Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lathespin.gif
May 19, 2005
Pillbug
Crosspostin' from the GPU thread, I'm down if anyone has suggestions for cheap/good NVME M.2-2280 or CPU upgrades that aren't too power-hungry, but otherwise I think this build is done for now.

Lathespin.gif posted:

I'm gonna make the post I've been searching for since back in march/april, now that I have some actual data. First real from-scratch build since the EIDE days, so it's been a minute. Hope this helps someone who is looking for the same info!

I put together a dedicated Plex box/NAS/lightweight gaming box earlier this year, since I needed a few TB's of storage, and currently my best GPU was an 860m which is... not great. Using a Node 304 case, since I wanted six 3.5" bays available in a smallish form factor. Looking for 6x SATA ports on a cheap mini ITX mobo led me to the ASRock Fatal1ty Z370 Gaming-ITX/ac, which needs an LGA1151 CPU, and I wanted low power consumption and Quick Sync for Plex hardware transcoding. Ended up with an ebay'd i5-8500T pull, which is only 35w TDP and has been working fine so far. Tossed on an Alpine 12 CO cooler, 16GBs of DDR4-2666 (hail), an 80 plus gold 650w PSU, and managed to snag two 8TB WD's just as the prices went through the roof- a day earlier and they would have been 10TB's for :10bux: cheaper each. Still kinda pissed I missed that window and couldn't order 4 or 6 of those instead. Also an NVME M.2-2280 for OS installs and Steam games or whatever, totally screwed up there and got a 250GB instead of a 1TB, and gonna have to upgrade that pronto which means pulling the mobo, argh. Currently booting Unraid off a SanDisk Cruzer Fit 16GB, which so far owns owns owns.

Right, but GPU. So Fractal says "GPU max length 310 mm (when 2 HDD slots are removed; graphics cards longer than 170 mm will conflict with PSUs longer than 160 mm)" so I made sure to get an ~150mm PSU. Anything wider than a 2-slot card is gonna hit the case wall, and with drives in the bay I measured as little as ~150mm clearance to HDD connectors, more like ~168mm to the drive caddy edge, and about ~80mm down to the deck below it. Shopped some half-height 1030's and 1050's and such, not really impressed. Looked at mini/compact 1070's, 1650's and 2060's, etc, but they all seemed just a bit too long, let alone trying to find one to buy. Also I refuse to spend like $700+++ on a GPU just to play Subnautica and the occasional FPS or whatever on Steam sometimes, gently caress that I ain't gonna. Swore at the current state of things for a good long while.

Ended up scoring a Lenovo OEM 1660 for about $400 after shipping/tax off ebay. Yes it's a single fan and kinda wussy for it's class, yes it's not a ti or even a super, yes it should be like a ~$200-250 card at most, but most importantly-

1: The price still started with a 3 and was in hundreds, not thousands, and

2: It fuckin' FITS

With an 180* 8-pin power adapter, it looks like it's just gonna touch a drive, once I can fill that bay. Like, full-on touch, maybe float the drive ~1mm forward on it's rubber mounts at worst, but it should wedge in without mods. Still kinda wish it was a Super or something but whatever, this'll do for a couple years until I can get a mini 4070 or whatever to replace it on the cheap. And Subnautica runs at like ~130fps instead of <30 in spots now.

My watch is ended.

:synpa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Z the IVth posted:

NR200 question

Is there any downside to mounting disks 2.5" disks to the front bays? I'm thinking of condensing my scattered drives into one machine.

On a related note, what's the most cost efficient storage solution? I'm assuming 2.5" HDDs are cheapest. Should I get a 5tb drive or 2x 2tb drives? I hazard that all the data I need to condense is maybe 2tb in total.

As long as the mountings on the underside of the drive it should be all good! You can also mount a 3.5 or 2.5 on the PSU cage with little effort.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007
BUT MY LIVELIHOOD DEPENDS ON THE FORUMS!
maybe the wrong thread for this, but given the recent posts about HTPCs and streaming destinations—I’m looking to get a torrenting box for legally sharing media, one that takes up a minimum of room and fuss vs my existing tower PC, is my best bet still to go with a $80-110 preowned USFF Optiplex/etc office PC eBay special?

