Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?

Narcissus1916 posted:

Where were they butchered? (This is the first I'm hearing about it, I'm not calling BS I'm just legit curious)

Also are we both talking about the MCC?

The Anniversary port which is incorporated in MCC yeah. Anniversary was built on top of the Gearbox port and most of the issues in Anniversary go back to it, which is why I get salty about the remastered graphics. Saber spent a lot of time trying to make a better looking overlay for the original game (which imo often looks bad) and left the look of the original game itself by the wayside.

Lighting weird almost everywhere
Flashlight doesn’t work right (because weird lighting)
No bump mapping so everything looks flat
No transparent shaders so energy poo poo doesn’t visibly react to damage or have anything animated going on
No or busted fog
No or busted reflections
Water effect is weird and different. Not sure what was technically wrong with this
HUD and viewmodels are slightly different from the original. This one weirds me out. It’s not even a big change, just big enough to notice. Why on earth did Gearbox do this?

Most of these have now been fixed. But “now” as in, earlier this year, when the game came out in 2011 based on a 2003 port and MCC came out in 2014 (and was itself completely busted at that time)

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

It’s truly amazing that it took until this loving year to get a Halo 1 PC port that wasn’t broken. Still the only Halo campaign I’ve really enjoyed along with 3.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

SeANMcBAY posted:

It’s truly amazing that it took until this loving year to get a Halo 1 PC port that wasn’t broken. Still the only Halo campaign I’ve really enjoyed along with 3.

Halo 1 PC port came in a loving cardboard sleeve. Didn't even give you a jewel case like every other game. Like they were brainstorming extra poo poo to suck at.

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

I remember Halo 1 PC was very poorly optimized at release. Just a botched release in every way.

Convex
Aug 19, 2010

TheScott2K posted:

Gearbox's total beefing

:hmmyes:

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004

skasion posted:

HUD and viewmodels are slightly different from the original. This one weirds me out. It’s not even a big change, just big enough to notice. Why on earth did Gearbox do this?
There are a couple of other assets that are different, like Keyes' model, that look like they did in pre-release imagery instead of the final game, so my assumption is that Gearbox weren't sent the final versions of everything because Bungie was in a permanent state of chaos.

TheScott2K posted:

Halo 1 PC port came in a loving cardboard sleeve. Didn't even give you a jewel case like every other game. Like they were brainstorming extra poo poo to suck at.
Huh? My copy of Halo 1 PC had a jewel case...

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal
Yeah, I imagine once the MS deal was finalized the PC version was pushed to a very, very back burner. It’s kind of amazing it existed at all, maybe someone figured if they outright cancelled it angry fans would burn down the studio

Mill Village
Jul 27, 2007

The Kins posted:

Huh? My copy of Halo 1 PC had a jewel case...

My game came in a paper sleeve. I tried Google Image Search and the only jewel cases it shows are from Ebay listings.

Voltek
Apr 19, 2013
Wonder if it was a region thing. My aussie bought copy of Halo 1 was a big cardboard box with a jewel case.

I did manage to get it to run on Windows 98 at the time, but couldn't get sound to work. I guess you make do when you're a teenager with a very basic PC.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

The Ebay listing is a European version (PEGI logo in lower left), so I assume the EU version didn't come in a cardboard box but a DVD case.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Fame Douglas posted:

The Ebay listing is a European version (PEGI logo in lower left), so I assume the EU version didn't come in a cardboard box but a DVD case.

I have that one, it's real.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009
Mine was a DVD case like that, European version.

Say what you want about the pc port, but Halo 1 multiplayer with mouse and keyboard was absolutely amazing. Memories of pistols on Bloodgulch have not been equaled to this day, not even by the MCC. It's an okay remaster, but they forgot to port over my teenage friends, energy drinks and local metal groups being blasted in the background.

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause
Gearbox sucks lol the only reason they're still in business is because Randal is some kind of chaos god that's really good at failing upwards.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Al Cu Ad Solte posted:

Gearbox sucks lol the only reason they're still in business is because Randal is some kind of chaos god that's really good at failing upwards.

I liked Opposing Force and to an extent Blue Shift. The early Brothers in Arms games were also good. Everything they've made since Borderlands has been utter poo poo though.

Sir Lemming
Jan 27, 2009

It's a piece of JUNK!

Convex posted:

Still no plans to add split-screen to the PC version :(

:( :hf: :(

Overbite
Jan 24, 2004

I'm a vtuber expert
I’m a guy who swears by mouse and keyboard for FPS games but halo just feels weird on anything other than controller. I tried playing reach with kbm but couldn’t do it.

Weedle
May 31, 2006

https://twitter.com/DUSKdev/status/1442849797229236236

Al Cu Ad Solte
Nov 30, 2005
Searching for
a righteous cause

Overbite posted:

I’m a guy who swears by mouse and keyboard for FPS games but halo just feels weird on anything other than controller. I tried playing reach with kbm but couldn’t do it.

Did YOU write this article? lmao

https://www.thegamer.com/halo-infinite-mouse-keyboard-wrong/

I've never had a problem with Halo on M+Kb. Then again, I can play anything on mouse and keyboard. Duke Nukem Zero Hour on jank rear end hacked mouse and keyboard is perfectly serviceable for me. Just not a controller person I guess.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

Been waiting so long for this...

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

MCC’s mouse autoaim is surprisingly unforgiving compared to controller.

