Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Hey everyone, besides the game jam thread, is there a making board games thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

It's kinda defunct but yeah https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3518654

Tom Tucker
Jul 19, 2003

I want to warn you fellers
And tell you one by one
What makes a gallows rope to swing
A woman and a gun

Hostage Negotiator Career is super fun but crazy expensive one player game. SUSD did a great review of it!

One of the base games is fun but it needs the legacy career mechanic to really shine IMO.

El Fideo
Jun 10, 2016

I trusted a rhino and deserve all that came to me

Have we found out yet what will be the stretch goals for the asmodee sale?

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Played Root today with the expansion factions (sans lizards, since I figured we might need anpther military-heavy faction to counter moles).

Turns out if you don't take care of Corvid plots, then theyre all used to play a Favour card, annihalatiing half the forces on the board and scoring a ton of points, followed by revealing them for a ton of points. Good to find that out!

33 points vs second highest of 13.

!Klams
Dec 25, 2005

Squid Squad

DashingGentleman posted:

TYVM, made a note of this.
Having only read through the rules, the “battles cost spice” variant seemed like a bit much. But then some other “advanced” rules seem really cool and essential - like why would you ever play the bene gesserit without the advisor mechanic or the fremen without the sandstorm weather alert.

Like it's kiiind of a mess, to be honest, but it means the fremen have a combat attrition advantage that they really need to be the kingmakers they are. Having two spice blows is much better for the game, but then you do really need this extra outlet for the economy to work, so, its sort of a necessary evil.

Basically we play where you just commit the forces and stuff, and then immediately just pay up after, before really taking a look at the dials, rather than having to have it all in your hand.

At first it feels like it's going to be horrible, but actually, you can always talk through what someone's options are before they commit, you never really have to do math under pressure or anything. It's really the only part of the game we feel like could be 'fixed'. There's tons of other ambiguities, but they're all actually either answered on BGG or the FAQ, or are just really corner cases.

Oh, there is a variant where after the shield wall gets blown up, it counts as a stronghold (that's not protected from the storm). I personally really like this as a rule, because it makes family atomics much more meaningful without the weather control combo, and just makes for a more exciting game. If you play that, you do really have to make it known before the game. We did it once early on, and really liked it, but forgot about it, I'm going to reinstate it.

Fellis
Feb 14, 2012

Kid, don't threaten me. There are worse things than death, and uh, I can do all of them.

DashingGentleman posted:

TYVM, made a note of this.
Having only read through the rules, the “battles cost spice” variant seemed like a bit much. But then some other “advanced” rules seem really cool and essential - like why would you ever play the bene gesserit without the advisor mechanic or the fremen without the sandstorm weather alert.

The second spice blow puts more spice onto the game, and it also makes combat a little less predictable, because now you need to think about the spice spend also. It sounds confusing but it’s a good dynamic.

Also buy unsweetened cranberry juice to sip during mentat phase and stain those lips. If you search Klams! post history ITT I think he (or someone else) made a sandworm shaped cinammon bread, that is another great idea.

Dune is an event game, so it’s good to spice it up :imunfunny:

Truther Vandross
Jun 17, 2008

Tom Tucker posted:

Hostage Negotiator Career is super fun but crazy expensive one player game. SUSD did a great review of it!

One of the base games is fun but it needs the legacy career mechanic to really shine IMO.

I’ll second this. I bought the base and expansions shortly after all the covid stuff started and I played it a ton last year. Very fun game.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Fellis posted:

The second spice blow puts more spice onto the game, and it also makes combat a little less predictable, because now you need to think about the spice spend also. It sounds confusing but it’s a good dynamic.

Also buy unsweetened cranberry juice to sip during mentat phase and stain those lips. If you search Klams! post history ITT I think he (or someone else) made a sandworm shaped cinammon bread, that is another great idea.

Dune is an event game, so it’s good to spice it up :imunfunny:

I was going to do a Dune game day and then we all go see the movie afterwards, but :lol: lockdowns.

We we going to randomly assign out the factions, and you would have been expected to rock up in the shittiest cosplay possible.

Spice must flow babyyyyy

Crackbone
May 23, 2003

Vlaada is my co-pilot.

El Fideo posted:

Have we found out yet what will be the stretch goals for the asmodee sale?

Layoffs

HouseOfLeaves99
Mar 20, 2009

I want AEW to pay me the big $$$$ to port their roster into the Spartacus game style

SettingSun
Aug 10, 2013

Morpheus posted:

Played Root today with the expansion factions (sans lizards, since I figured we might need anpther military-heavy faction to counter moles).

Turns out if you don't take care of Corvid plots, then theyre all used to play a Favour card, annihalatiing half the forces on the board and scoring a ton of points, followed by revealing them for a ton of points. Good to find that out!

33 points vs second highest of 13.

