Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Who Killed WCW?
Eric Bischoff
Hulk Hogan
Vince Russo
Jerusalem
View Results

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I mean, Bischoff was in a position of power when he was with WCW so of course he was going to let it go to his head

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Ganso Bomb posted:

What even were his reasons? Just because he liked these guys and wanted to get them paid? Because he wanted to take over WCW? I don't remember his explanation for being the brain/money behind it all.
Like, for real? I'm convinced by the narrative that he was a mark for the Big Boys and hanging out with them made him feel like a cool tough guy. I'm sure he's talked a lot of bullshit on podcasts, but this is the guy who booked himself against Vince McMahon, came out throwing punches at the camera like he was fighting in the UFC, and what was that outfit?

iamsosmrt
Jun 14, 2008

I'm almost surprised by reading someone saying Bischoff's membership gave more legitimacy to their existence. Like it kind of does, but this was wrestling in 1996, and no one gave a poo poo about a slightly more feasible way they could've worked in a corporate structure under Turner and WCW. It's not like the group holds up under any scrutiny anyway.

Super Dan posted:

To be fair, they kind of did do this after the Fingerpoke. When Hogan joined the Wolfpac, the scrubs were all still the nWo Black & White B-Team.
i hear ya on that, but this also happened well after the nWo mostly stopped being relevant as a mainstream draw and WCW's deathmarch began. Plus I think a real "B" group should've been given a whole different name altogether so you keep some aura around the actual relevant group.

Did the nWo end up building up anyone within the group aside from established stars like Hall and Nash? I mean like in the sense that Evolution built Randy Orton up.

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

iamsosmrt posted:

Did the nWo end up building up anyone within the group aside from established stars like Hall and Nash? I mean like in the sense that Evolution built Randy Orton up.
One could argue that they helped build Scott Steiner up as a singles star

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

TheKingslayer posted:

Now that you mention it most of the time I'm thinking of the cool nWo is in fact The Outsiders before the third man is revealed. So yeah I guess Eric does work once Hogan is involved until 98.

Yeah a huge part of the nWo working is how good Hall and Nash are at just talking and goofing around. (Paul Wight, when Giant turned, ended up being pretty funny too.) Currently I’ve been watching Raw and Nitro from 96, just after Fall Brawl, and I do see the challenge in keeping the show interesting if the nWo are going to just be on top through next year. (Also the Nick Patrick angle is just not working.) Still better than WWF though.

TheKingslayer
Sep 3, 2008

Maxwell Lord posted:

Currently I’ve been watching Raw and Nitro from 96, just after Fall Brawl, and I do see the challenge in keeping the show interesting if the nWo are going to just be on top through next year. (Also the Nick Patrick angle is just not working.) Still better than WWF though.

I had the same thoughts last time I watched the shows in order like that. WWF is just boring while WCW has a story that's affecting the show from top to bottom on top of having some really good matches. The Nick Patrick angle left me pretty cold too. They tried to make it interesting but I've never personally been into situations where the ref is so blatantly crooked.

The American Dream
Mar 1, 2007
Don't Forget My Balls

iamsosmrt posted:

Vincent.

Went to Ted dibiases lackey to the Hulksters lackey.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

iamsosmrt posted:

There weren't really any young prospects in the group to elevate.

I guess you could argue that it completely disassociated Sean Waltman from the 1-2-3 Kid gimmick, for whatever that's worth. Same goes for Buff Bagwell and the American Males. Those two basically ran with their nWo personas for the rest of their careers. But I don't think they were any further up the card than they were previously.

I don't think Paul Wight got any more of a rub from being in the group than he did from his initial monster push.

DDP was elevated to star status by the nWo, but he did it by NOT joining.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Nash is an interesting story because, while he was already a main eventer and former world champion, his run is infamously disastrous. Had he just been Diesel, no one would remember or care about him one bit. It is his run as Kevin Nash in the nWo and Wolfpac that actually made him someone worth remembering.

So that's elevation in a sense.

Which is a little ironic because I'm pretty sure his best matches were all in WWF with Bret and Shawn. It's kinda like how many people my age associate Sting with Crow Sting but what good matches did Crow Sting have? All his best work was from before this. It just goes to show the power of good storytelling and charisma, you don't even need to have good matches to be a superstar and good matches do not guarantee success.

NikkolasKing fucked around with this message at 13:33 on Sep 28, 2021

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Bischoff is actually a really great on screen character and performer, and I'd like more guest appearances from him in AEW. He knows that he's the weasely bad guy and has no trouble allowing himself to be humiliated by the baby-face.

