Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Kjermzs posted:

Are any of you wizards at searching with Scryfall?

I want to update my Morophon tribal commander deck. How do I create a search that looks for cards with ANY tribal type and filter it to the last couple years of set releases. I'm looking for new cards that work like Rooftop Storm or Crux of Fate.

I already found all the new changelings using this search.
Because tribal payoffs are so varied there's going to be no singular search for this. Unless you search for every creature type at once. Which I supposev you could do by looking up the rule that defines all the legal creature types, paste them into your favorite text editor, and then doing a find/replace for ", " with " o:" which will look for any card that references a specific a specific creature type.
Then OR that condition with the phrase "choose a creature type" and that should cover just about everything

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

HootTheOwl posted:

Because tribal payoffs are so varied there's going to be no singular search for this. Unless you search for every creature type at once. Which I supposev you could do by looking up the rule that defines all the legal creature types, paste them into your favorite text editor, and then doing a find/replace for ", " with " o:" which will look for any card that references a specific a specific creature type.
Then OR that condition with the phrase "choose a creature type" and that should cover just about everything

oh yeah you can use regex.. so you can do

o:/\b(Angel|Zombie|Human|Vampire)s?\b/ set:MID

however yeah you'd have to find all the types yourself

Tulul
Oct 23, 2013

THAT SOUND WILL FOLLOW ME TO HELL.

Kjermzs posted:

Are any of you wizards at searching with Scryfall?

I want to update my Morophon tribal commander deck. How do I create a search that looks for cards with ANY tribal type and filter it to the last couple years of set releases. I'm looking for new cards that work like Rooftop Storm or Crux of Fate.

I already found all the new changelings using this search.

As others have said, there's not really a good way to do this. The easiest way is to just take a line (Scryfall has a character limit on its search, so you need to break it up) from the following (every creature type that's mentioned in oracle text) and paste it into a set of parentheses, then add "year>2017 not:reprint" without the quotation marks. You can try looking for phrases common to tribal cards to narrow it down, like o:"you control" or o:"you cast" or what not, but that will miss certain things.

code:
o:"Advisor" or o:"Aetherborn" or o:"Ally" or o:"Angel" or o:"Antelope" or o:"Ape" or o:"Archer" or o:"Archon" or o:"Army" or o:"Artificer" or o:"Assassin" or o:"Assembly-Worker" or o:"Atog" or o:"Aurochs" or o:"Avatar" or o:"Azra" or o:"Badger" or o:"Barbarian" or o:"Bard" or o:"Basilisk" or o:"Bat" or o:"Bear" or o:"Beast" or o:"Beeble" or o:"Beholder" or o:"Berserker" or o:"Bird" or o:"Blinkmoth" or o:"Boar" or o:"Bringer" or o:"Brushwagg" or o:"Camarid" or o:"Camel" or o:"Caribou" or o:"Carrier" or o:"Cat" or o:"Centaur" or o:"Cephalid" or o:"Chimera" or o:"Citizen" or o:"Cleric" or o:"Cockatrice" or o:"Construct" or o:"Coward" or o:"Crab" or o:"Crocodile" or o:"Cyclops" 

o:"Dauthi" or o:"Demigod" or o:"Demon" or o:"Deserter" or o:"Devil" or o:"Dinosaur" or o:"Djinn" or o:"Dog" or o:"Dragon" or o:"Drake" or o:"Dreadnought" or o:"Drone" or o:"Druid" or o:"Dryad" or o:"Dwarf" or o:"Efreet" or o:"Egg" or o:"Elder" or o:"Eldrazi" or o:"Elemental" or o:"Elephant" or o:"Elf" or o:"Elk" or o:"Eye" or o:"Faerie" or o:"Ferret" or o:"Fish" or o:"Flagbearer" or o:"Fox" or o:"Fractal" or o:"Frog" or o:"Fungus" or o:"Gargoyle" or o:"Germ" or o:"Giant" or o:"Gnoll" or o:"Gnome" or o:"Goat" or o:"Goblin" or o:"God" or o:"Golem" or o:"Gorgon" or o:"Graveborn" or o:"Gremlin" or o:"Griffin" or o:"Hag" or o:"Halfling" or o:"Hamster" or o:"Harpy" or o:"Hellion" or o:"Hippo" or o:"Hippogriff" or o:"Homarid" or o:"Homunculus" or o:"Horror" or o:"Horse" or o:"Human" or o:"Hydra" or o:"Hyena" or o:"Illusion" or o:"Imp" or o:"Incarnation" or o:"Inkling" or o:"Insect" or o:"Jackal" or o:"Jellyfish" or o:"Juggernaut" 

