Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

I'm sure there was and I'm sure he specified both whether it was smooth or fluted and the material it was made of and had some tables somewhere with breakage chances for any combination of either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

stand back vile demon. i have 10ft of hemp rope, a corkscrew, and some marbles !!

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

the artificer class in Shadow of the Demon lord is actually built around being able to fabricate useful items on the spot like that. Idk if it's any good but I like the idea of a character who just always has the right tool for the job, and if they dont they can macgyver something together.

Tenik
Jun 23, 2010

I really like the way that Fellowship handles Useful items like that. Most playbooks/classes have access to gear that has the Useful tag and has a flavorful name that matches the playbook's theme, with a limited number of uses for that piece of gear. If a player encounters a problem and they need some sort of tool or item that will enable them to do something they normally can't, they can just mark a charge off of the Useful gear. It's a great way of combining resource management and injecting narrative flavor for how PCs solve a mechanical problem, while also maintaining the session's pacing.

habituallyred
Feb 6, 2015

pog boyfriend posted:

stand back vile demon. i have 10ft of hemp rope, a corkscrew, and some marbles !!

Probably the really oldschool implementation of marbles, where the save DC is equal to the number of marbles in the pile. Would never make a Cleric in such a game without door spikes. Tying equipment to skills/limited charges is the superior choice. And a neat explanation for all those ten foot poles: took 10 on their equipment check.

Russad
Feb 19, 2011
Just wanted to pop back in to say thanks for the advice. The feedback gave me some much needed inspiration that I should be able to incorporate into our next session and hopefully get things back on track. (Unbeknownst to them, the players have been courting aid from the Dark Powers. Going to leverage some personal domains of dread to give them some opportunities to relive some of their failures and push them closer to the powers. In exchange these benefactors will help them escape.)

Sanford
Jun 30, 2007

...and rarely post!

No question today, just wanted to say thanks for all the excellent zoo ideas. It was meant to be a quick in-and-out but we’ve done two full sessions with probably at least two more to come. We had a Jurassic Park style disgruntled employee turn off some security spells, and now all the previously-suppressed abilities like invisibility, teleporting and shape-shifting are causing havoc. My favourite thing is definitely the capybaras needing to be rounded up - there are half a dozen dotted round the map and every time the players encounter a ferocious creature hurling itself at the bars and screaming - there’s a capybara, happily chewing the grass just behind them, and giving a great reason to get in the cage. Thanks to everyone who threw ideas into the mix!

Meanwhile, over in my other game…

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.
Paging Rand Brittain in particular but also anyone else:

Can anyone point me to a good Actual Play of Nobilis 3E? I'm going to be running the game in the near future and while I've pretty much internalized the rules I still don't really have a good picture of what Nobilis is like, and I could use a model.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Sanford posted:

No question today, just wanted to say thanks for all the excellent zoo ideas. It was meant to be a quick in-and-out but we’ve done two full sessions with probably at least two more to come. We had a Jurassic Park style disgruntled employee turn off some security spells, and now all the previously-suppressed abilities like invisibility, teleporting and shape-shifting are causing havoc. My favourite thing is definitely the capybaras needing to be rounded up - there are half a dozen dotted round the map and every time the players encounter a ferocious creature hurling itself at the bars and screaming - there’s a capybara, happily chewing the grass just behind them, and giving a great reason to get in the cage. Thanks to everyone who threw ideas into the mix!

Meanwhile, over in my other game…

:agesilaus:

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
This might be a long shot for the thread but does anyone have any recommendations for a system that could support a One Piece campaign? I've been combing through Big Eyes, Small Mouth and while it seems to have enough general flexibility for the setting, I'm eager to see other options. Friends have suggested Fate: Core (too narrative for my taste) and Savage Worlds (haven't had a chance to dig in yet). There's also GURPS of course, but well... that's a different kind of beast. Savage Worlds also has a seafaring/pirate module which might be adaptable.

What I'm looking for can be boiled down to two things:
1) Broad, flexible system for players to create their own powers that feel unique and rewarding across different characters
2) A robust or at least decently useful naval component for all the pirate-ship themed adventure (though really very little of One Piece actually takes place on the ocean)

For the unaware, One Piece powers come in three flavors, two of which are easier to game-ifiy:
1) Turn into/manipulate an element (i.e., I am an Ice Man which means I am made of ice, can turn into ice, and can use a loosely-defined set of ice-themed powers)
2) Turn into an animal or mythical creature either fully, halfway, or a controlled amount (i.e. I am a Bison Man, so I can turn into a bison, turn into a were-bison, or turn my legs into bison hooves to run faster)
3) I have some other less-defined attribute such as "I am made of rubber" or "I can chomp anything" or "I can touch a person and encase them in bubbles"

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

Zodack posted:

This might be a long shot for the thread but does anyone have any recommendations for a system that could support a One Piece campaign?

this may be the only time you'll ever hear me say this, but it's too bad you're not looking for a more narrative game, because otherwise Fellowship would be perfect

anyways if you want serious mechanical simulation of sailing + One Piece's particular take on superpowers... it's gonna be rough, honestly. most games I can think of that have extremely broad, yet systematized mechanics for powers like that are also very closely married to their setting -- Mage: The Awakening works kinda like that, Nobilis works extremely like that, but you can't just casually convert Nobilis or Mage to be about anime pirates instead

maybe Valor? it's a (loosely) D&D 4E-inspired RPG where players design their own powers, and it's got anime aesthetics. i haven't actually had a chance to play it so I can't promise you it'll do what you want, but it seems like it would be worth putting on your list of stuff to investigate. I don't think it has a dedicated naval combat subsystem, though.

conversely, the only RPG I've ever played that did have a dedicated "naval" combat subsystem -- and I use the term loosely -- is Fragged Empire, which has a very neatly siloed mode for spaceship vs. spaceship combat. I was impressed with how well it avoids the "decker problem" where one player gets special powers related to (hacking, sailing, whatever) and everyone else just has to sit there twiddling their thumbs unable to effectively contribute to the scene; everyone has ship combat-related skills baked into character creation, no exceptions, none of it purchased with points that could also be spent on being better at something else. i also know that there's a "high seas" alternate ruleset/setting called Fragged Seas, but I don't even own that book so I can't vouch for it's quality

Fragged Empire also probably doesn't have the type of character customization you want -- there's a lot of room for your character to be mechanically distinct in meaningful ways, but it doesn't map that neatly to themed power sets, at all.

Tuxedo Catfish fucked around with this message at 20:06 on Sep 22, 2021

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
What's the base system of Fellowship? I've heard the name quite a bit. I'm not against narrative campaigns per se, but with the wacky and highly variable nature of anime power nonsense chalking it all up to one system across all players gives me the impression it would make things less fun or turn into DM-player calvinball

admanb
Jun 18, 2014

Zodack posted:

What's the base system of Fellowship? I've heard the name quite a bit. I'm not against narrative campaigns per se, but with the wacky and highly variable nature of anime power nonsense chalking it all up to one system across all players gives me the impression it would make things less fun or turn into DM-player calvinball

Powered by the Apocalypse

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

My favourite little monsters
Anyone have recommendations for mechanics that I can use for a pseudo-heist? The characters are breaking into the villain's hq, doing the whole thing where they disable power, shut down security, get dressed up as personnel, etc, then bursting into a ritual to gently caress things up. They've got the building blueprints in front of them, so I figured something that allows them to retroactively plan for contingencies would be fitting.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I think we were just discussing this but I let my players retroactively do stuff in any session more or less- so long as they can justify their character doing it. If it's a stretch then you force a roll.