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Ok Comboomer posted:

maybe the wrong thread for this, but given the recent posts about HTPCs and streaming destinations—I’m looking to get a torrenting box for legally sharing media, one that takes up a minimum of room and fuss vs my existing tower PC, is my best bet still to go with a $80-110 preowned USFF Optiplex/etc office PC eBay special?
I think this will depend on how many TB of free open source isos you plan to seed? Hanging multiple external drives off of a usff case gets messy real fast.

Depending on scale, the fractal 304 is easy to build in without much consideration for special small form factor components and can fit 6 drives.

E: oh, it's that case posted above with the short video card.

It can fit a long video card if you pay attention to PSU size and are willing to sacrifice 2 drive mounts.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 18:05 on Sep 26, 2021

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

CopperHound posted:

I think this will depend on how many TB of free open source isos you plan to seed? Hanging multiple external drives off of a usff case gets messy real fast.

Good point. I guess for the same money I could go SFF and pop in an internal drive or three

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Yeah the Node 304 is some way behind the current gen of SFF cases but what it can do is carry 6 full size hard drives. That will gently caress up the airflow a bit.

I have a LSI SAS card if anyone wants it for postage from Europe btw.

What you want may be better served by a NAS though.

trilobite terror
Oct 20, 2007

knox_harrington posted:

Yeah the Node 304 is some way behind the current gen of SFF cases but what it can do is carry 6 full size hard drives. That will gently caress up the airflow a bit.

I have a LSI SAS card if anyone wants it for postage from Europe btw.

What you want may be better served by a NAS though.

Yeah but the point is to have this be as cheap as possible. I’m not looking to spend $400+ putting together an extraneous PC that will definitely not be mainly used for downloading Game Boy ROMs

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Are there any recommendations here on basic Zen 2/3 NUC's?

I just bought a couple DDR arcade cabinet pads, so I need a machine that can run Stepmania (an open source DDR clone) and maybe Drummania; both rhythm games that are graphically very undemanding, at least going by looks.

For the moment I can use a laptop, but I'd like something more permanent in the long run, and a NUC seems like it'd go well with one of the rolling stands I'm planning on getting for the TV for the setup (they usually have a small little platform halfway up for a laptop or similar).

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cicero posted:

Are there any recommendations here on basic Zen 2/3 NUC's?

I just bought a couple DDR arcade cabinet pads, so I need a machine that can run Stepmania (an open source DDR clone) and maybe Drummania; both rhythm games that are graphically very undemanding, at least going by looks.

For the moment I can use a laptop, but I'd like something more permanent in the long run, and a NUC seems like it'd go well with one of the rolling stands I'm planning on getting for the TV for the setup (they usually have a small little platform halfway up for a laptop or similar).

NUC is by definition an Intel thing; it's literally their product brand name. So, Zen 2/3 NUC literally doesn't exist. You can build a nice compact AMD SFF PC that does what you want, but you're going to have to spec out the whole thing - i.e. pick a case, an ITX Mobo, etc. etc. etc.

TheMadMilkman
Dec 10, 2007

There’s plenty of Zen 2 based prebuilt mini PCs in an equivalent form factor to the NUCs.

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Looking up the system requirements for Stepmania:

quote:

Windows 7+ (Vista and up users: read the installer!); Linux; Mac OS X 10.6+
512 MB of RAM (1 GB recommended)
700MHz minimum (Multi-core recommended)
Video card with support for 16-bit color, 128MB video RAM and OpenGL 2.1 or higher.
DirectX 9.0 or later (Windows only)
Sound card (of course :D)

You can probably make do with a used mini PC from Lenovo like this tbh: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115006866731?hash=item1ac6f1852b%3Ag%3AjD8AAOSwTpxhTRIY&LH_BIN=1 That unit appears to not have wifi though. You can probably find a cheaper model too if you look hard enough.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TheMadMilkman posted:

There’s plenty of Zen 2 based prebuilt mini PCs in an equivalent form factor to the NUCs.

Sure, but the newer NUC lineup for a few years now is kind of a weird kit-PC situation where they are sold kind of half-built in a way that I don't know of quite an AMD equivalent.

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

teagone posted:

Looking up the system requirements for Stepmania:

You can probably make do with a used mini PC from Lenovo like this tbh: https://www.ebay.com/itm/115006866731?hash=item1ac6f1852b%3Ag%3AjD8AAOSwTpxhTRIY&LH_BIN=1 That unit appears to not have wifi though. You can probably find a cheaper model too if you look hard enough.

I have a more recent one of these with an Intel 6 series cpu, it's been fine and I'd recommend it. Think the cost new was a bit over £200. The general model is a Thinkcentre Tiny.