Deakul
Apr 2, 2012

PAM PA RAM

PAM PAM PARAAAAM!

Man, I must have missed something with Halo.

I tried it back when it originally came to PC and didn't really care for it then.

I tried it again, this time with the MCC and in co-op, and yeah... the gigantic levels and ridiculous amounts of backtracking kind of killed the enjoyment.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

It's the most overrated FPS series on earth, the single-player campaigns are indescribably boring.

Groovelord Neato
Dec 6, 2014

If you'd already been an FPS player from PC gaming it didn't offer anything.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

I think Bungie are good at the mechanics of game making but atrocious as story tellers. Destiny 1/2 bored me so much, even though as shooters they feel pretty good to play.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Halo 1 has a fairly well-told story. 2 is also surprisingly decent at it while somehow also being a complete shitfest. Pretty much all downhill thereafter.

TheScott2K
Oct 26, 2003

I'm just saying, there's a nonzero chance Trump has a really toad penis.

Groovelord Neato posted:

Pretty much this. Goldeneye worked as kind of a really early proof of concept of a console FPS that wasn't a huge disaster and then Halo rang in the next gen with a solid "you can make those for these now and it works well!" The second stick, assisted aiming, slower pace of combat, and really nice graphics all went together to make something really mind blowing if you hadn't just spent 8 years working your way from Doom to Max Payne.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

Agents are GO! posted:

In addition to those already named,

Titanfall 2: Effect and Cause. Press L1 to Time Travel.

A Crack in the Slab from Dishonored 2 as well. The Clockwork Mansion too. Man that game had great levels.

Barudak
May 7, 2007

Halo 1 campaign was real good* and I had just come off a dedication to PC gaming at the time.

*Offer no longer valid starting at The Library

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

Groovelord Neato posted:

This is me. I got Halo on PC at launch (I still keep the mini master chief figurine that came as gift with it) and was... mediocre at best. Good music, had some cool ideas but the second half was horrible.

Got a Xbox 360 and Halo 3 and wasn't impressed, and Halo Reach... Nothing amazing for me. But I can understand being a 100% console player and being blown away but Halo on PC did nothing new and better than what we had already.

Eyud
Aug 5, 2006

I played all the Halos in the MCC recently (having only played 1 before, when it came out) and I liked 2/3 the best. I think the whole series is kinda overrated (the story is boring, the gameplay is just okay) but somehow after playing them all I'm looking forward to Infinite so I guess there is something there.

shoeberto
Jun 13, 2020

which way to the MACHINES?

Guillermus posted:

This is me. I got Halo on PC at launch (I still keep the mini master chief figurine that came as gift with it) and was... mediocre at best. Good music, had some cool ideas but the second half was horrible.

Got a Xbox 360 and Halo 3 and wasn't impressed, and Halo Reach... Nothing amazing for me. But I can understand being a 100% console player and being blown away but Halo on PC did nothing new and better than what we had already.

I feel seen itt right now. I would play Halo splitscreen with friends for funsies but compared to PC games it just was always super underwhelming. Especially since something like Metroid Prime was a contemporary on consoles that did something very interesting a console-focused that wasn't just a poor imitation of PC FPSes.

And yeah, I kept revisiting the series. Tried the PC ports. Tried playing Reach on my roomie's 360. All these games that are hyped and beloved and I just thought they were so drat boring. I can't poo poo on people for liking them but they have never held my attention for more than a few levels in SP.

Quantum of Phallus
Dec 27, 2010

they always feel so aimless, like you're just wandering from point a to point b with very little motivation, shooting the same four types of enemies. i know this describes a lot of FPS games but halo manages to make that feel so dull

The Kins
Oct 2, 2004
I have no idea how the campaign in Infinite will go, but the multiplayer seems preeeeetty fun from what I've played in the Insider beta, and that bit's gonna be free so

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
I've never like Halo because the main character is literally, unironically a child soldier kidnapped from his parents and replaced with a clone.

Seriously I think that's all canon.

Turin Turambar
Jun 5, 2011

Klaus88 posted:

I've never like Halo because the main character is literally, unironically a child soldier kidnapped from his parents and replaced with a clone.

What, you don't like your sad backstory?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Chief is a battleroid created to suppress insurrection by a sinister military government who ends up fighting conveniently unsympathetic aliens instead, just like the Marathon guy

But hey, Doomguy is a rent-a-cop for a corporation so evil they literally unleashed Hell. FPS protagonists are, by definition, murderous fiends

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:01 on Sep 28, 2021

SeANMcBAY
Jun 28, 2006

Look on the bright side.

Even as a console only gamer at the time, I didn’t think Halo was that special. Fun but nothing revolutionary to me.

Assepoester
Jul 18, 2004
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!
Melman v2

skasion posted:

But hey, Doomguy is a rent-a-cop for a corporation so evil they literally unleashed Hell. FPS protagonists are, by definition, murderous fiends
https://twitter.com/_claypot/status/1170501747288281088

Serephina
Nov 8, 2005

恐竜戦隊
ジュウレンジャー
Well, the 2016 Doomguy had the moral high ground at least. He has effectively no backstory and just really like killing deamons and pissing off corporate. Nice guy, really.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Agents are GO!
Dec 29, 2004

Klaus88 posted:

Not just a clone, a clone guaranteed to die young of horrible cancer.