Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

MassRafTer posted:

He doesn't hate it, he just has a very specific idea of what it should be. Once he was in control being on commentary meant someone who knew where things were going and that he trusted was doing commentary.

Maybe. But I'm not sure exactly what that idea is.
But on the other hand I can now clearly hear Big E yelling 'BIG MEATY MEN SLAPPING MEAT' in my head.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Smoking Crow
Feb 14, 2012

*laughs at u*

Stealth Tiger posted:

Has Vince ever answered questions about who his favorite wrestler is, or what his favorite match or promo is? I feel like of the few interviews of him there are, they are all about -the business- of pro wrestling or about like, how much he wanted to beat WCW and not about fanboy stuff like a lot of shoots have.

His favorite wrestler is Dr Jerry Graham

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

We've all said this before, but if WCW hadn't lit a fire under their asses, the "New Generation" prevention and style would've continued through the 2000s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Stealth Tiger posted:

Has Vince ever answered questions about who his favorite wrestler is, or what his favorite match or promo is?
I wanted to make a cheap joke, but I can't remember: Who was that bodybuilder-turned-wrestler who had a tryout in the 80s, great physique, tall, handsome, had some karate experience, but was such drizzling shits that even Bret Hart could barely get a tolerable match out of him?

Deathlove
Feb 20, 2003

Pillbug

Halloween Jack posted:

I wanted to make a cheap joke, but I can't remember: Who was that bodybuilder-turned-wrestler who had a tryout in the 80s, great physique, tall, handsome, had some karate experience, but was such drizzling shits that even Bret Hart could barely get a tolerable match out of him?

Tom Magee.

The Lord of Hats
Aug 22, 2010

Hello, yes! Is being very good day for posting, no?
What are all the various move name modifiers? I mean like how if you take a move normally done standing, and do it from the top rope it’s an Avalanche #MOVENAME, or the reverse is either Step-Up or Standing.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Look, if you didn't spend the 90s obsessively learning what an Avalanche Suicida Inverted Cutthroat Wrist Clutch Tiger Driver '76 is, it's too late to start now.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

The Lord of Hats posted:

What are all the various move name modifiers? I mean like how if you take a move normally done standing, and do it from the top rope it’s an Avalanche #MOVENAME, or the reverse is either Step-Up or Standing.

Slingshot, springboard, pop-up, sitout, elevated, diving, corkscrew...

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Halloween Jack posted:

Famously Ted DiBiase got a slightly better match out of him for the simple reason of instead of doing strikes that Magee no-sold because he didn't know how to sell, he just started punching Magee for real.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

The Lord of Hats posted:

Moss covered, three handled…

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

Moss covered, three handled…

Moss Covered, Three Handled Family Burning Hammer

DLC Inc
Jun 1, 2011

Question: why does everyone hate EVIL and his title reign? Back when I still followed NJPW he seemed like a fairly midcard, maybe underutilized wrestler. Then I heard he was suddenly in Bullet Club (which sounded weird af) and I assumed people didn't like that but I have no knowledge about the quality of his out-of-nowhere championship reign or the matches.

disaster pastor
May 1, 2007

DLC Inc posted:

Question: why does everyone hate EVIL and his title reign? Back when I still followed NJPW he seemed like a fairly midcard, maybe underutilized wrestler. Then I heard he was suddenly in Bullet Club (which sounded weird af) and I assumed people didn't like that but I have no knowledge about the quality of his out-of-nowhere championship reign or the matches.

You know how pre-BC EVIL was a perfectly good big man/brawly type with some suplexing and stuff? Well, throw all that out, and replace it with constant cheating and Dick Togo interference, even against guys who aren't on his level.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

DLC Inc posted:

The matches on the whole have a lot of bullshit and interference, a whole lot and while that's not new to the title scene this was the most egregious. It's shtick designed to get crowds red hot with anger, booing loud enough to blow the roof off but the fans can't so he just cheats and Dick Togo garottes people in silence and it's poo poo.

