Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
is samurai deeper kyo worth reading? I vaguely remember reading some of it until scans ran out years ago

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I don't think it's very good but it's not awful or anything

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

So, speaking of failure, I read another cancelled jump title yesterday, the Last Saiyuki.

It was one of the more widely praised flops in Jump, if I remember the Western chatter right, so I figured I'd see what the story was there.

The story turns out to be some of the worst pacing I've seen. Now, shonen has varied over the years, in what a reasonable run length looks like, from Devilman-like short to 100 volume epics, but modern Jump tends to expect that you get moving fast. If the audience isn't hooked at the end of chapter 1, they're not going to be there for chapter 2. For some good examples of modern pacing, MHA ends volume 1 with Deku safely in hero school, about to do his first big practical (leading to his first battle against Bakugo, although that hasn't been revealed yet). JJK has Sukuna let loose to battle an enemy that's going to kill one of the three leads. Chainsaw Man is at the battle with Bat. Even an older manga like Bakuman has reached Jump's offices.

Saiyuki, by contrast, hasn't left the protagonist's house. It's huge expo-dumps and tiny steps forward. Where the first chapter usually has setting, first big battle, a few supporting characters, here the reveal of the conflict is thin on details and the nature of the setting is only given towards the end. The characters are alright, even if the dad is angling for a Gendo award, and the growth arc has some meat, but the actual plot doesn't hook you in. Worse, chapter 2 ends right before the hero beats his first monster, putting off until chapter 3 the usual payoff for chapter 1.

And that doomed it, I think. Too little, too slow. It's not bad, but it's not amazing enough to compensate for the slowdown, and the scramble around chapter 10 to get to a more conventional setup (hero organization, supporting cast, globetrotting, etc) is too late to pay off. We also get a conflict between power and empathy introduced that should have been there from the jump if it was going to be a central theme, and the new mentor... well, I feel kind of odd saying this, but he isn't enough of a badass for the traditions here.

I might go into more detail later, if I think about it, but it's easy to see why it failed, despite having virtues I can see making people like it.

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Started reading Witch Watch. It's really good, I like the cast

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Witch Watch is just behind Sakamoto Days for best new series in Jump for me

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's very low key, cute and funny.

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
kind of odd how no one seemed to react much at all to seeing a woman die horribly, though!

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

The Fairy Tail sequel manga is getting an anime adaption, that’s literally all we know so far:

https://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2021-09-11/fairy-tail-100-years-quest-sequel-gets-tv-anime/.177275

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

I'm having a hard time taking this guys tragic backstory in Red Hood seriously when his name is Bonkers.

Hypocrisy
Oct 4, 2006
Lord of Sarcasm

I'm not feeling PPPPPP.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm having a hard time taking this guys tragic backstory in Red Hood seriously when his name is Bonkers.

I'm usually a sucker for tragic backstories but this one left me cold.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Doesn't help that the character has been kind of a nobody before now. That's kind of the problem with the series right now is that none of the other candidates have been very interesting so it is kind of hard to care if they pass or fail.

Also this week's chapter of Dr Stone reveals that the story is entering into its final arc with the Moon shot story.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Red Hood radiating power cancellation energy with the action all being off-paneled to blow through backstory.

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

I'm banning "Feels like this is going to get canceled" posts.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Vote shit sandwich or the shit sandwich gets it!
Sakamoto Days: gently caress him up, Shin.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Magu-Chan is so loving heartwarming this week I'm gonna cry.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

red hood is super hit or miss on chapters but it's mostly been miss at this point imo

think the author has potential and the art's good but maybe this series ain't it

Grouchio
Aug 31, 2014

Manatee Cannon posted:

red hood is super hit or miss on chapters but it's mostly been miss at this point imo

think the author has potential and the art's good but maybe this series ain't it
Better luck next time I guess

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

You know, I like Mashle but the pacing is not great. This might be one I stop reading week to week and just check in periodically.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Mikl posted:

Sakamoto Days: gently caress him up, Shin.

My body is ready for Ultra Instinct Shin.

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Candy Flurry: I'll never forgive Shounen Jump.

