Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Cracker King posted:

Yes, but the real question is - is it a Rogue-Like or a Rogue Clone if it’s a Remake or a Remaster?

its got some roguelike influence but in the end its got a linear progression so i mean, not really.

edit: never mind i read the question wrong and thought it was about deathloop

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MrQueasy
Nov 15, 2005

Probiot-ICK

Caesar Saladin posted:

its got some roguelike influence but in the end its got a linear progression so i mean, not really.

edit: never mind i read the question wrong and thought it was about deathloop

Nethack and DCSS have linear progressions too!

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
and uh Rogue

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Literally all progress is linear progress.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
deathloop looks good but I'm not paying full price for a short single player game sorry op

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

You can't beat deathloop in one run though. I don't think so anyway.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

on console destiny you have to move a little fake-mouse cursor around with your thumbstick to navigate every menu, which is terrible
on pc destiny you have to hold the mouse button for like 3 seconds for every single ui action because they're all designed to require held button-presses on console for no good reason
it was extra terrible back when it had the bad old system of paint colors being consumables (and having a limited inventory for them), so if you wanted to sell off 20 copies of some ugly paint to make space for more paint drops you had to hold the button to confirm selling 20 times in a row

In a vacuum I could understand the hold a button thing as like, an alternative to endless messy "are you really sure??" pop ups. But it inevitably breaks down almost instantly because instead of solely using for it rare, highly specialized actions instead they make you do it dozens of times every 10 minutes as part of basic fundamental inventory management.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
AAA blockbuster games somehow manage to have the worst menus and UIs of any game so much of the time. Call of Duty and Battlefield having menus that use an absolutely tiny amount of a massive screen, and things like tiny autoscrolling text boxes. And absolutely no excuse for these things on any platform.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Better than the baffling mouse emulating ui ubi used in rear end creeds origin.

fridge corn
Apr 2, 2003

NO MERCY, ONLY PAIN :black101:

abigserve posted:

deathloop looks good but I'm not paying full price for a short single player game sorry op

It's not single player lol

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

John Murdoch posted:

In a vacuum I could understand the hold a button thing as like, an alternative to endless messy "are you really sure??" pop ups. But it inevitably breaks down almost instantly because instead of solely using for it rare, highly specialized actions instead they make you do it dozens of times every 10 minutes as part of basic fundamental inventory management.

I know what you mean - I think the idea is that holding the button is more elegant and stylish than having a couple of confirm pop ups, but I think it's actually just less satisfying and slower for the sake of not having what I'm sure a UX designer thinks of as visual clutter. It's one of those design things that I think seems cooler to the designer than the user, who gets tired of it after about 3 uses.

Fast clicking through menus you know inside out to do something is better than having to wait for a UI animation every time. We're talking about milliseconds here but that stuff matters in this area.

Poil
Mar 17, 2007

roomtone posted:

It's one of those design things that I think seems cooler to the designer than the user, who gets tired of it after about 3 uses.

Fast clicking through menus you know inside out to do something is better than having to wait for a UI animation every time. We're talking about milliseconds here but that stuff matters in this area.
Animated menus are awful.

Also waiting for excessively animated backgrounds in main menus with an awful bonus for having loud sound effects.

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
why would you ever put a mouse cursor in a game targeted at consoles

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Poil posted:

Animated menus are awful.

Also waiting for excessively animated backgrounds in main menus with an awful bonus for having loud sound effects.

Just got a flashback to Battle Chess on MS-DOS with a beeper.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
Don't forget the switch is literally an Nvidia tegra tablet from 2015. Like Nvidia made too many tegra x1s, couldn't sell them all, then Nintendo bought them and repackaged them and are still selling them for 300 bucks in 2021.

I have a wiiu because my buddy sold me his for 100 bucks when he bought a switch. I have over 15 games for it that are also available on the switch including Tokyo mirage sessions, captain toad, donkey Kong, Mario kart 8, botw, and many more.

