Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Leraika
Jun 14, 2015

Luckily, I *did* save your old avatar. Fucked around and found out indeed.
We've got Jungle Jim's here, that's probably even better. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

Chard posted:

the word tortilla refers to two completely different foods depending on who you ask, its not a value judgement just geography and language

It's basically like biscuit and biscuit, or chip and chip.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

Flash Gordon Ramsay posted:

I assume people who use glass cutting boards are worried about sanitary surfaces more than anything else. Or they're just old, old people love glass cutting boards.

It's this. Glass cutting boards are primarily for presentation. They usually aren't thick enough to hold a chill for pastry work (main reason for a thick marble work surface). And while they are very hygienic and easy to clean, as has been pointed out, they will also wreck your knives quickly.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat
AND they are unpleasant to cut upon.

Helith
Nov 5, 2009

Basket of Adorables

I have one glass cutting board.
It’s round and it’s Deadpool
It never actually gets used as a cutting board but we sometimes serve food on it

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Boar's Head salumi? Horseradish cheddar? Oh, admiring my cutting board? Wait til you see my full-sized Captain America shield drinks tray

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting
Today's breakfast is last night's rice over chorizo with 2 eggs

Managed to accomplish yolk doneness that I can actually be proud of

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I have purchased a metal carbonator cap, with a ball lock, and a regulator, and hooked it up to a 20lb CO2 tank I have. I've tried this a few times, where I would chill the water, fill a 1L bottle a bit above halfway. Then squeeze out all the air, put the cap on full, fill it with CO2 and shake a bunch. Do this 3 or 4 times.

I even tried it after getting a carb stone from my local brewery supply place. I have the regulator set to 30PSI.

My water is always flat. Like, even with the carb stone and filing and shaking it 4 times, it's about as carbonated as a fountain soda that's been left out for 3 hours. Barely a bubble.

Anyone got any tips or gotchas I should look at what i'm messing up?

Edit: This is just plain filtered water.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

I do 55 psi. Only one fill, no squeezing out the air, shake until no more bubbles come out the carb cap dip tube. Stays bubbly for a day or two, up to a week if I decant into a glass swingtop.

I never read Dave Arnold's chapter(s) on carbonating, I'll check it out after this meeting and report back

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

I do 55 psi. Only one fill, no squeezing out the air, shake until no more bubbles come out the carb cap dip tube. Stays bubbly for a day or two, up to a week if I decant into a glass swingtop.

I never read Dave Arnold's chapter(s) on carbonating, I'll check it out after this meeting and report back

55 PSI is safe in an plastic soda bottle? Nice, I'll try that.

veni veni veni
Jun 5, 2005

Making hard cider for the first time and absolutely could not get the syphon to work for like 30 minutes. God I am bad at this. Got it done but I am half drunk at 3pm.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

CainFortea posted:

55 PSI is safe in an plastic soda bottle? Nice, I'll try that.

Yes but watch your bottle for signs of strain after reuse. The conical top ones seem to start deforming after a few uses. Ones with a hemisphere top like typical Coke are more robust.

Soda at the low end is 40 psi and they design for a factor of safety - 150 psi is a typical figure I've seen for failure, so I wouldn't go over 60 psi for reuse as fatigue can kick in.

Only one page in but Dave agrees with you to purge the air from above the drink. Will update.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Yes but watch your bottle for signs of strain after reuse. The conical top ones seem to start deforming after a few uses. Ones with a hemisphere top like typical Coke are more robust.

Soda at the low end is 40 psi and they design for a factor of safety - 150 psi is a typical figure I've seen for failure, so I wouldn't go over 60 psi for reuse as fatigue can kick in.

Only one page in but Dave agrees with you to purge the air from above the drink. Will update.

Yea, I upped it up to 50psi, and I didn't do what I normally do which was disconnect the line, shake the crap out of it, and reconnect it. I left it connected and shook it like that. It was a lot improved, the soda stream still gives fizzier water by a long shot, so there's room for improvement.

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Oh definitely keep the line connected until shaking doesn't make any more bubbles - while the hose is connected and you're shaking it should seem like it's not even carbonated except for being unable to squeeze the bottle.

Only when it equalizes will the bubbles stop forming and popping when shaking.

Most sodastream tops out at 15 or 20 psi, what model do you have?

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

BrianBoitano posted:

Oh definitely keep the line connected until shaking doesn't make any more bubbles - while the hose is connected and you're shaking it should seem like it's not even carbonated except for being unable to squeeze the bottle.

Only when it equalizes will the bubbles stop forming and popping when shaking.

Most sodastream tops out at 15 or 20 psi, what model do you have?

The kind that I just push one of 3 buttons and it does all the gassing for me? I don't remember what it's called. But it does make the water fizzy enough to almost hurt my nose when I drink it. This carbonator cap and shaking water bottle has not achieved that level yet.

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
Keeping the liquid you're carbonating real cold is a big deal also.

