced

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Jesus was this a case of the books still having old rear end laws while the states/prefectures had more sensible ones and no one bothered updating the old ones?

Yes, the national level laws were outdated and nobody bothered to go back and update them. A lot of our legal/civil code is still based on carried-over Spanish law, as well as American law from the Commonwealth/colonial period, that's just been amended over and over.

Or in this case, it hasn't yet.

And this is NOT a case of local governments having more sensible ones, because there is no applicable lower-level jurisdiction as with American states or what-have-you.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

one bad thing that’s new as of last year iirc, if a married woman wants an abortion she now has to get her husband’s permission. you didn’t used to need that

eugh, can't say that really leaves me with room for optimism, hopefully it's more fringe stuff like sex-selective abortions but i'm not going to hedge on it

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Grapplejack posted:

You know if the Michaels were actually spies they would have just been killed, right? China killed a bunch of US spies in the 2010s and no one cared

they didn't kill them because they wanted Meng back

fart simpson
Jul 2, 2005

DEATH TO AMERICA

Office Pig posted:

eugh, can't say that really leaves me with room for optimism, hopefully it's more fringe stuff like sex-selective abortions but i'm not going to hedge on it

well it's been illegal for a long time in china for the doctor to tell you the sex of your unborn baby, for exactly that reason

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Pener Kropoopkin posted:

Sure they can.

Nuclear exchanges aren't going to be triggered unless it's over something either party considers existential. The cost of the exchange has to be considered worth the price of preserving somebody's claim to something or other. In that case, China's claim to Taiwan is more of an existential issue to them than it is to us - but even then China would not bring the nukes out because they have the material advantage and would win. The US isn't going to just launch nukes because it feels humiliated, either.

The most likely outcome is that there's not going to be a war at all, because the United States is too afraid of losing. OTOH, there could be a war because military planners or the White House want to use a loss as an excuse to either reform or supercharge the MIC.

neither China or the USA has a population that would tolerate the humiliation of just straight up losing a conventional war. war isn't just about the people at the top making grand strategies

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Rutibex posted:

neither China or the USA has a population that would tolerate the humiliation of just straight up losing a conventional war. war isn't just about the people at the top making grand strategies

What the public is willing to "tolerate" doesn't really matter. The question is what the reaction will be. The most likely reaction is a build up to try and do it again, only "we'll win this time."

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy

fart simpson posted:

well it's been illegal for a long time in china for the doctor to tell you the sex of your unborn baby, for exactly that reason

i haven't the foggiest how much practice it enjoys now or if those numbers are even available. it'd be kind of unnerving to think people would power through the threat of government penalties just to terminate a female fetus, but it's not like dumber poo poo hasn't been on the radar 24/7 lately

Al-Saqr
Nov 11, 2007

One Day I Will Return To Your Side.
if thats the case then why didnt america and the USSR directly fight each other in places like Cuba and Vietnam or Afghanistan if those arent 'existential' issues. there's a reason why world superpowers havent fought each other yet and the reason is Nukes.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
if you really want to play with hypotheticals you might wonder if other existential pressures wouldn't push the great powers of the globe to engage in more hazardous and confrontational behaviors with one another, pursuits driven by necessity as opposed to ambition, control or ideological containment

personally i think this insane but it's not always a game of sanity

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

Al-Saqr posted:

if thats the case then why didnt america and the USSR directly fight each other in places like Cuba and Vietnam or Afghanistan if those arent 'existential' issues. there's a reason why world superpowers havent fought each other yet and the reason is Nukes.

They weren't existential issues. The closest it ever got was the Cuban Missile Crisis, but Kruschev blinked and made a deal. Imperial contests in far flung former colonies aren't remotely on the same level as an existential interest, no matter what the rhetoric claims.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Xi best not wake the sleeping giant.

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
sober up dogboy :cheersdoge:

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Office Pig posted:

Sex selection abortion has been outlawed since the start of one-child policy.

You would have to bribe your doctor a lot of money to find out the sex of your unborn baby.

