Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

It's not bad, yeah. I'm really not super into panel shows and their place in the UK comedy ecosystem though, so I tend to have a bit of an "okay, impress me" attitude when watching them which isn't good.

My PHUO can be that panel shows did more harm to UK comedy than Covid ever did.

I think UK Comedy peaked with Fry And Laurie, and didn't get good again until Edgar Wright did Hot Fuzz and Sean of the Dead

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

alexandriao posted:

I think UK Comedy peaked with Fry And Laurie, and didn't get good again until Edgar Wright did Hot Fuzz and Sean of the Dead

Jesus but OK.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
UK comedy is bad, and it's not because I don't "get" it

Jokerpilled Drudge
Jan 27, 2010

by Pragmatica

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

UK comedy is bad, and it's not because I don't "get" it

exhibit A: QI

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

alexandriao posted:

If we're talking about TV stuff, we had "I'm Alan Partridge", "Brass Eye" and (I think) "Look Around You" in that gap.

Panel shows are loving dog poo poo, but presumably quick and cheap to make

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!
Quote/edit

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

QI is bad, but it was better than every other loving channel's offerings at that specific time slot, and it had both Alan Davis and Stephen Fry, who both basically were the show.

It was a bad show and the facts it gave out got a reputation for being just plain wrong but those two people are very good just generally so it "balanced out", but for that exact reason I can't put it anywhere near the same league as ABOFL

Disco Pope posted:

If we're talking about TV stuff, we had "I'm Alan Partridge", "Brass Eye" and (I think) "Look Around You" in that gap.

What I've seen of Look Around You was good, I'm not a fan of Partridge but it was an effective parody. I haven't seen Brass Eye but honestly Lineham being one of the writers really puts me off from the get-go

Actually, I tried to revisit the IT Crowd recently and it just... really really has not held up at all.

doverhog
May 31, 2013

Defender of democracy and human rights 🇺🇦
Smack the Pony was the height of UK comedy.

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

doverhog posted:

Smack the Pony was the height of UK comedy.

That was good too. gently caress, we had Jam in there too.

Also, Linehan has gone loving nuts and I'm willing to bet there's gross moments in everything he ever touched, but Father Ted was masterful stuff.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Disco Pope posted:

That was good too. gently caress, we had Jam in there too.

Also, Linehan has gone loving nuts and I'm willing to bet there's gross moments in everything he ever touched, but Father Ted was masterful stuff.

Father Ted apparently was mostly written by other people!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Smack the Pony sounds like something the kids are doing now that Ice T's gonna have to tell me about.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Narkomfin sounds better than any apartment I've lived in

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Collective kitchens can absolutely gently caress right off.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

alexandriao posted:

Actually, I tried to revisit the IT Crowd recently and it just... really really has not held up at all.

When it sticks to its strength as a workplace comedy about hopeless nerds and hopeless corporate drones, it's fine. The farther it strays from that, the iffier it gets.

alexandriao
Jul 20, 2019

Actually I feel like Lineham is a bit like Gervais in that with Gervais, Stephen Merchant was doing the heavy lifting for most of his career.

Powered Descent posted:

When it sticks to its strength as a workplace comedy about hopeless nerds and hopeless corporate drones, it's fine. The farther it strays from that, the iffier it gets.

Is there an episode where they dont stray from that premise? I'm amazed.

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I like Matt Berry

Elissimpark
May 20, 2010

Bring me the head of Auguste Escoffier.

christmas boots posted:

I like Matt Berry

If I ever revisit IT Crowd, it is solely for his entrance at his father's funeral and especially the slapsies with the priest.

Zzulu
May 15, 2009

(Ă¢Â–Â°Ă‹Â˜vĂ‹Â˜Ă¢Â–Â°)
I don't know anything about the UK which is weird since they're fairly close to Sweden. I know they also have poo poo weather and they chose to do Brexit and they seem to be most known for bad dental hygiene and sad food.

I'd stay far away from the UK if I were you

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Zzulu posted:

I don't know anything about the UK which is weird since they're fairly close to Sweden. I know they also have poo poo weather and they chose to do Brexit and they seem to be most known for bad dental hygiene and sad food.

I'd stay far away from the UK if I were you

They're known for excellent dental health. They're known for bad teeth in America, which is quite different.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
List of anglo countries you shouldn't stay away from if you can:

1. New Zealand??

YeahTubaMike
Mar 24, 2005

*hic* Gotta finish thish . . .
Doctor Rope
Everything bagels suck.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Maybe if I'm busy it could keep me from you

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everything bagels suck.

each flavour within an everything bagel is really good. Combining them all together into one is bad.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018
Women are wonderful animals, they should be making music and writing novels about having a complex relationship with your mother.

