Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GoatSeeGuy
Dec 26, 2003

What if Jerome Walton made me a champion?

Henrik Zetterberg posted:

:lol: my launch 6 is at 87%

:sigh: I’m battery cursed

That would put you around 600ish charge cycles, yikes. Do you have optimized charging on? How many times a day are you running that battery down?

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Was Henrik the one with some weird massive battery issue for like...years and over multiple watches? And I want to say they posted about finally figuring it out recently but can't find the post.

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

My series 5 I got back in March 2020 is at 86%

Bizarro Kanyon
Jan 3, 2007

Something Awful, so easy even a spaceman can do it!

My S5 I got back in June 2020 is at 91%

Yeast
Dec 25, 2006

$1900 Grande Latte

illcendiary posted:

Edit: never mind, there is one from Apple. Jesus though, $349 😰

They do exist, but mainly for the larger watch unfortunately.

The one from Apple is expensive, but also extremely good, annoyingly. I’ve been eyeing one off for literally 5 years

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

japtor posted:

What do you mean by no link style?

Maybe that was poorly worded. I meant to say “a link-style bracelet for 38/40/41 doesn’t seem to exist” but as I edited the post to say, that’s incorrect. It’s just that the Apple link bracelet is expensive. Nomad for instance has a steel link bracelet for $150, but it’s only for the larger watches.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

I bought some random one on Amazon a while ago after searching for a bit. The listing doesn’t even exist anymore which is fun… wonder if the seller got banned.

This random listing I was recommended does have some for the smaller watch:

Surace Stainless Steel Link Bracelet Replacement for Apple Watch Bands 38mm with Butterfly Folding Clasp Compatible with Apple Watch Bands Series 6 Series 5 Series 4 40mm SE Band, Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MGSNDNQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7XH0HR6605CT8SB5XZ30?psc=1

Henrik Zetterberg
Dec 7, 2007

GoatSeeGuy posted:

That would put you around 600ish charge cycles, yikes. Do you have optimized charging on? How many times a day are you running that battery down?

https://www.apple.com/batteries/service-and-recycling/

Yep, optimizer charging has always been on. I generally have average use throughout the day, typically with an hour workout, either HIIT or Outside Run. If I don’t charge it around 5pm it’ll usually go into low power mode around 10pm. It’s a pretty far cry from what apple states on their website.

japtor posted:

Was Henrik the one with some weird massive battery issue for like...years and over multiple watches? And I want to say they posted about finally figuring it out recently but can't find the post.

I had a cursed 5 that apple sent back to me 3 times. I was that guy. I probably have 13 pages in this thread bitching about my battery. It never got fixed.

Henrik Zetterberg fucked around with this message at 23:17 on Sep 25, 2021

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

My not-quite-launch S4 is at 79%. I'm just holding out for the S7 at this point.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

smackfu posted:

I bought some random one on Amazon a while ago after searching for a bit. The listing doesn’t even exist anymore which is fun… wonder if the seller got banned.

This random listing I was recommended does have some for the smaller watch:

Surace Stainless Steel Link Bracelet Replacement for Apple Watch Bands 38mm with Butterfly Folding Clasp Compatible with Apple Watch Bands Series 6 Series 5 Series 4 40mm SE Band, Black https://smile.amazon.com/dp/B07MGSNDNQ/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_glt_fabc_7XH0HR6605CT8SB5XZ30?psc=1

Just be aware that those bands are made from relatively soft steel. They scratch and scuff like crazy if you even look at them funny. My experience with the black bands has been wearing away of the black coat to the shiny metal below over time.

For day to day don't give a poo poo bands, these are a fantastic deal.

Jose Oquendo
Jun 20, 2004

Star Trek: The Motion Picture is a boring movie
The Apple stainless steel space gray link band has some coating or treatment on it that makes it super tough and durable. I have one from my launch series 0 and it still looks great. You have to look really hard to see any signs of wear.

Proteus Jones
Feb 28, 2013

Jose Oquendo posted:

The Apple stainless steel space gray link band has some coating or treatment on it that makes it super tough and durable. I have one from my launch series 0 and it still looks great. You have to look really hard to see any signs of wear.