Also think people were generally pissed that that reign was meant be big for Naito and he dropped it in his 2nd defence, then EVIL dropped it in his 2nd defence and Naito dropped it on his 2nd defence to Ibushi. So it passing the belt around like a hot potato instead of having a classic reign for Naito. In those 2 2020 reigns Naito beat KENTA, lost to EVIL, beat EVIL twice, lost to Ibushi.

I dunno, check the matches with Naito last year, it is mostly bad

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Did Tajiri's book ever get translated at all, I know not officially, but otherwise? Have wanted to read it, but just don't speak japanese and to my knowledge, that's all it was ever released in.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

forkboy84 posted:

The matches on the whole have a lot of bullshit and interference, a whole lot and while that's not new to the title scene this was the most egregious. It's shtick designed to get crowds red hot with anger, booing loud enough to blow the roof off but the fans can't so he just cheats and Dick Togo garottes people in silence and it's poo poo.

Also think people were generally pissed that that reign was meant be big for Naito and he dropped it in his 2nd defence, then EVIL dropped it in his 2nd defence and Naito dropped it on his 2nd defence to Ibushi. So it passing the belt around like a hot potato instead of having a classic reign for Naito. In those 2 2020 reigns Naito beat KENTA, lost to EVIL, beat EVIL twice, lost to Ibushi.

I dunno, check the matches with Naito last year, it is mostly bad

Yeah, on paper, giving EVIL a reign at some stage made some sense - the guy was regularly pushed as a threat to the main event, as a challenger-of-the-month, and when looked at the entire history of the IWGP Heavyweight Title, he wasn't the worst ever guy to hold the belt. It's just that it came at an inopportune time for someone who could have used a proper long reign to consolidate his place at the top of the card, and his matches since his heel turn can be summed up with "oh, for gently caress's sake." It definitely felt like they rushed into it, and leaned way too hard into the most annoying aspect of the Bullet Club and the various off-shoots.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
The one upside is it's going to lead to babyface Jay White which is gonna rule.

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Probably not the worst but certainly top 5. Maybe even top 3 depending on your feelings about Brock Lesnar

Yasuda 1, Sapp 2, EVIL or Brock 3 & 4

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Is the Evil vs Jay White storyline still going? Last time I checked in on that Jay interfered in an Evil match and teased attacking him before going for Naito instead and hugging Evil. That might have been after last years G1.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Jay's hinted at not being happy with EVIL in tweets and I expect the Tama/EVIL match will further it but also ots jot something you can heat up right now since Jay doesn't want to go to Japan and quarantine

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties
On the topic of Tom Magee, could he have been salvaged?

There have been so many untalented big men who have had at least decentish careers it feels like someone with his freakish athleticism could have done something.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Zombie Lemur posted:

There have been so many untalented big men who have had at least decentish careers it feels like someone with his freakish athleticism could have done something.

a bunch of promotions tried, he just fundamentally did not understand pro wrestling.

Zombie Lemur
Jul 6, 2009

Empyrean empties

STONE COLD 64 posted:

a bunch of promotions tried, he just fundamentally did not understand pro wrestling.

I thought he just went from Japan to WWF where he just hung around for a few years. I didn't know he did anything other than that.

Lamuella
Jun 26, 2003

It's like goldy or bronzy, but made of iron.

He had a couple of matches post-WWE with a New Zealand company called Arena Wrestling Alliance, but they weren't really tryouts, they were one of those "International stars of wrestling" companies that hosted lower card WWF and WCW guys for decent paydays.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Zombie Lemur posted:

Maybe if you'd sent him to Memphis for a stretch which I understand had the rep of 'if you can't make it here you can't make it anywhere.' Between the loops forcing you to be adaptable and being just regular practice and working with some of the best people around you sort of had no choice to evolve.

ncumbered_by_idgits
Sep 20, 2008

I'd never heard of Magee before so I googled him. Yikes at the story of the beating he took over the parking space.

