Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Screaming_Gremlin
Dec 26, 2005

Look at him. Dude's a stone-cold badass.

Arglebargle III posted:

Who is Billups?

A stone cold badass.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

A stone cold badass.

This entire post feels like a setup.

punishedkissinger
Sep 20, 2017

nine-gear crow posted:

This entire post feels like a setup.

it's a payoff actually

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono
Everyone loves Argyle! Love to see more of that guy.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

one of the characters in the janeway cartoon is literally named jankom pog

CommanderApaul
Aug 30, 2003

It's amazing their hands can support such awesome.

Paper Lion posted:

one of the characters in the janeway cartoon is literally named jankom pog

I'm interested to see how much of a leash they're going to give Mantzoukas since its Nickelodeon.

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

CommanderApaul posted:

I'm interested to see how much of a leash they're going to give Mantzoukas since its Nickelodeon.
IIRC it was developed for Nickelodeon but a few months ago they decided to put it on Paramount+

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Lol the new Foundation series found it necessary to insert a space 9/11 as well. 20 years later we still can't let go.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

One thing I like about Lower Decks is - at the start Ransom et all didn't know who boimler was, but a few episodes he was complimenting him for handling the Tendi-scorpion situation well and it seemed like he selected him for that other mission because he 'thought he was ready', they're slipping in that the LD crew are getting noticed for their good work. It's nice, although I do hope it means Boims is going to move back up to Lt Jr and they're not gonna be stuck as ensigns just for the sake of the premise.

twistedmentat
Nov 21, 2003

Its my party
and I'll die if
I want to

The Bloop posted:

My brain said "the chief engineer"

Then I glanced at your username to see who was asking and my brain was all that must say Argyle

A natural Yeager!

Though I always think of him as being the guy from Seaquest DSV.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

MikeJF posted:

One thing I like about Lower Decks is - at the start Ransom et all didn't know who boimler was, but a few episodes he was complimenting him for handling the Tendi-scorpion situation well and it seemed like he selected him for that other mission because he 'thought he was ready', they're slipping in that the LD crew are getting noticed for their good work. It's nice, although I do hope it means Boims is going to move back up to Lt Jr and they're not gonna be stuck as ensigns just for the sake of the premise.

Particular like it being a very "un-heroic" solution. Scene showed both Ransom and Bomiler in a pretty good light.

But as usually the real hero of the piece, the tireless overlooked, overworked, replicator got no credit for it's vital role. :(

Screw lower decks crew, when are we gonna see a replicator promoted to captain, starfleet? WHEN, STARFLEET, WHEN!!!!

blastron
Dec 11, 2007

Don't doodle on it!

The LD replicator gags are my favorite. Boimler ordering “birthday cake, with candles, various temperatures” during the Tendi fight was both excellent replicator pedantry and also peak Boimler wordiness. Also, “black licorice, black”.

Mx.
Dec 16, 2006

I'm a great fan! When I watch TV I'm always saying "That's political correctness gone mad!"
Why thankyew!

"coloured sand, room temperature"

Mokinokaro
Sep 11, 2001

At the end of everything, hold onto anything

Fun Shoe

MikeJF posted:

I do hope it means Boims is going to move back up to Lt Jr and they're not gonna be stuck as ensigns just for the sake of the premise.

Them growing into officers certainly feels like one direction to go.

Or Boimler being promoted and put in charge of the ensigns could be a fun way to mix up the dynamic.

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.

Screaming_Gremlin posted:

A stone cold badass.

Happy to see that thread has peaked with a double setup snype based on LDS.

Doggles
Apr 22, 2007

Shyrka posted:

Episode was a banger, such a delight to hear Jeffrey Combs' voice on Star Trek again.

I really loved the stuff with the renfaire ship too, it really had the feel of a Lwuxana episode/silly early 90s tie-in novel about a planet with dragons that just feels like Star Trek to me as much as Klingons and Picard speeches and double-fisted punches do.

I actually read this novel as a kid and was secretly hoping the renfaire people were a deep cut reference to it.

https://memory-alpha.fandom.com/wiki/Here_There_Be_Dragons

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

blastron posted:

The LD replicator gags are my favorite. Boimler ordering “birthday cake, with candles, various temperatures” during the Tendi fight was both excellent replicator pedantry and also peak Boimler wordiness. Also, “black licorice, black”.

I still want to know who is the rear end in a top hat aboard the Cerritos who broke the replicator by ordering a hot banana, and why?

galenanorth
May 19, 2016

I want to see "one bowl of hot ice cream, 0% melted"

or I'd be interested in how dangerously you can replicate before safety parameters kick in, like "one ice cube, 500 degrees Centigrade"

"okay, now one ice cube, 500 degrees centigrade, immersed in a container of boiling oil"

galenanorth fucked around with this message at 22:39 on Sep 28, 2021

Khanstant
Apr 5, 2007
Discovery autoplaying after LD episode is over is double annoying that they start you at the cringey Klingon ASMR scene of the first episode even if you let several episodes play after just to avoid that next time. Cool website.