Yeah, sorry that's what I was trying to say. I didn't mean *all* bands are made of trash steel. The cheap bands are cheap for a reason.

That said, I still think Apple bands are wildly overpriced. The Nomad bands are right on the edge of what I'd consider an acceptable price for a high quality link band.

P0PCULTUREREFERENCE
Apr 10, 2009

Your weapons are useless against me!
Fun Shoe

god this blows posted:

I had it happen a couple of times with the automated messages for bill pays so I didn’t look like a fool but I too am having this issue.

Thanks. At least I know I’m not crazy!

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

ended up going with the SE for a number of reasons but I really like it so far!

thanks to those who advised on the solo braided loop sizing. I went down a size and it fits perfectly. I don't know if I have it in me to drop $100 on another one by itself, but it feels and looks great at the outset.

Is there any way to tell the watch I'm doing a rest day? I'm not expecting, like, a penalty for not closing my rings but I'd love it if there was even a way to earmark a day for future reference so I just know "oh right, I was just really sore that day and felt a bit run down" when I'm looking at the logs in the future.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

No way to designate rest days or even like "I'm sick and not moving a whole lot please don't break my streak," which is a bit annoying.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

That's always struck me as a big flaw of the watch, as rest days are pretty important when it comes to actually improving your physique. A body needs time to chill and grow some muscle.

I guess the upside is that an outdoor walk or yoga can be used to fill up the exercise ring, which is relatively restful but if you have a high move goal that is a lot of walking.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Yeah, I think that's the idea, particularly given that it will tell you you have to take a brisk walk of x minutes to hit your goal.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

I guess I get that logic.

But yeah, what with so many people who've experienced being full-blown bedridden since the pandemic (and those are the lucky ones!), you think they would have at least added something you can toggle just to say you couldn't work out that day and not have it be some thing where it's trying to motivate you still.

kefkafloyd
Jun 8, 2006

What really knocked me out
Was her cheap sunglasses

Endless Mike posted:

No way to designate rest days or even like "I'm sick and not moving a whole lot please don't break my streak," which is a bit annoying.

If I want a rest day, I cheese it by setting the sit/stand/exercise goals to the minimum and doing a "mind and body" workout.

I shouldn't have to do this—rest days/sick time should be part of the routine—but it's the best workaround I know of.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Yeah the ever upward scaling move goals is pretty bad design tbh.

It could scale up but you only need 5 days to hit the streak. 7 is a bit much when you are breaking 1k+ a day.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

MarcusSA posted:

Yeah the ever upward scaling move goals is pretty bad design tbh.

Apple really likes the scaling goals. My September Challenge badge requires 2,780 exercise minutes and I'm barely going to hit that. Half of the time I see what the challenge is and just nope out of it.

MarcusSA
Sep 23, 2007

Zerot posted:

Apple really likes the scaling goals. My September Challenge badge requires 2,780 exercise minutes and I'm barely going to hit that. Half of the time I see what the challenge is and just nope out of it.

Yeah that’s 90 min of exercise a day.

That’s a bit much.

xzzy
Mar 5, 2009

I've said it before, but the escalating goals on the watch is evidence of Tim's secret mission to develop an army of super soldiers. When the time comes to activate the new world order, he's gonna send the magic frequency through our airpods and use us to conquer the world.

150 minutes of exercise per week is enough to gain most of the positive benefits of activity. ~700 minutes a week is some gladiator poo poo.

Vintimus Prime
Apr 24, 2008

DERRRRRPPP what are picture threads for????

kefkafloyd posted:

If I want a rest day, I cheese it by setting the sit/stand/exercise goals to the minimum and doing a "mind and body" workout.

I shouldn't have to do this—rest days/sick time should be part of the routine—but it's the best workaround I know of.

Yea it's something long requested too. Give us the option for rest days Apple

realbez
Mar 23, 2005

Fun Shoe
Ignore the watch it’s just a watch it can’t make you do anything.