Yeah don’t let the crows get too many plots out. They’re like the alliance where not stomping them can spiral out of control. Also the favor cards blow chunks and thankfully the second battle deck ditches them.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters

SettingSun posted:

Yeah don’t let the crows get too many plots out. They’re like the alliance where not stomping them can spiral out of control. Also the favor cards blow chunks and thankfully the second battle deck ditches them.

This may be the incident that gets me to finally open that second deck I've had for a while now.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
Hunted: Kobayashi is also a really neat little quick game you can play solo but holy poo poo is it hard. I don't quite get it but I enjoy the anime Die Hard.

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
Just paid a really silly amount for Pax Pamir 2E. Gonna just tell myself that this game is going to be worth it. Just gotta find someone who wants to play lol :(

Mr. Squishy
Mar 22, 2010

A country where you can always get richer.
:(

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

I've tried playing boss monster solo, and munchkin solo but it's not the same, even for Moonrakers, which has a solo component, it's not as dynamic since you're missing the interpersonal aspect. Are there any single player dungeon crawls or deck builders? Been playing a little bit of the pathfinder card game past few days, but the digital version is missing like 80% of that content with no updates in sight

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem

GreenBuckanneer posted:

single player dungeon crawls

Gloomhaven, if you don't mind playing multi-handed.

The Eyes Have It
Feb 10, 2008

Third Eye Sees All
...snookums
Finally cracking open Sword & Sorcery but oh my god, what an rear end rulebook. It's sloppy in so many ways; I could list it all but I don't want to think about it any more than I have to. BONUS: Hope you know your fantasy tropes well because it also features fun things like the terms AoE and L.O.S. being used willy nilly without them once being defined (OK, technically LOS is defined for the first time on like page 37 or some poo poo.) You or I might not stumble on that, but my gaming partner, who decided to learn the rules because they wanted to play, does not know any of that poo poo.

The rulebook is the kind of drek that has in the past made me dump a game straight onto the SELL pile, unplayed, despite having learned the rules (Lifeform has this honor, among a very few others.) Over 50 pages of rules, and for a game that is probably 80-90% combat I was past the halfway point and observed that combat STILL hasn't been explained even a little.

The only saving grace is that the gameplay seems like it might have good elements that are worth a try. But even then, the layout of the game structure looks so fiddly that I can only hope it's just not that bad in practice, because after reading the mess of modifiers and phases that is the combat section I very nearly lol-noped out again at the thought of dealing with all that poo poo.

There are some neat ideas in here but goddamn this game has dug itself into a hell of a hole already and I haven't even played it yet.

nordichammer
Oct 11, 2013

GreenBuckanneer posted:

I've tried playing boss monster solo, and munchkin solo but it's not the same, even for Moonrakers, which has a solo component, it's not as dynamic since you're missing the interpersonal aspect. Are there any single player dungeon crawls or deck builders? Been playing a little bit of the pathfinder card game past few days, but the digital version is missing like 80% of that content with no updates in sight

Too Many Bones scratches the Dungeon crawl itch because it is a dice chucker. If you are fine playing several characters yourself, Adventure Tactics is also worth a look.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.

Jewmanji posted:

Just paid a really silly amount for Pax Pamir 2E. Gonna just tell myself that this game is going to be worth it. Just gotta find someone who wants to play lol :(

WHERE!?

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003

eBay. Don’t be too jealous, I paid $130 for it. And I didn’t even get the metal coins :(

Mayveena
Dec 27, 2006

People keep vandalizing my ID photo; I've lodged a complaint with HR

Jewmanji posted:

eBay. Don’t be too jealous, I paid $130 for it. And I didn’t even get the metal coins :(

HMMM, I think I'd like the $130 and my copy hasn't been played in two years! However I have found a couple of new gaming groups that might be willing to play? I'll have to think on it.

Memnaelar
Feb 21, 2013

WHO is the goodest girl?

I think there's a copy for $85 in a BGG Seattle flea market listing atm.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Dammit.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love
I thought Cole said in his most recent email the reprinted copies will be hitting the streets soon so I wouldn't stress about getting a copy from a scalper if you can hold off for a few months. The game is really good though...

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

FulsomFrank posted:

I thought Cole said in his most recent email the reprinted copies will be hitting the streets soon so I wouldn't stress about getting a copy from a scalper if you can hold off for a few months. The game is really good though...

That's my plan.

I just don't want to miss that too.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

How is "Draconis Invasion"? Seems it's listed as 1-6 players and it's $52 and the expansions are $37 + 25 + 31 (for extra cards)

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Get my 2nd Pfizer jab today, so gently caress it while I'm in a good mood I've ordered Castles of Burgundy and Royal Visit

My collection is getting nice and beefy.

Ropes4u
May 2, 2009

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you guys have any favorite board games that have solo capability, either physical or digital?