o:"Kavu" or o:"Kirin" or o:"Kithkin" or o:"Knight" or o:"Kobold" or o:"Kor" or o:"Kraken" or o:"Lamia" or o:"Lammasu" or o:"Leech" or o:"Leviathan" or o:"Lhurgoyf" or o:"Licid" or o:"Lizard" or o:"Manticore" or o:"Masticore" or o:"Mercenary" or o:"Merfolk" or o:"Metathran" or o:"Minion" or o:"Minotaur" or o:"Mole" or o:"Monger" or o:"Mongoose" or o:"Monk" or o:"Monkey" or o:"Moonfolk" or o:"Mouse" or o:"Mutant" or o:"Myr" or o:"Mystic"or o:"Naga" or o:"Nautilus" or o:"Nephilim" or o:"Nightmare" or o:"Nightstalker" or o:"Ninja" or o:"Noble" or o:"Noggle" or o:"Nomad" or o:"Nymph" or o:"Octopus" or o:"Ogre" or o:"Ooze" or o:"Orb" or o:"Orc" or o:"Orgg" or o:"Otter" or o:"Ouphe" or o:"Ox" or o:"Oyster" 

o:"Pangolin" or o:"Peasant" or o:"Pegasus" or o:"Pentavite" or o:"Pest" or o:"Phelddagrif" or o:"Phoenix" or o:"Phyrexian" or o:"Pilot" or o:"Pincher" or o:"Pirate" or o:"Plant" or o:"Praetor" or o:"Prism" or o:"Processor" or o:"Rabbit" or o:"Ranger" or o:"Rat" or o:"Rebel" or o:"Reflection" or o:"Rhino" or o:"Rigger" or o:"Rogue" or o:"Sable" or o:"Salamander" or o:"Samurai" or o:"Sand" or o:"Saproling" or o:"Satyr" or o:"Scarecrow" or o:"Scion" or o:"Scorpion" or o:"Scout" or o:"Sculpture" or o:"Serf" or o:"Serpent" or o:"Servo" or o:"Shade" or o:"Shaman" or o:"Shapeshifter" or o:"Shark" or o:"Sheep" 

o:"Siren" or o:"Skeleton" or o:"Slith" or o:"Sliver" or o:"Slug" or o:"Snake" or o:"Soldier" or o:"Soltari" or o:"Spawn" or o:"Specter" or o:"Spellshaper" or o:"Sphinx" or o:"Spider" or o:"Spike" or o:"Spirit" or o:"Splinter" or o:"Sponge" or o:"Squid" or o:"Squirrel" or o:"Starfish" or o:"Surrakar" or o:"Survivor" or o:"Tentacle" or o:"Tetravite" or o:"Thalakos" or o:"Thopter" or o:"Thrull" or o:"Tiefling" or o:"Treefolk" or o:"Trilobite" or o:"Triskelavite" or o:"Troll" or o:"Turtle" or o:"Unicorn" or o:"Vampire" or o:"Vedalken" or o:"Viashino" or o:"Volver" or o:"Wall" or o:"Warlock" or o:"Warrior" or o:"Weird" or o:"Werewolf" or o:"Whale" or o:"Wizard" or o:"Wolf" or o:"Wolverine" or o:"Wombat" or o:"Worm" or o:"Wraith" or o:"Wurm" or o:"Yeti" or o:"Zombie" or o:"Zubera
e: Actually wait, crap, I forgot Scryfall doesn't match case by default. You're going to need to dig into regex or searching for "Ally" will get every card with "perpetually" and similar.

