Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

Galler posted:

Buying tools is 50% making some task easier and 50% making sure you never need to do that task in the first place. In either case the money was well spent.

Very true. This is right up there with the 3 steps to make any diy project that you haven’t done before work are:

1) Staring
2) Swearing
3) Blood sacrifice

Without completing all 3 steps your project cannot be completed: if you have been staring at it for hours and swearing at yourself, then it’s time to get your hands in there until you injure yourself. Once you bleed on it everything will go more smoothly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!

therobit posted:

Very true. This is right up there with the 3 steps to make any diy project that you haven’t done before work are:

1) Staring
2) Swearing
3) Blood sacrifice

Without completing all 3 steps your project cannot be completed: if you have been staring at it for hours and swearing at yourself, then it’s time to get your hands in there until you injure yourself. Once you bleed on it everything will go more smoothly.

Blood is good lubricant.

Source: Period sex.

therobit
Aug 19, 2008

I've been tryin' to speak with you for a long time

wesleywillis posted:

Blood is good lubricant.

Source: Period sex.

Let he who hasn’t earned his red wings cast the first stone.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

No red wings.

Got my brown wings though

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

No red wings.

Got my brown wings though

...Because it was further into the period so it was more akin to BBQ sauce, or because you were shat upon during anal? No shade, just unclear on the details.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

Don't read this:
There is a user who frequents other parts of the forums whose name is "yeah I eat rear end". I have spoken those exact words before. Truthfully.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

wesleywillis posted:

Don't read this:
There is a user who frequents other parts of the forums whose name is "yeah I eat rear end". I have spoken those exact words before. Truthfully.

So the second one then*. Congratulations or condolences depending on if you enjoyed it.

*Anallingus counts as anal, its in the title.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter
Yall need Jesus.

Not that you're doing anything wrong. You just don't need to post about it!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
You want people posting about their tools in the middle of the night, this is what happens.

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Nah, it really doesn’t need to. Be better, y’all.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
Ummm. Okaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay.............

taqueso
Mar 8, 2004

:911:
:wookie: :thermidor: :wookie:
:dehumanize:

:pirate::hf::tinfoil:

Someone please open an advent calendar

Slugworth
Feb 18, 2001

If two grown men can't make a pervert happy for a few minutes in order to watch a film about zombies, then maybe we should all just move to Iran!

Galler posted:

Buying tools is 50% making some task easier and 50% making sure you never need to do that task in the first place. In either case the money was well spent.
I had so many people smugly tell me when I bought my snowblower that it would now probably never snow again. Like, awesome. I spent 600 bucks to never have to deal with snow again? Why would I be upset about that? This was not a recreational purchase. I wasn't looking forward to using it.

It kept snowing, so I sold it and moved to North Carolina.

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

taqueso posted:

Someone please open an advent calendar

If that's a sexual euphemism I'm out of this thread for good.

the spyder
Feb 18, 2011

cakesmith handyman posted:

.... if it is I need to cancel my order.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
Oh cool a bunch new posts in the tool thread, let's see- oh GOD :barf:

Time to guy a lotto ticket. These lugs are $8 each I ain't made of money.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.

cakesmith handyman posted:

I don't think it is, but I haven't been a practicing Catholic in a while.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

the spyder posted:

.... if it is I need to cancel my order.

Cancel, or buy more?

Krakkles
May 5, 2003

Just gonna go ahead and lean into it, huh?

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
I dont want to be anal about this, but shouldn't this thread be about tool handling?

IOwnCalculus
Apr 2, 2003

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

I dont want to be anal about this, but shouldn't this thread be about tool handling?

Always treat your tool with care, making sure it's clean and well lubricated.

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnjX4Wui894

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Switching gears from late night tool talk to talk about actual tools, I got a pair of Isotunes wireless earbuds about three months ago and they're probably the best tool purchase I've made in quite a while (they have fancier and less fancy versions): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN72KG8

They're basically 27dB corded earplugs that let you listen to music or podcasts or whatever while you're working. I used to just use a stereo in the garage and put on earmuffs when I needed them, but it was way too easy to go from quietly wrenching to "I just need to get this one bolt out with an impact while my head is in a wheel well, how bad could it be?" Now that I'm already wearing my hearing protection all the time its been a lot easier on my ears. Plus, when you pull them out they stick together with magnets and pause your music for you.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I took too long to type this out and we're back to late night again.

Uthor
Jul 9, 2006

Gummy Bear Heaven ... It's where I go when the world is too mean.
Neat. I've been on the ear muff train and it's great for me, but I've been using my regular earbuds when mowing the lawn.

Uthor fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Sep 27, 2021

cakesmith handyman
Jul 22, 2007

Pip-Pip old chap! Last one in is a rotten egg what what.

I either wear my noise cancelling headphones and listen to music or musicians earplugs. Neither are proper protection but my battery mower isn't that loud.

