Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

quote:

Sheridan was played by Bruce Boxleitner in the original series, with the ensemble cast also including Claudia Christian, Jerry Doyle, Mira Furlan, and Richard Briggs. At this time, none of the original series stars are attached to the project.

Oof.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

If JMS has at least as much control as he had in the first one, i'm not going to turn my nose up at it until I see it.

If the studio goes full on "But does it have dragons?!? Dragons make a lot of money!!!" mode and gently caress with it all the time it's going to be awful.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

gently caress

On one hand I hate this. On the other I feel like they might be able to remaster the original cgi as a line item in the budget for this one.

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

Honestly, I'd rather they have an all-new cast than try to re-tell the same story with the half of the existing cast that's still alive (while filling in the other half with newbies).

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

ConfusedUs posted:

Honestly, I'd rather they have an all-new cast than try to re-tell the same story with the half of the existing cast that's still alive (while filling in the other half with newbies).

https://www.instagram.com/p/CUVVJ8GDFet/?utm_medium=copy_link

Claudia seems to be saying they’ll be there, somewhere, but don’t know where.

If they’re going the “tell the original story but without the Sinclair -> Sheridan rewrite” I think that’s interesting. Maybe JMS saw the Rebuilds and was like AHA.

And there’s no way JMS would attach his name to it and write the pilot script unless he was firmly in control of things, you know how well he gets along with studios.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

Verrrrry interesting.

Maybe I’m an eternal optimist, but I think this will be a really good thing.

One, JMS knows full well how destructive studio pressure can be, so I have got to believe that he wouldn’t have agreed if there wasn’t some kind of clause to minimize that. And I’ve got to believe the number of seasons is pre-defined. He wouldn’t want to go through THAT again.

Two, he’s writing the show. Is it going to be every episode yet again? :iiam: but again, he’s stubborn enough that I’m sure he will be reviewing and revising every script. He’s also had 30 years of analyzing what could have worked better and 30 more years of writing experience.

Three, it’s literally impossible to do the show with the remaining cast members, so re-casting will be necessary. He did a great job getting the right people (mostly) the first time, I bet he can do it again (queue years of arguments over who would make the best G’kar) (or hell, Zathras)

Four, his vision of space and space battles is enduring. While the graphics are out dated, the action and raw feel of the space still is unparalleled.

I’ll bet a dozen donuts the old cast will at least have cameos if not bigger roles.

Yeah, I am on board with this.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!
Babylon... Six?!?

Or is it Babylon 5.1?

Vavrek
Mar 2, 2013

I like your style hombre, but this is no laughing matter. Assault on a police officer. Theft of police property. Illegal possession of a firearm. FIVE counts of attempted murder. That comes to... 29 dollars and 40 cents. Cash, cheque, or credit card?

Luigi Thirty posted:

And there’s no way JMS would attach his name to it and write the pilot script unless he was firmly in control of things, you know how well he gets along with studios.

I know, I know, it's just when I read "90s scifi reboot" and "The CW" my mind just instantly goes to one place:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Sd23slMhWQU

It's not a happy place. So I'm worried, but hopeful, you know?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

Yeah, the thing that makes me hopeful is I cannot fathom a scenario where JMS agrees to do this without being in charge. He's stubborn and he's not hurting for work, and B5 isn't some giant property that studios are salivating at milking. I also can't imagine B5 without Andreas playing G'Kar, but who knows. My instinct is certainly I'd prefer a new thing in the same setting instead of a reboot.

Jows
May 8, 2002

CW probably gives him the best bet to complete the show.
Shows seem to putter on on CW for a long time. Riverdale is on season what?
Netflix would send him an auto generated email cancelling the series after the show failed to meet engagement metrics on day 3 of availability.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
I think it's a good idea to reboot instead of having to not only push the premise but also have to carry the weight of past decisions which might have depended on the capabilities and presence of specific actors, and physical and audience constraints that are no longer valid.

Will it be good? I don't know. What's a good thing JMS has made lately?

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

I don't think JMS would let it suck but revisits to old properties are kind of grim these days. If they're returning to that world I'd rather see a new story than remaking the old one.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
There's potential to tell a sort of alt version of the story. This is honestly like comparing the Battlestar Galactica series more then anything. Bringing back original cast members in different roles would be great for the show's legacy and its existing fans while still being completely accessible to a new audience.

I am curious if they can go so big with all the alien actors and make-up, as that's pretty expensive in general and a lot of those CW shows feel like they're on shoestring budgets.

I would also expect JMS to have a concrete X season, X episodes planned out pretty in depth.

CatHorse
Jan 5, 2008

Absurd Alhazred posted:

https://www.audible.com/pd/Becoming-Superman-Audiobook/0062932292

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

I think it's a good idea to reboot instead of having to not only push the premise but also have to carry the weight of past decisions which might have depended on the capabilities and presence of specific actors, and physical and audience constraints that are no longer valid.

People liked Sense8, I haven’t seen it though. He’s coming off of that and doing comics again, he wrote a novel, an autobiography, edited an anthology, and has been managing Harlan Ellison’s literary estate. He’s as prolific as ever.

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008
"In development" doesn't mean there's a contract to produce a series or that the show will ever make it to air.

It's encouraging that JMS is being considerate of the (surviving) original cast. And it isn't like the original show's themes aren't still current; I'd think that would be the main driver for such a reboot. Telling a story that, from a human perspective, is about how easily humanity slides into fascism seems like it unfortunately still needs to be done.

JMS is the guy who shows you characters you think you know already (like washed-up drunk Londo Mollari) and then uses them to surprise you. He's also the guy who gives away endings to storylines and then surprises you with the actual contexts (Londo and G'Kar strangling each other). I doubt that's changed over the years.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
I'm actually kind of excited. I just started rewatching the whole thing after not seeing it for 20 years. It'll be interesting to see if it makes it through developement. JMS has just gotten better with writing Sense8 was super loving good.

