Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Pentaghastly
Mar 26, 2016
This may be a long shot

It's a vine with a lady wearing a knit poncho dancing to West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys

I've seen it ONCE and never again - and it was absolutely amazing.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

hexwren posted:

You are definitely thinking about Exosquad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwAU1g92OjA

Thanks! The cable connecting to the dude's neck at 45s triggers all sorts of nostalgia even though I have no memory at all of the show taking place in space.

pseudanonymous
Aug 30, 2008

When you make the second entry and the debits and credits balance, and you blow them to hell.

hexwren posted:

You are definitely thinking about Exosquad.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HwAU1g92OjA

That's what I was thinking too. I didn't actually watch it but my brother did and I saw some of it incedentally.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DARPA posted:

Early 90s cartoon. American military themed with mechanized armor suits
There might be a "suiting up" montage that involves the pilot getting into the mech suit then a closeup of the suit jacking into a port in the back of the pilot's neck.

Exo-Squad was badass. I remember thinking that some day when I design my own slave workers, I will include the code for 4 fingers per hand with double opposable thumbs, too.

The whole “engineered slave race” gave off a really solid Blade Runner/Soldier subtext that I really thought presented some adult themes into a kids’ power-armor show.

Edit: Soldier was later, but it did tackle some of Exo-Squad’s themes.

DerekSmartymans fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Sep 18, 2021

Bippie Mishap
Oct 12, 2012

I rented a movie years ago from a library about people finding the center of the earth. It started with an interviewer asking questions of an old person who was there. It had real footage of polar explorations. It may have been Swedish or Norwegian TV?

DARPA
Apr 24, 2005
We know what happens to people who stay in the middle of the road. They get run over.

DerekSmartymans posted:

Exo-Squad was badass. I remember thinking that some day when I design my own slave workers, I will include the code for 4 fingers per hand with double opposable thumbs, too.

The whole “engineered slave race” gave off a really solid Blade Runner/Soldier subtext that I really thought presented some adult themes into a kids’ power-armor show.

Edit: Soldier was later, but it did tackle some of Exo-Squad’s themes.

It's streaming on peacock.

DerekSmartymans
Feb 14, 2005

The
Copacetic
Ascetic

DARPA posted:

It's streaming on peacock.

Thanks, man. My folks have a subscription so I can probably watch (some) a few of it tonight!

kzin602
May 14, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Pentaghastly posted:

This may be a long shot

It's a vine with a lady wearing a knit poncho dancing to West End Girls by the Pet Shop Boys

I've seen it ONCE and never again - and it was absolutely amazing.

https://twitter.com/billy_manson/status/1045526090045935616?s=20

eating only apples
Dec 12, 2009

Shall we dance?
A website called Nowhere or Nothing or similar. A stick man black silhouette of a person on a white background types at a computer (with typing sound effects). You can look through pages of melancholy thoughts and little vignettes, clicking words to move to a new page. I think you click on a moth to go back to the start. It all feels really lonely. From the 2010s probably.

eating only apples fucked around with this message at 10:42 on Sep 19, 2021

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Milo and POTUS posted:

Some famous fucker whose brother died in a boating accident when he was a child. That's it. That's all I know. Maybe not even that famous. Maybe just a writer or something who knows

Kelsey Grammer? He had a pretty infamously hosed-up childhood; his father was murdered, his sister was kidnapped, raped and murdered, and his half-brothers died in a scuba accident.

TIP
Mar 21, 2006

Your move, creep.

Timby posted:

Kelsey Grammer? He had a pretty infamously hosed-up childhood; his father was murdered, his sister was kidnapped, raped and murdered, and his half-brothers died in a scuba accident.

the one thing they all had in common, kelsey grammar :thunk:

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Tip posted:

the one thing they all had in common, kelsey grammar :thunk:

No one deserves to die for being a grammer nazi.

DoomLazer
Jun 1, 2011

RC and Moon Pie posted:

American TV show, mid-1990s.

Grandpa is babysitting his grandson one night. It's also the night of a big boxing match on PPV. Grandpa is eagerly wanting to watch this match because he's spent a lot of money ordering it. The bell rings and the kid calls out for help. He's gotten on top/hung on the fridge and can't get down.

Grandpa gets him down in seconds, but when he gets back to the TV, the match is over. Knockout immediately after the bell. Grandpa thinks he'll at least be saved by the replay, but it seems something else distracts him from that as well.

I initially thought the series was called Shaky Ground - which indeed has a boxing episode - but that episode is on YouTube and this isn't it.

late edit: This was live action, not a cartoon.

This sounds like an episode of Grounded for Life that I vaguely remember, but that ran from 2001-2005
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255734/

Songbearer
Jul 12, 2007

Fuck you say?
Old flash cartoon which was stick figures rendered in a chunky way, it was a music video which had a man pining over a woman and he winds up accidentally killing a cat or dog or something. At one point he's smoking and another he's drinking a coffee

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?