But also all carbonation questions should be preceded by watching Dave Arnold's hour long exhaustive video about carbonation and then reading the one hundred articles he's written about it

pile of brown fucked around with this message at 09:04 on Sep 25, 2021

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

pile of brown posted:

Keeping the liquid you're carbonating real cold is a big deal also.

But also all carbonation questions should be preceded by watching Dave Arnold's exhaustive video about carbonation and then reading the one hundred articles he's written about it

I have never heard of this person so I will go find his videos. Thank you.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

Just finished boiling and jarring up Green Walnut Syrup and it's uh, a thing. It tastes like how a forest smells in the fall. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

signalnoise
Mar 7, 2008

i was told my old av was distracting

Casu Marzu posted:

Just finished boiling and jarring up Green Walnut Syrup and it's uh, a thing. It tastes like how a forest smells in the fall. Now I need to figure out what to do with it.

Sounds like something that would go with gin

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Casu Marzu posted:

I've had walnut honey with baked brie and roasted figs. That was really ridiculously good.

Does the syrup make your mouth numb? For some reason it does me like pine nuts and I kinda hated that but just like pine nuts I wanted to eat it anyway. It's really interesting.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

fizzymercury posted:

I've had walnut honey with baked brie and roasted figs. That was really ridiculously good.

Does the syrup make your mouth numb? For some reason it does me like pine nuts and I kinda hated that but just like pine nuts I wanted to eat it anyway. It's really interesting.

No numbness, but I've only licked the spatula so far. I guess I'll see when I try a larger amount.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

That looks amazing. You should send it to me (it would never make it across the border).

Enfys
Feb 17, 2013

The ocean is calling and I must go

fizzymercury posted:

Do you get a similar tingling/itching when eating whole walnuts? You might have a secondary walnut allergy related to tree pollen. They're not serious but are annoying.

ExecuDork
Feb 25, 2007

We might be fucked, sir.
Fallen Rib

VelociBacon posted:

For me this is people's lovely knives or the poo poo knives in an airbnb. I feel like I can adapt to lovely stoves, horrible pans, uneven ovens pretty easily but having to give up on using a chef's knife because it's chipped and dull and awful is the worst. I've cut so many things with steak knives in lovely apartments and it just starts the whole prep process in such an awful way that it somewhat puts me off entirely.

This. I've learned to take my sharpener with me when I house sit or spend more than a night or two in an AirBnB. gently caress you I will sharpen your single half-decent knife to a 20 degree razor if it takes me all night! And you don't get to complain about it, you ungrateful sonofabitch, and DO NOT loving spread that stupid myth about dangerous sharp knives. Slip up again slicing an onion and wag your bleeding fingers at me one more time motherfucker.

Yes, I swear pretty much continuously when I use a dull knife and I forgot my sharpener.
Sorry for the rant.

signalnoise posted:

Today's breakfast is last night's rice over chorizo with 2 eggs

Managed to accomplish yolk doneness that I can actually be proud of

This is art. Love it.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Enfys posted:

Do you get a similar tingling/itching when eating whole walnuts? You might have a secondary walnut allergy related to tree pollen. They're not serious but are annoying.
You know I never really eat walnuts so I bought some today to see if they bug me and they do, it just takes a few of them. I guess I didn't know that. Huh. Thanks for that.

I should see an allergist or something. This is the third food allergy I didn't know I had that I've noticed recently. Weird.

Casu Marzu
Oct 20, 2008

ExecuDork posted:

This. I've learned to take my sharpener with me when I house sit or spend more than a night or two in an AirBnB. gently caress you I will sharpen your single half-decent knife to a 20 degree razor if it takes me all night! And you don't get to complain about it, you ungrateful sonofabitch, and DO NOT loving spread that stupid myth about dangerous sharp knives. Slip up again slicing an onion and wag your bleeding fingers at me one more time motherfucker.

Yes, I swear pretty much continuously when I use a dull knife and I forgot my sharpener.
Sorry for the rant.

I've used the unglazed bottom rim of a ceramic cup quite often to sharpen a knife at an airbnb or a friend's cabin or whatever.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Unfortunately a lot of Airbnb's have like garbage $1 knife shaped objects that are so ridiculously soft that even if you sharpen them they'll be dull again after cutting a couple of tomatoes or something.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Casu Marzu posted:

I've used the unglazed bottom rim of a ceramic cup quite often to sharpen a knife at an airbnb or a friend's cabin or whatever.

Yeah for me it's the bottom unglazed ring on a shallow bowl at the place I normally stay at (yes I don't learn). I can put a damp bar towel down, place the bowl upside down on it, and it's stable enough I can use it sorta like a whetstone.

feedmegin
Jul 30, 2008

mystes posted:

Unfortunately a lot of Airbnb's have like garbage $1 knife shaped objects that are so ridiculously soft that even if you sharpen them they'll be dull again after cutting a couple of tomatoes or something.