Elusive Samurai: New enemies! And they look threatening!

Mashle: It's a chapter.

Red Hood: It's a chapter.

Robocco: I haven't read the newest chapter yet.

Sakamoto Days: Hell yeah my boy Shin finally getting some wins.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Candy Flurry: I'll never forgive Shounen Jump.

It's all the worse because of what replaced it, isn't it?

With Phantom Seer, the blow gets softened a little because it was getting chopped for something. Blue Box came out of the gate swinging, selling enough to get a 100K copy reprint for the first volume. Sure, sucks if you like Phantom Seer and don't like Blue Box, but the marketing logic is obvious. You want to get out something with that kind of buzz as soon as possible.

Candy Flurry getting canned makes sense with its sales and its surveys, sure. But its spot was taken by PPPPPP, and that's a bad manga. A really bad manga. Like, I wasn't in love with Candy Flurry, but it struck me as dull on a bad day, while PPPPPP is overwhelmingly terrible in every aspect.

(Also, speaking of terrible things, this week's Roboco reveals Gorilla's first major failing as a human being. He's a Chitoge fan.)

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Sakamoto: :suspense: Probably the best manga I read this weekend.The roughness of the art really sells it. But I also dig the interaction and I love that dumb sniper guy.

Mashle: After a few meh chapters, Mashle is kicking into high nonsense gear and I'm here for that stupidity.

Witch Watch: errr...is it me, or did Nico's chest increase in size while Morihito was under the spell? Cute chapter though. Seems like the Werewolf is going to fit in nicely.

Magu chan: Extraterrorestials! This is what we read Magu for.

Undead Unluck: Cool chapter.

Roboco: :allears:

Elusive: Setup.

Neru: I still don't know where this is going. But I still kinda like it.

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Oh right I was doing this, wasn't I? Sorry I missed a week or two.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
This is last week's right?

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I'm glad that Sakamoto Days is doing so well.

Reiche
Jan 28, 2009

I like my coffee with cream and lsd.

Ibblebibble posted:

I'm glad that Sakamoto Days is doing so well.

I was thinking exactly this as I scrolled to your post. I’m super surprised about how good it’s been

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Fabricated posted:

This is last week's right?

Yeah, the one whose chapters came out in English yesterday.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Aw I was hoping Mashle would go straight from tea party to tea beatdown.

regardless innocent zero did say he had 11 children so we need chaff to counter the chaff.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Suddenly remmebered reading something called Yuusha ga Shinda years ago when it had less than 50 or so chapters. I see now its been finished. Is it worth reading?

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Jose posted:

Suddenly remmebered reading something called Yuusha ga Shinda years ago when it had less than 50 or so chapters. I see now its been finished. Is it worth reading?

I haven’t read it for a while(so I didn’t read the ending or later chapters) but I remember it being okay but has a shitton of fanservice and is absolutely a vehicle for a bunch of the author’s fetishes. So, no?

chumbler
Mar 28, 2010

That sounds like some coward talk.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

chumbler posted:

That sounds like some coward talk.

Conscience makes cowards of us all

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Jose posted:

It's like if Helck had the level of fanservice as Fairy Tail or Fire Force. That's the best way to describe it. Also kneesocks, thighs, and comical male nudity on par with Grand Blue Dreaming.

doomrider7 fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 28, 2021

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
it's a manga about how horny is good and you should feel free to indulge your fetishes as long as it isn't hurting anyone. as you might imagine, that means the manga itself is very, very horny.

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
You keep thinking Kyle can't go any further.

Then he does.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
I’m confused, it feels like everyone is trying to dare me to read it. :psyduck:

Mikl
Nov 8, 2009

Darth TNT posted:

Read it, you coward

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

THIGHS

fake edit: This is incredibly relevant and you should read to understand the context.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Mikl posted:

Read it, you coward

I am! So far it's been pretty funny. (only like 4 chapters in)

Brought To You By posted:

THIGHS

fake edit: This is incredibly relevant and you should read to understand the context.

I get the context now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SgtSteel91
Oct 21, 2010

Too bad about Red Hood, I thought the art was pretty good

I'm worried now about Witch Watch :ohdear: