Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Only Trust Your Respirator, kupo!
Art/Quote by: Rubby
Didn't manage to get Lowry, so I figured I'd change my team name to something more thematically appropriate. Decided to honor Kyle Anderson's Slow Break.

Also I found this and it's amazing:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lGJhj2IE8i4

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
That Simmons pick will probably end up being the steal of the draft, even if he misses a few games out of the gate. Does anyone really think he's not going to put up first-round-ish numbers wherever he lands

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

rivetz posted:

That Simmons pick will probably end up being the steal of the draft, even if he misses a few games out of the gate. Does anyone really think he's not going to put up first-round-ish numbers wherever he lands

he's going to put up triple singles, as draymond 2.0.

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

rivetz posted:

Well his fantasy points per game last season weren’t anywhere near first round in this format but yeah he’s comfortably the best last year player on the board now. But those missing games could end up being last year of Harden in Houston level poo poo, where he sits on and off or nakedly half asses until they find a deal they can stomach, then he has to adjust to a new team mid season. It’s a real risk, not least because he’s not a Harden type who can just step in and do his thing

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

I considered Simmons as an alternative to Paul since both could put up great numbers but had their respective issues that could mean them missing games.

The "Ben won't report" coverage was the deciding factor, just another layer of uncertainty. Won't be surprised if he is a standout for whoever drafted him though.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
I think midway through last round would've been where Simmons should have gone just based on last year's stats. That is a definitely limitation of the point system is it has a hard time encapsulating the value of someone who doesn't score much, and while Simmons rebounding numbers are impressive as a point guard, they are kind of just average for a power forward, so from an aggregate perspective Ben Simmons is basically below Richaun Holmes.

The system does support the ability to weigh (some) stats more for players at a certain position, but PGs are already super valuable in the system and increasing their rebounding points would make them too valuable.

I do agree though if he goes somewhere and he's driving like he did when he first got into the league then he's going to be a steal.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
When I was 17, my father was so stupid, I didn't want to be seen with him in public. When I was 24, I was amazed at how much the old man had learned in just 7 years.
Kale is the first of the season to receive an insultingly bad trade offer from me but this time it was a bad trade on my end and I'm glad I came to my senses.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

Aw dangit, that coulda been some fun haggling

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Definitely, although I have 20 people left lined up for the next two picks that I think will combine to be worth one Draymond. I'm just sad, Dray was my secret weapon last year. But also he was PG eligible last year, too.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Rick posted:

I think midway through last round would've been where Simmons should have gone just based on last year's stats. That is a definitely limitation of the point system is it has a hard time encapsulating the value of someone who doesn't score much, and while Simmons rebounding numbers are impressive as a point guard, they are kind of just average for a power forward, so from an aggregate perspective Ben Simmons is basically below Richaun Holmes.

The system does support the ability to weigh (some) stats more for players at a certain position, but PGs are already super valuable in the system and increasing their rebounding points would make them too valuable.

I do agree though if he goes somewhere and he's driving like he did when he first got into the league then he's going to be a steal.
Yeah that's very much part of my thinking, wherever he lands I 100% see him coming out of the gate with a chip on his shoulder

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
Well I sold out and drafted my least favorite player. I can only assume Wiggins will be compelled to get vaccinated and put up nice fantasy lines on whichever team he plays for.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Motel Midnight off the hook
This year I am determined to not draft anyone I don’t like, no matter how much they would help my team. It will probably hurt my team in the long run, but at least I won’t end up rooting for Kelly Olynyck.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
I was on my high horse picking Fox over Russ or Zion and then I crumbled almost immediately.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
zzzzzzzzzzzz

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

it has been many hours

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Sorry it’s my kid’s birthday and I had to get drunk enough to bite the bullet on Olynyk

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

I had to get drunk enough to bite the bullet on Olynyk

Completely understandable

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

He was really good in Houston and probably will be in detroit too but gently caress

Cart Mountain
Nov 1, 2004

I know Jalen's a reach here but the one thing I've learned about drafting with you guys so far is that if there's a player I want I just need to grab them because they will 100% not drop

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

DeimosRising posted:

He was really good in Houston and probably will be in detroit too but gently caress

Yeah he was a top 20 F/C last year probably the second half of the season but yeah then you have to cheer for him.

Cart Mountain posted:

I know Jalen's a reach here but the one thing I've learned about drafting with you guys so far is that if there's a player I want I just need to grab them because they will 100% not drop

I think it's a fine pick but lol I picked Cade like 60 picks earlier so maybe not great coming from me.

Chronicles
Oct 24, 2013

DeimosRising posted:

Sorry it’s my kid’s birthday and I had to get drunk enough to bite the bullet on Olynyk

If it makes you feel better I was 100% planning on picking him instead of Saddiq

edit: oh man I totally forgot about Spencer. This is what I get for sorting by last year's stats

Chronicles fucked around with this message at 01:44 on Sep 26, 2021

Dutchy
Jul 8, 2010
I just accepted a trade for my current pick but now it's under 24 hour review, any way to force it through so we're not all waiting another day? Can't imagine anyone would wanna veto it

e: :cheers:

Dutchy fucked around with this message at 17:19 on Sep 26, 2021

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat

Dutchy posted:

I just accepted a trade for my current pick but now it's under 24 hour review, any way to force it through so we're not all waiting another day? Can't imagine anyone would wanna veto it

I know that's giving up a lot to move up a few slots and I wonder if Hunter was even on anyone else's shortlist anyway but I don't care, I love his upside when healthy and think he's a better #2 w Trae than Collins. I feel like we're entering the area where the player pool starts to flatten out a little and you can afford to gamble a bit

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
drat I forgot I wanted Hunter. That’s ok it looks like Charlotte will be playing Plumlee a lot.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

I would like to lodge an official objection with the league, that EricCartman2000atYahoo should change their team name to something stupid about LOTR.

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

Dutchy posted:

There doesn't seem to be a way to turn off reviews all together, the manual says something like "commish, make sure to quickly approve trades during the draft." Lol great.

rivetz posted:

I know that's giving up a lot to move up a few slots and I wonder if Hunter was even on anyone else's shortlist anyway but I don't care, I love his upside when healthy and think he's a better #2 w Trae than Collins. I feel like we're entering the area where the player pool starts to flatten out a little and you can afford to gamble a bit

I was taking him either that round or next. He was really good last year before getting hurt.

E: like Drummond was by far the best last-year stat player remaining (and was last cycle, too, lol), but I half think I could have let him go another entire cycle because no one wants him and his numbers will definitely be down this season since he'll only be starting on the games Embiid sits (although those days he does start it's gonna be worth it I think). But I was still half-asleep when I was up and didn't feel like going to look at my list and just picked Drummond from my bed because I could remember him.

Rick fucked around with this message at 23:40 on Sep 26, 2021

Ghost Dog
Aug 17, 2016

i was going to take drummond last cycle but figured i could just wait forever, this was not true

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
Oooh yeah. Klay Thompson.

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

A ton of my remaining board got snapped up, so I figured boom or bust!

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
He's usually like a solid second-third round draft pick when healthy although he also right now is in the period where non-KD people suck when they get back on the floor so who knows.

rivetz
Sep 22, 2000

Soiled Meat
I was wondering when guys like Murray and Klay would go. It makes sense that they would have more value in a deeper league than they did last year. I'm really curious to see how Isaac looks when he comes back too, now that Lavine and Durant have made it clear that it's entirely possible to come back all the way, it really raises the ceiling on expectations.

also interested how things will go this season free agent-wise w 13 teams in the league vs 10, with all the injuries last season I was scraping the wire on a daily basis;. Pull 36 more players (most of the best ones, too) out of that pool and it could get pretty hairy. Should be cool, it's so satisfying to take a flyer on someone who winds up saving your bacon on a given night

kalensc
Sep 10, 2003

When the draft winds up will it go to waivers for a bit, or straight into FA?

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

kalensc posted:

When the draft winds up will it go to waivers for a bit, or straight into FA?

I believe it is supposed to be waivers after the draft, although I can't say for certain because we started so late last year I have no clue how it's supposed to actually work.

Red Rox
Aug 24, 2004

Godspeed to everyone who didn’t take “anti-vax idiocy” into account for their drafting!

Red Rox fucked around with this message at 07:39 on Sep 28, 2021

EmotionlessThug
Feb 14, 2012

Getting a little worried about Kyrie. Kai go back to being dumb in a cool way please

Rick
Feb 23, 2004
We have officially entered the uncool zone of remaining players.

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
There were about 20 guys I could have justified taking, and it’s not surprising at all that Oubre/Kuzma/Gordon went right after I picked. I was surprised Gordon was still on the board tbh

Rick
Feb 23, 2004

The Maestro posted:

There were about 20 guys I could have justified taking, and it’s not surprising at all that Oubre/Kuzma/Gordon went right after I picked. I was surprised Gordon was still on the board tbh

Other than Murray and Hardaway (who was good , I guess the rest of us forgot) this entire round has been the waiver wire all stars from last season. Which makes me nervous about what waivers are going to look like once this gets going.

creamcorn
Oct 26, 2007

automatic gun for fast, continuous firing

Red Rox posted:

Godspeed to everyone who didn’t take “anti-vax idiocy” into account for their drafting!

i picked up harris specifically because i think he's gonna get way more touches in BKN home games lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006

Rick posted:

Other than Murray and Hardaway (who was good , I guess the rest of us forgot) this entire round has been the waiver wire all stars from last season. Which makes me nervous about what waivers are going to look like once this gets going.

I was shocked the site’s formula had THJ so low when you sort by draft #. I guess that’s based on where other leagues draft him maybe?

You guys are making good points about the waiver wire with the few extra teams we have. It’ll be even more rewarding now to find that one week pickup who swings the series for you. Lot of good looking teams so far though!