Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: ZShakespeare)

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 3 days!)

apatheticman posted:

I swear some interactions with small town Alberta are just pranks. Like how can a 5 minute interaction so consistently summarize a town.

It's just gotta be a prank and some sort of montage they play for themselves.

I thought Red Deer was summarized by the sound of pissing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

pokeyman
Nov 26, 2006

That elephant ate my entire platoon.

Starks posted:

apparently there are around 1000 Canadians in U.S. jails.

Speaking of inhumane conditions that are an ostensible affront to Canadian values…

Albino Squirrel
Apr 25, 2003

Miosis more like meiosis
Alberta trip report:

https://twitter.com/cspotweet/status/1442606010892369920?s=20

I don't recall at any point Alberta hitting >173 ICU patients prior to the pandemic. We're actually pretty good at keeping people out of the ICU. Despite what certain MLAs from Parkland County say, we shouldn't have 1000 ICU beds, because we don't usually need them.

https://twitter.com/TheRealKeean/status/1442224677036781573
This is the latest right wing talking point. First off, it is nothing short of miraculous that Alberta Health Services has managed to double ICU capacity - it takes SO MANY loving PEOPLE to run an ICU, and apparently 'not recognizing this' is the latest trend. Second, managing a public company that runs something like a fifth of the GDP of Alberta is a big job and frankly half a mil a year isn't even in the same atmosphere as private sector compensation for comparable workloads. Third, Verna Yiu is honestly one of the nicest people I've ever met (~20 years ago she was the person giving career advice to med students at U of A, and was a calm and compassionate force in keeping myself and my colleagues sane through the last couple of years of med school). Not that that affects her level of competence, but I'm somewhat personally offended when she gets to be the right-wing pinata of the week.

https://twitter.com/peachpear/status/1442608980610535429?s=20
Hey, that's my kids' school! Went from 2 to 10 to 31 to now 69 cases over the course of a week. They shut it down as of last Friday for 2 weeks, looking forward to the kids going back to school just in time for the whole provincial education system to get shut down for 2 more weeks after Thanksgiving. I swear I'm gonna punch the next person who tells me that COVID doesn't spread in schools.

https://twitter.com/drdagly/status/1442332435534913542?s=20
Hey, Darren Markland is a great doctor and writes about the experience of critical care medicine better than the vast majority of physicians. It's much more affecting than anything I could possibly come up with. (It's a worthwhile thread to read).

I'm personally more worried about how Alberta's health care system gets out of this mess. I don't see numbers in the ICU decreasing for a month or more, and we're poaching staff from every other department to keep people alive at the moment. There are no surgeries unless you will die without it in the next three days (or if you don't need a hospital bed afterwards). I've been throwing my usual number of referrals at specialty services because people still get sick, but I don't know when the woman I diagnosed with breast cancer this weekend is gonna get her surgery. I don't know when the patient who has a likely recurrence of her sinus cancer is gonna get chemo. I don't know when the patient I have who's been waiting for a knee replacement for four years is gonna stop being in pain - she's been at the 'top of the list' since about 2 months prior to the pandemic but she needs an ICU bed post-operatively and uhhhhh those haven't been available for a while now.

This is all to say nothing of all the staff who will burn out and quit once this wave of the pandemic is over. There's so much delayed vacation time and personal leave and mental health care. We all have, theoretically, months of break that we never took that's piling up, but it's not like everyone can gently caress off at once when the hospitals empty out. We'll have years of catching up to the deferred care from the pandemic and dealing with the inevitable hospitalization and death from people that should've been treated promptly but we couldn't because the hospital was full.

Albino Squirrel fucked around with this message at 06:21 on Sep 28, 2021

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

The thing I really want to know is if there's actually increased vaccine uptake.

The caseload map of the province is downright ridiculous too, a lot of the rural health districts have absolute case numbers comparable to the massively more populous urban health districts. Meanwhile there's no shortage of newspaper articles about the rural folks willing to tell the media that covid just doesn't affect them.

