Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

John Murdoch
May 19, 2009

I can tune a fish.
Also props to Dishonored 2's insane menu design where everything is anchored to a floating plane that tilts back and forth, is already skewed at a slight angle, and every button is labeled in a different font. :barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
The most fun I had with videogames was not playing them to relax but just really going as deep as I could in the dumbest competitive games possible, such as but not limited to League of Legends. The idea of sitting on a couch to play some AAA single player campaign is stressful to my broken brain. Carrying 4 other people hellbent on insulting each other is relaxing and gives me the peace of mind that I need. Perhaps no game was a more peaceful experience as early PUBG when it only had one or two maps.

Archer666
Dec 27, 2008

Elentor posted:

The most fun I had with videogames was not playing them to relax but just really going as deep as I could in the dumbest competitive games possible, such as but not limited to League of Legends. The idea of sitting on a couch to play some AAA single player campaign is stressful to my broken brain. Carrying 4 other people hellbent on insulting each other is relaxing and gives me the peace of mind that I need. Perhaps no game was a more peaceful experience as early PUBG when it only had one or two maps.

This is me with fighting games. Sure I could relax with a chill game and have fun, but I'd rather get angry at XxX_P4UL_B0NG_666XxX for beating me at Tekken.

hawowanlawow
Jul 27, 2009

The road rash homage road redemption is so janky, so half-assed, so frustrating, and so fun

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Archer666 posted:

This is me with fighting games. Sure I could relax with a chill game and have fun, but I'd rather get angry at XxX_P4UL_B0NG_666XxX for beating me at Tekken.

The thing is, I do not get mad. I get frustrated and bored and anxious at long single player games and really just want them to end and regret whoever convinced me they have a good story and it's worth it. I don't get stressed or mad over competitive games. I don't even get mad when I lose. I would lose on LoL then calmly rewatch the match over and over to figure out what I did wrong and fix it, and up until a certain point where winning actually matters (keeping up my rank at the end of a season) then I prefer to lose so I can learn something than to win.

Das Butterbrot
Dec 2, 2005
Lecker.

Vic posted:

proc-gen, random loot and starting over when dying = roguelikes

what am I missing?

my point was that as soon as a game has one of those things, its called a roguelike nowadays.

it needs some version of all of those and be a turn based RPG to fit the definition imo.

Hades? not roguelike
Caves of Qud? roguelike

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

bickering over whether or not any given game meets the precise definition of a particular game genre or category is the worst form of video game opinions

also true for music, film, books, etc

imo these kinds of terms are best used as non-mutually exclusive subjective loose descriptors, not discrete categories. its actually ok if roguelike means "vaguely influenced by rogue in some way"

Earwicker fucked around with this message at 22:49 on Sep 27, 2021

Quote-Unquote
Oct 22, 2002

Getting mad at a video game is so dumb. Just go do something else. I don't understand people that start yelling at games (single or multiplayer) when you could just turn it off and do literally anything else any time you wanted to.

I was playing Quake co-op with a friend the other day and we were playing one of the expansion packs (imo not as good as the original maps) and he said "I'm not enjoying this, can we do something else?" so I said "yeah bro sure" because it's really stupid to play a game if you're not enjoying yourself.

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

They’re not angry at the game they’re angry at themselves.

The only time it’s okay to get mad at a video game is the same time as it’s okay to get mad at, like, a car: when it is broken and doesn’t work. But if you die and get mad because you got headshot or missed a jump or whatever then brudda that’s on you lol

Excelzior
Jun 24, 2013

Duck and Cover
Apr 6, 2007

Elentor posted:

The thing is, I do not get mad. I get frustrated and bored and anxious at long single player games and really just want them to end and regret whoever convinced me they have a good story and it's worth it. I don't get stressed or mad over competitive games. I don't even get mad when I lose. I would lose on LoL then calmly rewatch the match over and over to figure out what I did wrong and fix it, and up until a certain point where winning actually matters (keeping up my rank at the end of a season) then I prefer to lose so I can learn something than to win.

Trying to get better at a video games (or anything really)? Ewwwwwwwww icky. Brute force skill by playing way too much none of this actively trying to figure out how to improve. Never use effort for anything. Except posting, that should be like super duper high effort.

Triarii
Jun 14, 2003

It's right to be mad at someone for telling you to play a videogame "because it has a good story"

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010
Video games are terrible, there's no good reason to play them at all. But a lot of people, including me, do, even tho we have no good reason. So our reason is bad. If our reasons are collectively bad then they are all incorrect regardless of degree.

Ergo, we are all wrong for playing games at all, so enjoy playing games in your wrong way because everyone else plays wrong too.

poverty goat
Feb 15, 2004

KonvexKonkav posted:

Real adults don't play video games for fun, they do it so they can complain about them on the internet.

for fun

jokes
Dec 20, 2012

Uh... Kupo?

syntaxfunction posted:

Video games are terrible, there's no good reason to play them at all. But a lot of people, including me, do, even tho we have no good reason. So our reason is bad. If our reasons are collectively bad then they are all incorrect regardless of degree.

Ergo, we are all wrong for playing games at all, so enjoy playing games in your wrong way because everyone else plays wrong too.

If I’m wrong and you’re wrong then everyone is right because of math

Waltzing Along
Jun 14, 2008

There's only one
Human race
Many faces
Everybody belongs here
Some video games do have good writing.
Some video games do have good stories.

I can't think of a single game that has both, though.

Probably some text adventures, now that I think of it. But who even plays those any more?

Vakal
May 11, 2008

Waltzing Along posted:

Some video games do have good writing.
Some video games do have good stories.

I can't think of a single game that has both, though.

Probably some text adventures, now that I think of it. But who even plays those any more?

Grim Fandango.

