Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Stupid and simple idea but it could be the hinge on the handle, one of my (V brake) bikes needs WD40 on one of them a few times a year.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad

learnincurve posted:

Stupid and simple idea but it could be the hinge on the handle, one of my (V brake) bikes needs WD40 on one of them a few times a year.

Work the brake caliper arms directly with your hand and see if there's an effort difference front to back. If they're the same, it's either at the lever or in the cable run.
You could differentiate further by unclamping the cable at the caliper and see if only the first pull (that slides the cable up the housing) is slow, meaning the friction is in the housing, or if they're all slow, meaning it's at the lever.

PageMaster
Nov 4, 2009
Thanks! not a bike guy so I'll need to look those up and work my way through them. I did see some visible fraying maybe on the rear brake line, but don't know if that would cause the problem since it all sits outside the wire sheathing:

PageMaster fucked around with this message at 04:03 on Sep 7, 2021

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

PageMaster posted:

wire sheathing

Cable housing.

The cable having strands loose like that is a sign of sloppy assembly or a bad clamp design, but it should be fine to loosen the clamp and test a couple times.
You could also try to twist the cable in the direction of the strands to get them tightened up.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
That’s where someone’s adjusted the wire and nothing to worry about so long as the strands haven’t snapped, if you want to tidy it up then get pliers and twist but 9/10 that silver crimper thing will fly off.

Most of my bikes look like that as it takes a while for the cables to bed in and I like my brakes on a hair trigger.

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

Pucklynn posted:

well, i put a deposit on a Tern HSD S+ so they'll ship it to the shop so i can take a look at it! pretty much everything else is out of stock until the end of the year at least and I don't want to lose the last bit of summer and fall if i can help it

looking at the product page (https://www.ternbicycles.com/us/bikes/471/hsd-s) i can't see any reason i wouldn't love it

Okay, so I got my bike on the 25th of August and I'm completely obsessed with it. I've taken it up and down all kinds of crazy New York hills and it runs like BUTTER. The automatic shifting is really smooth and intuitive. I've maxed out at about 30 mph going down a hill! I feel like some kind of god on this thing!

I'm waiting for some cargo racks to come in to really complete the set, but I'm 100% sold on biking everywhere for everything now, I'm sure my friends are tired of hearing about it. I haven't yet stopped long enough to take good pictures of it, but if there's any specific details you wanna see/hear about, AMA

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

Turns out the thousands of extra dollars do make a better product. I'm trying to find a used first gen GSD with a solid fork.

How does the bike fit for you?

Pucklynn
Sep 8, 2010

chop chop chop

kimbo305 posted:

Turns out the thousands of extra dollars do make a better product. I'm trying to find a used first gen GSD with a solid fork.

How does the bike fit for you?

I have to drop the seat down to the absolute shortest height to ride, but it fits me perfectly. I'm able to ride pretty upright with the adjustable handlebars, which I find more comfortable

my only complaint would be that the back half is heavier than the front half by enough that sometimes it attempts to tip over, but that's gotten better as I've adjusted to it

evil_bunnY
Apr 2, 2003

Pucklynn posted:

Okay, so I got my bike on the 25th of August and I'm completely obsessed with it.
One of us! One of us!

kimbo305 posted:

I'm trying to find a used first gen GSD with a solid fork.
Yesssss

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA
Good news: We've got possible progress toward an ebike tax credit! (doc)
https://twitter.com/JStein_WaPo/status/1436674529733001217

Bad news:
https://twitter.com/Giampoli/status/1436699887119261703

For the country's major metro areas, this is prohibitive for anyone in the middle class. The means testing applied to cars is drastically more generous, suggesting that the folks calling the shots are still of the mindset that bikes are luxury items and cars are everyday necessities. While the latter is unfortunately true across broad swathes of America today, the whole point of making ebikes more accessible to all should be to supplant car usage!

It's unfortunately unclear from the document exactly which bill this is a section of, but I'm hoping to figure that out and write my reps to see if things can still be amended.