Peaceful Anarchy
Sep 18, 2005
sXe
I am the math man.

PittTheElder posted:

The thing I really want to know is if there's actually increased vaccine uptake.
This seems to indicate that yes, there is. The incentive did nothing, but the vaccine (not a) passport did.
https://covid19tracker.ca/provincevac.html?p=AB

Joink
Jan 8, 2004

What if I told you cod is no longer a fish :coolfish:
Only thing keeping ICUs in Alberta from total failure here is the daily discharge rate(deaths) is equal to the daily admitting rate.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

pokeyman posted:

Speaking of inhumane conditions that are an ostensible affront to Canadian values…

We are not discussing "coconut on Nanaimo bars" here again.

Orthanc6
Nov 4, 2009

Joink posted:

Only thing keeping ICUs in Alberta from total failure here is the daily discharge rate(deaths) is equal to the daily admitting rate.

The selfish mindset that leads people to distrust literally everyone except some crackpot snake-oil salesman on the internet and act and vote only for their own comfort and self-interest needed to disappear. I was hoping some sort of crisis like this would have forced them to see the error of their ways. But if instead it just straight up eliminates a substantial chunk of them, well with our current laws and national morals there was nothing more we could do to help them.

We need vaccines to be mandatory sometime sooner rather than later. We simply can't afford to leave it in the moral grey-zone going forward. The Spanish flu burnt itself out after a few years without any vaccines, so we know this will end one way or another. But we will not survive as a nation if we let this kind of selfishness persist. I know it explodes the brains of some people but vaccination is the necessary exception to personal medical rights, it just has to be.

Hamelekim
Feb 25, 2006

And another thing... if global warming is real. How come it's so damn cold?
Ramrod XTreme
China is a bad country and you shouldn’t support anything they do.

For any bad that western democracies do China and Russia are 100 times worse. You’d be in jail for saying the things you say.

They hate democracy and will ship you to a concentration camp in a heartbeat for any public disagreement with the government.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

Orthanc6 posted:

The selfish mindset that leads people to distrust literally everyone except some crackpot snake-oil salesman on the internet and act and vote only for their own comfort and self-interest needed to disappear. I was hoping some sort of crisis like this would have forced them to see the error of their ways. But if instead it just straight up eliminates a substantial chunk of them, well with our current laws and national morals there was nothing more we could do to help them.

We need vaccines to be mandatory sometime sooner rather than later. We simply can't afford to leave it in the moral grey-zone going forward. The Spanish flu burnt itself out after a few years without any vaccines, so we know this will end one way or another. But we will not survive as a nation if we let this kind of selfishness persist. I know it explodes the brains of some people but vaccination is the necessary exception to personal medical rights, it just has to be.

The problem is that we have allowed political cults and foreign psy-ops to exist unabated. People are 100% convinced the vaccine makes you sterile and contains mind controlling microchips because we were too complacent to pop their bubbles before they were fully radicalized. We know they are part of Facebook groups created by Russian troll farms that are intentionally fed misinformation by Facebook to drive engagement and instead of stepping in before they protest and blockade hospitals, we write sob stories about their “vaccine hesitancy” as if their fears organically grew and are supposed to pity their half assed exclusion from the community.

gently caress that.

At this point, an adult attempting to participate in society unvaccinated is the equivalent to drunk driving. You’re going to kill someone. You’re going to give a child potentially life long physical or psychological issues. There are so many doing it that our healthcare system is nearing failure trying to save them all and we are accepting an editable PDF that says “I’m not drunk” as a drivers license.

Of course on top of it all we chose the perfect time to elect the most psychotically selfish man children and Christian death cultists to lead us through this mess. The majority of Albertans want Kenney out because he is too politically extreme. Our only hope is mutiny from his party who think he is not extreme enough and a complete collapse from infighting while choosing a new leader. Unfortunately but unsurprisingly they’re all cowards as well, who would be ruling from their Hawaiian vacation homes right now if they could to avoid entirely the consequences of their decisions.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

I am definitely not a tankie.

