Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Country is literally grinding to a halt and the Labour party spend an entire conference tripping over their dicks in the most humiliating way possible.

edit: eighty-four read some effing orwell

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gonzo McFee
Jun 19, 2010

Random Integer posted:

I don't understand how even the most out of touch old Etonian type cant tell that "drive a van filled with amazon tat, which you can do on a regular license" and "drive a big loving truck loaded with thousands of litres of flammable liquid, which you can't do on a regular license" are massively different things.

Working class job = Any stupid oval office can do it.

CGI Stardust
Nov 7, 2010

Brexit is but a door,
election time is but a window.

I'll be back

Random Integer posted:

I don't understand how even the most out of touch old Etonian type cant tell that "drive a van filled with amazon tat, which you can do on a regular license" and "drive a big loving truck loaded with thousands of litres of flammable liquid, which you can't do on a regular license" are massively different things.
for the love of god don't tell Redmond this or he'll try and revoke any and all regulations that stop vans being filled with flammable liquid

BalloonFish
Jun 30, 2013

Fun Shoe

CGI Stardust posted:

for the love of god don't tell Redmond this or he'll try and revoke any and all regulations that stop vans being filled with flammable liquid

This was my first thought - not that they didn't appreciate the difference, but that they did know the difference and were going to tear up all the rules and regs so you could drive a lorry on a moped license or something. You can see it now - Help Drive Britain Forward.

Like when they let enthusiasts have a go at driving trains during the General Strike.

Regarde Aduck
Oct 19, 2012

c l o u d k i t t e n
Grimey Drawer
labour already spinning the resignation as a good thing for keith actually

seriously, if you haven't already, leave

escapegoat
Aug 18, 2013

Niric posted:

Can someone recommend a good trade union? I finally got around to leaving Unison, so if anyone has advice one to join for the charity sector that'd be much appreciated

Mind if I ask your reasons for leaving Unison? I'm a member myself and I've been finding them pretty toothless regarding current issues at my workplace and was thinking of joining another one.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

escapegoat posted:

Mind if I ask your reasons for leaving Unison? I'm a member myself and I've been finding them pretty toothless regarding current issues at my workplace and was thinking of joining another one.

Didnt they literally just overrule their members and support Starmers amendment to the leadership policy?

Pantsmaster Bill
May 7, 2007

I see Reeves has announced £28bn a year of spending on green policies, which on the face of it seems alright to me? I’m sure there’ll be any number of gotchas to it which makes it useless though, has anyone read into it yet?

Guavanaut
Nov 27, 2009

Looking At Them Tittys
1969 - 1998

Toilet Rascal
Everyone in pit towns to be retrained in cibber

keep punching joe
Jan 22, 2006

Die Satan!
Well played unions

https://twitter.com/peterwalker99/status/1442545944835264512

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

forkboy84 posted:

https://twitter.com/PippaCrerar/status/1442524697346945032?s=20

Going well in Brighton I see. This is the sort of thing I needed earlier this afternoon when I was in a lovely mood. Proper funny.

https://twitter.com/jrc1921/status/1442549322638319623?s=21

:thunk:

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

What is going wrong with that one (face is longer than it should be)
The hits keep coming and they don't stop coming

https://twitter.com/jeremycorbyn/status/1442540982311002119

Julio Cruz
May 19, 2006
looks like Jezza's finally learnt to stick the knife in

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

Sorry I thought you were a landlord when I gave you your old avatar!

goddamnedtwisto posted:

This came up last time everyone was panic buying - IIRC:

Petrol can only be sold in sealed plastic containers of up to 5 litres or metal containers of up to 10 litres (or, obviously, into the permanently-attached tank of a road-legal vehicle).

Carrying it on the road is the same - you can carry as much as you want in a permanently-attached tank, but you can only carry 5 litres in plastic or 10 litres in metal containers (although 25-litre containers are allowed outside the passenger compartment if they're securely attached).

You're also not allowed to store more than 20 litres of petrol (or 20 litres total of any inflammable liquid) at home, and it must be in "suitable containers".

Again IIRC diesel and kerosene are slightly slacker because they're not as big of a fire risk.

About 3 years ago, I (with some help from mum) cleared out the giant shed in my folks garden. The first thing we did was take out all the liquids that we could reach without moving too much stuff - including petrol, oil, paint stripper, paint, and god knows what. After clearing it with the local waste place first, we stuck it all in the back of the car and drove the 10 miles at about 20mph to the waste place praying noone would run into the back of us. The car is one of those mini cooper things, the back was right down and absolutely full. Considerably more than 20litres in there! Definitely the most terrifying part of the clear up!

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

OwlFancier posted:

None of that is ever going to loving happen with the UK though, the UK is not in the habit of doing anything actually good internationally and may in fact be structurally incapable of doing anything good internationally because the only thing we can export is bombs, noncing, and cricket.