Anyway, I hope next season of Disco, Burnham quotes Lewis Carrol in a moment of stress. Seemed like they were going to make that a thing but it got lost in one of the shuffles.

edit: Also Evil Lorca is so bad at hiding being Evil.

Khanstant fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 28, 2021

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

galenanorth posted:

or I'd be interested in how dangerously you can replicate before safety parameters kick in, like "one ice cube, 500 degrees Centigrade"

Pretty sure food replicators aren't rated to produce water under 25 Gigapascals of pressure

Terror Sweat
Mar 15, 2009

Super Deuce posted:

It’s a setup for humor in a Judd Apatow movie. Why is it so hard for people to respect rules of the universe established? It’s the most important aspect of sci-fi and horror writing. The Star Trek universe has pretty good rules established on the values of humanity.

As it is, if this show handled The Outcast instead of Riker trying to help Soren get what they wanted (I guess she for portions of the episode. Pronouns are complicated especially when considering the end of that episode) we’d see Mariner abduct a random J’naii to tell them to just pick a gender. Maybe I’m overstating but that’s legitimately how it feels this show handles itself.

You know drat well Roddenberry would be all aboard making fun of the virgin and would have had him have sex on screen if he could

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I think Mariner has probably seen a lot of red shirts get red shirted and probably has a good reason to be wary of the safety of a plucky ensign trying to prove himself. Maybe she and Tendi are going to bond over trying to keep Boimler and Rutherford out of danger.

I Am Fowl
Mar 8, 2008

nononononono

galenanorth posted:

I want to see "one bowl of hot ice cream, 0% melted"

"okay, now one ice cube, 500 degrees centigrade, immersed in a container of boiling oil"

Distilled water at 100 degrees C is somewhat dangerous and I'm sure the replicator would allow it. Basically, if you microwave distilled water, you can end up with this situation where the first thing that disrupts the surface causes it to begin boiling. Violently.

Delsaber
Oct 1, 2013

This may or may not be correct.

A single plum, floating in perfume, served in a man's hat.

Hot.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

Delsaber posted:

Hot.

Good old replicator pattern #103

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Delsaber posted:

Hot.

A plum would sink in perfume.

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
What if it's really dense perfume

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

Khanstant posted:

Discovery autoplaying after LD episode is over is double annoying that they start you at the cringey Klingon ASMR scene of the first episode even if you let several episodes play after just to avoid that next time. Cool website.

Anyway, I hope next season of Disco, Burnham quotes Lewis Carrol in a moment of stress. Seemed like they were going to make that a thing but it got lost in one of the shuffles.

edit: Also Evil Lorca is so bad at hiding being Evil.

I'm just surprised Evil Lorca wasn't promoted to Admiral twenty minutes after returning to Starfleet.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

V-Men posted:

I'm just surprised Evil Lorca wasn't promoted to Admiral twenty minutes after returning to Starfleet.
"He's a hard man who makes hard decisions. Sure, he's eaten some human flesh on occasion, but then wouldn't you given the chance?"

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
“Computer, crispy long pig belly, hot.”

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.
Makes me wonder if you need to specify serving size when ordering food. Or are there larger replicators that can serve larger food, like a whole fried pig?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

There's a couple bigass industrial replicators in engineering, and we didn't see all of it but it makes sense that the replicator room we saw once or twice has a big one for people to use. (Although the big full wall food replicators on the D are pretty big, you could probably almost get a pig outa one)

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy

V-Men posted:

Makes me wonder if you need to specify serving size when ordering food. Or are there larger replicators that can serve larger food, like a whole fried pig?

There is almost certainly a standard serving size but you can always just order more.

TEN HOT FUDGE SUNDAES

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

"The entire history of this incarnation is one of temporal orbits, retcons, paradoxes, parallel time lines, reiterations, and divergences. How anyone can make head or tail of all this chaos, I don't know."
I imagine there’s big catering size replicators next to staterooms and the like.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I wouldn't be surprised if you can channel the replicator network out through the transporter if need be and beam things into existence wherever in special circumstances.

I bet lovely captains abuse that. Bridge to transporter room three, refill my coffee.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 16:11 on Sep 29, 2021

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Now I'm imagining the mess hall replicator making one of those ridiculously long subs for parties and you have to hold it and move with it as it materializes into existence.

The Bloop
Jul 5, 2004

by Fluffdaddy
Baklava, one cubic meter

The_Doctor
Mar 29, 2007

240 sliders, various fillings, nothing sentient, silver platter.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Rack of ribs, sauce, american BBQ, composed of Captain Jean Luc Picard. 16 hour slow-cook.

What's everyone looking at me weird for?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Rack of ribs, sauce, american BBQ, composed of Captain Jean Luc Picard. 16 hour slow-cook.

What's everyone looking at me weird for?

You didn’t specify the type of sauce

Definitely should be golden for Picard imo. Needs the tang