Tulul fucked around with this message at 19:24 on Sep 26, 2021

Kjermzs
Sep 15, 2007
Thanks for the feedback, that helps alot!

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

Tulul posted:

As others have said, there's not really a good way to do this. The easiest way is to just take a line (Scryfall has a character limit on its search, so you need to break it up) from the following (every creature type that's mentioned in oracle text) and paste it into a set of parentheses, then add "year>2017 not:reprint" without the quotation marks. You can try looking for phrases common to tribal cards to narrow it down, like o:"you control" or o:"you cast" or what not, but that will miss certain things.

code:
o:"Advisor" or o:"Aetherborn" or o:"Ally" or o:"Angel" or o:"Antelope" or o:"Ape" or o:"Archer" or o:"Archon" or o:"Army" or o:"Artificer" or o:"Assassin" or o:"Assembly-Worker" or o:"Atog" or o:"Aurochs" or o:"Avatar" or o:"Azra" or o:"Badger" or o:"Barbarian" or o:"Bard" or o:"Basilisk" or o:"Bat" or o:"Bear" or o:"Beast" or o:"Beeble" or o:"Beholder" or o:"Berserker" or o:"Bird" or o:"Blinkmoth" or o:"Boar" or o:"Bringer" or o:"Brushwagg" or o:"Camarid" or o:"Camel" or o:"Caribou" or o:"Carrier" or o:"Cat" or o:"Centaur" or o:"Cephalid" or o:"Chimera" or o:"Citizen" or o:"Cleric" or o:"Cockatrice" or o:"Construct" or o:"Coward" or o:"Crab" or o:"Crocodile" or o:"Cyclops" 

o:"Dauthi" or o:"Demigod" or o:"Demon" or o:"Deserter" or o:"Devil" or o:"Dinosaur" or o:"Djinn" or o:"Dog" or o:"Dragon" or o:"Drake" or o:"Dreadnought" or o:"Drone" or o:"Druid" or o:"Dryad" or o:"Dwarf" or o:"Efreet" or o:"Egg" or o:"Elder" or o:"Eldrazi" or o:"Elemental" or o:"Elephant" or o:"Elf" or o:"Elk" or o:"Eye" or o:"Faerie" or o:"Ferret" or o:"Fish" or o:"Flagbearer" or o:"Fox" or o:"Fractal" or o:"Frog" or o:"Fungus" or o:"Gargoyle" or o:"Germ" or o:"Giant" or o:"Gnoll" or o:"Gnome" or o:"Goat" or o:"Goblin" or o:"God" or o:"Golem" or o:"Gorgon" or o:"Graveborn" or o:"Gremlin" or o:"Griffin" or o:"Hag" or o:"Halfling" or o:"Hamster" or o:"Harpy" or o:"Hellion" or o:"Hippo" or o:"Hippogriff" or o:"Homarid" or o:"Homunculus" or o:"Horror" or o:"Horse" or o:"Human" or o:"Hydra" or o:"Hyena" or o:"Illusion" or o:"Imp" or o:"Incarnation" or o:"Inkling" or o:"Insect" or o:"Jackal" or o:"Jellyfish" or o:"Juggernaut" 

o:"Kavu" or o:"Kirin" or o:"Kithkin" or o:"Knight" or o:"Kobold" or o:"Kor" or o:"Kraken" or o:"Lamia" or o:"Lammasu" or o:"Leech" or o:"Leviathan" or o:"Lhurgoyf" or o:"Licid" or o:"Lizard" or o:"Manticore" or o:"Masticore" or o:"Mercenary" or o:"Merfolk" or o:"Metathran" or o:"Minion" or o:"Minotaur" or o:"Mole" or o:"Monger" or o:"Mongoose" or o:"Monk" or o:"Monkey" or o:"Moonfolk" or o:"Mouse" or o:"Mutant" or o:"Myr" or o:"Mystic"or o:"Naga" or o:"Nautilus" or o:"Nephilim" or o:"Nightmare" or o:"Nightstalker" or o:"Ninja" or o:"Noble" or o:"Noggle" or o:"Nomad" or o:"Nymph" or o:"Octopus" or o:"Ogre" or o:"Ooze" or o:"Orb" or o:"Orc" or o:"Orgg" or o:"Otter" or o:"Ouphe" or o:"Ox" or o:"Oyster" 

