Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
favourite number
This poll is closed.
835 3 2.29%
2 14 10.69%
3,400,981 17 12.98%
11 19 14.50%
21 13 9.92%
7070 12 9.16%
58008 53 40.46%
Total: 131 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

hatty posted:

I can’t watch YouTube streamers, I end up just playing a game while “watching” them and eventually just switch all my attention to the game. I last about twenty minutes before losing interest. If it’s a group it makes it a bit more exciting but a single person just playing a game alone in a room is the dullest thing in the world, and my monitor is on even!

That's because you're not on twitch doing pogs and catJAMs and kekws and hype trains chooo chooo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

StoryTime posted:

Wow this is so much better than the dumb meme with the "I'm a gamer so I choose to have many lives instead of no life" text, that has like 8 gun toting characters depicting the exact same juvenile power fantasy.

Let me actually look it up, oh here it is:

Did anyone ever figure out if this was actually sincere, or some kind of a subtle ironic joke?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

go off kings tier list

s: jf, db, dan, demi
a: stefan, tom, derek, dril when he doesn't have the voice mod
b: bakkoon
c: dril with the voice mod

awful: chris

MMF Freeway
Sep 15, 2010

Later!

Zurtilik posted:

Stux should do video game essays. I would watch them.

Developers Need to Stop Ptuting the Crosshair in FPS Games Below Center its So Stupid - 6:08:11

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

go off kings tier list

s: jf, db, dan, demi
a: stefan, tom, derek, dril when he doesn't have the voice mod
b: bakkoon
c: dril with the voice mod

awful: chris

yup. this. except derek is also s tier

MMF Freeway posted:

Developers Need to Stop Ptuting the Crosshair in FPS Games Below Center its So Stupid - 6:08:11

thank you for remembering, and its absoltuely true

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

oddium posted:

i don't subscribe to the dutch guy that does rct2 videos but if i see one i'll usually watch it. it's funny when the title of one of his videos is a question like "does mowing grass do anything ??" and the thumbnail is a big NO

That reminds me I should continue watching that video series by the guy who mobilizes a critique of capitalist urban planning by looking at the game mechanics of Cities: Skylines

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

will put derek in s tier but won't listen to his travel podcast. okay. normal world

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

That reminds me I should continue watching that video series by the guy who mobilizes a critique of capitalist urban planning by looking at the game mechanics of Cities: Skylines

donoteat hey how about doesnotupload hahahaha. justin if you're reading this i'm sorry

Weedle
May 31, 2006

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

he is also on a pretty entertaining podcast about famous engineering disasters called "well there's your problem." they are all something awful expatriates and it can be a little obnoxious when they go off on in-jokey tangents but it's a very informative podcast that i've learned a lot from, most notably "never stand on anything but the ground"

Weedle
May 31, 2006

whenever you see an impressive structure such as a suspended walkway that makes you think "wow it's amazing that they figured out how to build this in such a way that it's safe and reliable" it's like well, yeah, maybe

Simone Magus
Sep 30, 2020

by VideoGames
very late to say: Iconoclasts freaking rocks

Amp
Sep 10, 2010

:11tea::bubblewoop::agesilaus::megaman::yoshi::squawk::supaburn::iit::spooky::axe::honked::shroom::smugdog::sg::pkmnwhy::parrot::screamy::tubular::corsair::sanix::yeeclaw::hayter::flip::redflag:

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

that dude is a goon too

Weedle
May 31, 2006

the worst structural collapse in american history prior to 9/11 was in 1981, when a suspended walkway in the hyatt regency in kansas city failed and fell directly onto the walkway below it, crushing everyone on that walkway, which also immediately failed and fell onto the ground floor, crushing a bunch more people. listen to episode 4 of the podcast to learn about the astonishingly stupid and negligent engineering decisions that led to the initial failure (spoiler alert: don't run a bolt through a weld, ever, you loving idiots)

Weedle fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 27, 2021

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
IIRC they changed the design of the walkway supports to save a few bucks on rods and bolts but didn't realize (or care) that this effectively halved their strength

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

oddium posted:

will put derek in s tier but won't listen to his travel podcast. okay. normal world

https://i.imgur.com/2Gepput.mp4

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

donoteat also is win

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Weedle posted:

he is also on a pretty entertaining podcast about famous engineering disasters called "well there's your problem." they are all something awful expatriates and it can be a little obnoxious when they go off on in-jokey tangents but it's a very informative podcast that i've learned a lot from, most notably "never stand on anything but the ground"

Do they ever talk about the Johnstown flood of 1889?

