Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: bunnyofdoom)

flakeloaf
Feb 26, 2003

Still better than android clock

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

:smith: oouf, rough to think about

Five hundred for the voters of PPC
Five hundred for the ones who spread lies
Five hundred are stamped with Mickey Mouse, and come in a smaller size

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
Former liberal cabinet minister of innovation and science has joined CIBC as vice chair, global investment banking

Congratulations to Canada and our amazing innovative ecosystem of telecoms and banks.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

sleep with the vicious posted:

Former liberal cabinet minister of innovation and science has joined CIBC as vice chair, global investment banking

Congratulations to Canada and our amazing innovative ecosystem of telecoms and banks.

Recommended reading https://lareviewofbooks.org/article/the-supermanagerial-reich/

Blood Boils
Dec 27, 2006

Its not an S, on my planet it means QUIPS

Arc Hammer posted:

Annamie Paul is leaving, blaming her party for attacking her during the election.

Good riddance you delusional loving moron.

Both of these are true imo

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Blood Boils posted:

Both of these are true imo

They don't discount one another.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Arc Hammer posted:

They don't discount one another.

Annamie Paul and the Green Party kind of mutually destroyed each other with two different and conflicting sets of incredibly bad choices this year.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
5200 new cases in Alberta over the weekend Jesus H. Christ.

Lol that the numbers popped out after Kenney rejected a lockdown yesterday.

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob
I'm starting to think Jason Kenney isn't very good at this whole premier thing.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Arc Hammer posted:

:stonk: Jesus Christ

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Arc Hammer posted:

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1442572406288232449?s=19
https://twitter.com/Adam_Toy/status/1442520022547501067?s=19
https://twitter.com/reportrix/status/1442546810443141122?s=19
https://twitter.com/vancan19/status/1442615934577901568

Central region has nearly as many cases as edmonton or calgary with half the population, most cases are kids. our hospital has stopped taking transfers from local hospitals, meaning anybody from the little shitfuck towns around here has to ride in an ambulance to Edmonton or Calgary.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

angerbeet posted:

:hmmyes:

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

angerbeet posted:

quote:

Criminal negligence

219 (1) Every one is criminally negligent who

(a) in doing anything, or

(b) in omitting to do anything that it is his duty to do,

shows wanton or reckless disregard for the lives or safety of other persons.

Definition of duty
(2) For the purposes of this section, duty means a duty imposed by law.

R.S., c. C-34, s. 202

Causing death by criminal negligence

220 Every person who by criminal negligence causes death to another person is guilty of an indictable offence and liable

(a) where a firearm is used in the commission of the offence, to imprisonment for life and to a minimum punishment of imprisonment for a term of four years; and

(b) in any other case, to imprisonment for life.

R.S., 1985, c. C-46, s. 220

1995, c. 39, s. 141

angerbot
Mar 23, 2004

plob

Weird that the Canadian Pediatric Society logo looks an awful lot like a child on fire.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

You can't arrest a premiere for doing a bad job

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

angerbeet posted:

Weird that the Canadian Pediatric Society logo looks an awful lot like a child on fire.

:eyepop:

ARACHTION
Mar 10, 2012

A page late, but if Canadian officials don’t like the Chinese government bringing up our historical and continued atrocities, they could actually fix things.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

Fart Amplifier posted:

I don't know, I think I could make a pretty good argument Kenney has, through his governance, "show[n] wanton or reckless disregard for the lives or safety of other persons"

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Fart Amplifier posted:

You should be able to though!

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Fart Amplifier posted:

Yeah actually I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here and say provable incompetence or negligence of someone at the top of the totem pole should be an arrest-able offense. There should be a cost to the privilege of power.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Orthanc6 posted:

Yeah actually I'm gonna jump on the bandwagon here and say provable incompetence or negligence of someone at the top of the totem pole should be an arrest-able offense. There should be a cost to the privilege of power.

Objectively terrible idea. Legislators would be arrested and charged for legalizing drugs or safe consumption sites or for things like crimes committed by refugees.

Calumanjaro
Nov 11, 2011

Fart Amplifier posted:

Tell that to Louis XVI.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Fart Amplifier posted:

Objectively terrible idea. Legislators would be arrested and charged for legalizing drugs or safe consumption sites or for things like crimes committed by refugees.

That similie doesn't hold up, because if legislators let people into the country and they were murdering 25 people a day or legalized a drug that killing so many people that morgue were literally overflowing with bodies.... well I think I'd like to see some criminal investigations into those circumstances as well.

Fart Amplifier
Apr 12, 2003

Another Bill posted:

That similie doesn't hold up, because if legislators let people into the country and they were murdering 25 people a day or legalized a drug that killing so many people that morgue were literally overflowing with bodies.... well I think I'd like to see some criminal investigations into those circumstances as well.

Actually, it does hold up, because there is death toll right now due to drug use that a conservative could easily blame on liberal drug policies.

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

Fart Amplifier posted:

Actually, it does hold up, because there is death toll right now due to drug use that a conservative could easily blame on liberal drug policies.

I think expert witnesses in this theoretical trial would be able to point to mountains of research that shows liberal drug policies actually save lives.

Whereas in a theoretical COVID negligence trial there would be mountains of evidence showing that the late spring policies of the Alberta government went against scientific consensus at the time when they declared COVID to be beaten and Alberta 'Open For Business' and 'Best Summer Ever' etc

These kinds of grounded in reality expert opinions matter in a court of law.