o:"Pangolin" or o:"Peasant" or o:"Pegasus" or o:"Pentavite" or o:"Pest" or o:"Phelddagrif" or o:"Phoenix" or o:"Phyrexian" or o:"Pilot" or o:"Pincher" or o:"Pirate" or o:"Plant" or o:"Praetor" or o:"Prism" or o:"Processor" or o:"Rabbit" or o:"Ranger" or o:"Rat" or o:"Rebel" or o:"Reflection" or o:"Rhino" or o:"Rigger" or o:"Rogue" or o:"Sable" or o:"Salamander" or o:"Samurai" or o:"Sand" or o:"Saproling" or o:"Satyr" or o:"Scarecrow" or o:"Scion" or o:"Scorpion" or o:"Scout" or o:"Sculpture" or o:"Serf" or o:"Serpent" or o:"Servo" or o:"Shade" or o:"Shaman" or o:"Shapeshifter" or o:"Shark" or o:"Sheep" 

o:"Siren" or o:"Skeleton" or o:"Slith" or o:"Sliver" or o:"Slug" or o:"Snake" or o:"Soldier" or o:"Soltari" or o:"Spawn" or o:"Specter" or o:"Spellshaper" or o:"Sphinx" or o:"Spider" or o:"Spike" or o:"Spirit" or o:"Splinter" or o:"Sponge" or o:"Squid" or o:"Squirrel" or o:"Starfish" or o:"Surrakar" or o:"Survivor" or o:"Tentacle" or o:"Tetravite" or o:"Thalakos" or o:"Thopter" or o:"Thrull" or o:"Tiefling" or o:"Treefolk" or o:"Trilobite" or o:"Triskelavite" or o:"Troll" or o:"Turtle" or o:"Unicorn" or o:"Vampire" or o:"Vedalken" or o:"Viashino" or o:"Volver" or o:"Wall" or o:"Warlock" or o:"Warrior" or o:"Weird" or o:"Werewolf" or o:"Whale" or o:"Wizard" or o:"Wolf" or o:"Wolverine" or o:"Wombat" or o:"Worm" or o:"Wraith" or o:"Wurm" or o:"Yeti" or o:"Zombie" or o:"Zubera
e: Actually wait, crap, I forgot Scryfall doesn't match case by default. You're going to need to dig into regex or searching for "Ally" will get every card with "perpetually" and similar.

Does " ally " preserve the whitespace?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

I've been thoroughly enjoying that UR Turns deck (although I switched my mana around to run Frostbite) and I spent the past like 20 games griping about how bad Divide by Zero was and not understanding why it was in the list over Into the Roil but not wanting to swap it out until I just now two seconds ago realized that it can also target spells lmfao.

The deck seems really good. I like the matchup against all the control decks and the ramp decks (Mind Flayering a Wrenn token feels great) but the RG aggressive decks really take it to me. The stupid jetpack wolf has a huge fat rear end when it's night and the haste effect really gives me headaches. Not sure if I need to adjust my MB/SB or just play differently or just accept that the hasty deck with beefy hasty creatures is strong against a creatureless control deck that can't wrath until t5.

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:16 on Sep 26, 2021

Ultima66
Sep 2, 2008

I'm late on the discussion but it is funny that Vintage evolved to a point where arguably the "meta" decks are not even doing anything you'd consider conventionally broken in the Vintage Magic sense. Shops has always been the most popular non-blue deck, and that deck is entirely built around grinding the game to a halt so the opponent can't actually assemble their broken poo poo. And over the last several years blue decks have tended closer and closer to legacy midrange/control blue decks, with Sultai/Temur Deathrite + Tarmogoyf decks and Jeskai Monastery Mentor + lots of cantrips/counterspells decks being super popular because those decks can answer the broken poo poo and can grind out shops decks effectively by just playing conventional Magic.