Zodack
Aug 3, 2014
Iirc Fantasy Flights Star Wars system has "Force Points" that exist in light side and dark side states. One of the uses is players doing what you're talking about in a smaller scope, but the caveat is if they do it flips to "dark side" and lets the GM do the same thing (then would flip back)

Zodack fucked around with this message at 14:28 on Sep 23, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

having limited charges for retroacting is probably a good idea for this sort of thing, especially if your players are prone to powergaming or otherwise monopolizing a session

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

Paging Rand Brittain in particular but also anyone else:

Can anyone point me to a good Actual Play of Nobilis 3E? I'm going to be running the game in the near future and while I've pretty much internalized the rules I still don't really have a good picture of what Nobilis is like, and I could use a model.

I don't know of any, but from my experiences playing 2E, every session is pretty much a mystery scenario. Players need to find out what they need to know, then they go about how they go about acquiring that knowledge. Any thing after other than that is pretty much open roleplaying around god like beings (which actually gets really boring very quick, since it's just the players talking to the HG) or wrapping up a conflict resolution (which is only as much of an issue as you make it, or choosing to punish/challenge them if they spent too many miracle points earlier).

ninjoatse.cx fucked around with this message at 15:17 on Sep 23, 2021

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

punishedkissinger posted:

having limited charges for retroacting is probably a good idea for this sort of thing, especially if your players are prone to powergaming or otherwise monopolizing a session

Also great for stopping "just 1 more thing" in situation prep.

I've had characters spend an hour and 15 minutes in real time preparing for a heist in Shadowrun when I knew it was going to go sideways from the word go. It's a wste of time for the players, and was horribly boring for me as a GM since I knew everything they did DIDN'T FUCKIN' MATTER.

Shanty
Nov 7, 2005

I Love Dogs

Morpheus posted:

Anyone have recommendations for mechanics that I can use for a pseudo-heist? The characters are breaking into the villain's hq, doing the whole thing where they disable power, shut down security, get dressed up as personnel, etc, then bursting into a ritual to gently caress things up. They've got the building blueprints in front of them, so I figured something that allows them to retroactively plan for contingencies would be fitting.

Crib everything you can from Blades in the Dark

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

ninjoatse.cx posted:

I don't know of any, but from my experiences playing 2E, every session is pretty much a mystery scenario. Players need to find out what they need to know, then they go about how they go about acquiring that knowledge. Any thing after other than that is pretty much open roleplaying around god like beings (which actually gets really boring very quick, since it's just the players talking to the HG) or wrapping up a conflict resolution (which is only as much of an issue as you make it, or choosing to punish/challenge them if they spent too many miracle points earlier).

Thanks, even that summary is very helpful.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I have an adventure next week, the players are arriving at legally-distinct-from-Waterdeep to meet up with a crusader who is a goody-two-shoes (modeled on Thalia of Thraben) trying raise an army to take back her home from the evil vampire lord.
questions are twofold:
1) is there a good map making tool to make nice looking (can be procgen) fantasy maps, preferably with the opportunity to give some inputs first

2) what sort of trouble can my npc have gotten up to in the week she's been here trying to raise an army before the PCs get there? I kind of want just finding her to be like half a session, but I'm open to ideas.

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 00:55 on Sep 29, 2021

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

Shrecknet posted:

I have an adventure next week, the players are arriving at legally-distinct-from-Waterdeep to meet up with a crusader who is a goody-two-shoes (modeled on Thalia of Thraben) trying raise an army to take back her home from the evil vampire lord.
questions are twofold:
1) is there a good map making tool to make nice looking (can be procgen) fantasy maps, preferably with the opportunity to give some inputs first

2) what sort of trouble can my npc have gotten up to in the week she's been here trying to raise an army before the PCs get there? I kind of want just finding her to be like half a session, but I'm open to ideas.

1)I use Inkarnate which is fairly cheap and effective.