Iymarra
Oct 4, 2010

Survived AGDQ 2018 Awful Games block!
Grimey Drawer
Can you imagine

Earth Senator played by Claudia Christian
President Santiago Bruce Boxleitner
Emperor Turhan Peter Jurasik..

God.

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Considering how much of JMS' post-B5 output has been little more than tired B5 rehashes, I have very little faith in him re-capturing anything resembling the original spark.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Timby posted:

Considering how much of JMS' post-B5 output has been little more than tired B5 rehashes, I have very little faith in him re-capturing anything resembling the original spark.

yeah, i'm not going to put a lot of emotional capital into anticipating this, though it would be neat if it happened and was good.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Iymarra posted:

Can you imagine

Earth Senator played by Claudia Christian
President Santiago Bruce Boxleitner
Emperor Turhan Peter Jurasik..

God.

Walter Goggins as Mr Morden
Jeffrey Combs as Bester

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
I'll definitely watch it, if it ever materializes, but yeah I'm not sure I'm willing to cling to more than cautious optimism on this.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

It'd be definitely gayer this time around.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hollismason posted:

It'd be definitely hornier this time around.

FTFY; especially as a CW show. Gayer probably part of that, but that's just a subset of what's going to be happening.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

Jows posted:

CW probably gives him the best bet to complete the show.
Shows seem to putter on on CW for a long time. Riverdale is on season what?
Netflix would send him an auto generated email cancelling the series after the show failed to meet engagement metrics on day 3 of availability.

Plus then it will be on Netflix or HBO max at the end of each season, which is great.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The other promising thing about CW is that as a legacy broadcast network (nominally, anyway), they have a lot of programming hours to fill and order old-fashioned long TV seasons for the most part. Most of their stuff gets anywhere from 15-22 episodes/year, which is absolutely promising compared to the 8-and-out prestige Netflix ethos. Especially for a story as big as B5.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007

I'm on Season 3 Episode 4 and its great to see Brad Dourif in B5.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
I'm optimistic about this. It'll be never be the original, it'll be different and not everyone will be coming back and involved, but that doesn't mean it'll be bad. If nothing else it can't be Legend of the Rangers bad (right? oh please be right) so gently caress it let's go. Excited to see Babylon Prime Premiering Oct 2022.

MrL_JaKiri
Sep 23, 2003

A bracing glass of carrot juice!
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202?s=20

JMS has just posted a big thread about it on twitter

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

J33uk posted:

I'm optimistic about this. It'll be never be the original, it'll be different and not everyone will be coming back and involved, but that doesn't mean it'll be bad. If nothing else it can't be Legend of the Rangers bad (right? oh please be right) so gently caress it let's go. Excited to see Babylon Prime Premiering Oct 2022.

I will say, I would be a lot more excited if the announcement were "JMS want's a second crack at Crusade, a show that never got a proper chance", rather than just starting over B5 from scratch.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Beat me to it. Great stuff in there.

J33uk
Oct 24, 2005
Okay yeah that Twitter thread is a must read

Edit: You know I've been sitting on a Londo 9 inch action figure for about 23 years. Now could be the time for my investment to cash in.

J33uk fucked around with this message at 23:56 on Sep 27, 2021

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

J33uk posted:

Okay yeah that Twitter thread is a must read

Edit: You know I've been sitting on a Londo 9 inch action figure for about 23 years. Now could be the time for my investment to cash in.

:eyepop: ok now i'm a little excited

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

I like what I see, ngl.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

J33uk posted:

Disinfect it first, please.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

I don't know if I'm excited but I'm definitely interested to see where this goes.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

NoneMoreNegative posted:

Disinfect it first, please.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

J33uk posted:

You know I've been sitting on a Londo 9 inch action figure for about 23 years.

Does it have the proper attributes

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012
They just lost Supernatural and Babylon 5 is probably expected to have a minimum level of success from franchise fans, so it's probably a safe bet.

I would question if they can really do an older adult themed military sci-fi show on the CW though. I imagine there's going to be a couple of youngsters, like spoiled diplomats brats or station families who get caught up in the chaos.

The twitter thread is great though, and this really seems like it might be a passion project for a big chunk of CW execs especially if they're really giving JMS complete freedom to do it his way.

also, sad

quote:

How do you telling continuing story of our original Londo without the original Vir? Or G’Kar? How do you tell Sheridan’s story without Delenn? Or the story of B5 without Franklin? Garibaldi? Zack?

He's completely right and the best chance he has to do right by the original series is something completely new. Bring in the OG actors in related roles or even major characters who are completely different then before. If Bruce Boxleitner was recurring cast as one of the hard-rear end fascist Earthforce commanders it'd be great for fans of the old series and completely approachable to new fans.

pentyne fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pentyne posted:

They just lost Supernatural and Babylon 5 is probably expected to have a minimum level of success from franchise fans, so it's probably a safe bet.

I would question if they can really do an older adult themed military sci-fi show on the CW though. I imagine there's going to be a couple of youngsters, like spoiled diplomats brats or station families who get caught up in the chaos.

I don't know that you even need to do this; just double down on much hornier versions of Vir, Na'toth, Corwin, Zack, and all of the other junior personnel.

quote:

He's completely right and the best chance he has to do right by the original series is something completely new. Bring in the OG actors is related roles or even major characters who are completely different then before. If Bruce Boxleitner was recurring cast as one of the hard-rear end fascist Earthforce commanders it'd be great for fans of the old series and completely approachable to new fans.

Yeah, give Claudia Christian the General Haig role or whatever. Lots of options to use the OG actors without making them reprise roles.