If you do want to show what's the dumb actual broken poo poo you can do in Vintage, the best candidates are Paradoxical Outcome and Dredge as mentioned before. If you want an example of decklists the best place is probably go to MTGGoldfish and just find decks that top 8 an MTGO Vintage Challenge or 5-0 a Vintage League, since that's most of what's played now. I would say the level 0 deck to just show off Vintage stupidity is Dredge, as that's probably the most "pure" Vintage archetype. An example is here. Paradoxical Outcome sort of plays into some of the "trimming broken combos because if the opponent is interacting my combo pieces are not useful" that the format overall trends towards. Here is a more "pure" PO deck from a recent challenge, where you'll notice the deck is still playing Time Vault + Key which a lot of PO decks have cut, and is not playing Monastery Mentor which is commonly included as a side way to win when you're not completely going off to the point that your opponent can't do anything any more.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.

fadam posted:

I've been thoroughly enjoying that UR Turns deck (although I switched my mana around to run Frostbite) and I spent the past like 20 games griping about how bad Divide by Zero was and not understanding why it was in the list over Into the Roil but not wanting to swap it out until I just now two seconds ago realized that it can also target spells lmfao.

I guess I never drafted Strixhaven so it was never really relevant but man I only now realized you can discard and draw a card when you Learn instead of pulling a lesson from your sideboard lol.

resistentialism
Aug 13, 2007

Saw a cute deck that was U/B blood on the snow with the draugr 4 drop and lier and divide by zero, which you can of course still use while lier is out.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Ultima66 posted:

I'm late on the discussion but it is funny that Vintage evolved to a point where arguably the "meta" decks are not even doing anything you'd consider conventionally broken in the Vintage Magic sense.

Having played a lot of Vintage, sometimes it's better when you show someone just how strong a "fair" Vintage deck is. Tendrils for 20 can happen in Vintage or Legacy, but only Vintage sees first turns like Mox, Mox, Planeswalker, or Ancestral Recall with FoW and Snapcaster backup.

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
There's not much time left in the Standard Metagame thing on Arena, and I feel like entering (even though it's probably a waste of coins) I have a pretty good Boros Warriors/Equips deck that got me to Mythic in standard ladder, but it's designed for Bo1 and I need to adjust it for Bo3 and actually build a sideboard.

When it comes to Wildcards, I only got 8 Common and 4 Uncommon so I don't have much flexibility for improving with rares/mythics, but any advice is appreciated.

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Crokeyz has been playing Sultai Ramp and honestly the deck looks sick. Just counter / blow up everything and ramp into Storm the Festival hoping to hit a Grafted Identity or a Wrenn

MikeCrotch
Nov 5, 2011

I AM UNJUSTIFIABLY PROUD OF MY SPAGHETTI BOLOGNESE RECIPE

YES, IT IS AN INCREDIBLY SIMPLE DISH

NO, IT IS NOT NORMAL TO USE A PEPPERAMI INSTEAD OF MINCED MEAT

YES, THERE IS TOO MUCH SALT IN MY RECIPE

NO, I WON'T STOP SHARING IT

more like BOLLOCKnese

goferchan posted:

I guess I never drafted Strixhaven so it was never really relevant but man I only now realized you can discard and draw a card when you Learn instead of pulling a lesson from your sideboard lol.

Tbf it came up very rarely then either. Think I did it once in the entire run of the set.

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I've done it about three times in constructed, total.

Plus a fourth time when I wanted to do it, but didn't realize you had to click the button on the left side to show your hand instead of just hitting "Decline" while looking at your learnboard.

Kull the Conqueror
Apr 8, 2006

Take me to the green valley,
lay the sod o'er me,
I'm a young cowboy,
I know I've done wrong

Onmi posted:

There's not much time left in the Standard Metagame thing on Arena, and I feel like entering (even though it's probably a waste of coins) I have a pretty good Boros Warriors/Equips deck that got me to Mythic in standard ladder, but it's designed for Bo1 and I need to adjust it for Bo3 and actually build a sideboard.