Barry
Aug 1, 2003

Hardened Criminal
Phase out starts at $75k AGI for single filers ($200 for each $1k of income, so gone at ~$82k) and $150k married filing jointly. Not exactly going to do much of anything for most urbanites that would be potential e-bike buyers.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

I rode in the Tour de Staten Island yesterday. I don't know how Transportation Alternatives managed it, but they put together a route that was almost entirely uphill and upwind in every direction. just kidding. It was beautiful and really well-curated.

I rode the 35 mile course with a Bosch PowerPack 500 plugged into my bike. On the lowest assist setting, the range guess-o-meter was pretty confident I was going to get about 50 miles out of the battery. But with about 8 miles to go I was really dragging rear end, so I bumped it up to 2/4 assist. I finished the ride, and swapped in my PowerPack 400 to get me home.

The beauty of taking an e-bike on a group ride like this is I could carry panniers full of spares and tools. I helped two riders swap tubes (because I guess nobody thought to carry tire levers?), and gave one rider the CO2 left over in a half-spent CO2 cartridge I had with me. I also punctured my rear tube, but being a slime tube it self-sealed. I was able to air back up pretty quickly and be on my way.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib
Quick question for those who tinker/mod their bikes

I've wanted to add a big battery to my bike, it's already got a 52v 17aH pack on it but with the more power-intensive controller and motor I've already added to the bike it's not going as far as I'd like.
Found this battery pack, wondered if anyone's used or head of one of these?

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154188690928

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Queadlunn posted:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/154188690928
That looks like a pouch based instead of 18650 battery pack. That means you need extra mechanical protection to make sure an accident doesn't cause an uncontrolled release of a bit less than 1million Jules of energy.

CopperHound fucked around with this message at 22:09 on Sep 27, 2021

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
I've been having a grand old time on my new Aventon Aventure, but 20 miles is generous on the range if you set the max speed past 30. Still, I've never ridden an ebike before and when the motor kicks in I feel like some sort of wizard.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

How often are you getting it past 30?

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!
It really doesn't take much, just a few seconds of acceleration on any road or path that isn't too curved. If the motor assist is running for more than 5 seconds or so it will be above 30 unless there's a serious hill.

CopperHound
Feb 14, 2012

Can we clarify if we are talking about 30km/h or 30mph :catstare:

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING

Queadlunn posted:

Apart from what copperhound says with extra impact protection that pack will work just fine, provided it has a form factor that works for you. There are only so many ways to array 18650 cells conveniently. I've bought a few similar packs over the years and put into diy plywood boxes that goes into the bakfiets. In my opinion it's worth it to spend a little extra on name brand cells since those have fewer quality control issues. If it doesn't say what cells they use it's gonna be whatever chinese cells were cheapest that day (they still might even though they claim to use Samsung/LG/panasonic but I've never been scammed this way). If just one cell out of around 100 or whatever fails prematurely you don't lose 1% battery capacity but some multiple of that depending on voltage etc, but it's gonna be a 10% hit or more (higher voltage pack is worse), plus the good cells in parallel to the bad one are now under extra strain and will probably fail faster too.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 4 hours!

CopperHound posted:

Can we clarify if we are talking about 30km/h or 30mph :catstare:

The maximum speed is adjustable up to 51 km/h.

e: On pedal assist. The throttle cuts out at 20 mph or 32 km/h.

AreWeDrunkYet fucked around with this message at 12:36 on Sep 28, 2021

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

CopperHound posted:

That looks like a pouch based instead of 18650 battery pack. That means you need extra mechanical protection to make sure an accident doesn't cause an uncontrolled release of a bit less than 1million Jules of energy.