That being said, some of his over indulgent Nitro segments like the Talk Show or sitting on his motorbike in a spotlight while talking about personal beefs were very tedious.

Funnily enough, AEW has used him as a face and it's been effective

I agree though, he's probably the best GM WWE ever used

El Gallinero Gros fucked around with this message at 13:56 on Sep 28, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
It helps that Bischoff's AEW gimmick is "arrives, undermines Jericho in some way, leaves" so when Jericho is a heel he works as a babyface making Jericho look like the fool he is in a cameo.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

I remember Bisch had grey hair even in the 90s. He's two decades older now. I don't watch AEW but I'd think it be hard to hate a grey-haired old man who was never even a wrestler and has no actual power.

But yeah, he was always 10/10 as a personality. I loved him more than Vince, honestly. Vince was probably better but I liked the way Eric was a heel more. The poo poo-eating grins and blowing kisses to the fans was amazing.

Flight Bisque
Feb 23, 2008

There is, surprisingly, always hope.
I liked when he pretended to be an airplane.

and his theme, while just a song from the movie Desperado, was pretty good too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y871GtXFUc

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Flight Bisque posted:

I liked when he pretended to be an airplane.

and his theme, while just a song from the movie Desperado, was pretty good too!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Y871GtXFUc

Oh God I remember being pissed his solo theme was so good because I disliked his segments so much

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

Zombie Lemur posted:

There weren't really any young prospects in the group to elevate.

I guess you could argue that it completely disassociated Sean Waltman from the 1-2-3 Kid gimmick, for whatever that's worth. Same goes for Buff Bagwell and the American Males. Those two basically ran with their nWo personas for the rest of their careers. But I don't think they were any further up the card than they were previously.

I don't think Paul Wight got any more of a rub from being in the group than he did from his initial monster push.

DDP was elevated to star status by the nWo, but he did it by NOT joining.

Bagwell moved up slightly.

He had a slight singles push in 1991, but was exclusively a tag wrestler with little personality from then until the NWO.

rujasu
Dec 19, 2013

Konnan maybe? He did have a run as US champ, but was a bit lost before he joined the nWo.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Scott Steiner should definitely be in the conversation as someone who was elevated by being in the nWo, going from a tag team guy to a bonafide singles star. Norton, I suppose, benefited in Japan from his association with the nWo, seeing how he got an IWGP Heavyweight title run out of it.

NikkolasKing posted:

Which is a little ironic because I'm pretty sure his best matches were all in WWF with Bret and Shawn. It's kinda like how many people my age associate Sting with Crow Sting but what good matches did Crow Sting have? All his best work was from before this. It just goes to show the power of good storytelling and charisma, you don't even need to have good matches to be a superstar and good matches do not guarantee success.

His matches with DDP on the Nitro aired May 23rd, 1998 and April 26th, 1999 are worth watching.

He had a good match with Booker T at Spring Stampede 2000. By 2000 WCW standards, a match that is "good" might as well be akin to Flair v Steamboat or Bret v Owen.

Other than that, he's had good singles matches in TNA, but those involve guys that are among the best North American wrestlers in the last 20 years like AJ Styles and Samoa Joe, or Kurt Angle, who would be in the conversation when discussing whom the GOAT would be. Other than that, it's multi-man matches where his weaknesses due to age could be easily covered.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

One minor thing I dislike about the Retro shows is they never seem to notice when wrestlers go missing. Like, Mongo was around doing stuff every Nitro for a year or two and then he's just gone and neither Bryan nor Vinny nor Craig notice or comment. I'm in early 98, where'd he go?

I feel like this happened more with WCW than WWF. Wrestlers will be featured heavily for a long time and then vanish.

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

NikkolasKing posted:

One minor thing I dislike about the Retro shows is they never seem to notice when wrestlers go missing. Like, Mongo was around doing stuff every Nitro for a year or two and then he's just gone and neither Bryan nor Vinny nor Craig notice or comment. I'm in early 98, where'd he go?

I think that was time he went on a bender of sorts. He'd just gotten divorced and was partying a lot and quit showing up for TV.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1445461812397461504

this fuckin shirt

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
ellipsis AND a parenthetical command

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

Grimey Drawer
(see back) really is the killer

sean_bateman
Feb 27, 2012

glug.gif
JOHN NORD is the funniest loving name and I can't precisely say why

BrigadierSensible
Feb 16, 2012

I've got a pocket full of cheese🧀, and a garden full of trees🌴.

sean_bateman posted:

Because JOHN SUD is the seriousest loving name, and they are opposites.

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

sean_bateman posted:

It's even funnier when you realize that's his real name.

