Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

Zerilan posted:

Looked up a summary of the movie because I had no idea what this even was or how it got to this loving terrible scene, but it's ironic as gently caress that the ending apparently involves one of the protagonists giving up the IP to their game because it's not the IP that matters it's the work and talent that goes into it considering the climatic battle is well... this poo poo.

the great irony of free guy is that the real world story is premised entirely on the idea that people would rather watch high level artificial intelligence interact in self curated environments than do pandery grand theft auto lootbox bullshit and the greek chorus scenes with youtubers talking about how awesome blue shirt guy is and ignoring the actual game itself would seem to back up this argument

but the movie itself clearly has zero faith that consumers are actually this introspective because of instead of doing an actual deep dive into what it would be like for an artifical intelligence to achieve sentience as we understand it in a grand theft auto clone we have all this focus on an obnoxious villain whose only apparent motivation is a desire to be an rear end in a top hat and then pandering bullshit that reaches its apex in that clip thats been making the rounds

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DoombatINC
Apr 20, 2003

Here's the thing, I'm a feminist.

https://i.imgur.com/0ZRG72R.mp4

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

Some Guy TT posted:

the great irony of free guy is that the real world story is premised entirely on the idea that people would rather watch high level artificial intelligence interact in self curated environments than do pandery grand theft auto lootbox bullshit and the greek chorus scenes with youtubers talking about how awesome blue shirt guy is and ignoring the actual game itself would seem to back up this argument

but the movie itself clearly has zero faith that consumers are actually this introspective because of instead of doing an actual deep dive into what it would be like for an artifical intelligence to achieve sentience as we understand it in a grand theft auto clone we have all this focus on an obnoxious villain whose only apparent motivation is a desire to be an rear end in a top hat and then pandering bullshit that reaches its apex in that clip thats been making the rounds

i wouldn't even have pegged that scene as the climax. pathetic

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

movie equivalent of basing all your book opinions around hating infinite jest/dfw

https://twitter.com/scottdagostino/status/1441827021349433344

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

movie equivalent of basing all your book opinions around hating infinite jest/dfw

grrrr i am so mad.

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

how can we not talk about family
when family's all that we got?
wow I’m feeling very on notice

Aglet56
Sep 1, 2011
all of those opinions (david lynch is confusing, disney movies are better than ghibli movies, etc.) are all legitimately defensible and this is way better than all of the anti-dfw discourse

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

magnolia is an incomprehensible movie

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.
People who haven't read Infinite Jest are really mad at people who also haven't read Infinite Jest, but have it on the shelf.

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Wraith of J.O.I. posted:

channers are very much roiling in the comments

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

dfw was boring to me but I understand I’m in the majority on that one

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

https://twitter.com/kadaverdark/status/1442142116889649158?s=20

lol

F Stop Fitzgerald
Dec 12, 2010

herzog's bad lieutenant is the better Dudes Rock movie anyway

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!

F Stop Fitzgerald posted:

herzog's bad lieutenant is the better Dudes Rock movie anyway

uber_stoat
Jan 21, 2001

Pillbug
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vv0aAv0lJ3s

mazzi Chart Czar
Sep 24, 2005
It's the video version of a "film bro starter kit."
It would be funny as an image.

But the video turned that film-watchers and the tweeter into their own cliche'.
"you're either a film-bro or an anti-film-bro.
And anti-film-bros are "pro-disney."

josh04
Oct 19, 2008

"THE FLASH IS THE REASON
TO RACE TO THE THEATRES"

This title contains sponsored content.

it's even sneakier than that

quote:

The following is a list of all Japanese anime films from Studio Ghibli that have been dubbed and distributed by Disney. They are divided into either cinematic or home video-only releases, with the original Japanese premiere year and the year the Disney dub came out.

Theatrical Release:

Princess Mononoke (1997, 2000)
Spirited Away (2001, 2002)
Howl’s Moving Castle (2004, 2006)
Tales from Earthsea (2006, 2010)
Ponyo (2008, 2009)
The Secret World of Arrietty (2010, 2012)
The Wind Rises (2013, 2014)

Home Video Release:

Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind (1984, 2005)
Castle in the Sky (1986, 2003)
My Neighbor Totoro (1988, 2005)
Kiki’s Delivery Service (1989, 1998)
Porco Rosso (1992, 2005)
Pom Poko (1994, 2005)
Whisper of the Heart (1995, 2006)
My Neighbors the Yamadas (1999, 2005)
The Cat Returns (2002, 2005)

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Anyone else watching Midnight Mass on Netflix? im kinda torn on this one. Normally I love anything Mike Flanagan does but this one has been hard to get through so far. It has some very heavy religious themes and theres lots and lots of extremely long and boring religious conversations. I am not sure if its just my internet atheist showing through or if it´s just poorly written