2) you should have the party crossing paths with a bunch of others who are seeking to join her. only in truth they are all agents of the vampire lord and other evil entities. maybe they realize the party are legit and start messing with them.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 00:12 on Sep 28, 2021

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company

Shrecknet posted:

This lady is very clearly of the Honest and Forthright variety, right? So she gets the attention of a local Watch Lieutenant or other government official - someone not so high up on the totem pole as to be important, but who still wields power. And he says "Hey, excuse me, Ma'am, but you don't seem to have the proper Mercenary Recruitment License to engage in this kind of work, I'm afraid I'll have to ask you to stop. Oh, what's that? Well... sure, I could excuse it if you got the license... there's a forty gold licensing fee, though, with an additional ten gold to apply it retroactively..." only to come back the next week and go "No, Ma'am, your licensing is all in order, it's just that under the municipal code you're responsible for the conduct of the people who've chosen to join your crusade, and this fella here says he joined up and then went and got in a tavern brawl, so the owner can sue you for damages unless you want to just hand over some coin now and get this taken care of... what's that? Yes, the guy is my idiot cousin, why do you ask?" After the first few scams she'll start actively trying to avoid him, which is a problem, because he's also the guy that the PCs are pointed to when they start asking around.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

that is perfect because my city has a combination courthouse/amphitheater where legal matters are handled by the Quintessons from the Transformers movie and pretty much everyone gets fed to the crocodiles

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i kinda wish my players would turn down hooks sometimes. getting to the end of act one of this campaign and they have a lot of plates spinning. i guess it's on me for offering too many hooks?

pog boyfriend
Jul 2, 2011

punishedkissinger posted:

i kinda wish my players would turn down hooks sometimes. getting to the end of act one of this campaign and they have a lot of plates spinning. i guess it's on me for offering too many hooks?

start merging the subplots together :mufasa:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

pog boyfriend posted:

start merging the subplots together :mufasa:

they are interwoven plot-wise, but maybe not enough geographically. I've tried to create subplots for each character that all intertwine with the main quest.

Party is in a remote mining town in the process of industrialization. This is happening so the Tsaarina can build weapons to fight the Orc Republic who just killed their king and peeled off some of her territory. The party are part of a wave of refugees relocated here to join in building and operating the forge. They distinguished themselves when their caravan was ambushed. They were soon after hired to retrieve some gems from a nearby ancient temple. Short on cash they agreed quickly. They sought out the temple and were able to negotiate past a band of deserters to retrieve the gems and escape. Unbeknownst to the party, these are souls gems created by a precursor civilization to bind a minor demon. Now the party has released an ancient evil which terrorizes the countryside. They opt to stage a play to warn the denizens of the area about this threat using a theatre wagon they commandeered from a magician killed by the demon. They stage a hell of a show with the help of a local piano player/changeling drug dealer. The next morning several goblin miners are found torn apart in the town. Many believe this to be the work of the demon and the party is hired to investigate. However, they first decide to celebrate the successful performance by drinking a hallucinogenic tonic and tripping balls. This somehow leads to them stumbling upon a local sex cult beneath the pub and killing the imp running it. The chamber used by the cult/imp was built by the precursor race and contains a tablet indicating the location of a magical weapon wielded by the Goddess of Fertility and brewing. They get ready to seek this out but are interrupted by another few goblins being found murdered, this time with a cache of hallucinogens.(the changeling pianist/drug dealer has started a drug war with the goblin miners union who had cornered the market until they arrived). On top of all of this we have each characters subplots. The party is made up of:

1. A changeling urchin pickpocket type. Their family cast them out when they realized they were not their human child. They have formed a toxic relationship with the Fey Queen who keeps asking them to bring her mortal souls.

2. A horrific clockwork spider covered in doll heads with syringes for legs. His soul is that of a 30,000 year old ocelot. He was one of the first soul gem experiments by the precursors and gained sentience during his aeons long imprisonment before A Wizard gave him a (terrifying) physical form. He has now identified the likely location of the Wizard, but knows little of his origin. I'm planning to run a dungeon similar to "A Wizard" for those of you who have read it.

3. An orc brewer devoted to the goddess of fertility, fighting, and fermentation. He has recently joined a monastery and translated an ancient text indicating the location of a Threshing Flail imbued with the spirit of a heroic devotee of the god. (He messed up the translation a bit. The soul imbued into the flail was not willing. It belonged to a critic of the fertility god who had called for peace and an end to the soul gem project).