Cicero
Dec 17, 2003

Jumpjet, melta, jumpjet. Repeat for ten minutes or until victory is assured.
Thanks guys, though I don't think I want to go quite that underpowered. Yeah, it would probably be fine for Stepmania, but I'd like a little flexibility for other possible rhythm games too. Think I might go with something like this eventually: https://simplynuc.com/cbm1r5rb/

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

ServeTheHome has being doing a long series on the various tiny PCs from the big 3 OEMs, including some new AMD boxes. They can be good values used from corporate leases or on steep discount codes.

Here is a recent one with a Ryzen 4750GE, and all 3 are shopping 5000 series parts now too I believe:

https://www.servethehome.com/lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-gen2-tiny-review-amd-changes-the-game/

https://youtu.be/Kr1tD6TEnek

The rest of the series is here:

https://www.servethehome.com/tag/tinyminimicro/

Broken Machine
Oct 22, 2010

Cygni posted:

ServeTheHome has being doing a long series on the various tiny PCs from the big 3 OEMs, including some new AMD boxes. They can be good values used from corporate leases or on steep discount codes.

Here is a recent one with a Ryzen 4750GE, and all 3 are shopping 5000 series parts now too I believe:

https://www.servethehome.com/lenovo-thinkcentre-m75q-gen2-tiny-review-amd-changes-the-game/

https://youtu.be/Kr1tD6TEnek

The rest of the series is here:

https://www.servethehome.com/tag/tinyminimicro/

I recently picked up a shuttle that runs 8th / 9th gen Intel chips (same speed as current gen essentially, still eligible for win 11). It's ~1.1 liters, and I paired it w/ an egpu adapter and a 1050ti. It runs witcher 3 at high settings a stable 30-40 fps and sips power, I've been quite pleased with it. Similarly, you can pair a nuc w/ a thunderbolt egpu since those usually have tb3 ports. Another few generations and we should have apus that can serve instead of discrete gpus; not quite there yet.

e: here

i need to make the green led less bright, but otherwise it's about perfect for most gaming needs

Broken Machine fucked around with this message at 18:54 on Sep 28, 2021

teagone
Jun 10, 2003

That was pretty intense, huh?

Cicero posted:

Think I might go with something like this eventually: https://simplynuc.com/cbm1r5rb/

You can get newer versions of the Lenovo mini PC with a Ryzen 5 Pro for cheaper https://www.ebay.com/itm/224594079621?hash=item344ad9af85:g:KYwAAOSw3eFfcDLS

CPU is 2xxx gen though.

sarcastx
Feb 26, 2005

I'm building a PC for an incredibly impatient father in law - his current machine is a Mini-ITX I built him in 2012.
I posted in the PC Building Megathread, got some guidance, did a bit of finessing and came up with this build:

https://pcpartpicker.com/list/ZL7x4d

Let me know what you guys think; if you think there's any component better suited to the purpose I'm all ears.

TL,DR on the use-case:

Father-in-law doing moderate office/web/videoconferencing work but is very impatient and is the kinda guy who'll just start clicking poo poo when things don't respond *immediately*.
Machine needs to be fast at basically everything (booting/waking from sleep/loading apps) - but not like, "fast" fast (for encoding video) as much as just "responsive".

Budget is basically "keep it under a thousand"

edit: included wrong PCPP link

sarcastx fucked around with this message at 13:52 on Sep 29, 2021

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

Absolutely solid already, but to avoid future annoying phone calls maybe consider getting 32GB RAM?

Holy poo poo RAM is cheap again

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

The Corsair SF power supplies are completely silent and pretty great.

buglord
Jul 31, 2010

Cheating at a raffle? I sentence you to 1 year in jail! No! Two years! Three! Four! Five years! Ah! Ah! Ah! Ah!

Buglord
Yeah even when my Corsair SF 600 fan kicks in it’s still quieter than the rest of the system. If you’re going the 600 route get the tier/revision that doesn’t have the stiff cables because yikes my thumbs still hurt remembering them.

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe
I believe it’s the platinum that has the non stiff cables.

Cygni
Nov 12, 2005

raring to post

I got an SF600 Platinum a few months ago and it had the individually sleeved cables and not the stiffies.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

At least based on reviews, the platinum models have a much quieter fan curve than the gold ones although the reviews I've read are pretty old so I don't know if that still holds true.