Hamelekim posted:

For any bad that western democracies do China and Russia are 100 times worse. You’d be in jail for saying the things you say.

They hate democracy and will ship you to a concentration camp in a heartbeat for any public disagreement with the government.

rofl good one

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

I have been saying for a while now that conservatives and the people who vote for them are an existential threat to the human race, and Alberta just keeps confirming that.

Also lol tankies gently caress off.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Uyghurs situation in Xinjiang? Just a police action, do not fret. Not ongoing genocide like in EVIL Canada.

Mad Hamish posted:

I have been saying for a while now that conservatives and the people who vote for them are an existential threat to the human race, and Alberta just keeps confirming that.

Also lol tankies gently caress off.

rofl pathetic

Tighclops
Jan 23, 2008

Unable to deal with it

Grimey Drawer
China hates freedom and you, personally. China will abduct you in one of their warbirds. China will eat your baby.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

Medals only weigh one down.

what are you even doing here my dude

Rockstar Massacre
Mar 2, 2009

i only have a crazy life
because i make risky decisions
from a position of
unreasonable self-confidence
China's atrocities just don't have the personal touch of trying to exterminate my forebearers and marginalize and oppress my cousins that Canada's does. I'm sure I'd feel differently if I lived in Tibet, but there it is.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.

Hamelekim posted:

Just because other people are being idiots about China doesn't mean that you have to ramp it up too.
A kid doing their first social studies class would be able to generate more nuance than this.

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

what are you even doing here my dude

Trying desperately to get Canadians to have modicum of self awareness as we trundle along into the next phase of confrontation, as the aggressor.

North Americans in general are all totally deluded about the actual nature of the empire we sit at the center of. We are the fascist super state. We are the ones whose agents pillage the world for our oligarchy. But without pausing for a moment progressives will declare China or Russia Authoritarian hell holes, never once investigating the actual facts, context or history of either side.

What are you doing here? Here to jack off to the glorious history of the 'true north strong and free?' A lot of otherwise 'progressive' folk seem okay with discussing the skeletons of our history and imperial nature, but as soon as that fact is presented as a reason maybe we shouldn't attempt to police the world or casts stones, now thats unacceptable, how will we malign the perfidious celestials? Otherwise we'd have to focus on fixing ourselves, wouldn't we?

The endless refrain of 'you can do two things' will come and, respectfully, you can't. Your focus is limited, as is the nation's at large. Rhetorical focus on the imagined monstrosities of the east serve directly to weaken any focus or criticism of our system, because then we don't seem so bad, so really why worry about it.

The coddled privilege of the bourgeois to displace the problem to a nebulous generality, so nothing we do ever has to actually be challenged.

McGavin
Sep 18, 2012

Ron Paul Atreides posted:

Trying desperately to get Canadians to have modicum of self awareness as we trundle along into the next phase of confrontation, as the aggressor.

North Americans in general are all totally deluded about the actual nature of the empire we sit at the center of. We are the fascist super state. We are the ones whose agents pillage the world for our oligarchy. But without pausing for a moment progressives will declare China or Russia Authoritarian hell holes, never once investigating the actual facts, context or history of either side.

What are you doing here? Here to jack off to the glorious history of the 'true north strong and free?' A lot of otherwise 'progressive' folk seem okay with discussing the skeletons of our history and imperial nature, but as soon as that fact is presented as a reason maybe we shouldn't attempt to police the world or casts stones, now thats unacceptable, how will we malign the perfidious celestials? Otherwise we'd have to focus on fixing ourselves, wouldn't we?

The endless refrain of 'you can do two things' will come and, respectfully, you can't. Your focus is limited, as is the nation's at large. Rhetorical focus on the imagined monstrosities of the east serve directly to weaken any focus or criticism of our system, because then we don't seem so bad, so really why worry about it.