4. A human highwayman/folklorist who serves as the face for the party. He has bounty hunters chasing him down (or so he has been told). In truth the bounty hunters are after the changeling pianist. This hasn't stopped the local Magister from using his criminal past to pressure him for soul-gems. Could use a better goal for him to be honest.

I feel like I super need to consolidate this? Or maybe just let them really take their time and have a long-rear end campaign. We are six sessions in now, and I do feel that the party is following and comprehending all of this, and that it is all thematically linked and coherent. Writing it out does come across kind of manic though.

punishedkissinger fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 29, 2021

bare bottom pancakes
Sep 3, 2015

Production: Complete

quote:

They opt to stage a play to warn the denizens of the area about this threat using a theatre wagon they commandeered from a magician killed by the demon. They stage a hell of a show with the help of a local piano player/changeling drug dealer
:allears:

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

i love my players so much. the mechanical spider is a hell of a puppeteer and the changeling urchin PC made costumes for each head (and stole the purse of every single audience member).

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Any campaign that incorporates A Wizard is a good one, I enjoy hearing about their encounter with him and his completely normal number of limbs, and teeth

Night10194
Feb 13, 2012

We'll start,
like many good things,
with a bear.

sebmojo posted:

Any campaign that incorporates A Wizard is a good one, I enjoy hearing about their encounter with him and his completely normal number of limbs, and teeth

He's such a memorable jerk.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

I'm planning on rewriting him a little bit to make his monstrosities more bio-mechanical in nature. The PC mechanical spider (named fluffy) is going to be an earlier work of his that he discarded. The party has already been regularly sojourning into the dreamlands together and in that place Fluffy inhabits his original Ocelot form. I'm thinking at the end of A Wizard, FLuffy could come across some device that gives him the option to return to his Ocelot form, but at some dark cost.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

sebmojo posted:

Just a regular wizard that has nothing abnormal about his size, or the sorts of appendages on his body.

It does need to be tuned slightly according to the kind of setting and atmosphere of your campaign, though.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

what sort of dark bargain should Fluffy be offered in exchange for his Ocelot body? Importantly, Fluffy has been the moral core of the group and the only character who consistently wants to do the right thing.

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe
Is there a reason to have a price beyond losing their current body? Giving the hero the chance to try to return to innocence, only for them to recognize that that's impossible now, is a time-tested story beat.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

TooMuchAbstraction posted:

Is there a reason to have a price beyond losing their current body? Giving the hero the chance to try to return to innocence, only for them to recognize that that's impossible now, is a time-tested story beat.

you're probably right. their big struggle is that they want to be accepted by society and have friends but they are pretty terrifying to the average person. the rest of the party has accepted them though, and the changeling has even gone out of their way to make little outfits for them. I suppose it is kind of tidy already.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

Any thoughts on how to make overworld travel meaningful for dnd? Like not just populated with things to do, but a piece of a campaign that matters? I have a feywild campaign in mind and it'd be a real shame if only the waypoints matter. Like I'm not looking for survival mechanics or just encounter tables but a way to make the wild matter to the game.

Morpheus
Apr 18, 2008

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Any thoughts on how to make overworld travel meaningful for dnd? Like not just populated with things to do, but a piece of a campaign that matters? I have a feywild campaign in mind and it'd be a real shame if only the waypoints matter. Like I'm not looking for survival mechanics or just encounter tables but a way to make the wild matter to the game.

Have weather affect the trip. Not in a survival sort of way, but doing a simple roll each day to see if the weather improved, stayed the same, or got worse, could mean their trip taking longer than they expected, new obstacles (even simple ones) popping up as a result, things becoming easier, etc. Plus it adds a bit of life. Granted the weather in the feywild is probably something else so not sure if that even applies.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ninjoatse.cx
Apr 9, 2005

Fun Shoe

Nehru the Damaja posted:

How deep do you want to go? There's a hex-crawl/west marches thread which has loads of details about travel if you wan to make it part of your campaign.