I’m disappointed by the way it insists on you moving everyday and the way it escalates things, too. I thought I’d use it to encourage me but it’s just annoying and unrealistic. I use it to track my heart during workouts now basically and ignore all the other stuff as a result.

realbez fucked around with this message at 00:23 on Sep 29, 2021

Jazz Marimba
Jan 4, 2012

xzzy posted:

150 minutes of exercise per week is enough to gain most of the positive benefits of activity. ~700 minutes a week is some gladiator poo poo.

glad to know biking 1-2hrs/day is putting me almost in gladiator territory :hist101:

Zwille
Aug 18, 2006

* For the Ghost Who Walks Funny

Jazz Marimba posted:

glad to know biking 1-2hrs/day is putting me almost in gladiator territory :hist101:

Yeah same, 1 hour exercise is my minimum lol

E: my September goal is 3.800 minutes, I have 3.251 minutes done, maybe I’ll make it :v:

Zwille fucked around with this message at 07:51 on Sep 29, 2021

Literally Lewis Hamilton
Feb 22, 2005

Tim, please

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Yeah I have the stand goals turned off for my watch.

Honestly, the watch is still great on getting me to workout (overall), but I go days without wearing it. I work 10 hour days (4 days a week) and it’s at a desk all day, and it’s just not comfortable for me personally to wear the watch while typing all day. So I’ll wear it for my morning workout and for if I take a walk, but if I am feeling lazy (like this last week or so) I skip it and don’t wear the watch at all.

chibi luda
Apr 17, 2013

you're all weak

I could be dying of hand foot and mouth disease and I will still make time to get up and do 20 minute HIIT with Jamie-Ray (Hip-Hop/R&B anthems, of course) on Fitness+

I will say "yes, Mr. Cook" when the move goal goes up

I will make Tim happy. I will not fail him

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Goth Odell Beckham posted:

you're all weak

I could be dying of hand foot and mouth disease and I will still make time to get up and do 20 minute HIIT with Jamie-Ray (Hip-Hop/R&B anthems, of course) on Fitness+

I will say "yes, Mr. Cook" when the move goal goes up

I will make Tim happy. I will not fail him

Look at this wimp only doing Jamie-Ray workouts and not Bakari lmao

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

You’re all making Molly sad.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Really, REALLY hating the new bug/feature where AOD doesn’t fuckin’… update the fuckin’ time?

I looked at my watch while sleeping last night and was like “cool, alarm doesn’t go off for an hour and a half yet!” and five minutes later the alarm went off and I was like what the gently caress and when I tapped the screen to shut the alarm off the dials updated to the right time.

That’s only been an issue since upgrading to watchOS8. Is anybody else seeing this annoying poo poo?

Also hate how now tapping on the active/inactive pill on an alarm takes me to Alarm Edit 90% of the time instead of just turning the fucker on or off, accordingly. That worked perfectly before wos8 as well.

wtf.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer
Oh, are we talking about our favorite apple instructors ?

Dustin is by far my favorite. Winning smile, clear on stuff, and usually has pretty good flows.

Jonelle is also a great add, and her “we keep moving” mantra is good.

For Hit I like Kim, but I have to do more hit and strength to re evaluate which ones.

Zerot
Aug 18, 2006

smr posted:

Is anybody else seeing this annoying poo poo?

I just confirmed that my Series 5 is updating the time when AOD is turned on. Have you rebooted or restored your watch recently?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Dustin is really good! I haven't gotten to any Jonelle ones yet (she showed up right as I broke my collar bone). For strength, Sam and Greg are usually my favorites. Sam really likes weird combo things which are fun.

smr
Dec 18, 2002

Zerot posted:

I just confirmed that my Series 5 is updating the time when AOD is turned on. Have you rebooted or restored your watch recently?

No, I just let it do whatever it wanted when watchOS8 dropped. I will try rebooting it now. Mine’s a Series 6, not sure if that makes a difference.

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Dustin is a goober.

sonatinas
Apr 15, 2003

Seattle Karate Vs. L.A. Karate

njsykora posted:

You’re all making Molly sad.

molly has gotten better. her first videos were just weird like talking about bbq while return of the mack was playing and such.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

smr
Dec 18, 2002

smr posted:

No, I just let it do whatever it wanted when watchOS8 dropped. I will try rebooting it now. Mine’s a Series 6, not sure if that makes a difference.

Rebooting (not something I’ve ever done with an Apple Watch before) seems to have fixed the AOD issues so yay.