Seems stupid to construct elaborate "ah but what if" scenarios when the plain and simple reality is that everything the UK does abroad is bad and the easiest way to improve it would be to build a big wall around the island to keep the natives in.

We used to be good at railways. Strange to be on a train station in Egypt which bore a striking resemblance to East Croydon train station albeit somewhat scruffier!
British railway engineering late 19th/early 20th century was fab.

Slightly adjacent: couldn't help noticing this fascinating, old article on the Palestinian railways.

https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/palestine.html

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018
Len McCluskey and John Spellar on Ch4 news there tearing strips off each other about Corbyn, it was some high level shithousery, basically the Simpsons meme of the monkey knife fight, and the crowd are the Ch4 camera crew

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

About 3 years ago, I (with some help from mum) cleared out the giant shed in my folks garden. The first thing we did was take out all the liquids that we could reach without moving too much stuff - including petrol, oil, paint stripper, paint, and god knows what. After clearing it with the local waste place first, we stuck it all in the back of the car and drove the 10 miles at about 20mph to the waste place praying noone would run into the back of us. The car is one of those mini cooper things, the back was right down and absolutely full. Considerably more than 20litres in there! Definitely the most terrifying part of the clear up!

We did the same, we inherited a relatives house where there had been a garage for 70+ years. It housed the first car in our town back then, and turned into the town's garage when others got theirs.
It wasn't big, but the floor sloped upwards towards the back. Then there was just a heap of rusted metallic debris chest high.
Clearing it out was like bomb disposal, we would find jars full of stuff that must have been oil or old engine remnants.
Then we found out the floor was actually level and it was just compacted poo poo from years and years of garage trash.
Thankfully our waste dump was a few minutes away.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

https://twitter.com/lewis_goodall/status/1442555117182537728?s=19

This lot are too good for such a shithole party.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

happyhippy posted:

We did the same, we inherited a relatives house where there had been a garage for 70+ years. It housed the first car in our town back then, and turned into the town's garage when others got theirs.
It wasn't big, but the floor sloped upwards towards the back. Then there was just a heap of rusted metallic debris chest high.
Clearing it out was like bomb disposal, we would find jars full of stuff that must have been oil or old engine remnants.
Then we found out the floor was actually level and it was just compacted poo poo from years and years of garage trash.
Thankfully our waste dump was a few minutes away.

Dad was somewhat of a hoarder (not as bad as on tv) but clearing out the shed we found so many duplicate items where he had obviously been unable to find something he already had and just bought a new one. It took 14 very hard labour days (non-consecutive and mostly just me) and numerous trips to the waste places.

I've got a lot of time for Zarah. I follow her on facebook. She's a very good egg.

Completely different but related to clear outs!

If anyone might be interested in 6 pairs of size 43/44 (UK size 9.5/10) womens shoes PM me. Mixed lot including some never worn, some high heels I can't walk in anymore.

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 20:52 on Sep 27, 2021

Vitamin P
Nov 19, 2013

Truth is game rigging is more difficult than it looks pls stay ded
It's weird how Starmer has almost perfectly modelled himself after the third Agent in the Matrix.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

He wishes! The big bloaty ham

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

https://twitter.com/GeorgePeretzQC/status/1442555588873949192?s=20

The words on the image read:

"So restrictive is this scheme in its confirmed design that the suspicion must remain that it is not really intended to be workable and exists mostly to make bad headlines go away."

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

https://twitter.com/bbclaurak/status/1442563471955005443?s=21

Have been thinking to myself that perhaps a large part of why the younger generation is so left-wing (outside of how plainly they get hosed over by older generations) and definitely a large contributing factor to distrust of the media is how easy it is to just see politicians and journalists outright lying these days. Back in the day you might remember something someone said but looking it up, confirming it, showing to others would have been such a pain. Now you can just do a quick Google or search someone's Twitter feed and be instantly letting everyone know.

AND YET the BBC chief political correspondent apparently can't believe that someone could just look this up and must be being pushed by some nefarious third party. As the replies all point out, this video is literally taken from Starmer's Twitter account less than 2 years ago. She's barely any older than me, how is she and virtually everyone else in political journalism so utterly unable to adapt to this?

Barry Foster
Dec 24, 2007

I think she's probably being highly disingenuous, safe in the knowledge that she will never, ever, ever, ever face consequences

E and so are the rest of them. Also they're all pretty stupid

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

https://twitter.com/joncstone/status/1442560006704939012?s=20

This is loving surreal.

Bobstar
Feb 8, 2006

KartooshFace, you are not responding efficiently!

I had to read that tweet 3 times to figure out which McDonald was which.