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

When I was a kid they used to say that they would have a bucket of water next to beds when chinese women gave birth and if it was a girl they would drown her in it

pretty sure I got that from some fundies though

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

Feldegast42 posted:

When I was a kid they used to say that they would have a bucket of water next to beds when chinese women gave birth and if it was a girl they would drown her in it

pretty sure I got that from some fundies though

I read on one of the book about India, in one of the hospital, record showed the sex of the aborted children in a x year period was 1 male baby vs like 1 thousand plus female baby. Can't remember which recent India book, could have been "The Billionaire Raj"

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

R. Guyovich posted:

return wasn't official until i found the old av.

wonderign how long youll get to keep it

lollontee
Nov 4, 2014
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=od6Js490cWI

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

Al-Saqr posted:

Seeing American/Australian/UK media really hyping up a cold war and going full blast against china really underscores how actually dangerous anglo-saxon countries are, that you can essentially do nothing to them, you can play by their rules, but they will always somehow come up with ghost stories and work themselves up into a frenzy to attack you based off of something they made up in their own heads and when they do attack you they've already established a narrative of self defense on it based on nothing. it happens every loving time in history.

Them + Israel are easily the most dangerous and thus worst countries in the world.

Just can't stop themselves from being violent against others for no goddamn reason.*

*except actually the reason is because it'll make them (aka those running those countries) money. Which is somehow worse.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?

fart simpson posted:

chairman Xi please stop being a dickhead thank you.

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

gradenko_2000 posted:

Yes, the national level laws were outdated and nobody bothered to go back and update them. A lot of our legal/civil code is still based on carried-over Spanish law, as well as American law from the Commonwealth/colonial period, that's just been amended over and over.

Or in this case, it hasn't yet.

And this is NOT a case of local governments having more sensible ones, because there is no applicable lower-level jurisdiction as with American states or what-have-you.

Ok, thats what I though. I have experience with bullshit laws from colonial times still being in books for some loving reason.

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

Ok, thats what I though. I have experience with bullshit laws from colonial times still being in books for some loving reason.

The other thing with Philippine law is that during the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos Sr., there were a number of years in the 70s and 80s when he was issuing laws by decree. No legislation.

Even after he was ousted, and even after we'd transitioned to a new constitution, the government was still respecting the decrees he issued with the force of law.

A couple of instances where this has real-world repercussions is that, for example, the coal industry here basically isn't taxed at all because he awarded control to a crony and then issued a decree exempting them from taxes so they'd get to keep all the earning.

Or that it's illegal to give alms to the poor.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

lmao isn’t the Phillipines very Catholic

Orange Devil
Oct 1, 2010

Wullie's reign cannae smother the flames o' equality!

indigi posted:

lmao isn’t the Phillipines very Catholic

Possibly more Catholic than Vatican City, yes.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me
its really hard to opine on chinese policies regarding births and abortions because its really just a very different and foreign situation to what exists in the west, particularly america. mostly it seems to me like they're trying things that have to do with the unique problems, especially the unintended effects of the decades of two child limits, that are being faced right now. doesn't mean dumbuck liberals mad about abortions or no abortions wont be screechy and racist about it, sadly.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

i say swears online posted:

has anyone asked how gradenko can read eighteen books a week with full highlights and annotation

grandenko is literally the CIA employing 80 staffers to read and post

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019
grandenko can I have a job

Atrocious Joe
Sep 2, 2011

gradenko_2000 posted:

The other thing with Philippine law is that during the dictatorship of Ferdinand Marcos Sr., there were a number of years in the 70s and 80s when he was issuing laws by decree. No legislation.

Even after he was ousted, and even after we'd transitioned to a new constitution, the government was still respecting the decrees he issued with the force of law.

A couple of instances where this has real-world repercussions is that, for example, the coal industry here basically isn't taxed at all because he awarded control to a crony and then issued a decree exempting them from taxes so they'd get to keep all the earning.

Or that it's illegal to give alms to the poor.

is there still a panic over mini food pantries being a communist plot

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

is caixin global worth a discounted subscription? I read them quite a bit at the start of the pandemic. How is their coverage on other matters these days?

Not So Fast
Dec 27, 2007

Venomous posted:

https://twitter.com/ChinaLawTransl8/status/1442551422550044681

Sigh, same poo poo as the "sissy boys" articles.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

this doesn’t really tell us anything new tbh, by what methods are they seeking to reduce them?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ardennes
May 12, 2002
I am not that surprised about increase emphasis on pronatalism and a diminishing of reproductive rights not only in China (it whatever capacity it turns out to be) but also the US and potentially Europe as well (Russia also put some restrictions on abortion several years ago). Birth rates are falling pretty much across the board at the moment and one of the new fronts in the second cold war is literally trying every way possible to create more workers/consumers. It is pretty dire across the board.

The actual battle at the moment is economic and who can push their economy faster (and trade routes are apart of that.)