Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?
Iirc someone said that Skyrim or SKSE can output useful crashlogs. How can I access those? My game crashes every time I try saving after doing some alchemy (not sure if location or ingredients matter).

e:Actually, I wonder if it's related to a recent change I made to the Immersive Armors config.

e2:i think that's the issue. reverted to an earlier save i get the same behavior after removing some of the armors

e3:I see reports of the same issue, but no relevant solutions.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 09:47 on Sep 27, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Mind linking to the report or sharing which armors cause the issue when removed?

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

This may be a long shot but, is there any way to make a Skyrim install (either original or SE) portable?

I know Morrowind with a few mods can work. Oblivion without heavy nodding (just some QoL and bugfixing) can too but Skyrim relies on ini settings on 'my documents\Skyrim\'. Once you have the load order and SKSE in place it shouldn't be a problem to run off a good usb drive.

The other option is to "clone" my PC installation into a laptop's with the same mods, settings and so.

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha

Guillermus posted:

Skyrim relies on ini settings on 'my documents\Skyrim\'.

I think if you use Mod Organizer 2 (which you probably are) then it has its own version of the ini files and doesn't use the ones in \documents\? I've never been sure about that though.

Robo Reagan
Feb 12, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Rinkles posted:

Iirc someone said that Skyrim or SKSE can output useful crashlogs. How can I access those? My game crashes every time I try saving after doing some alchemy (not sure if location or ingredients matter).

e:Actually, I wonder if it's related to a recent change I made to the Immersive Armors config.

e2:i think that's the issue. reverted to an earlier save i get the same behavior after removing some of the armors

e3:I see reports of the same issue, but no relevant solutions.

IA is pretty buggy. It's a super old mod

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Ynglaur posted:

Mind linking to the report or sharing which armors cause the issue when removed?

As far as I can tell, it doesn't matter which. Just making it reconfigure with MCM causes a crash on save, whether I wait till it finishes or not. It worked before during this playthrough. I'm wondering if whatever's wrong is only happening now because I hit a certain level threshold.

Robo Reagan posted:

IA is pretty buggy. It's a super old mod

I specifically asked the thread before installing it, and opinions seemed split. But there definitely are some armors I'd miss. There are a bunch I don't like as well, but, theoretically at least, I should be able to disable them. And I did turn off a bunch when I started the game with no issues (so thankfully no boiled chitin and witchbane armors).

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 14:16 on Sep 27, 2021

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

fuf posted:

I think if you use Mod Organizer 2 (which you probably are) then it has its own version of the ini files and doesn't use the ones in \documents\? I've never been sure about that though.

Need to check, worst case scenario is that besides the skyrim folder I can just carry and copy/paste the skyrim settings folder too.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Gonna miss this dude, helped a lot and lasted a long while. I was a bit too lax with my rune safety.

No good replacements on my shortlist.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
The .netscriptframework, which is a requirement for some other scripts, can debug unrelated crashes.

https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/21294

You get a netscriptframework folder in ModOrganizer's overwrite folder, with crash logs that give you mod suggestions (formids, etc) that were being loaded or processed at the time of the crash.

It's helped me out a few times finding bad meshes or messed up entities, which I could either resolve in game, through the creation kit, or by just disabling the mod.

And yeah, I've been running Immersive Armours since god knows when, and it's never been the fault of a crash or persistent problem. With that installed and the netscriptframework running, you should at least see if some item, cell edit, or script from IA was active during the crash.

Orcs and Ostriches fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Sep 28, 2021

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I can't parse the log very well, but it looks like Open World Loot, which handles item distribution, is causing the crash.

Orcs and Ostriches
Aug 26, 2010

The Great Twist
Open World Loot does warn about conflicts with anything that can modify loot lists and outfits, so there's a possible issue between the two.

Not sure how either of those specifically would cause a crash, but it's the creation engine.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

For test purposes, I uninstalled IA, saved, and reinstalled it, after which reconfiguring it wouldn’t cause a crash on save. But I don’t know if that wouldn’t cause issues down the line (plus I’d lose a bunch of gear).

Tyty
Feb 20, 2012

Night-vision Goggles Equipped!

I'm trying to decide what perk overhaul to use for the modlist I'm building right now. I normally build for multiple characters in mind since I tend to hop between them, but my next playthrough I want to play as a kind of 2h+magic character (using mysticism's resto poison spells) . Normally I'd just toss in Ordinator or Vokrii but I'm being a little bit more wary of that now (aside from the Enai poo poo) due to nearly every playthrough with them ending up with magic balance being a bit... wild. Destro just rolls over the game and enemy mages always end up one-shotting me. I'm not really sure how offensive restoration spells would play with the scaling either, knowing how messy False Light gets on its own.

I'm tempted to just use adamant but it's a bit too close to vanilla to me and doesn't have much at all to support magic+physical so I'm not really sure where else to go from here. I'd really like something as varied as Ordinator but with a lot more saner numbers, at least in regards to magic. I don't mind becoming strong but it sure seems to happen quickly in enairim and that's always kinda bothered me.

Rinkles posted:

I can't parse the log very well, but it looks like Open World Loot, which handles item distribution, is causing the crash.
I can't see at all why OWL would cause a crash, since it literally just edits leveled lists. It might have to do with how IA uses scripts to inject its armor into leveled lists disagreeing with how OWL changed everything to be outfits to better support its loot system maybe? The issue would probably end up happening eventually again if the reinstall fixed it.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Tyty posted:

I can't see at all why OWL would cause a crash, since it literally just edits leveled lists. It might have to do with how IA uses scripts to inject its armor into leveled lists disagreeing with how OWL changed everything to be outfits to better support its loot system maybe? The issue would probably end up happening eventually again if the reinstall fixed it.