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

yes

Weedle
May 31, 2006

FirstAidKite posted:

Do they ever talk about the Johnstown flood of 1889?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpMN2yHu3Y

i mostly listen to the show in my podcast player but it's better on youtube if that works for you because they have slides and stuff

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:
Tim Rodgers is a performance artist, I dont think hes meant to be taken seriously as a critic or analyst or whatever but if he does say something insightful then so be it

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

fridge corn posted:

Tim Rodgers is a performance artist, I dont think hes meant to be taken seriously as a critic or analyst or whatever but if he does say something insightful then so be it

cowards behavior

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Weedle posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iXpMN2yHu3Y

i mostly listen to the show in my podcast player but it's better on youtube if that works for you because they have slides and stuff

Cool

To summarize for those unfamiliar with it, the Johnstown flood of 1889 was largely the result of a rich unionbuster deciding he wanted to have his own little private hunting and fishing area. He had a dam built to create a fishing area for him and his rich buddies but he didn't want to make sure the dam was well built or properly maintained so it ended up breaking down and destroying a lot of the city beneath. An inclined plane was built a couple years after the flood so that if there was ever any major flooding again, the rich folk would have a way to easily get out of the valley and return to their homes at the top. During the flood there was a massive blockage at the stone bridge/seven arches bridge where a lot of debris, floodwater, steel mill runoff, coal factory runoff, all kinds of factory waste tbh, and people both living and dead got caught and tangled together. It caught fire and there were definitely people who survived the flood only to be dragged into a tangle of flood debris and drowned or burned alive trapped underneath the bridge's arches.

Ms. Unsmiley
Feb 13, 2012

Rarity posted:

I'm Bowsette

hello,,, big fa n

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

You wanna get through this?
Having a hearty chuckle that Tim Rogers talk happened on page 108.

I enjoy Tim's videos a lot and I find both his personal anecdotes and granular number crunching pretty fascinating. I will say some of his best stuff is when he is collaborating with someone. The Kotaku Death Stranding stream with Harper and Pokémon stream with Gita were a lot of fun.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The only thing Microsoft won't let me buy from them is Anodyne 2 so I think Im just gonna have to write it off

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool

To summarize for those unfamiliar with it, the Johnstown flood of 1889 was largely the result of a rich unionbuster deciding he wanted to have his own little private hunting and fishing area. He had a dam built to create a fishing area for him and his rich buddies but he didn't want to make sure the dam was well built or properly maintained so it ended up breaking down and destroying a lot of the city beneath. An inclined plane was built a couple years after the flood so that if there was ever any major flooding again, the rich folk would have a way to easily get out of the valley and return to their homes at the top. During the flood there was a massive blockage at the stone bridge/seven arches bridge where a lot of debris, floodwater, steel mill runoff, coal factory runoff, all kinds of factory waste tbh, and people both living and dead got caught and tangled together. It caught fire and there were definitely people who survived the flood only to be dragged into a tangle of flood debris and drowned or burned alive trapped underneath the bridge's arches.

Jesus, it really is true that whatever cartoonish mustache-twirling Saturday morning cartoon poo poo video games can come up with is less hosed than real life.