The coddled privilege of the bourgeois to displace the problem to a nebulous generality, so nothing we do ever has to actually be challenged.

:ok:

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

The last few pages of this thread are almost making me miss Cultural Imperial posting, and they're the only poster I ever blocked.

But in CHYNAtalk, get ready for some real fun at Christmas if you're trying to buy mass produced goods from overseas! Supply chains are utterly turbo hosed, shipping costs are anywhere from 5-10x normal. Sea containers are unavailable, and so are spots on ships.

If you're going to feed the corpse of capitalism, do it local this year if you're able to.

Kraftwerk
Aug 13, 2011
i do not have 10,000 bircoins, please stop asking

I’ll simplify this. An external enemy or competing superpower makes it easy to forget your internal problems and can unite a country like nothing else.

Every time western countries gently caress with Iran for example it ends most of their internal dissent and unifies Iranians behind their government in the face of an external threat.

In broad terms though I don’t like the way the Chinese use the powers of a centralized state to micromanage the lives of their citizens and I prefer the cultural influences of western countries vs China because I identify with them more so between two oppressors I’ll pick the one that most resembles me culturally.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

your goal would probably be better served somewhere other than a thread that has like 20 regular readers, seems like a waste of your time relative to the magnitude of your objective. me personally, i'm here to learn news about canadian politics, not sure what all that poo poo you're projecting is about.

Rust Martialis
May 8, 2007

by Fluffdaddy

Muscle Tracer posted:

not sure what all that poo poo you're projecting is about.

:shrek:

Basically the argument is because Canada conducted genocide against the native population, posters cannot criticize another nation for genocide, even if the poster opposes Canada's actions.

Think of it as Original Sin with Chinese Characteristics.

Rust Martialis fucked around with this message at 14:49 on Sep 28, 2021

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Rust Martialis posted:

:shrek:

Basically the argument is because Canada conducted genocide against the native population, posters cannot criticize another nation for genocide, even if the poster opposes Canada's actions.

Think of it as Original Sin with Chinese Characteristics.

is still conducting genocide. And is still murdering people abroad, and employing child slaves, and destabilizing governments.

This isn't our past. It's our present and foreseeable future. We have not changed. We've just put a coat of paint over it.

it literally doesn't matter where I post this, but my catharsis comes from throwing this in the face of those who spout off about the perceived sins of enemies they've never actually bothered to investigate.

It makes me feel good to tell you assholes to look in a loving mirror.

Ron Paul Atreides fucked around with this message at 14:57 on Sep 28, 2021

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

Glad to see casual denial of the currently-happening Xinjiang genocide here in the less-insane side of SA political discussion.

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Kraftwerk posted:

In broad terms though I don’t like the way the Chinese use the powers of a centralized state to micromanage the lives of their citizens and I prefer the cultural influences of western countries vs China because I identify with them more so between two oppressors I’ll pick the one that most resembles me culturally.

Lmao you’re not supposed to say that out loud

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Mad Hamish posted:

Glad to see casual denial of the currently-happening Xinjiang genocide here in the less-insane side of SA political discussion.

yeah, predictable garbage from the casual user of 'Tankie'.

Muscle Tracer
Feb 23, 2007

is still conducting genocide. And is still murdering people abroad, and employing child slaves, and destabilizing governments.

This isn't our past. It's our present and foreseeable future. We have not changed. We've just put a coat of paint over it.

it literally doesn't matter where I post this, but my catharsis comes from throwing this in the face of those who spout off about the perceived sins of enemies they've never actually bothered to investigate.

It makes me feel good to tell you assholes to look in a loving mirror.

Ah, I see the disconnect here. You're looking for this thread. Happy to have helped, see ya!