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Platinum power supplies in general generate less waste heat than gold power supplies due to how much more efficient they are. If a platinum PSU isn't quieter than a gold PSU, then something is very wrong.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Finally got tired of the NR200P MAX delays (and I'd be genuinely surprised if they actually stuck to that $350 MSRP anyway) so I think I'll be hopping on the somewhat cheaper Meshilicious train instead

Motherboard: B550i Aorus Pro AX
CPU: R9 5900x*
CPU Cooler: MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror ARGB
RAM: OLOy 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600*
Storage: GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2 1TB SSD*
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA*
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS PX-850 80+ Platinum*

The * parts are all from my current PC; part of the reason I'm doing this is the ATX PSU compatibility (though I expect it'll take a bit of cable managing to keep the cooler fans clear).

The ML280 had suspiciously few reviews but the price was too (relatively) good to ignore. They were largely positive, at least. And hey, my first liquid cooler build!

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cross-Section posted:

Finally got tired of the NR200P MAX delays (and I'd be genuinely surprised if they actually stuck to that $350 MSRP anyway) so I think I'll be hopping on the somewhat cheaper Meshilicious train instead

Motherboard: B550i Aorus Pro AX
CPU: R9 5900x*
CPU Cooler: MasterLiquid ML280 Mirror ARGB
RAM: OLOy 32GB (2 x 16GB) DDR4 3600*
Storage: GIGABYTE AORUS NVMe Gen4 M.2 1TB SSD*
GPU: EVGA GeForce RTX 3080 Ti FTW3 ULTRA*
PSU: Seasonic FOCUS PX-850 80+ Platinum*

The * parts are all from my current PC; part of the reason I'm doing this is the ATX PSU compatibility (though I expect it'll take a bit of cable managing to keep the cooler fans clear).

The ML280 had suspiciously few reviews but the price was too (relatively) good to ignore. They were largely positive, at least. And hey, my first liquid cooler build!

The ATX PSU might be tight if you put the AIO tubes at the bottom. Maybe consider some slim fans for the rad.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Romes128 posted:

The ATX PSU might be tight if you put the AIO tubes at the bottom. Maybe consider some slim fans for the rad.

Any downsides to having the tubes come from the top like here?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Cross-Section posted:

Having the tube connection point be at the absolute top point of your loop isn't great.

If you think about the liquid in your cooler's system as having a milimeter or so of an air bubble in there or whatever, and just think through how gravity works - air will always float to the top - you don't want that air bubble sitting in a) the pump itself (aka, the block over your CPU), or b) the point at which the tubes connect to the radiator. So, ideal orientation is basically whatever you do that makes those two things not the highest point in the system, with getting a right being more important than b.

tl;dr, it'll probably be fine, but there's a nonzero chance that it won't be which would be fixed by having the tubes point down.

VorpalFish
Mar 22, 2007
reasonably awesometm

Dr. Video Games 0031 posted:

Platinum power supplies in general generate less waste heat than gold power supplies due to how much more efficient they are. If a platinum PSU isn't quieter than a gold PSU, then something is very wrong.

Difference between gold and platinum should be something like 15w at 600. The noise difference reported between the two (especially at loads closer to 50-60%) is enough that I'm skeptical it can be explained by efficiency alone.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

It may be dubiously cable-managed, but it's done:

I ended up going with a SF750 because I immediately could tell how much of a pain in the rear end situating the ATX would be (and I only have one 120mm slim fan). Yes, I'm daisy-chaining on my 3-connector 3080 Ti but the capacity limits of 288W per cable and 150W per connector tells me I should be good.

After I took this photo, I replaced the CM fans with Be Quiet ones because the motor on the bottom fan was buzzing annoyingly. Still not crazy about the GPU cables being a literal hair's width away from the fans, might fiddle with some different cable management eventually.

My only real issue is my SSD which runs a bit hot because, from what I can tell, it shares a heat pipe with the VRMs!?! Interesting design choice, Gigabyte.

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Oct 3, 2021

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

Cross-Section posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BbGomv195sk

Romes128
Dec 28, 2008

Fun Shoe

Cross-Section posted:

It may be dubiously cable-managed, but it's done:

I ended up going with a SF750 because I immediately could tell how much of a pain in the rear end situating the ATX would be (and I only have one 120mm slim fan). Yes, I'm daisy-chaining on my 3-connector 3080 Ti but the capacity limits of 288W per cable and 150W per connector tells me I should be good.