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Yeah I've been using my ER4 IEMs as earplugs for a while, they're not wireless but have a bit more protection I think. They also have these three-flange earplugs sans the headphones, and those easily fit into the little pocket in your jeans.

https://www.amazon.com/Etymotic-Research-ER4XR-Extended-Response/dp/B01GW786B4/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=er4&qid=1632730326&sr=8-3 (I have the older type)

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

Hearing protection is good. I wish I'd used it when I was younger. :smith:

I've been using 3M Work Tunes https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0723CYHPZ/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1 They're 24db NRR and work well for me in lawn mowing (electric mower, so mostly just using them for music) and power tool usage. They're cheap and should be a minimum standard.

dyne
May 9, 2003
[blank]
I have the work tunes too, but they're insufficient for my loud rear end commercial mower. I switched to wireless earbuds (tozo nc9) which block sound a fair bit themselves, plus some 3m earmuffs on top of those. The combo works great.

eddiewalker
Apr 28, 2004

Arrrr ye landlubber
The $15 worktunes gel pads made them much more wearable for me.

n0tqu1tesane
May 7, 2003

She was rubbing her ass all over my hands. They don't just do that for everyone.
Grimey Drawer

dyne posted:

I have the work tunes too, but they're insufficient for my loud rear end commercial mower. I switched to wireless earbuds (tozo nc9) which block sound a fair bit themselves, plus some 3m earmuffs on top of those. The combo works great.

This is what I do as well, muffs over buds. Makes it so I can listen to podcasts and understand them without cranking the earbud volume up over what I normally use.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So I might have to pull another engine. The harbor freight hoist was great with one exception: the reach was terrible. I was about a foot short to balance the motor. Does anyone make a similarly built (read:cheap) hoist with just a bit more reach? I'd go measure it but I already hate sold it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

n0tqu1tesane posted:

This is what I do as well, muffs over buds. Makes it so I can listen to podcasts and understand them without cranking the earbud volume up over what I normally use.

See, this is why I like the isotunes. As part of their OSHA certification, they won't even let you turn them up beyond 85dB, but it really doesn't matter because the noise reduction is on par with decent muffs. The main reason I got them over something like 3M's Worktunes is that I used to not always wear muffs when I should have if I was sticking my head under a car or someplace else where the bulk got in the way.

StormDrain
May 22, 2003

Thirteen Letter

Cat Hatter posted:

Switching gears from late night tool talk to talk about actual tools, I got a pair of Isotunes wireless earbuds about three months ago and they're probably the best tool purchase I've made in quite a while (they have fancier and less fancy versions): https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07FN72KG8

They're basically 27dB corded earplugs that let you listen to music or podcasts or whatever while you're working. I used to just use a stereo in the garage and put on earmuffs when I needed them, but it was way too easy to go from quietly wrenching to "I just need to get this one bolt out with an impact while my head is in a wheel well, how bad could it be?" Now that I'm already wearing my hearing protection all the time its been a lot easier on my ears. Plus, when you pull them out they stick together with magnets and pause your music for you.

Edit: Oh poo poo, I took too long to type this out and we're back to late night again.

Thank you this is a really useful recommendation.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

um excuse me posted:

So I might have to pull another engine. The harbor freight hoist was great with one exception: the reach was terrible. I was about a foot short to balance the motor. Does anyone make a similarly built (read:cheap) hoist with just a bit more reach? I'd go measure it but I already hate sold it.

I think all the cheap auto part store/HF ones are from the same supplier. I have an AC Delco one and have the same issues with reach. Went to HF to measure there one and it was identical down to the pins used to hold the bottom extension arms in. If I am pulling the engine from something where reach is an issue I usually pull it without the transmission which helps.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
So then where are we on the sketchy scale on a wood gantry hoist? I could use an actual LVL beam which is a step further than the 4x4 ones I typically see.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
I usually either take the bumper off for increased clearance or just be angry at it. The next highest load capacity one has longer legs I think - only other suggestion I'd have is to lengthen the front legs a couple feet and make a longer arm slide as well. You'll lose capacity at the end... But the hydraulic cylinder will probably go into bypass limiting that automatically anyways.

BigPaddy
Jun 30, 2008

That night we performed the rite and opened the gate.
Halfway through, I went to fix us both a coke float.
By the time I got back, he'd gone insane.
Plus, he'd left the gate open and there was evil everywhere.

Other thing that I do is keep my eye open for a gantry crane on FB and CL. The small one is like $1000 from HB not including the pulley etc… which is more than I want to spend to pull an engine a couple of times a year.

kastein
Aug 31, 2011

Moderator at http://www.ridgelineownersclub.com/forums/and soon to be mod of AI. MAKE AI GREAT AGAIN. Motronic for VP.
Covid has hosed this up for all of you because beater truck prices are insane now, but that's why I contraptioneered this Jeep crane years ago, it cost way less than a gantry.

It fits the bumpers I built for my Honcho, white Comanche, and the factory recovery points on my 5 ton. Depending what truck it is on and the boom angle, it can lift anywhere from 750 to 6000lbs and get it anywhere from 6 to 12ish feet in the air.

Would strongly recommend building something like this if you find yourself lifting heavy things with any regularity, especially if you don't have a hard work surface.

um excuse me
Jan 1, 2016

by Fluffdaddy
That is amazing. gently caress what I was talking about, tell me about that.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Commodore_64
Feb 16, 2011

love thy likpa

It looks like a gin pole, which is a great name for a cool ancient idea.