General Dog
Apr 26, 2008

Everybody's working for the weekend

babypolis posted:

Anyone else watching Midnight Mass on Netflix? im kinda torn on this one. Normally I love anything Mike Flanagan does but this one has been hard to get through so far. It has some very heavy religious themes and theres lots and lots of extremely long and boring religious conversations. I am not sure if its just my internet atheist showing through or if it´s just poorly written

It’s quite good, even though the weird old age makeup on half the adults in early episodes kind of telegraphs where it’s going.

mastershakeman
Oct 28, 2008

by vyelkin

Aglet56 posted:

all of those opinions (david lynch is confusing, disney movies are better than ghibli movies, etc.) are all legitimately defensible and this is way better than all of the anti-dfw discourse

The only good part of wild at heart is that Nicholas cage wears majimas jacket from Yakuza

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
just finished watching first reformed and it's probably the best ethan hawk I've ever seen. also the best representation terminal cspam and its consequences. go watch it

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

Horizon Burning posted:

"what if everything looked like rick and morty"

bojack + gravity falls

Miss Lonelyhearts
Mar 22, 2003

Dope will watch.

Also watching Squid Game and enjoying it. Am I a racist for assuming Netflix wanted a Korean TV show after the success of Parasite?

babypolis
Nov 4, 2009

Miss Lonelyhearts posted:

Dope will watch.

Also watching Squid Game and enjoying it. Am I a racist for assuming Netflix wanted a Korean TV show after the success of Parasite?

kinda yeah? the world has been going crazy for korean media for a while now

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

netflix actually bankrolls a lot of south korean dramas most of them have just pulled in fairly mediocre numbers because its unremarkable genre stuff most of the best performing south korean netflix shows are actually dramas produced for television one of which hometown cha cha cha is currently running but these have all been reliable stick in the top ten for several months kind of shows squid game is the first one to soar to the top based on sheer hype power

squid game was definitely successfully pitched in part because of the thematic similarities to parasite but if you want to watch intense south korean stuff that doesnt use that as an obvious inspiration i would recommend keeping an eye out for hellbound come november its from the train to busan guy and is about unknown entites that announce to people the exact time of their death and at that time they are murdered by invincible shadow monsters that appear and disappear to accomplish this deed for purposes unknown

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0MTCXgil1M

lol i hope whoever thought up this name/concept got a bonus

i say swears online
Mar 4, 2005

oscarthewilde posted:

just finished watching first reformed and it's probably the best ethan hawk I've ever seen. also the best representation terminal cspam and its consequences. go watch it

first reformed was an instant classic. top-twenty all timer for me

i wish the ending was sliiiiightly different

Kill All Cops
Apr 11, 2007

Pacheco de Chocobo

Hell Gem

Some Guy TT posted:

netflix actually bankrolls a lot of south korean dramas most of them have just pulled in fairly mediocre numbers because its unremarkable genre stuff most of the best performing south korean netflix shows are actually dramas produced for television one of which hometown cha cha cha is currently running but these have all been reliable stick in the top ten for several months kind of shows squid game is the first one to soar to the top based on sheer hype power

squid game was definitely successfully pitched in part because of the thematic similarities to parasite but if you want to watch intense south korean stuff that doesnt use that as an obvious inspiration i would recommend keeping an eye out for hellbound come november its from the train to busan guy and is about unknown entites that announce to people the exact time of their death and at that time they are murdered by invincible shadow monsters that appear and disappear to accomplish this deed for purposes unknown

kingdom is pretty good too

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

i say swears online posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i0MTCXgil1M

lol i hope whoever thought up this name/concept got a bonus

yo this looks awesome and man I just love Will Smith so much

Second Hand Meat Mouth
Sep 12, 2001
is babylon 5 good

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=19

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Yes

MLSM
Apr 3, 2021

by Azathoth
I watched Dark City for the first time and gently caress it owned

indigi
Jul 20, 2004

no

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

MLSM posted:

I watched Dark City for the first time and gently caress it owned

go do city of lost children

Judakel
Jul 29, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 9 years!
cw? drat

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/DiscussingFilm/status/1441793732664127496

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

finally the silver bullet argument ive been looking for to convince people squid game is bad

https://twitter.com/LawofTD/status/1442532680118128646

Bro Dad
Mar 26, 2010

Judakel posted:

cw? drat

that's how you know it's gonna be good

nothin but cardboard, rubber make-up, and the forests of british columbia just like god intended

elaboration
Feb 21, 2020

it owns. but cw, lmao

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unless
Jul 24, 2005

I art

dfw chat

https://twitter.com/notbenmarshall/status/1394322948299886599