When it comes to Wildcards, I only got 8 Common and 4 Uncommon so I don't have much flexibility for improving with rares/mythics, but any advice is appreciated.

I run something similar sans Warrior synergy and I'd think about Reidane, Burning Hands, Guardian of Faith (or maybe Glorious Protector), Rip Apart, and possibly Akiri for your SB.

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

1. With Croaking Counterpart, I can copy a Jadar, Ghoulcaller without getting hit by the Legendary Creature rule, right?
2. If the above is true, do I get 2 2/2 decayed zombies at the beginning of my endstep?

nvm, got told it copies the legendary from the name so probably can't copy a legendary.

Strong Sauce fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Sep 27, 2021

AngryBooch
Sep 26, 2009

Strong Sauce posted:

1. With Croaking Counterpart, I can copy a Jadar, Ghoulcaller without getting hit by the Legendary Creature rule, right?
2. If the above is true, do I get 2 2/2 decayed zombies at the beginning of my endstep?

The copy will be Legendary so it will get hit with the rule.

edit: I always remember this because there are copy cards that specify the copy is Non-legendary to get around this rule like Spark Double.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

Strong Sauce posted:

1 no, it's still Legendary and the copy has the same name

2 also no. the ability checks when it tries to go on the stack and when it would resolve (see "intervening if") and if either gives a false result, nothing happens

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Strong Sauce posted:

1. Pretty sure you get a 1/1 frog with the same name as jadar, so you can only keep one.

2. if you got 2 of them with spark double, first one would go off get the token, second one sees a decayed token and then doesnt give you one.

hey mom its 420
May 12, 2007

:froggonk:

thetoughestbean
Apr 27, 2013

Keep On Shroomin

So what are the odds “Director of Game Design” just means he consulted on AFR vs it meaning he actually helps make MtG cards in general?

For the folks not in the know, Mearls has some serious baggage better asked about in the general industry thread.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan
Mike Mearls made Magic Missle cost three mana? :argh:

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

thetoughestbean posted:

So what are the odds “Director of Game Design” just means he consulted on AFR vs it meaning he actually helps make MtG cards in general?

For the folks not in the know, Mearls has some serious baggage better asked about in the general industry thread.

I assume it's like VP where you have a room full of directors and the all compare their playtest cards and he's the one with the tasteful Bone Shards

Froghammer
Sep 8, 2012

Khajit has wares
if you have coin
Game designers and game design companies have middle-managers that fail upwards same as any other industry. There's a general director who sets the tone and framework of what he wants to get done, and he has people that work for him find a way to get it done. Sometimes he gets his hands dirty in the playtesting, sometimes he doesn't.

That's business structure under capitalism.

Lieutenant Centaur
Oct 17, 2010

A soldier will fight long and hard for a bit of colored ribbon
Is there any budget friendly/fun modern decks out there that you can show up to FNM and not go 0-4 with?

Our shop is opening up and only doing Modern FNM's for now and as someone who doesn't follow the format is it even worth shelling out $100/$150 just to have something fun to play?

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

Lieutenant Centaur posted:

Is there any budget friendly/fun modern decks out there that you can show up to FNM and not go 0-4 with?

Our shop is opening up and only doing Modern FNM's for now and as someone who doesn't follow the format is it even worth shelling out $100/$150 just to have something fun to play?

Paper magic is always a good time even if you 0-4!

Like most MTG formats it's definitely pay-to-win, but I've heard good things about the budget decks on Goldfish:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper

I wouldn't take any of these to a MTGO Challenge or whatever, but if you're just messing around at your LGS and don't want to spend a ton of money these will probably do you alright.