One deck dungeon
GMTs COIN Games
Spirit island
D-Day series
Any hex and counter war game

When traveling for work I usually have some Of the current years solo pnp contest games from BGG along with me.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna
I checked out one deck Galaxy at Gencon and it’s very cool. Looks like a significant step forward from the first.

Zaphiel
Apr 20, 2006

Fun Shoe

GreenBuckanneer posted:

Do you guys have any favorite board games that have solo capability, either physical or digital?

Tiny Towns and Cartographers. In fact, I think Tiny Towns solo has ruined the regular game for me, since I was always about the puzzle aspect rather than the 'screw people over' aspect.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Concordia Digital is out. Among other things, it includes:

$30 DLC to play Salsa, Venus or any alternate maps, and you can't buy them separately
A maximum of three AI players in a game that plays up to 6
No realtime online play mode

Sad to say, I think I'll be skipping this one.

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Jedit posted:

Concordia Digital is out. Among other things, it includes:

$30 DLC to play Salsa, Venus or any alternate maps, and you can't buy them separately
A maximum of three AI players in a game that plays up to 6
No realtime online play mode

Sad to say, I think I'll be skipping this one.

The price point + DLC/season pass and lack of real-time multiplayer is shocking, to be honest. I'll wait for a sale since I don't mind playing with bots.

Redundant
Sep 24, 2011

Even robots have feelings!
In cool gaming news I got an unexpected email saying that my order was shipping. I had kind of forgotten that I had ordered AFfO but it is now arriving sometime this week. I have a game night lined up for late October which I was going to fill with Knizia games and Chinatown but I guess I might be switching it up a bit. There's no stopping a Viking invasion after all.

homullus
Mar 27, 2009

Redundant posted:

I had kind of forgotten that I had ordered AFfO

A Fugue for Odin

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Goons, your time has come
https://twitter.com/Cephalofair/status/1442598600786137090?s=19

Magnetic North
Dec 15, 2008

Beware the Forest's Mushrooms

Jedit posted:

Slight correction here: That''s the "season pass" which for the uninitiated is basically a way to pre-buy the DLC before it comes out. Companies love that poo poo, for obvious reasons. The reason you can't buy them separately is (presumably) that none of those DLCs are released yet.

Here are things it does have based on a cursory glance, having only completed the tutorial: A game action log, and sensible undo functionality, just like TTA has (and like Root got eventually). Also, room creators have the ability to turn on or off seeing opponent's known points and cards as you please, since it's technically public information but the normal play of the game obfuscates it. (If you've played on boitejeux, you know what I'm talking about.)

Only having one-day as the shortest option is kinda lean, but maybe faster times can be added, even if it's the live-but-waits-for-full-turns like TTA does it.

And yeah, it is pricey. $19 not on sale, and if we assume the season pass will be a 20% discount, the 5 paid DLC will be $8 each. Oof.

e: Also, I just created a solo 6 player game against 5 computer opponents. Have not tested that in an online game yet.

Magnetic North fucked around with this message at 20:50 on Sep 28, 2021

Viper915
Sep 18, 2005
Pokey Little Puppy

Yeah, I agree the app has some shortcomings, but a lot of those criticisms I don't believe are valid.

As mentioned, the dlc is not yet released, so pricing is yet to be revealed, but, on steam at least, they are listed in a way to imply they will be individually available outside of the season pass. The real time thing seems like a disappointment, but one of the devs said that if you choose to play with someone at the same time, it will function just fine. This should be ok for playing with friends you communicate with outside of the app, but it's unfortunate for playing with random people. I'm confused about the player count thing, did you actually try to add players? It goes right up to 6 just fine, which is actually more players than base Concordia plays anyways. The app is only $10 on mobile compared to $19 on steam, which is par for the course for board game adaptations, although always frustrating.

I'm not sure I enjoy the map perspective, I find it hard to parse the overall game state without scrolling all over. This seems to be a challenge in several board game apps as well. I also wish there was a mini map to show the province production bonuses, as in the cardboard version, instead of a little flag in each province boundary. It also was somewhat battery intensive, although I haven't tried it with the lower fps option selected. Considering I got it "free" with Google survey bucks, and the fact that I love the game but don't get it to table nearly as much as I'd like, I'm willing to give this a shot for a bit and see how the devs support it. I can certainly understand waiting for a sale, or to see how it shakes out for a few months, but I also want to be fair about things that do seem to work fine, or are yet unreleased, before dismissing it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FulsomFrank
Sep 11, 2005

Hard on for love

Viper915 posted:

I'm not sure I enjoy the map perspective, I find it hard to parse the overall game state without scrolling all over.

This is what drives me insane about TTS. As neat as it is the inability to see anything without constantly scrolling all over the place is absolutely maddening and gives me motion sickness.