3D Megadoodoo posted:

They're known for excellent dental health. They're known for bad teeth in America, which is quite different.

No they actually do have poor dental health compared to the rest of Europe. Like literally last week they decided to fluoridate their water. Britain hasn't had fluoridated water until now.

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Gripweed posted:

No they actually do have poor dental health compared to the rest of Europe. Like literally last week they decided to fluoridate their water. Britain hasn't had fluoridated water until now.

I could be wrong, but doesn't the UK have one of the lowest rates of cavities in the world?

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

Fashionable Jorts posted:

I could be wrong, but doesn't the UK have one of the lowest rates of cavities in the world?

"Résultat de recherche d'images pour "UK cavity rate"
Although oral health is improving in England, the oral health survey of 5 year olds in 2017 showed that just under a quarter have tooth decay ( PHE National Dental Epidemiology Programme for England, 2017). Each child with tooth decay will have on average 3 to 4 teeth affected"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/child-oral-health-applying-all-our-health/child-oral-health-applying-all-our-health

Fashionable Jorts
Jan 18, 2010

Edgar Allen Ho posted:

"Résultat de recherche d'images pour "UK cavity rate"
Although oral health is improving in England, the oral health survey of 5 year olds in 2017 showed that just under a quarter have tooth decay ( PHE National Dental Epidemiology Programme for England, 2017). Each child with tooth decay will have on average 3 to 4 teeth affected"

https://www.gov.uk/government/publications/child-oral-health-applying-all-our-health/child-oral-health-applying-all-our-health

Oh dang. Guess I should've double ckecked that good-teeth claim.

Ugly In The Morning
Jul 1, 2010
Pillbug

YeahTubaMike posted:

Everything bagels suck.

:mods:

Disco Pope
Dec 6, 2004

Top Class!

Oh dang. Guess I should've double ckecked that good-teeth claim.

We have access to good dental care, but we also have access to sugar and Carling.

JnnyThndrs
May 29, 2001

HERE ARE THE FUCKING TOWELS

If you don't have teeth, you don't get cavities.

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

I used to think you were a good mod, but the refusal to bring the fury here is noted

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

People who pronounce kraken cracking should be slapped.

yeah I eat ass
Mar 14, 2005

only people who enjoy my posting can replace this avatar
I think bagels suck in general, except when sliced in half and toasted with butter like regular toast.

Manager Hoyden
Mar 5, 2020

3D Megadoodoo posted:

People who pronounce kraken cracking should be slapped.

I haven't talked about that particular pretend monster enough to have a favored pronunciation much less an opinion about how others say it

So I've decided it is pronounced "crike-en" and everyone who disagrees should be buried in garbage

christmas boots
Oct 15, 2012

To these sing-alongs 🎤of siren 🧜🏻‍♀️songs
To oohs😮 to ahhs😱 to 👏big👏applause👏
With all of my 😡anger I scream🤬 and shout📢
🇺🇸America🦅, I love you 🥰but you're freaking 💦me 😳out
Biscuit Hider
I put the emphasis on the second syllable instead. Kra-KEN

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo
Just do a really bad Steve Irwin impression

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin
If it was up to me, I would stop the bookstore I work at from selling half of the business section and all of the self-transformation section. The half of the business section that sells is stuff that’s basically “I became rich and by reading this so can you!” nonsense and self-transformation is just books on how to cast spells.

At the very least we should put them in fiction

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund
Every single "self-help" book is essentially the same stupid poo poo repackaged. It's like managerial training, it's all acronyms and attempts at depth done by people who think reading "thinking fast and slow" makes them geniuses.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Typical non sigma mindset

Josef bugman
Nov 17, 2011

Pictured: Poster prepares to celebrate Holy Communion (probablY)

This avatar made possible by a gift from the Religionthread Posters Relief Fund

Gaius Marius posted:

Typical non sigma mindset

Sigma balls.

Also the idea of "grading" different sorts of masculinity and trying to force different versions of yourself into categories is one I understand but really despise.

Josef bugman has a new favorite as of 00:12 on Sep 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

Josef bugman posted:

Sigma balls.

Also the idea of "grading" different sorts of masculinity and trying to force different versions of yourself into categories is one I understand but really despise.

Hogwarts Houses but for masculinity