Goa Tse-tung
Feb 11, 2008

;3

Yams Fan

edit oh modern lol no idea

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
This is going to heavily depend on how competitive your local store is, and what you have as a foundation to build off. I haven't played Modern since MH1 killed the format (and never got back into it after Wizards banned the worst offenders, because I really don't like that that's how they're choosing to shape the format), but before that I was able to have fun and competitive games at my local with various "old standard cards plus some cheap additions" decks. Keeping in mind that those "old standard cards" were from RTR-through-Khans so I had fetchlands + shocklands + Collected Company all ready to go.

I guess Burn is about $150 if you don't look at the manabase, lol. The real pushed cards from Horizons sets are stupid expensive though.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

fadam posted:

Paper magic is always a good time even if you 0-4!

Like most MTG formats it's definitely pay-to-win, but I've heard good things about the budget decks on Goldfish:
https://www.mtggoldfish.com/decks/budget/modern#paper

I wouldn't take any of these to a MTGO Challenge or whatever, but if you're just messing around at your LGS and don't want to spend a ton of money these will probably do you alright.

My favourite part about almost all these decks is that they're "budget" but still require you to pay $30+ on some goofball card that's completely unplayable in the rest of the format.

Chakan
Mar 30, 2011
12 whack is a pretty difficult but very rewarding deck to pilot, and it's not too expensive. Especially at an FNM you're liable to get a few wins with it. Likewise, throwing 7 lightning bolts at an their face will win you the game a surprising number of times if burn sounds fun. Most decks that aren't trying to play an aggro plan end up floundering against better decks because you're paying an extra 1 mana for a counterspell (instead of :10bux:) and it ends up punishing you or whatever. So I guess my advice is to find an aggro strategy that you like and try it out, mono-colored if possible to save money on the mana base.

ilmucche
Mar 16, 2016

What did you say the strategy was?
Rhythm of the wild stompy. It's like gruul midrange but without the op cards and with a bunch of fun poo poo instead. It gets around the problem of etb value by giving all your creatures riot!

Yoked
Apr 3, 2007

I don't know what you would consider budget, but Affinity only requires Urza's Saga as the expensive card. Shadowspear is not required, but obviously will improve your more aggressive match ups. The rest you could build without too much more investment. Here is a list I'm currently on that has been a ton of fun for paper play: https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/4245151#online.

Maybe not what you're looking for, but this deck can be competitive and does not require much investment beyond Saga.

Edit: I should probably add that it is absolutely not worth building without Saga in the long run. You can still win with Cranial Plating, and Thought Monitor is an amazing card from MH2, but Saga gives you such an advantage that is not replicated in any way.

I found Memnites for $3/each fairly recent, so those should be cheaper than $7 if you look around. The other cards that are >$5 can be subbed if you really want to keep the budget low, but I'm really liking this version of the deck.

Yoked fucked around with this message at 18:42 on Sep 28, 2021

Salvor_Hardin
Sep 13, 2005

I want to go protest.
Nap Ghost

HootTheOwl posted:

I assume it's like VP where you have a room full of directors and the all compare their playtest cards and he's the one with the tasteful Bone Shards

This was a good joke.

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Gifts Storm is pretty cheap too. You can skimp on the mana base and make it even cheaper.

Koirhor
Jan 14, 2008

by Fluffdaddy

Do you enjoy playing burn?

teppichporsche
May 11, 2019

Lone Goat posted:

My favourite part about almost all these decks is that they're "budget" but still require you to pay $30+ on some goofball card that's completely unplayable in the rest of the format.

please elaborate

fadam
Apr 23, 2008

teppichporsche posted:

please elaborate

80 bucks of Ragavan is worth more than 80 bucks of jank. LG is right, but I don't see anything overly egregious in the first few decks. It's worse on Arena where an all-star like Goldspan Dragon technically costs the same as like Sunstreak Phoenix or whatever so you're really punished for buying suboptimal cards for fun/janky decks.

EDIT: why the hell is Legion Loyalist a $7 card lmao

fadam fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Sep 28, 2021

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

fadam posted:

It briefly was good in pioneer and probably just set a new price floor.

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

fadam posted:

it seems like covid bucks at least doubled the price of every MTG card in existence

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Klowner
Apr 20, 2019

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Lmao at his phrasing