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Finally getting around to playing AI: The Somnium Files, and it's getting pretty good. I was not expecting Mizuki bench pressing

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

MMF Freeway posted:

Move the crosshair slightly to the left or right depending on the Dominant Eye setting in gameplay options

PunkBoy posted:

Finally getting around to playing AI: The Somnium Files, and it's getting pretty good. I was not expecting Mizuki bench pressing

Huge breasts.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
So many of those video game lit crit youtubers are just bad at condensing their thoughts into something concise and focused. Youtube as a whole is just one giant cautionary tale against not having any kind of editorial input on your work. idk how tim rogers gets away with it though because he's been in the trad media for long enough. just let someone go over your script with a red pen, honestly

The Dark Souls of Posters
Nov 4, 2011

Just Post, Kupo
he gets away with it because a lot of people like it op

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
the only time i felt a youtube essay was "too long" was noah caldwell ricky gervais or the other one's video on Fallout 4. It was sad, like, they knew it was a bad game, but then they played it so much for the video that they started to like it, but in a very stockholme syndrome kind of way that didn't make for a cohesive argument for why the game isn't as obviously lovely as was evident. Was like a 3 hour video of someone who hated doing something so much but did it so relentlessly that they came out the other end and started to like their torture, actually.

y'all tlaked about squid game but anyone finished alice in borderland? only a few eps in to that 1 and it seems kind of similar. Not as cool music stings tho

PunkBoy
Aug 22, 2008

Hwurmp posted:

Huge breasts.

Yeah, I do kinda wish Date would tone that down.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The Grumbles posted:

So many of those video game lit crit youtubers are just bad at condensing their thoughts into something concise and focused. Youtube as a whole is just one giant cautionary tale against not having any kind of editorial input on your work. idk how tim rogers gets away with it though because he's been in the trad media for long enough. just let someone go over your script with a red pen, honestly

My dude he wrote a fuckin novel length amount of words about FFXIII when it came and I'm not sure anywhere in that thing he ever gets to discussing the game itself. This is Tim Rogers edited down and tightened up

Arzaac
Jan 2, 2020

FirstAidKite posted:

Cool

God this one is incomprehensible to me

Like most of these disaster stories are like, oh he wanted to make a bunch of money and the safety of the public was never taken into consideration, which is ghoulish but you can understand his mindset

But something like this is like, the dude is trying to make something nice for himself, why is he trying to skimp on costs? Why not get the best? Fuckin rich people

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Last Celebration posted:

Jesus, it really is true that whatever cartoonish mustache-twirling Saturday morning cartoon poo poo video games can come up with is less hosed than real life.

Henry Frick (the rich guy who had the dam built and also spent his life busting unions) called the pinkertons on the his striking employees and the results were so bad that people died and the military had to be called in to quell the violence.

Frick sucks and has played a large role in setting back unions because many people will look at unions and point out how violent the strike was and that this was obviously a problem with the employees striking and trying to unionize, not a problem with their boss calling armed mercenaries to break up the strike.

Here're some pics of the seven arches bridge. The bridge is still there and still sees a lot of use.

LawfulWaffle
Mar 11, 2014

Well, that aligns with the vibes I was getting. Which was, like, "normal" kinda vibes.

Simone Magus posted:

very late to say: Iconoclasts freaking rocks

Yeah, it does. I was really impressed by the whole package. Presentation is great and the story felt unique. Feel free to post your thoughts when you beat it/burn out.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

PunkBoy posted:

whoever animamted this has never seen a bench in use lmao

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

The Grumbles posted:

youtubes algo absolutelyt favors making giant videos which then get pushed to people and then thats all they watch and so thats all anyone makes and all sense of qualitative discernment goes out theh window for the power of the algorithm. ftw

FirstAidKite
Nov 8, 2009

Arzaac posted:

But something like this is like, the dude is trying to make something nice for himself, why is he trying to skimp on costs? Why not get the best? Fuckin rich people

It makes more sense when you remember that he is staunchly against things like paying workers to do things. If it's cheap and it holds, no skin off his nose, he'll be at the top if it breaks anyway so it's not like he has anything to worry about. Besides, he's rich, he can just pay his way out of anything.

Then someone tried to assassinate him and failed and that just furthered his beliefs that he's the victim in all of this and that the people striking and unionizing and building the poo poo he wants built don't deserve to be treated with any kind of care.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

FlowerRhythmREMIX posted:

he gets away with it because a lot of people like it op

i feel like what you're saying applies to most crummy content incentivised by curatorial algorithms tho