Also super Mario 3d world is fun as poo poo to play with four people. Also I have like 70 GameCube games loaded up on my wiiu as well. It's so much better than the switch in every way except not being portable, but I have a 3ds for that.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

Don't forget the switch is literally an Nvidia tegra tablet from 2015. Like Nvidia made too many tegra x1s, couldn't sell them all, then Nintendo bought them and repackaged them and are still selling them for 300 bucks in 2021.

who cares moores law is dead computers aren't doubling in power every year any more

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

who cares moores law is dead computers aren't doubling in power every year any more

Computers aren't doubling in power every year, ergo playing games on a repackaged Casio watch from 1993 is equally as good.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

steinrokkan posted:

Computers aren't doubling in power every year, ergo playing games on a repackaged Casio watch from 1993 is equally as good.

do you think nintendo could make a better portable system at the same price?

i mean sure tablets that are more powerful than a Switch exist, but they cost $1000+

Caesar Saladin
Aug 15, 2004

Nintendo could make a better portable system if it had games on there

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Rutibex posted:

do you think nintendo could make a better portable system at the same price?

i mean sure tablets that are more powerful than a Switch exist, but they cost $1000+

No I don't, Nintendo sucks

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
The 2ds/3ds already exist and are cheaper so... Yes?

I would legit pay around 150-200 for a tv only 2ds console, there are so many good games for it and I want a bigger screen and the ability to play it while leaning back on my couch and not having to hold the thing.

I don't think they need their premier console to be portable. I just don't. I'd rather play Mario kart or Zelda on my couch. If I'm out in the world I already have a powerful rear end phone that can emulate everything up to GameCube with ease so why should I carry a second thing around with me just to game?

wilfredmerriweathr fucked around with this message at 15:46 on Sep 27, 2021

tripwood
Jul 21, 2003

"Cuno can see you're trying to shit him, but Cuno's unshittable, so fuck does Cuno care?"

Hint: He doesn't care.
Switch Lite graphics look like rear end for most games, it's super clunky and heavy, it super sucks. Most switch exclusives are total rear end (except Mario Odyssey, which owns)
Hope SMTV looks good enough without lag or I'm throwing that piece of poo poo out my window

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
Portable handhelds are for middleschoolers who will never amount to anything in life imo you don't need to have access to brain rotting entertainment 24 hours a day and on the go

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

I don't think they need their premier console to be portable. I just don't. I'd rather play Mario kart or Zelda on my couch. If I'm out in the world I already have a powerful rear end phone that can emulate everything up to GameCube with ease so why should I carry a second thing around with me just to game?

if it wasn't portable i would have never got it

the correct hardware for a pro gamer is a PC hooked up to your big TV at home and a Switch Lite for on-the-go (playing video games in bed). playing games on your phone is bad and wasteful of battery life

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat

Colonel Cancer posted:

Portable handhelds are for middleschoolers who will never amount to anything in life imo you don't need to have access to brain rotting entertainment 24 hours a day and on the go

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Colonel Cancer posted:

no one amounts to anything in life. we begin as dust and to dust we return.

enjoy your time between being dust as much as possible imho

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

Colonel Cancer posted:

I have zero need for a portable gaming device because I'm never "on the go" - I drive to work and back then sit on my couch, where in that packed schedule do I need portable gaming?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

AcidCat posted:

I have zero need for a portable gaming device because I'm never "on the go" - I drive to work and back then sit on my couch, where in that packed schedule do I need portable gaming?

Depends, what's your opinion on pooping at work?

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Colonel Cancer posted:

is scrolling Twitter on your phone during your commute any less brain rotting

WILDTURKEY101
Mar 7, 2005

Look to your left. Look to your right. Only one of you is going to pass this course.
Im a serious grownup. I dont need anything to keep me entertained. I just drink black coffee and stare at walls and think about Important Things like The President and The Economy. Fun is for idiots.

FoolyCharged
Oct 11, 2012

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!
Somebody call for an ant?

The 2ds/3ds already exist and are cheaper so... Yes?

I would legit pay around 150-200 for a tv only 2ds console, there are so many good games for it and I want a bigger screen and the ability to play it while leaning back on my couch and not having to hold the thing.

https://www.amazon.com/Nintendo-Wii-Console-Black-Deluxe-U/dp/B009AGXH64

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

itry posted:

Depends, what's your opinion on pooping at work?

Pro-Work Pooping crowd, for the record.

itry
Aug 23, 2019

Well, there you go. A perfect opportunity to squeeze in a gaming session.

AcidCat
Feb 10, 2005

But then when would I check Twitter?

itry
Aug 23, 2019

A pickle indeed

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer
Grownups do a goddamn crossword when they poop. You know this to be true

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I use a sharpyie and the stall door to play chess one move at a time. It's a play-by-poop, if you will.

itry fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Sep 27, 2021

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
i just don't ever want to play games outside my house

itry
Aug 23, 2019

I only play football at home too.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KonvexKonkav
Mar 5, 2014

Real adults don't play video games for fun, they do it so they can complain about them on the internet.