Timby posted:

Not it, I think it was when the person in question was younger too. But I'd never heard the scuba thing before

Arrhythmia
Jul 22, 2011
I was looking for a film I saw maybe half a scene of that my dad was watching on TV before 2009.

But then amazingly I found it before posting. If you guys are looking for a fantasy movie with marionettes from that era it was probably Strings (2004)

RC and Moon Pie
May 5, 2011

DoomLazer posted:

This sounds like an episode of Grounded for Life that I vaguely remember, but that ran from 2001-2005
https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0255734/

Definitely not that. That's not a series I watched or at a time I was watching much TV. It was definitely from a few years earlier.

I've been going through the TV schedules trying to find something a) familiar or b) had a family setup with a grandfather and young grandson. The grandfather character would have definitely been, at least, recurring because the other part of the episode I remember is that the grandfather had a girlfriend.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

There was a 4 panel black and white comic strip with a mother talking to her child. She starts repeating a word like "mardoom" or something, and by the last panel, the mom has transformed into some cosmic horror thing with one large eye and sharp teeth.

I don't even know how I'd begin to search for that, but I originally saw it on these forums, so maybe someone here knows what I'm talking about.

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

LARDROOM? I think it was a Red Meat strip?

Action Jacktion
Jun 3, 2003

It was advertising the band Barkmarket.

Escape_GOAT
May 20, 2004

Haha perfect! Thanks!

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

Escape_GOAT posted:

Haha perfect! Thanks!

It would have been identified faster if you recalled that it was a provocatively dressed cosmic horror thing with one large eye and sharp teeth

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

I will not shut up about the Mighty Morphin Power Rangers. I talk about them all the time and work them into every conversation I have. I built a shrine in my room for the yellow one who died because sadly no one noticed because she died around 9/11. Wanna see it?
What was the first silencer used in a movie?

Mr. Lobe
Feb 23, 2007

... Dry bones...

Milo and POTUS posted:

Not sure, but they go back at least as far as Guns of the Navarrone (1957)

Teketeketeketeke
Mar 11, 2007

Milo and POTUS posted:

This is a really cool question that I'm trying to look into!

Mr. Lobe posted:

Not sure, but they go back at least as far as Guns of the Navarrone (1957)
Wow, great find! Most of the other "early" examples I found so far are from the early 60s, in incredibly popular stuff like Dr. No and The Manchurian Candidate, so it's interesting to see that maybe it was a movie trope just getting started by the late 50s or so, despite history reaching back longer than that. You'd think there would be some cool old 30s noir film or something with a silenced weapon but who knows...

EDIT:
AHA, found an earlier noir film where a dude uses a silencer: Shield for Murder (1954)

EDIT2:
DOUBLE AHA: Quiet Please, Murder (1942)

Looks like it was definitely an old film noir trope.

EDIT3: Squadron of Horror (1938)
EDIT4: Think Fast, Mr. Moto (1937)

Teketeketeketeke fucked around with this message at 00:09 on Sep 22, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

Teketeketeketeke posted:

Looks like it was definitely an old film noir trope.

EDIT3: Squadron of Horror (1938)
EDIT4: Think Fast, Mr. Moto (1937)

If you go back only slightly before that all the movie guns were silenced!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Songbearer posted:

Old flash cartoon which was stick figures rendered in a chunky way, it was a music video which had a man pining over a woman and he winds up accidentally killing a cat or dog or something. At one point he's smoking and another he's drinking a coffee

This is the music video to "Doorsteps" by Lodger

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3_zsWb5Mb8s

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

There was a british romcom from about the 90s, had a guy time travel back one year before he screwed up his relationship with his girlfriend. She catches him cheating by saying "A friend saw you going into someone's house' which gets him to confess the first time he hears it (after first claiming it had been a friends house) but the second after the time travel. They don't end up together in any event and I think she was cheating on him too?

Some festivity, possibly only local, was happening around this time and seeing last years decor is his first clue he's gone back in time.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD
Help, my favorite "Real ghost caught on camera!!!" video from like 2009/10 has apparently completely vanished.

It was supposed to be baby monitor footage of a room with a rocking chair and crib, and then a very distinct guy in a bedsheet totally real ghost comes out from behind the curtain and slams his foot into the crib and stumbles around, while the text overlay does the whole "did you see it?" thing. It's too perfect to be lost but searching youtube is a garbage pile of bad ghost videos and dumb faces

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord

Wudz posted:

Help, my favorite "Real ghost caught on camera!!!" video from like 2009/10 has apparently completely vanished.

