Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

I'M HAVING A HOOT EATING CORNETTE THE LONG WAY

Lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas

Blockhouse posted:

He did write the scene where everyone is flabbergasted that Bruce eats a hamburger with a knife and a fork

I also eat that kind of thing with a knife and fork, I hate taking big bites of stuff. Me and Batman understand the pleasure of small, thoughtful bites.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Arguing about Lore for 5 years and counting

I have eaten one of those jumbo triple burgers with for and knife. The kind that you risk dislocating your jaw to eat.

Madkal
Feb 11, 2008

Fallen Rib
I have an irrational hatred of sauce dripping out of a burger while you eat it with your hands. That being said I still ear burgers with my hands

Madkal fucked around with this message at 05:46 on Sep 26, 2021

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

I hate it how my hands end up smelling of burger for a few hours after McDonalds no matter how many times I wash them.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch
if i saw a person eat a burger with utensils i would assume they'd have to be sent straight to the guillotine

site fucked around with this message at 06:09 on Sep 26, 2021

How Wonderful!
Jul 18, 2006

I only have excellent ideas
I don't like to get schmutz on my hands and I have kind of bad jaw pain sometimes so I like tiny nibbles. I sort of prefer eating slowly and methodically anyway so I don't feel stuffed. I don't like, whip out a pewter service to eat a pb&j but on the rare occasion I wind up with something kind of tall and sloppy, look, much like Batman I want to be prepared.

Vandar
Sep 14, 2007

Isn't That Right, Chairman?

I'm discussing 'recent' (as in within the past year or so) DC stuff with a friend, and I've got a random question. Have Punchline and Poison Ivy met each other yet?

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Negative.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

How Wonderful! posted:

I don't like to get schmutz on my hands and I have kind of bad jaw pain sometimes so I like tiny nibbles. I sort of prefer eating slowly and methodically anyway so I don't feel stuffed. I don't like, whip out a pewter service to eat a pb&j but on the rare occasion I wind up with something kind of tall and sloppy, look, much like Batman I want to be prepared.

Batman eats his steak well-done so his food choices are also not to be trusted.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

Endless Mike posted:

Batman eats his steak well-done so his food choices are also not to be trusted.

I remember some Batman comic, where someone describes Bruce Wayne as eating like an at athlete in training. Which I found the fantastic description.

Of course he also at one point tracked down one of those guys who won those "eat a giant steak meal" and had him teach him everything he knows.
Just in case Batman ever needs to defeat Killer Croc at an eating contest, or something.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

The Question IRL posted:

I remember some Batman comic, where someone describes Bruce Wayne as eating like an at athlete in training. Which I found the fantastic description.

Of course he also at one point tracked down one of those guys who won those "eat a giant steak meal" and had him teach him everything he knows.
Just in case Batman ever needs to defeat Killer Croc at an eating contest, or something.

Cutting that prep time in half I see.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

The Question IRL posted:

I like to think it was John Candy's character from The Great Outdoors. "Mr. Ripley. I've heard you ate the Ol' 76er. I need to know how."

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?

The Question IRL posted:

Batman & the Monster Men

Julie Madison posted:

His eating habits are odd, too. Rarely veers from steak and vegetables. Never -- ever -- has dessert. An athlete's diet.

But yeah, he absolutely has trained at eating contests, as you say, you never know.

Jiro
Jan 13, 2004

catlord posted:

Batman & the Monster Men

But yeah, he absolutely has trained at eating contests, as you say, you never know.

His poops must be horrific. :stare:

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I'm glad in Batman: Wayne Family Adventures established he at least has some of Alfred's cookies from time to time.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

The Question IRL posted:

Bruce Wayne being an insufferable crossfit/paleo bro would be a great cover for why he's so jacked

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Robin remains really good as his shonen battle tournament arc continues. Deathstroke, Inc. is... well, first issue set-up but I'm interested to see where it goes. It already has a unique take on HIVE.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Bruce Wayne being an insufferable crossfit/paleo bro would be a great cover for why he's so jacked

In the Super Hero Girls cartoon Bruce Wayne's cover is he's an insufferable douche with a reality show called Making it Wayne. Which is so brilliant I want a Batman comic about that.

Lord_Hambrose
Nov 21, 2008

*a foul hooting fills the air*

Skwirl posted:

In the Super Hero Girls cartoon Bruce Wayne's cover is he's an insufferable douche with a reality show called Making it Wayne. Which is so brilliant I want a Batman comic about that.

This is brilliant.

The Question IRL
Jun 8, 2013

Only two contestants left! Here is Doom's chance for revenge...

catlord posted:

Batman & the Monster Men

Yes! That's where that quote came from. Man that series (Batman and the Monster Men) was really good.

So I had a memory that I think is relevant to the discussion at hand.

In the early internet days (we are talking 2000's here) I spent a lot of time on Battleboards. You know, message forums for comic fans who would debate about who would win in fights. Honestly most comic fans around in those days probably spent time doing this. In many ways it gave me a lot of the discipline I needed for my future career in law.

But one thing that would come up when it came to debating Batman was how (back then) DC's official position was that Batman was a master of all forms of martial arts. On top of being an Olympic level athlete and the Worlds Greatest Detective and all that jazz.