Don't Do What Donny Don't Does

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

Dad was somewhat of a hoarder (not as bad as on tv) but clearing out the shed we found so many duplicate items where he had obviously been unable to find something he already had and just bought a new one...

Somewhere on my property lives the hammer fairy.

Noxville
Dec 7, 2003

Bobstar posted:

I had to read that tweet 3 times to figure out which McDonald was which.

Don't Do What Donny Don't Does

The funny thing is that Starmer's tweet had written "McDonald's" instead of "McDonalds" and people probably found the tweet searching his account for mentions of Andy McDonald

Pistol_Pete
Sep 15, 2007

Oven Wrangler
Kuenssberg simply repeats the lines she's been given; there's no mystery about it.

Cast_No_Shadow
Jun 8, 2010

The Republic of Luna Equestria is a huge, socially progressive nation, notable for its punitive income tax rates. Its compassionate, cynical population of 714m are ruled with an iron fist by the dictatorship government, which ensures that no-one outside the party gets too rich.

Laura is just upset random people on twitter are better at her professed job than she is

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
who isnt terrible at their job in the youtube era though

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Jaeluni Asjil posted:

We used to be good at railways. Strange to be on a train station in Egypt which bore a striking resemblance to East Croydon train station albeit somewhat scruffier!
British railway engineering late 19th/early 20th century was fab.

Slightly adjacent: couldn't help noticing this fascinating, old article on the Palestinian railways.

https://www.railwaywondersoftheworld.com/palestine.html

Equally Muscovites who find themselves through extreme misfortune on the Eastern Front of London (Gants Hill) will find the tube station very familiar:

(London Transport had provided advice on the construction of the Moscow Metro; the architecture of the stations left a lasting impression on the staff who had travelled over there to help. Gants Hill in particular was a direct lift of the "People's Palace" design ethos the Soviets had used for the stations, and some people claim the design is intended to be a tribute to the Soviet Union's role in beating the Nazis. Possibly not coincidentally the architect of the station, Charles Holden, also designed Senate House for the University of London which was the model for the Ministry of Truth in 1984)

Just Another Lurker
May 1, 2009

Behold!.... The chosen one!

Probably/possibly not, given his supposed record of bullying. :shrug:

But he acts more human than Starmer ever was.

spiderbot
Oct 21, 2012

What's this #itWasAScam thing on twitter? Seems to be related to the Labour conference, but I can't work out what it actually refers to.

Jaeluni Asjil
Apr 18, 2018

spiderbot posted:

What's this #itWasAScam thing on twitter? Seems to be related to the Labour conference, but I can't work out what it actually refers to.

As far as I can tell, I think it refers to the anti-semitism claims made against people who are anti-colonialist and support basic human rights for Palestinians.

check out this twitter link:

https://twitter.com/hashtag/ItWasAScam?src=hashtag_click

Seems Louise Ellman has rejoined Labour and the Stairmaster has posted this:

https://twitter.com/Keir_Starmer/status/1442500896429158403?s=20

And here, for reference (I know its skwakbox but still...)

Louise Ellman disgusted to find Corbyn at the SAME Meyer (holocaust survivor) event that she is at.

https://skwawkbox.org/2018/08/01/video-ellman-appalled-to-find-out-corbyn-at-2010-meyer-event-that-she-personally-attended/

Jaeluni Asjil fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Sep 27, 2021

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
https://www.thetimes.co.uk/article/labour-revives-blairs-policy-on-crime-jsv5vhv0n

Let's party like it's 1997.

Doccykins
Feb 21, 2006

Noxville posted:

Have been thinking to myself that perhaps a large part of why the younger generation is so left-wing (outside of how plainly they get hosed over by older generations) and definitely a large contributing factor to distrust of the media is how easy it is to just see politicians and journalists outright lying these days.

There's that and there's also the government constantly making GBS threads on the younger generation to enrich or protect already wealthy old people like this

https://twitter.com/FT/status/1442205562947600386

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

"Tough on crime..." is 1993 poo poo.

https://www.newstatesman.com/uncategorized/2015/12/archive-tony-blair-tough-crime-tough-causes-crime

Needless to say, Labour weren't actually very good at dealing with the causes of crime, & instead stuck to braindead imbecilic poo poo like ASBOs

Lungboy
Aug 23, 2002

NEED SQUAT FORM HELP
They're also going after Patel as being ‘soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime’. Patel, known for such soft policy as "sinking boats of asylum seekers to stop them legally landing in the uk".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

radmonger
Jun 6, 2011

Lungboy posted:

They're also going after Patel as being ‘soft on crime, soft on the causes of crime’. Patel, known for such soft policy as "sinking boats of asylum seekers to stop them legally landing in the uk".

Paying people a salary to do crimes is as soft as it gets.