After I took this photo, I replaced the CM fans with Be Quiet ones because the motor on the bottom fan was buzzing annoyingly. Still not crazy about the GPU cables being a literal hair's width away from the fans, might fiddle with some different cable management eventually.

My only real issue is my SSD which runs a bit hot because, from what I can tell, it shares a heat pipe with the VRMs!?! Interesting design choice, Gigabyte.

You can get fan grills if you’re worried about the cables touching them.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Romes128 posted:

You can get fan grills if you’re worried about the cables touching them.

Ah, that's a good idea. I even have some fan grills lying around too, but they're sized for 120mm. I wonder if the twisty screws I used here might not be long enough to use with the ones I order, though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Cross-Section posted:

As long as your pump (integrated into the CPU block in this case) isn't the highest point in the loop it's fine. Air will find its way to the highest point, and having a bit of air at the intake of the rad is fine. It's only a problem if it gathers in the pump.

With the tubes curving down like that you might want to put the case face-down for a bit while running the pump to force any air trapped inside the CPU block out into the tubes, then raise it so it gathers in the rad instead, but once the air is there it's not going to find its way back into the pump.

Cross-Section
Mar 18, 2009

Collateral Damage posted:

With the tubes curving down like that you might want to put the case face-down for a bit while running the pump to force any air trapped inside the CPU block out into the tubes, then raise it so it gathers in the rad instead, but once the air is there it's not going to find its way back into the pump.

I'd been hearing a sort of ticking noise since earlier today so I tried this. No change.

A bit of troubleshooting revealed that the sound was actually coming from the GPU on the other side of the case lol (apparently the fans on certain EVGA models aren't supposed to run below 25 percent? :confused:)

Cross-Section fucked around with this message at 23:30 on Oct 3, 2021

Dr. Video Games 0031
Jul 17, 2004

Cross-Section posted:

I'd been hearing a sort of ticking noise since earlier today so I tried this. No change.

A bit of troubleshooting revealed that the sound was actually coming from the GPU on the other side of the case lol (apparently the fans on certain EVGA models aren't supposed to run below 25 percent? :confused:)

It's how PWM fans work. People in that thread are reporting that it's because their fans are turning on and off again, which makes sense. It takes more power to bring a fan from a standstill to 20% than it does to maintain 20%, but a 20% PWM signal is only enough to do the latter. Some fan controllers will send a stronger pwm signal to the fan for the first second or two before going to its designated duty cycle, but I guess EVGA doesn't. You may be able to run at those lower fan speeds when going back down from a higher speed.

The fans on EVGA's FTW3 coolers for example can go as low as 300 RPM before they stall, but they can't spin up without around 600 RPM worth of power.

Dr. Video Games 0031 fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Oct 3, 2021

Disharmony
Dec 29, 2000

Like a hundred crippled horses lying crumpled on the ground

Begging for a rifle to come and put them down
Can the Inwin Chopin Pro fit a 3.5 hdd?

Looking for a small ITX case for a Plex server/kid PC that I can vesa mount behind a monitor to get as small a footprint on a desk as possible and it's almost perfect except for that one.

nitsuga
Jan 1, 2007

Just 2 x 2.5” according to their specs (and that’s on the back panel). An SSD is a worthy expense even for light-duty computing though.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

nitsuga posted:

Just 2 x 2.5” according to their specs (and that’s on the back panel). An SSD is a worthy expense even for light-duty computing though.

Spinning plates are really relegated to the realm of 'cheap bulk storage with no speed requirement.' You can get more storage than you'll ever need as a typical consumer in spinning plates, but don't try and load an OS or anything with load time dependency (like a video game or files you're actively working on) to it.

The quality of life improvement even a SATA SSD brings to your daily computing needs cannot be overstated.

Disharmony posted:

Can the Inwin Chopin Pro fit a 3.5 hdd?

Looking for a small ITX case for a Plex server/kid PC that I can vesa mount behind a monitor to get as small a footprint on a desk as possible and it's almost perfect except for that one.

Are you married to a 3.5" HDD? You can get 5TB in 2.5" form factor these days, and RAID 0 that into 10TB. I have no idea how much storage a plex server needs, but 10TB strikes me as overkill. Slap a cheap M.2 drive (doesn't even need to be NVME) on the motherboard for OS + daily storage and you're golden.

I don't think a VESA mounted enclosure with 3.5" HDD support even exists if I'm being honest. The HDD alone would be 40% of the enclosure size.