It was supposed to be baby monitor footage of a room with a rocking chair and crib, and then a very distinct guy in a bedsheet totally real ghost comes out from behind the curtain and slams his foot into the crib and stumbles around, while the text overlay does the whole "did you see it?" thing. It's too perfect to be lost but searching youtube is a garbage pile of bad ghost videos and dumb faces

I was able to find this, which I'm guessing isn't all of it. There's a Break.com watermark but I don't think that exists anymore though.

https://i.imgur.com/46rx2J8.mp4

edit: here

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=APNjc9FGFXE

Saint Freak fucked around with this message at 17:35 on Sep 28, 2021

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Wudz posted:

Saint Freak's break.com break got me this:
https://web.archive.org/web/20080219072443/http://www.break.com/1408/sitter-cam-catches-ghost.html
And duck duck go + sitter-cam-catches-ghost somehow pulled these as the first two results:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuPI-Rm2Vo
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kln10

e: freak you gently caress that's what I get for taking the time to credit

e2: but no break.com watermark on yours good job

Splicer fucked around with this message at 17:41 on Sep 28, 2021

Saint Freak
Apr 16, 2007

Regretting is an insult to oneself
Buglord
Ah, different methods. I screencapped a still to imgur and used a google image search of that crop to find the video I linked to.

Wudz
Aug 19, 2005

*LATEST FAD

Splicer posted:

And duck duck go + sitter-cam-catches-ghost somehow pulled these as the first two results:
https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JXuPI-Rm2Vo
https://www.dailymotion.com/video/x3kln10

you've just saved my entire halloween season! I somehow managed to accurately remember the title for my searches, but wasn't searching early enough.

thanks!

Dell_Zincht
Nov 5, 2003

Arbite posted:

There was a british romcom from about the 90s, had a guy time travel back one year before he screwed up his relationship with his girlfriend. She catches him cheating by saying "A friend saw you going into someone's house' which gets him to confess the first time he hears it (after first claiming it had been a friends house) but the second after the time travel. They don't end up together in any event and I think she was cheating on him too?

Some festivity, possibly only local, was happening around this time and seeing last years decor is his first clue he's gone back in time.

Sounds like the Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom "Goodnight Sweetheart" although the details don't entirely match.

It's about a married guy who discovers a portal to WWII London and starts a relationship with a woman there. He makes money in the present by taking antiques from the past with him and uses his knowledge of future events to gain various advantages when in the past.

In the present he has a friend who is the only one who knows about the time travel and covers for him to his wife.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Dell_Zincht posted:

Sounds like the Nicholas Lyndhurst sitcom "Goodnight Sweetheart" although the details don't entirely match.

It's about a married guy who discovers a portal to WWII London and starts a relationship with a woman there. He makes money in the present by taking antiques from the past with him and uses his knowledge of future events to gain various advantages when in the past.

In the present he has a friend who is the only one who knows about the time travel and covers for him to his wife.

Thanks for the try but it was definitely just one year he went back.

Funky See Funky Do
Aug 20, 2013
STILL TRYING HARD

Arbite posted:

Thanks for the try but it was definitely just one year he went back.

Was it definitely in the 1990s because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIFdWk83no

Seems to fit the bill.

Arbite
Nov 4, 2009

Funky See Funky Do posted:

Was it definitely in the 1990s because

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7OIFdWk83no

Seems to fit the bill.

I definitely saw it on home video before the mid-00s, pretty sure it was the early-mid 90s but can't guarantee it wasn't made before them. The two main things I am absolutely sure of are:

1. He discovers that he's back in time by complaining that people are using a previous year's decorations only to be told that they're this year's decorations.

2A. His girlfriend gets him to confess to lying (or cheating) pre time travel by saying someone saw him going into some house and then saying that it wasn't his friend's house as he first claims.

2B. After the time travel/soul jump back (one year) we see her discussing with a firend that she think's he's cheating so her friend suggests saying something like "I found something somewhere that belongs to a lady," (maybe lipstick or a tampon) which she rejects, so her friend suggests claiming that he was seen going into somebody's house. This time he just says nope and sticks with that, which works.

It's definitely the same cast & characters pre and post time travel.

*edit*

Found it! Twice Upon a Yesterday, also called 'The Man with Rain in His Shoes' and 'If Only...' depending on the market. The holiday was Carnival

Arbite fucked around with this message at 17:22 on Sep 29, 2021

Milo and POTUS
Sep 3, 2017

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvfPUGokgfc&t=148s

The first few seconds of this tune on the simpsons sound like a song I know but can't remember.

shadow puppet of a
Jan 10, 2007

NO TENGO SCORPIO

It’s a tiny bit like Pruit Igoe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Splicer
Oct 16, 2006

from hell's heart I cast at thee
🧙🐀🧹🌙🪄🐸

Milo and POTUS posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RvfPUGokgfc&t=148s

The first few seconds of this tune on the simpsons sound like a song I know but can't remember.
I need a hero?

e: the simpsons song is a pastiche of 80s montage/triumphant comeback songs so possibly the entire genre

Splicer fucked around with this message at 12:55 on Sep 30, 2021