Icochet
Mar 18, 2008

I have a very small TV. Don't make fun of it! Please don't shame it like that~

Grimey Drawer

Quote-Unquote posted:

Getting mad at a video game is so dumb. Just go do something else. I don't understand people that start yelling at games (single or multiplayer) when you could just turn it off and do literally anything else any time you wanted to.

I was playing Quake co-op with a friend the other day and we were playing one of the expansion packs (imo not as good as the original maps) and he said "I'm not enjoying this, can we do something else?" so I said "yeah bro sure" because it's really stupid to play a game if you're not enjoying yourself.

and then everyone stood up and clapped.

None of that happened. You played the game all day and all night and it was the worst

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

these conversatons contort themselves so hard to avoid just admitting that you, personally, enjoy video games a lot, just like everyone else

roomtone fucked around with this message at 04:37 on Sep 28, 2021

Barudak
May 7, 2007

The undulating snake woman is right, I like video games

Earwicker
Jan 6, 2003

roomtone posted:

these conversatons contort themselves so hard to avoid just admitting that you, personally, enjoy video games a lot, just like everyone else

this forum has always attracted, primarily, nerds who are really into video games but for some reason there has always been a very vocal subgroup of posters who need to very loudly talk about how much they hate video games or any other nerdy-seeming activity. i never really understood why those people post here in the first place

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Barudak posted:

The undulating snake woman is right, I like video games

:yeah:

syntaxfunction
Oct 27, 2010

Earwicker posted:

this forum has always attracted, primarily, nerds who are really into video games but for some reason there has always been a very vocal subgroup of posters who need to very loudly talk about how much they hate video games or any other nerdy-seeming activity. i never really understood why those people post here in the first place

I don't hate video games, I just acknowledge they are terrible. I can enjoy terrible things, don't tell me I can't.

roomtone
Jul 1, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 4 days!)

it's because they're just about smart enough to kind of see the problems with being obsessive about this kind of trivial consumerist stuff, but don't have any interest in abandoning the comfort of it to take on the world in a different way so it becomes this cycle of self-loathing and lashing out at NERD BULLSHIT which they/we/i spend half of every day thinking about regardless because despite all the analysis, it's interesting and sometimes really, really good

if you really didn't like it, or REALLY thought it was stupid and pointless, you wouldn't be posting about it. you're not posting about sports or fashion because who cares, even though they're just as trivial. you liked it when you were 10, you're 40 and you still like it. maybe you have some problems with certain aspects of it, but that's not where all the 'lmao playing a video game like an idiot who shits and pisses' stuff comes from. that comes from inside.

same thing with any nerd subculture because they're all basically the same thing. you don't need to keep beating yourself with a stick, it isn't helping anybody.

edit: this isn't a direct assault on syntaxfunction, the you is general

roomtone fucked around with this message at 05:15 on Sep 28, 2021

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

All nerds should be stuffed in lockers

Colonel Cancer
Sep 26, 2015

Tune into the fireplace channel, you absolute buffoon
How many funkos do u got lol

kntfkr
Feb 11, 2019

GOOSE FUCKER

Gaius Marius posted:

All nerds should be stuffed in lockers

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!
Nofriendo Entertainment System

Collapsing Farts
Jun 29, 2018

💀
Videogames are fine

Gamers on the other hand, are not

Neco
Mar 13, 2005

listen
I play on my smart phone when I should be working, I am a business casual gamer

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
For too many people being performatively mad about other people enjoying or not enjoying things has become their hobby

Elentor
Dec 14, 2004

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Duck and Cover posted:

Trying to get better at a video games (or anything really)? Ewwwwwwwww icky. Brute force skill by playing way too much none of this actively trying to figure out how to improve. Never use effort for anything. Except posting, that should be like super duper high effort.

You can't brute force skill past a certain point, after a while people learn things wrong like Wimp-Lo and then they'll just practice those things instead. They'll get stuck in Bronze or Gold or Diamond or whatever low elo they are and they'll play 1000, 2000, hell there was a now defunct site showing a guy with 8000 matches on Bronze, and they'll never get better.

Thousands of matches brute forcing "nuts against your fist style".

Elentor fucked around with this message at 10:23 on Sep 28, 2021

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
why do you think it's gotta be 8000 matches of fist-to-nuts
what if it's 8000 games of chilling out completely and experiencing the true nirvana of gaming with 0 thoughts anywhere in your head, just following your heart and having fun and never stopping to think whether a decision was the 'wrong' one

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
I love games with stats and data and potentially improving those stats. I can't think of a more worthless type of game than Journey or Inside - 2 hour long experiences with no substance

Talkc
Aug 2, 2010

Mizuki! Mizuki! Mizuki!
***DEVASTATINGLY HANDSOME***
I find almost every Esport but fighting games to be cancerously unwatchable, even though i play most of those types of games.

I can watch *one* person play a moba, or one person play CS:go. A tournament? I dont need to try and hold focus on the information of 10 loving players 2 commentators, the crowd, the ads, and still try and parse the games itemization for each team.

Fighting Games? Even if i dont know the game i can read the fundamentals. Its focused on one screen, two fighters, info on screen. I can tell what the neutral game of a character is real quick, even if ive never seen them played before that match.

Heck, fighting games are pretty readable just on a baseline.

JollyBoyJohn
Feb 13, 2019

For Real!
Its long been the case that fighting games make for the best viewing experience and overwatch makes for the worst

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Fighting games are for people who like to fight, i.e. sociopaths.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Fighting games have been made to be spectator sports from the very start, the arcade heritage and all. The other eSports are PC genres that are designed from the player's perspective.

steinrokkan
Apr 2, 2011

Soiled Meat
If fighting games were made to be a spectator sport, then they are one of history's greatest failures.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Imagine watching someone play a fighting game. Makes you shiver.