Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

"Poffo Man" Randy Average

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I knew it'd be too obvious lol

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't that Thrasher of the Headbangers? (Doesn't matter, Edge still stole poo poo. Like, he started using Gangrel's finisher. Surprised he doesn't start doing the Killswitch.)
It's been years since I've seen it. I definitely could've misremembered.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

Davros1 posted:

Wasn't that Thrasher of the Headbangers? (Doesn't matter, Edge still stole poo poo. Like, he started using Gangrel's finisher. Surprised he doesn't start doing the Killswitch.)
That's because

DMorbid posted:

the Impaler owns and more people should use it
whereas the Killswitch is the kind of lovely finisher they make developmental guys use as a punishment

Lid
Feb 18, 2005

And the mercy seat is awaiting,
And I think my head is burning,
And in a way I'm yearning,
To be done with all this measuring of proof.
An eye for an eye
And a tooth for a tooth,
And anyway I told the truth,
And I'm not afraid to die.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's because

whereas the Killswitch is the kind of lovely finisher they make developmental guys use as a punishment

looks at juice robinson

Checks out

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Halloween Jack posted:

That's because

Oh, come on, anything can be a finisher if it’s cool enough. Jake could do a straight DDT and everyone would go nuts because it’s Jake the Snake doing a DDT. Christian doing a Killswitch is cool because it’s Christian doing a Killswitch.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
When I see Christian do the Killswitch I'm glad that he's winning a match and a little sad that he's doing it with the Killswitch.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo
yeah the unprettier is way cooler

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Why is Sting suplexing Al Davis?

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

That's because

The Killswitch/Tomikaze was a Wrestler's Wrestler type move and a lot of guys from that era rave about Guido and how well he did it.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have

Halloween Jack posted:

When I see Christian do the Killswitch I'm glad that he's winning a match and a little sad that he's doing it with the Killswitch.
Every time I see The Killswitch set up I just get sad it's not the Kudome Valentine/Cop Killa

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

edit:
video removed because I missed the ending. Ugh

I'll never forget on the Retro show Craig asked "does anybody love Hulk Hogan more than Eric Bischoff?" and Vinny, without missing a beat, answered "Hulk Hogan"

But it was close, at least it used to be. I think in Death of WCW Bryan talks about how Bischoff really did buy into the idea Hogan WAS professional wrestling.

Regardless, this is the coolest poo poo. But at the same time, Hogan and Bischoff never presented themselves as "cool heels" like Nash and Hall did. They were happy to play the bumbling fools, although they kinda undercut it by winning so much....

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 18:52 on Sep 27, 2021

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

That's why I just can't appreciate anything about the nWo in hindsight. They almost never suffer any setbacks and even through 98 when Goldberg is supposed to be the top guy the nWo is still dominating TV time.

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

That's why I just can't appreciate anything about the nWo in hindsight. They almost never suffer any setbacks and even through 98 when Goldberg is supposed to be the top guy the nWo is still dominating TV time.

As much as it sucked to add a bunch of bums to the nWo, you kind of needed to at some point to avoid the top guys eating losses so you could keep them strong. Of course, we've kind of seen in a modern promotion like AEW that the top guys in a group can eat a loss and stay strong if the stories are compelling, the matches are good, and everyone is treated as a star. This wasn't necessarily always the case with WCW. So, Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner eating losses to make the nWo look vulnerable while the guys at the top of the group won or only lost through screwy means became kind of the whole deal.

All this to also say, adding a bunch of random scrubs like VK Wallstreet, Vincent, and Ray Traylor (who I love, but was never a huge deal during his later runs in WCW) also diminished the coolness and excitement of the nWo as a whole.

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

Middle age men trying too hard to look cool and badass was always going to become painfully lame, adding scrubs just sped up the process.

Only long term good results I could see happening would've been maybe if it stayed relatively small and instead of trying to come off as a redundant competing brand, they essentially take over WCW itself and enact a bunch of revolutionary changes (some maybe even genuinely good ones) with a heelish story bias towards themselves and their friends. Basically like the Elite except more blatant.