Invalido posted:

Apart from what copperhound says with extra impact protection that pack will work just fine, provided it has a form factor that works for you. There are only so many ways to array 18650 cells conveniently. I've bought a few similar packs over the years and put into diy plywood boxes that goes into the bakfiets. In my opinion it's worth it to spend a little extra on name brand cells since those have fewer quality control issues. If it doesn't say what cells they use it's gonna be whatever chinese cells were cheapest that day (they still might even though they claim to use Samsung/LG/panasonic but I've never been scammed this way). If just one cell out of around 100 or whatever fails prematurely you don't lose 1% battery capacity but some multiple of that depending on voltage etc, but it's gonna be a 10% hit or more (higher voltage pack is worse), plus the good cells in parallel to the bad one are now under extra strain and will probably fail faster too.

Thanks for the input!
I was planning on building a polycarbonate housing for the pack anyway since I'm adding a big assembly to the underside of my Rad Mini 4. I'll keep looking for a better brand cell but finding 52v packs over 20Ah is a bit of a challenge right now.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
Depending on your ESC odds are your bike will work fine with a 48v pack too, which should increase the selection quite a bit. You'll lose a bit of performance though. Have you checked on Aliexpress btw? Last time I shopped from there the selection was huge. Otherwise I'm sure some spot welding shop would be happy to build you a custom specified pack if you manage to communicate your needs effectively. It's not hard to do a one-off if you have the equipment and they're all hand build anyway.

Queadlunn
Dec 10, 2005

Yak Deculture!
Fallen Rib

Invalido posted:

Depending on your ESC odds are your bike will work fine with a 48v pack too, which should increase the selection quite a bit. You'll lose a bit of performance though. Have you checked on Aliexpress btw? Last time I shopped from there the selection was huge. Otherwise I'm sure some spot welding shop would be happy to build you a custom specified pack if you manage to communicate your needs effectively. It's not hard to do a one-off if you have the equipment and they're all hand build anyway.

The bike shipped with a 48v pack, I'm still using it as a backup for the 52v pack, made a on1-off-on2 switch harness for long rides. I want to stick with 52v if possible for the nice additional torque.

Going a full custom pack is something I've been thinking of, still need to figure out if I can find a pre-made pack that'll work.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
Has anyone any experience of Swytch e-bikes? They're all over youtube ads, it's a battery pack and wheel that you replace your front wheel with. It looks ok and reviews are good except for communication, but I was wondering if there were any personal perpsectives. They operate a weird pricing model so I'm a bit hesitant to commit.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Von Linus posted:

Has anyone any experience of Swytch e-bikes? They're all over youtube ads, it's a battery pack and wheel that you replace your front wheel with. It looks ok and reviews are good except for communication, but I was wondering if there were any personal perpsectives. They operate a weird pricing model so I'm a bit hesitant to commit.

You need to sign up for the pre-order to get the offer to buy them at £500 + the extras to turn it into assist

Really good way of converting your existing bikes, especially as they have the 26” wheel option, you take the battery off the front and it just looks like a regular bike so you can leave it locked outside.

If you are planning on getting a budget electric commuter then the current value for money one is the new Halfords electric commuter btw https://www.halfords.com/bikes/elec...hhoCHIsQAvD_BwE

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

learnincurve posted:

You need to sign up for the pre-order to get the offer to buy them at £500 + the extras to turn it into assist

Really good way of converting your existing bikes, especially as they have the 26” wheel option, you take the battery off the front and it just looks like a regular bike so you can leave it locked outside.

If you are planning on getting a budget electric commuter then the current value for money one is the new Halfords electric commuter btw https://www.halfords.com/bikes/elec...hhoCHIsQAvD_BwE

Cheers, I have the preorder available, and I have a cannondale bad boy 6 (I didn't name it) to put the wheel on. It's a better value proposition for me to do that I think over the halfords, as my company scheme won't allow me to buy from there. I'm just a bit nervous about it, I have two left thumbs and the fitting is a concern for me.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh

Von Linus posted:

Cheers, I have the preorder available, and I have a cannondale bad boy 6 (I didn't name it) to put the wheel on. It's a better value proposition for me to do that I think over the halfords, as my company scheme won't allow me to buy from there. I'm just a bit nervous about it, I have two left thumbs and the fitting is a concern for me.