The very first present I ever bought my now wife was a pair of kitchen knives because the ones she had (postgrad student) made me so so sad. If you tap a knife it should not go boioioioing.

She complained that was unromantic, but hey, seems to have worked out :shobon:

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

fizzymercury posted:

You know I never really eat walnuts so I bought some today to see if they bug me and they do, it just takes a few of them. I guess I didn't know that. Huh. Thanks for that.

I should see an allergist or something. This is the third food allergy I didn't know I had that I've noticed recently. Weird.

You probably should see an allergist and don't experiment at home with things you might be allergic to.

What Enfys is getting at is Oral Allergy Syndrome where you're not actually (Type I IgE mediated) allergic to something, you're allergic to something else with cross-reactive proteins in the primary allergen which 'look' similar enough to proteins in a secondary item. It's almost always tree allergies (cross-reactive birch being the worst) and then the secondary will be fruits/seeds/nut etc. Birch is a big culprit here and causes OAS with strawberries, apples, a whole host of raw fruit.

If you find you have early spring/early summer aeroallergy symptoms (coughing/sneezing/hayfever etc.) in the NA cycle of aeroallergens: (leaf molds)->Trees->Grasses->Ragweed then it's likely to be OAS, although only an allergist can tell for sure.

In OAS usually there is an oropharyngeal itch when consuming raw fruits or vegetables which does not happen with those same items when cooked, as the proteins become denatured by heat, although I suspect this doesn't apply as much to nuts and seeds due to density. The pseudoreaction should also stop when the item is swallowed as stomach acid quickly denatures the responsible proteins.

A similar reaction exists with Latex Fruit Syndrome, in which people with (Type IV) Latex allergies are more likely to have oropharyngeal reactions with plants like banana.

However, pine nuts are weird and may be unrelated: a condition called Pine Nut Syndrome or Pine Mouth also exists and can cause disturbing oral sensations for weeks or months although they're more taste-related than numbing.

In any event, with allergies it's always best to get tested and stop eating any food which has caused you a reaction or pseudoreaction in the past until cleared by an allergist as it's impossible to know what the next reaction will look like. It's minor until it isn't.

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

Sure but that's like her superpower

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Submarine Sandpaper posted:

Sure but that's like her superpower

I know but maybe don't drink the mercury this time

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Angerbeet alludes to this but the reason it's dangerous is that there could be a primary allergen that causes your airway to actually become compromised. Angerbeet loves allergy and I love airways so this is getting us all excited!

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

Lol PNS

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

angerbeet posted:

I know but maybe don't drink the mercury this time
My Dad was much more blunt when I told him I tested my allergies by eating them. "Honey please stop eating things 'just to see what happens'. I love you but that's really dumb and you do it a lot."

I already scheduled the allergist cause it was genuinely uncomfortable. I went into an asthma attack the other day from mowing the lawn so I guess my body decided to up it's allergy game. I never used to have a single problem. drat age or whatever.

Thank y'all for telling me about this. I was just going to keep being cavalier about it probably.

fizzymercury fucked around with this message at 02:33 on Sep 28, 2021

pile of brown
Dec 31, 2004
I have the mouth allergy thing with eggplant. Makes my mouth itchy and I can't taste for like 45 mins

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

pile of brown posted:

I have the mouth allergy thing with eggplant. Makes my mouth itchy and I can't taste for like 45 mins

Ditto, sucks.

SubG
Aug 19, 2004

It's a hard world for little things.
You know how a couple months ago I was bitching that something was up with the eggs I'd been getting because they were getting all fucky about holding an emulsion? Around a month, month and a half ago I started getting eggs from a local farm-to-consumer supplier and have had ~*zero*~ further problems.

How well egg emulsions work is one of those things that varies with the age of the egg, and the straight-from-the-cloaca ones that are several weeks past their "best by" date are still better than the ones I'd been getting from the grocery store marked weeks before their best by date. Dunno if I just had a run of lovely luck or if it's something to do with the supply chain during the pandemic or what. But I guess hurray for somewhat overpriced hippie dippy range free organic cage eggs. Don't give a poo poo about the ideology but holy gently caress thank you for just emulsifuckingfying the first time every time.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Well, i've just about had it with the carbonator setup.

If I put the filtered water in the freezer until ice just starts forming, pour that into another container so there's no actual ice chunks, put my cap on it with carb stone, pressurize it to 60psi while shaking until no more bubbles come out. The best I can get is *almost* as bubbly as a soda stream but with like half the bite. For 20 times the effort.

At this point any further experimenting is just to sate my lust for data. My next plan is to get a metal container with a separate connector and hooking up my vacuum pump to degass the water. And then carbonating it while it sits in my ultrasonic cleaner to really try and get as much molecular movement going on.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrianBoitano
Nov 15, 2006

this is fine

Where did you get the tank? When you uncap after carbing, does what comes out sting your nose harsh like pure CO2, or is it also lackluster?