The scrubs should not have been allowed in the NWO proper but instead been called something else to exist as their enforcement stooges. Bischoff should have never have been allowed to join them.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Expand the nWo but only add Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner. Two or three more members isn't bad if they're going to be on both Nitro and Thunder but you never want to go full nWo

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

That dastardly Kyle Petty!

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!

iamsosmrt posted:

Only long term good results I could see happening would've been maybe if it stayed relatively small and instead of trying to come off as a redundant competing brand, they essentially take over WCW itself and enact a bunch of revolutionary changes (some maybe even genuinely good ones) with a heelish story bias towards themselves and their friends. Basically like the Elite except more blatant.

The scrubs should not have been allowed in the NWO proper but instead been called something else to exist as their enforcement stooges. Bischoff should have never have been allowed to join them.
I can definitely see the seed of a good company-wide angle there, where the nWo effectively absorbs WCW but falls apart due to infighting when the guys at the bottom of the pyramid scheme realize what that means. And I think that's what they were going for, to a point. But like everything involving the nWo after the initial angle it was half-assed and incoherent.

And Scott Norton didn't leave the nWo, he upgraded.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

zetamind2000 posted:

Expand the nWo but only add Buff Bagwell and Scott Steiner. Two or three more members isn't bad if they're going to be on both Nitro and Thunder but you never want to go full nWo

This doesn't include the Dinner and a Movie hosts, feel bad for whoever put that together. Humiliating.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

iamsosmrt posted:

Bischoff should have never have been allowed to join them.

I agree with this big time. The nWo are supposed to be cool and being associated with some wiener from the back office hurts that IMO.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I was a late-comer to WCW and the first Nitro I ever saw was the one where Curt Hennig joined the NWO and presented Hogan with Ric Flair's robe. I thought then that the NWO were the coolest thing I'd ever seen, I didn't realise how long they'd already been around for.

I guess the civil war storyline could have worked but some things got in the way. Savage getting injured, Hogan stepping away from the main event to wrestle Jay Leno/Karl Malone, Bret Hart, Warrior, Piper and Goldberg overcrowding the main event, Flair and the Horsemen reuniting to feud with Bischoff specifically etc.

A satisfying ending would be for the Horsemen and the Wolfpac to form an uneasy alliance to break apart a declining NWO Hollywood, with Wolfpac winning the Wargames match.

Bret Hart should have been nowhere near the NWO storyline and should have been putting on bangers with DDP, Sting, Benoit.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

TheKingslayer posted:

I agree with this big time. The nWo are supposed to be cool and being associated with some wiener from the back office hurts that IMO.

The Wolfpac were supposed to be cool, be it when they were just Hall, Nash and Syxx or a full fledged stable.

The nWo as a Hogan centric project were delusional egomaniacs who thought they were cool. That's what makes Hogan and Bischoff promos so good in 97 and incredibly entertaining but destructive to the company in 98.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

MassRafTer posted:

The Wolfpac were supposed to be cool, be it when they were just Hall, Nash and Syxx or a full fledged stable.

The nWo as a Hogan centric project were delusional egomaniacs who thought they were cool. That's what makes Hogan and Bischoff promos so good in 97 and incredibly entertaining but destructive to the company in 98.

Now that you mention it most of the time I'm thinking of the cool nWo is in fact The Outsiders before the third man is revealed. So yeah I guess Eric does work once Hogan is involved until 98.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

MassRafTer posted:

This doesn't include the Dinner and a Movie hosts, feel bad for whoever put that together. Humiliating.

And the QVC special people

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

TheKingslayer posted:

It made sense to have Eric in the group because how else did they keep getting by security and doing all the poo poo they were doing without real repercussions? Once Eric revealed himself, maybe they should have pulled a "we don't need you anymore" card and beat the poo poo out of him. He crawls back to WCW and has to convince everyone to rally back against the nWo. It's one of those weird things that you sort of need to have happen to make sense – why would they get big contracts and pay days if they're destroying the company? It only works if there's a mole helping them out and getting them paid. It's one of those problems of wrestling logic and real world logic being at odds with one another at a time when they were trying to make things feel more real.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 2 hours!
Yeah, but this is one of those things that gets really deep into fantasy booking and requires people to be somebody they're not. Eric Bischoff in the nWo could theoretically make sense from a storyline standpoint and a business standpoint, but he didn't do it for the right reasons in the first place.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

zetamind2000 posted:

He never explicitly joined the nWo and was a foil of Eric Bischoff!