Yeah but if I changed the IA config all in one go, I wouldn't have to reconfigure it later anymore. Right now I can play just fine, I just can't save after changing IA settings. I was removing IA armors bit by bit because I didn't remember what they looked like. I also wanted to get rid of some of the ones with insane V/W ratios, but I can just ignore them; that's not a big deal.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Death by trap. :smithcloud:

The temptation to reload was strong.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rinkles posted:

Gonna need a citation for that nickname

Edit: Barbas is Immortal until the end of the Clavicus Vile quest, fyi.

Air Skwirl fucked around with this message at 18:00 on Sep 28, 2021

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

Is that one of the spinning blade dwemer traps? Hit her to kneeling and then double-tapped her?

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
So, uh, are doing the main quest? I'm wondering how far along you are?

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Rinkles posted:

Is this part of an elaborate serial killer playthrough?

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Staltran posted:

Is that one of the spinning blade dwemer traps? Hit her to kneeling and then double-tapped her?

Yeah dwemer trap. I forgot the AI is dumb as rocks when it comes to hazards.

RaffyTaffy
Oct 15, 2008

Guillermus posted:

This may be a long shot but, is there any way to make a Skyrim install (either original or SE) portable?

I know Morrowind with a few mods can work. Oblivion without heavy nodding (just some QoL and bugfixing) can too but Skyrim relies on ini settings on 'my documents\Skyrim\'. Once you have the load order and SKSE in place it shouldn't be a problem to run off a good usb drive.

The other option is to "clone" my PC installation into a laptop's with the same mods, settings and so.

I did something like this by placing mod organizer 2 and the game/mods inside windows virtual disks.

Whenever I am no longer playing it I throw the VHDx file onto my slow/large storage.

Red Oktober
May 24, 2006

wiggly eyes!

Rinkles posted:

Yeah dwemer trap. I forgot the AI is dumb as rocks when it comes to hazards.

Dumb as rocks is right. I’m doing the Dragonborn starter quest and the woman just won’t stop running into the same weighted log trap, multiple times.

Run down the slope, trigger it, run headlong into it. Retreat up the slope during battle. repeat.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

Jack B Nimble posted:

So, uh, are doing the main quest? I'm wondering how far along you are?

level 28 or so. i've been to the greybeards and that's it. pretty much how all my playthroughs go.

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Kaiju Cage Match posted:

Is this part of an elaborate serial killer playthrough?

I'm suddenly having doubts about the culprit in Blood On The Ice.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

level 28 or so. i've been to the greybeards and that's it. pretty much how all my playthroughs go.

I initially just did up to and including Horn of Jurgen Windcaller in my current game, but I later decided I want Dragonrend to force dragons on the ground.

Speaking of dragons, apparently Dragon War sometimed spawns a level 70 revered dragon when you're level 24 :stare:. Either that or something's broken in my setup (Phoenix Flavour with Pilgrim and True Directional movement added, I wouldn't expect that to affect dragon spawns...). Though I did pretty well against it in werewolf form, if I had had the Ring of Hircine to transform again after it timed out I might have been able to kill it. Or if I had thought to kill the nearby mudcrabs to feed and extend the transformation, maybe.

Falcorum
Oct 21, 2010
I ended up in Falskaar and it just made me appreciate Skyrim's landmass more since at least it has things in it.

Guillermus
Dec 28, 2009

RaffyTaffy posted:

I did something like this by placing mod organizer 2 and the game/mods inside windows virtual disks.

Whenever I am no longer playing it I throw the VHDx file onto my slow/large storage.

Cool, thanks! I'll do some tests and see what I end with.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

All containers in your houses are 100% safe for storage, right?

PS. I've recruited Cosnach but I've given him like 85% resistance to fire in gear.

Rinkles fucked around with this message at 17:10 on Oct 1, 2021

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat

Rinkles posted:

PS. I've recruited Cosnach but I've given him like 85% resistance to fire in gear.

Eagerly awaiting the post where you kill him with a shock trap.

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

May the gods watch over you, Cosnach. :ohdear:

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

I'm already preparing the candlelight vigil for our righteous native brother cosnach

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?

marshmallow creep posted:

May the gods watch over you, Cosnach. :ohdear:

A monkey paw curls. Cosnach dies in a temple.

Staltran
Jan 3, 2013

Fallen Rib

Rinkles posted:

All containers in your houses are 100% safe for storage, right?

Almost certain everything in your houses is safe yeah, but you can always open the console and click on the container to check if you're worried.

e: Also maybe double up with magic resist too

Rainbow Knight
Apr 19, 2006

We die.
We pray.
To live.
We serve

and some health gear

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

I'm so sorry. Didn't expect it so soon.

(I hit him with an arrow aiming for the guy next to him).

marshmallow creep
Dec 10, 2008

I've been sitting here for 5 mins trying to think of a joke to make but I just realised the animators of Mass Effect already did it for me

My boy! You massacred my boy!

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Rinkles posted:

loving lol.

Jack B Nimble
Dec 25, 2007

Soiled Meat
I am calling THE POLICE.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

You're gonna have to become Thane of every realm just for the followers.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

davidspackage
May 16, 2007

Nap Ghost

Rinkles posted:

Hey.

Psst.

I know who you are.

hail Sithis