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I fell out of sync with New Japan. What happened to Kitamura?

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...

ncumbered_by_idgits posted:

I'd never heard of Magee before so I googled him. Yikes at the story of the beating he took over the parking space.
I thought this would about some hazing by the boys, but no, just straight up aggravated battery on a 60yo man by several 20-somethings

SG Bamboo
Aug 21, 2013

Smile. Win. Yay!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

Pushed to the top of the Young Lion heap, was in the middle of a series of singles matches when he got injured (iirc a motorcyle accident) and disappeared for months before he was quietly let go and left wrestling altogether. There was a picture posted here at some point last year where he had got even roidier and is now a bodybuilder

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I don't think it ever really came out, but the rumours at the time was he was involved in a bike(?) crash which kept him out in early 2018 & then he just vanished for a year before it was announced he'd left. There might've been something about him keeping steroids in the Dojo which was apparently not acceptable behaviour but it's all unsubstantiated rumour.

He turned up in some...I can't remember if it was MMA or kickboxing or shoot boxing but it was on some shoot fighting show within the last 18 months. I think I didn't make that up.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

i'm not sure the motorcycle thing was ever confirmed and he went on to get rocked in some kickboxing match or something so it wouldnt have been a career ending injury if true. i think the anzac scuttlebutt was that he was a dipshit with no discretion about his roids?

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

So far as I know, The Hardyz most famous tag matches were all stipulation affairs. They brought the Ladders to TLC, after all.

Can you think of any regular tag matches involving them you'd recommend?

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

NikkolasKing posted:

So far as I know, The Hardyz most famous tag matches were all stipulation affairs. They brought the Ladders to TLC, after all.

Can you think of any regular tag matches involving them you'd recommend?

They had multiple matches with the Bucks in NEW and ROH worth checking out. The ones in NEW in particular are a bit slower, but not in a bad way.

They also had a pretty good match with Lance Storm & the Hurricane at No Mercy 2001, another pretty good one in a 4 team match vs Spike & Show, Storm & Hurricane, and the Dudley Boyz at Unforgiven '01

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

hardys vs mnm december 2 dismember is a long match

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
Hardys vs Bucks

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=PyhgGzFfUEg

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

vs Edge & Christian, No Way Out 2000
vs Edge & Christian, Insurrextion 2000

vs The Hurricane & Lance Storm, No Mercy 2001

vs MNM, December To Dismember 2006
vs MNM, Royal Rumble 2007
vs Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch, Backlash 2007
vs Lance Cade & Trevor Murdoch, Judgement Day 2007

vs The Young Bucks, ROH Supercard of Honor XI, 2017

vs The Bar, WWE Payback 2017
vs The Bar, Enflamed Testicles 2017*

Apparently their match against the American Wolves at TNA Destination X in 2014 is really good, but I've seen little to no TNA, so take this with a grain of salt.

*Do you count matches with time limits to as a "stipulation" affair?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

hardys vs mnm december 2 dismember is a long match

It's also the only decent match on that card, but it's also very obvious they were told to stretch things out to pad for time.

Their match at the Rumble in 07 is much better.

Infidel Castro
Jun 8, 2010

Again and again
Your face reminds me of a bleak future
Despite the absence of hope
I give you this sacrifice

edogawa rando posted:

It's also the only decent match on that card, but it's also very obvious they were told to stretch things out to pad for time.

Their match at the Rumble in 07 is much better.

IIRC it was also the only match aside from the chamber that was actually booked prior to the PPV.

Admiral Joeslop
Jul 8, 2010

What's the worst tag team to ever win a major tag title? Actual tag teams, not just two people thrown together on a whim.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Numero6
Oct 10, 2012

ここは地の果て 流されて俺
今日もさすらい 涙も涸れる
ブルーゲイル

Admiral Joeslop posted:

What's the worst tag team to ever win a major tag title? Actual tag teams, not just two people thrown together on a whim.

Probably the Harris Twins in WCW.