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

I had no idea the Harris Brothers were in nWo

Ganso Bomb
Oct 24, 2005

turn it all around

Halloween Jack posted:

Yeah, but this is one of those things that gets really deep into fantasy booking and requires people to be somebody they're not. Eric Bischoff in the nWo could theoretically make sense from a storyline standpoint and a business standpoint, but he didn't do it for the right reasons in the first place.

What even were his reasons? Just because he liked these guys and wanted to get them paid? Because he wanted to take over WCW? I don't remember his explanation for being the brain/money behind it all.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

Ganso Bomb posted:

What even were his reasons? Just because he liked these guys and wanted to get them paid? Because he wanted to take over WCW? I don't remember his explanation for being the brain/money behind it all.
I think the actual turn happened on the Nitro before Starrcade '96 where Piper accused him of being a liar or something like that

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Ganso Bomb posted:

If I remember correctly, the actual/implied reason was that Bischoff got scared after they powerbombed him through a table and worked for them behind the scenes until Piper revealed that he was lying to everyone about meeting him.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Lurks With Wolves posted:

If I remember correctly, the actual/implied reason was that Bischoff got scared after they powerbombed him through a table and worked for them behind the scenes until Piper revealed that he was lying to everyone about meeting him.

Was that the "what kind of road goes to my house" promo?

Super Dan
Jan 26, 2006

iamsosmrt posted:

The scrubs should not have been allowed in the NWO proper but instead been called something else to exist as their enforcement stooges.

To be fair, they kind of did do this after the Fingerpoke. When Hogan joined the Wolfpac, the scrubs were all still the nWo Black & White B-Team.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

zetamind2000 posted:

Also the crew on that episode of Nitro in, uh, 97 I think, when the latter half of the show became nWo Nitro and they made a bunch of blokes put on the nWo shirt and be all like "yes, I am an nWo boy woo too sweet." I think it was a week or two before Starrcade, where Sting "beat" Hogan?

Cavauro
Jan 9, 2008

scott norton was a good nwo guy to have even though he was on the b-squad or w/e. he should have been above that. my name's bennett and he definitely should have been in it.

Renaissance Spam
Jun 5, 2010

Can it wait a for a bit? I'm in the middle of some *gyrations*

edogawa rando posted:

Also the crew on that episode of Nitro in, uh, 97 I think, when the latter half of the show became nWo Nitro and they made a bunch of blokes put on the nWo shirt and be all like "yes, I am an nWo boy woo too sweet." I think it was a week or two before Starrcade, where Sting "beat" Hogan?

Yeah, then Larry Zbyszko beat Bischoff at Starrcade, making sure Nitro kept the WCW brand. It was one of the only matches where a babyface won.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Renaissance Spam posted:

Yeah, then Larry Zbyszko beat Bischoff at Starrcade, making sure Nitro kept the WCW brand. It was one of the only matches where a babyface won.

Remember when the only person who could stand up to the NWO was an out of shape retired wrestler turned color commentator? That was wacky.

Lurks With Wolves
Jan 14, 2013

At least I don't dance with them, right?

Dawgstar posted:

Was that the "what kind of road goes to my house" promo?

Yeah. Bischoff spent the past few weeks talking about how he was going to Piper's house, and he tried to convince him to come join WCW but he just wouldn't do anything. And then Piper came out and called him out on it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OwEUIQPTDL0

Say what you will about Bischoff, he's good at awkwardly waiting for someone to rip him a new one.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Bischoff is actually a really great on screen character and performer, and I'd like more guest appearances from him in AEW. He knows that he's the weasely bad guy and has no trouble allowing himself to be humiliated by the baby-face.

That being said, some of his over indulgent Nitro segments like the Talk Show or sitting on his motorbike in a spotlight while talking about personal beefs were very tedious.