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

Muscle Tracer posted:

Ah, I see the disconnect here. You're looking for this thread. Happy to have helped, see ya!

oh I'm aware of it. I'm here to ruin your day

Starks
Sep 24, 2006

Mad Hamish posted:

Writing stuff like this and not quoting the post you’re talking about should be an instant ban imo

You can believe that the genocide is happening and still not want Cold War 2, especially if you realize that the countries that will actually suffer from all this hysteria aren’t the US or China. Like what the gently caress is war criminal John Bolton doing on CBC!?

sleep with the vicious
Apr 2, 2010
I enjoy when Canadians turn their Huawei rage internally and blame the perfidious Chinese for nortels massive failings

Also massive thanks to the AB doctor poster Albino Squirrel...the province is failing you but many of us appreciate everything you do. That was a great post above on this page.

infernal machines
Oct 11, 2012

we monitor many frequencies. we listen always. came a voice, out of the babel of tongues, speaking to us. it played us a mighty dub.

Starks posted:

Writing stuff like this and not quoting the post you’re talking about should be an instant ban imo

You can believe that the genocide is happening and still not want Cold War 2, especially if you realize that the countries that will actually suffer from all this hysteria aren’t the US or China. Like what the gently caress is war criminal John Bolton doing on CBC!?

If John Bolton's lips are moving, it's generally good practice to be deeply skeptical of everything coming out of his mouth, regardless of how it aligns with your personal opinions. That guy has a long and storied history you can very easily look up if you care even a little bit. When he starts talking it's because there's an outcome in mind, and it's not difficult to figure out what that is.

The CBC giving him airtime is disappointing, but not surprising.

infernal machines fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Sep 28, 2021

MA-Horus
Dec 3, 2006

I'm sorry, I can't hear you over the sound of how awesome I am.

John Bolton has as much right to have his voice heard as The Baron Black of Crossharbour does

None

Cast them both into the ocean along with the car batteries.

CommieGIR
Aug 22, 2006

The blue glow is a feature, not a bug

Pillbug
If a genocide happens in a forest and nobody can hear it because its in Canada, was it China?

There's enough genocide dirt to talk about with Canada's treatment of Natives without having to drag China into it, lets stick to Canada guys.

CommieGIR fucked around with this message at 15:27 on Sep 28, 2021

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

CommieGIR posted:

If a genocide happens in a forest and nobody can hear it because its in Canada, was it China?

There's enough genocide dirt to talk about with Canada's treatment of Natives without having to drag China into it, lets stick to Canada guys.

:amen:

I had shut up about China pages ago, and will fully admit that I fell for provocation but am happy to shut up again if thread does too

Another Bill
Sep 27, 2018

I stumbled ass-backwards into a comfortable, easy life for reasons beyond my comprehension and now I think I'm better than you for it.

infernal machines posted:

If John Bolton's lips are moving, it's generally good practice to be deeply skeptical of everything coming out of his mouth, regardless of how it aligns with your personal opinions. That guy has a long and storied history you can very easily look up if you care even a little bit. When he starts talking it's because there's an outcome in mind, and it's not difficult to figure out what that is.

The CBC giving him airtime is disappointing, but not surprising.

John Bolton is like if Henry Kissinger retired and either sold off or franchised out his warmongering business

Typo
Aug 19, 2009

Chernigov Military Aviation Lyceum
The Fighting Slowpokes

I fully agree with poster, talking about Xinjiang concentration camps (which we aren't even really sure is bad literally fuckig John Bolton the war criminal says it's bad so we should be skeptical about it being bad) would only encourage the bourgeoise and white privilege. And is frankly racist since it does not take into account China's unique culture and historical context. We should instead refocus on "hardline" critic of Fascist-Super state of Canada since every minute where you are writing a post about China is a minute you aren't spending attacking Canadian super fascism.

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Ron Paul Atreides
Apr 19, 2012

no

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JawKnee
Mar 24, 2007

You'll take the ride to leave this town along that yellow line
Why is there a loving genocide denier in here