But not so funny when you realize he's got like 15 DUI's and isn't in jail because he's in assisted living because he has ALS.

Guy can't even walk around his home yelling "HUSS HUSS" anymore

stab fucked around with this message at 04:17 on Oct 6, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I went to college with a dude whose last name was Nord

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

NikkolasKing posted:

I feel like this happened more with WCW than WWF. Wrestlers will be featured heavily for a long time and then vanish.

Could be a variety of reasons

1. Getting lost in the shuffle of a bloated roster
2. Got too over for his own good, so taken off TV
3. Just didn't show up because he just couldn't be hosed

I think you also need to remember that even during their heyday, WCW couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

NikkolasKing posted:

early '98? he broke his hand and is back in a couple of months

he leaves at the start of 1999 though and his contract was formally terminated sometime in the spring

edogawa rando posted:

Could be a variety of reasons

1. Getting lost in the shuffle of a bloated roster
2. Got too over for his own good, so taken off TV
3. Just didn't show up because he just couldn't be hosed

I think you also need to remember that even during their heyday, WCW couldn't organise a piss-up in a brewery.

generally in wcw its usually 1, 3, or contract dispute

they would humiliate people for 2

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

they would humiliate people for 2
sounds familiar 🤔

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK
Sep 11, 2008

Anytime I need to see your face I just close my eyes
And I am taken to a place
Where your crystal minds and magenta feelings
Take up shelter in the base of my spine
Sweet like a chica cherry cola

-Cheap Trick

Nap Ghost

Nick Jr. Face posted:

sounds familiar 🤔

well in that case it was more an issue of booking leadership rapidly swapping towards the end and the new booker wanting to get his friends over at the expense of people who got over in the previous regime

iit's not wrong tos ay that WCW failed to build up stars before they really collapsed, though it would be wrong to say that they didnt try, because they tried but outside of Goldberg never really succeeded because they kept undercuting

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

OJ MIST 2 THE DICK posted:

well in that case it was more an issue of booking leadership rapidly swapping towards the end and the new booker wanting to get his friends over at the expense of people who got over in the previous regime

iit's not wrong tos ay that WCW failed to build up stars before they really collapsed, though it would be wrong to say that they didnt try, because they tried but outside of Goldberg never really succeeded because they kept undercuting

One thing that needs to be mentioned is that when guys would get momentum, it wasn't just brass undercutting them, but veteran main event guys too.

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

stab posted:

It's even funnier when you realize that's his real name.

But not so funny when you realize he's got like 15 DUI's and isn't in jail because he's in assisted living because he has ALS.

Guy can't even walk around his home yelling "HUSS HUSS" anymore

I will always associate John Nord with sliding back into a booth to tell one more story about trying to piledrive Dusty Rhodes.

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/deepcutswcw/status/1445731866439389198?s=21

I forgot how often people would flat out bury they very show you were watching. It’s kind of incredible

davidbix
Jun 14, 2016

Wow, Bix. First K.Rool, then Steve and now SEPHIROTH? Your dream game is real!

Deathlove posted:

I will always associate John Nord with sliding back into a booth to tell one more story about trying to piledrive Dusty Rhodes.
There's no way it's true as told but it's still wonderful:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hlwn_75NW_k

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/DeepCutsWCW/status/1446294230348046336

god Brad Armstrong owned

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

There's always been the whole 'Brad got his dad's in-ring talent but not his charisma' narrative but I'm not really sure that's true. I think he was plenty charismatic you just had to give him something he cared about.

A friend pointed out how silly it is for Brad to be on so many 'most underrated' lists since like everybody who saw him rated him very highly. (Underappreciated, especially by management, is a different story.)

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 13:39 on Oct 8, 2021

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
The story I've heard about Brad Armstrong is that he was very charismatic and hilarious with the boys in the back but as soon as he had to cut a promo in front of the camera the crippling stage fright would wipe it all out.

He also low-key had one of the best entrance themes of all time:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Do_Dz4K_cE

FUCKFACE MORON fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 8, 2021

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

I will always take Jimmy Hart and a drum machine over the garbage themes Up North uses these days

Hedgehog Pie
May 19, 2012

Total fuckin' silence.
IT'S ME IT'S ME IT'S THAT BEE YOU DOUBLE ZEE

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DJExile
Jun 28, 2007

FUCKFACE MORON posted:

The story I've heard about Brad Armstrong is that he was very charismatic and hilarious with the boys in the back but as soon as he had to cut a promo in front of the camera the crippling stage freight would wipe it all out.

Yeah this is how I've always heard it as well. Seemed like he was unanimously agreed to be one of the funniest and nicest guys backstage.