Femtosecond
Aug 2, 2003

From the Research Co "exit poll"

quote:

Practically half of Canadian voters (49%) say they voted for the candidate in their riding who had the best chance of defeating a party they disliked, even if the candidate they voted for was not their first preference.

I knew that strategic voting was a thing, but goddamn ~50%? Holy poo poo the system is broken.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Femtosecond posted:

I knew that strategic voting was a thing, but goddamn ~50%? Holy poo poo the system is broken.

actual Canadian alignment 30% PPC 30% NDP and 15 15 for the centrists

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Femtosecond posted:

I'm shocked it was that low. How is it 51% of people look at the available candidates and say, "there's someone I'd like to vote for"?

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

Femtosecond posted:

yeah but what a fuckin' massaged statistical phrasing, that "even if" is really pulling a lot of weight. no way of telling how many of those voted for the person they liked *and* thought would win.

ZShakespeare
Jul 20, 2003

War gives the right to the conquerors to impose any condition they please upon the vanquished.
lol if u think the law is around to protect us from them.

enki42
Jun 11, 2001
#ATMLIVESMATTER

Put this Nazi-lover on ignore immediately!

Muscle Tracer posted:

yeah but what a fuckin' massaged statistical phrasing, that "even if" is really pulling a lot of weight. no way of telling how many of those voted for the person they liked *and* thought would win.

Yeah I voted for the candidate who was most likely to win (I'm in Hamilton Centre, so it's a near certainty that the NDP win) AND my preferred candidate.

Another Dirty Dish
Oct 8, 2009

:argh:

Muscle Tracer posted:

Stats are great because you can spend years earning postgraduate degrees in the finer points of survey design, interpretation of results, identifying and correcting for biases, etc. and then you get a job and find out your boss’s boss already knows what they want the answer to be

Saw a Globe and Mail article earlier that said 115 Canadians are still imprisoned in China, which I guess might be a transparent attempt to whip up negative sentiment about China, but still, I wouldn’t have thought it was that many people.

half cocaine
Jul 22, 2019

Another Dirty Dish posted:

Stats are great because you can spend years earning postgraduate degrees in the finer points of survey design, interpretation of results, identifying and correcting for biases, etc. and then you get a job and find out your boss’s boss already knows what they want the answer to be

Saw a Globe and Mail article earlier that said 115 Canadians are still imprisoned in China, which I guess might be a transparent attempt to whip up negative sentiment about China, but still, I wouldn’t have thought it was that many people.

STOP. FOMENTING. WORLD. WAR. THREE.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Kinda points to how high profile the Michaels are. There is a reason they were the bargaining chip and these folks aren't.

half cocaine posted:

STOP. FOMENTING. WORLD. WAR. THREE.

Tedious :rolleyes:

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

I think that’s a bit far-fetched. This isn’t America. The Canadian media is in no way trying to whip up —

https://twitter.com/pnpcbc/status/1442602448946876418?s=21

Edit: I used your reasonable post as a setup for posting that tweet, but in all seriousness I wouldn’t draw too many conclusions from that prisoner stat without further context. Like how it has changed over time as relations cooled, if that number includes Hong Kong (because they can be dual citizens (not for long tho)), etc.

Starks fucked around with this message at 04:35 on Sep 28, 2021

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane
I wonder, in comparison, how many Chinese nationals are in prison in Canada? Like, people do dumb criminal poo poo worldwide, I would expect a certain number of my country's citizens to be imprisoned (legitimately) in any given country.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.
Wouldn't we just deport them?

Furnaceface
Oct 21, 2004

The pharmacies in Barrie have basically run out of covid vaccines after a massive late rush by people to get vaccinated. While I am glad people are getting vaccinated, why the gently caress did so many people wait so long and clog the system up again? And why is it my fault you cant find a walk in clinic at the last minute??

We had a whole loving hockey team from BC come in today looking for walk ins.

e: This wouldnt be an issue if our premier was anyone but Doug loving Ford and constantly loving up the pandemic response.

Furnaceface fucked around with this message at 05:12 on Sep 28, 2021

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

I had the pleasure of stopping at a gas station in Hanna, Alberta today, where I got to overhear a clerk loudly tell a customer that being vaccinated meant you spread COVID more easily, and then she loudly told me that, "the cities are starting to to ban fully-vaccinated people from stores."

Good fuckin' grief.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

infernal machines posted:

Wouldn't we just deport them?

Not all foreign national convicts are deported, and even if they are, it's usually after they finish their sentence. I believe there are some circumstances where they can do the time in their home country but I imagine that's off the table for countries where we don't even have an extradition treaty.

Couldn't find the number of Chinese prisoners in Canada but apparently there are around 1000 Canadians in U.S. jails.

Starks fucked around with this message at 05:27 on Sep 28, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

apatheticman
May 13, 2003

Wedge Regret

Pleads posted:

I had the pleasure of stopping at a gas station in Hanna, Alberta today, where I got to overhear a clerk loudly tell a customer that being vaccinated meant you spread COVID more easily, and then she loudly told me that, "the cities are starting to to ban fully-vaccinated people from stores."

Good fuckin' grief.

I swear some interactions with small town Alberta are just pranks. Like how can a 5 minute interaction so consistently summarize a town.

It's just gotta be a prank and some sort of montage they play for themselves.