So somebody did the math on that.
So at the time the number of martial arts known about was given at 129. Doing a quick Google search now, the number seems to be about 170-190. But we will stick with 129 different forms of Martial Arts. That Batman is going to master. Then we will add in a bunch of other skills that Bruce is said to be a master in. (High Speed Driving, Manhunting, Chemistry, Forensic Science, Lockpicking, Escape Artistry, Eating Contests, Diving, Cunninglingus Etc...)
So let's round it off and say between Martial Arts and other Batman skills there are 150 skills he is a master in.

And according to Batman's history he went to College, got a degree then traveled the world before coming back to Gotham to be the Batman. So say he travels the world from when he's 21 and back in Gotham when he is 30. So that's nine years to do it all in.
So nine years has 468 weeks in it. Divided by 150 skills gives him about three weeks per skill.

Which means Bruce had to have a conversation like this.

Bruce Wayne: Ah, are you George Batroc? The worlds greatest master of Savante, the French Martial Arts.

Batroc: Yes.

Bruce: I wish to learn from you.

Batroc: Very well, I shall take you on as a student. But it will take a long time to teach you.

Bruce: Sorry I don't have time for that. I'm sort of on a schedule here. I need this all to be done in two weeks. Three, tops.

Batroc: Right.

Bruce: Oh and I'm going to need you to teach me everything. Including all the secret moves that you have learnt that you were going to pass on to your most trusted students or children.

Batroc: Okay.

Bruce: Oh and while we are at it, I'm not going to give you my real name. I'm sort of a big deal and I can't take the chance that this might come back and be found out later on.

Batroc: Right. And why should I do any of this?

Bruce: I'll pay you $75,000 in cash.

Batroc: Sure thing Mr. Smith. Let's make you a master.

Now repeat this conversation 149 times, and you had what DC (and the Internet's) official stance on Batman's skillset was.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
OK, is Jonathan Kent alive again? Today's Superman had Jon bring his new boyfriend to the farm for dinner and it def looked like Clark's parents were both there?

Cael
Feb 2, 2004

I get this funky high on the yellow sun.

Gaz-L posted:

OK, is Jonathan Kent alive again? Today's Superman had Jon bring his new boyfriend to the farm for dinner and it def looked like Clark's parents were both there?

End of Doomsday Clock tweaked the timeline and made them alive again in the present, and I thought that was the last time it changed.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009
Jonathan is basically Schrodinger's Adopted Dad at this point

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Lord_Hambrose posted:

This is brilliant.

https://youtu.be/wbWcrOhXHoU

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Gaz-L posted:

well, it didn't last long

Argue
Sep 29, 2005

I represent the Philippines
The last issue of Batman/Superman is a fun read if you like Gwenpool, or to a much greater extent, the French comic Invincible (not to be confused with Kirkman's Invincible) that gets posted every so often in the Funny Panels thread. I'm almost sure that one panel in the middle of the issue is an explicit acknowledgement, in fact.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

site posted:

well, it didn't last long

He's Superman. I don't buy it. :colbert:

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Wait so like??

There's the story of an older Superman, in the future, recruiting Manchester Black and Midnighter et al into his Authority for some special mission...

...and yet that exact same thing is also happening now, in the present day, with the exact same characters, except here it's for the Warworld thing? Like we're just supposed to assume everything that Morrison was writing about future Superman is just...flat-out happening now, too?

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

I thought Superman and the Authority was also "now". It's kind of confusing.

Or maybe Morrison is doing a metastory about how stories constantly repeat by doing the exact same story at the same time.

Siegkrow
Oct 11, 2013

Morrison is casting a spell again

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

"Comics will break you heart perception of time and space"
-Jack Kirby

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vincent posted:

"Comics will break you heart perception of time and space"
-Jack Kirby

Speaking of Jack Kirby, I picked up the OMAC collection, and it is super casual about dropping absolutely horrific sci-fi stuff with absolutely no fanfare. Like, in the very first issue they effectively murder Buddy Blank to create OMAC and it's just never really commented on. I had lots of fun, but it's also not subtle about being cancelled in the middle of a storyline.

Vulpes Vulpes
Apr 28, 2013

"...for you, it is all over...!"
Paul Pope's "cover" of that OMAC story for his issue of Solo ramped it up even more:

Edit: Looks like he's got the whole story up on his site.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Vulpes Vulpes posted:

Paul Pope's "cover" of that OMAC story for his issue of Solo ramped it up even more:

Dang. Yeah, that's pretty cool.

site
Apr 6, 2007

Trans pride, Worldwide
Bitch

Argue posted:

The last issue of Batman/Superman is a fun read if you like Gwenpool, or to a much greater extent, the French comic Invincible (not to be confused with Kirkman's Invincible) that gets posted every so often in the Funny Panels thread. I'm almost sure that one panel in the middle of the issue is an explicit acknowledgement, in fact.

that was great, ty for pointing it out

frameset
Apr 13, 2008

Anyone else find the recent Superman Red and Blue anthology series to be the best thing DC's put out in years? I looked forward to each issue and savoured the art and stories.

Someone please tell me it sold well and they'll make more like it.

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand
Having Tom King say that Superman's actually somehow deep down secretly a cop in this new WW anniversary special is...well, I don't really know what it is. It might even be nothing, tbh. But I feel like it's...something.

On the other hand, Diana is so often relegated to being the inhuman joyless square when interacting with Clark that I do kinda like the dynamic being reversed for once. It's at least a novel take, if nothing else.

Vincent
Nov 25, 2005

All superheroes are cops, sadly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Vincent posted:

All superheroes are cops, sadly.

Squirrel Girl ain't a cop