I'm getting one for minicurve for sure next round - they have a fitting video on the website showing your nan can do it, before you watch it take a picture of the gap between your crankshaft and the bike and measure it and that will tell you how to fit the magnet bits and which ones in the box you need to use :)

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

learnincurve posted:

I'm getting one for minicurve for sure next round - they have a fitting video on the website showing your nan can do it, before you watch it take a picture of the gap between your crankshaft and the bike and measure it and that will tell you how to fit the magnet bits and which ones in the box you need to use :)

Ah that's cool, thanks. I'll commit. Do you know if they're ever faster than the sample12 weeks? I imagine with shipping being what it is it could be mid spring at least before we get anything,.

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
I think you had a better chance of early if you ordered yesterday so I’d go with the 3 month estimate.

I’m getting one because mini needs a 14” frame and 26” wheels and at the moment with supply as it is it would be easier to fit the swytch to her heavy jr bike than attempt to find a reasonably priced ebike in that size for sure.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.
What should I be looking for to carry me 25k-ish over gravel roads to cart my rear end down to the river and back with my fishing gear? I was looking at a RadWagon, but I have very little knowledge of these things and hope the hivemind can help.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

25 km round trip, or one way? A RadWagon would probably be pretty fine, especially at the lowest assist level. It claims a 45 mile range, but that's assuming a light rider doing a lot of the work.

Look into a suspension seatpost if you're going to take a cargo bike on gravel for a while.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

If the only cargo is fishing gear and some fish haul, any cargo bike with 2" tires will be fine on most gravel.

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.
FYI I ordered the swytch, and it allows you to specify your speed (so 15mphEU/20mph UK) at checkout no matter where it's being delivered. Hurrah!

learnincurve
May 15, 2014

Smoosh
Did you get the twist and go throttle version or pedal assist?

Von Linus
Apr 6, 2006
I complete me.

learnincurve posted:

Did you get the twist and go throttle version or pedal assist?

Just pedal assist, I do want to cycle a bit. And not pay for the extras I suppose.

XeeD
Jul 10, 2001
I see invisible dumptrucks.

Safety Dance posted:

25 km round trip, or one way? A RadWagon would probably be pretty fine, especially at the lowest assist level. It claims a 45 mile range, but that's assuming a light rider doing a lot of the work.

Look into a suspension seatpost if you're going to take a cargo bike on gravel for a while.

It would be 25k one way, hauling my tackle box, rod case, a folding chair and a cooler full of lunch and hopefully fish on the way back. I've biked my way there before, but by god the climb back up is a killer.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

The Pro's Closet has some minor deals of on lightly used ebikes. This is 23% off:

https://www.theproscloset.com/products/2019-specialized-turbo-como-2-0-low-entry-650b-l

The inventory sorted by price:
https://www.theproscloset.com/collections/e-bike

Nothing earth shattering, and nothing budget, but some stuff under 3k.

Academician Nomad
Jan 29, 2016
Costco has the Priority Current at $2800 again, Enviolo hub. I'm tempted.

Though some reviews say it really needs the Shimano hub.

Academician Nomad fucked around with this message at 13:21 on Oct 14, 2021

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

The next van Moof is going to be a $3600, 2wd, full suspension machine with a 31mph top speed*. Amazing. I'm really curious to see if that's going to spark any kind of change in the market.

* or less, depending on where you are

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Safety Dance posted:

The next van Moof is going to be a $3600, 2wd, full suspension machine with a 31mph top speed*. Amazing. I'm really curious to see if that's going to spark any kind of change in the market.

* or less, depending on where you are
The Verge says 37, unclear if the discrepancy is just the theoretical max differing from the advertised max or if the journalist just made a mistake. Doing 28 on my Allant makes me anxious for some proper protective gear, I can't imagine doing 37.