Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Applebees Appetizer
Jan 23, 2006

I lived right on a main drag of the beach once with my bedroom window facing the road, maybe 30 feet from it. I can't count how many times I was startled awake by some douchebag on a Harley going full bore at 2am leaving one of the lovely biker beach bars

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Wheeee posted:

Just start towing and crushing these vehicles on the first offence, the owners are clearly not responsible enough to be allowed to have them.

The gently caress is this C-SPAM style poo poo doing in AI?

Post the best loud car u got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umO3iqac_4c&t=25s

Edit : the tow and crush poo poo I mean, loud cars are great *in the right setting*

CAT INTERCEPTOR fucked around with this message at 00:06 on Sep 28, 2021

YOLOsubmarine
Oct 19, 2004

When asked which Pokemon he evolved into, Kamara pauses.

"Motherfucking, what's that big dragon shit? That orange motherfucker. Charizard."

dk2m posted:

:hai:

My neighbor has a Jag F Type R and when I hear him take it out, I open my windows so I can hear it better

I think it sounds cool but also don’t think everyone sitting in their homes or cars or wherever should be subjected to listening to things I think sound cool at deafening volumes whether they like it or not.

But I’ve heard F Type Rs on the road and they’ve never been THAT loud whereas a lot of lovely harleys sound like someone running a chainsaw on a bad fuel mix two feet from your head, even when they’re a block away.

Rusty
Sep 28, 2001
Dinosaur Gum
I just don't think much compares to the straight piped Harley's, they sound like complete poo poo, like no car straight pipes since it's a terrible sound, but for some reason bikes do it anyway. It's unreal how loud it can be when you're just sitting at home relaxing.

WTFBEES
Apr 21, 2005

butt

Franco Caution posted:

I really expected the new Z06 to be Carbon Fiber everywhere with a huge wing.
Maybe that is still coming as packages, but kinda weird they were with what looks like almost a more toned down image to show everyone.
https://jalopnik.com/2023-corvette-z06-this-is-it-1847752670

This was an unrealistic expectation, but I'm disappointed it's not just a C8R with a reasonable ride height. They really could have gone way more aggressive. Maybe the Z07 package will be more what I was hoping for.

Picture for the lazy:

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Any bets on pricing?

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

A kid across the street has the most horrible exhaust on a 3 series. It actually rattles the stuff hung on my walls even with the windows closed. It sounds like poo poo.

He also seems to leave every morning at 7 loving 30 AM and when he is home I swear he's in and out every half hour.

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

WTFBEES posted:

This was an unrealistic expectation, but I'm disappointed it's not just a C8R with a reasonable ride height. They really could have gone way more aggressive. Maybe the Z07 package will be more what I was hoping for.

Picture for the lazy:

The new wheels look so much better. Other than the different side/rear vent I can't see any differences over the regular model.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

KillHour posted:

Any bets on pricing?

$50k

mark-up on top of a $75kish sticker

Neo_Crimson
Aug 15, 2011

"Is that your final dandy?"

KillHour posted:

Any bets on pricing?

Probably $100k, $140k with options and some markup.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

When a tree grows, it is soft and pliable. But when it's dry and hard, it dies.

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

That which has become hard shall not triumph.

CAT INTERCEPTOR posted:

The gently caress is this C-SPAM style poo poo doing in AI?

Post the best loud car u got

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=umO3iqac_4c&t=25s

Edit : the tow and crush poo poo I mean, loud cars are great *in the right setting*

fiiiiine

expensive fix-it tickets for loud modified cars, immediate destruction for harleys

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Harleys are hosed and can get hosed but a nice snarly, raspy exhaust tone on a car with some little pops and gurgles is absolutely one of the best mechanical sounds on earth. The VAG/MB shift farts aren't so hot though.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
No. Cars should be a silent as possible. I don't care about your "little pops and gurgles" driving by my window. And the people in this thread talking about "letting 'er rip" out in the country just prove that. Just because you don't care about people living in the countryside doesn't mean they like your engine noise.

dk2m
May 6, 2009

YOLOsubmarine posted:

I think it sounds cool but also don’t think everyone sitting in their homes or cars or wherever should be subjected to listening to things I think sound cool at deafening volumes whether they like it or not.

But I’ve heard F Type Rs on the road and they’ve never been THAT loud whereas a lot of lovely harleys sound like someone running a chainsaw on a bad fuel mix two feet from your head, even when they’re a block away.

It’s fine! Cool cars that sound good are the best in the right context! I’m just lolling at the posters here, in the car forum, that don’t like car sounds and want to crush them all. I think there’s an anti-car thread in CSPAM where you’d get more agreement about it

The Z06 is understated but I actually quite like it - I’m supposed to be on the waitlist at my local dealership for it soon, but I doubt I’ll snag the spot. I absolutely cannot wait to drive one if/when that ever happens

Rumored 9K redline on a flat plane is absolutely unbelievable if GM can pull it off and make it reliable which is the only reason why I didn’t get the GT350

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Even car enthusiasts have to live somewhere. Liking cars doesn't mean I'm into noise pollution. You can like cars but still see all the issues with them.

bull3964
Nov 18, 2000

DO YOU HEAR THAT? THAT'S THE SOUND OF ME PATTING MYSELF ON THE BACK.

Cars can sound cool without being intensely and intrusively loud.

If you can get hearing damage standing next to it, it's too loud. If you can't, then I'm not likely to take much notice of it when it drives by.

Franco Caution
Jul 18, 2003

Wicked. Tricksy. False.

Woolwich Bagnet posted:

That simple addition of the fin or whatever going down the side of the intake makes all the difference in the world to me. Looks so much better.

I really like it. I don't need my cars to look like race cars. I applaud this and the GT3 touring.

As for price: Starts at $79,999. You of course can't order this nor will it ever be available ever at this price. Strictly for marketing materials, magazine covers, etc!

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

KillHour posted:

Any bets on pricing?

Gimme $79,995 Bob!

Residency Evil fucked around with this message at 02:09 on Sep 28, 2021

Laserface
Dec 24, 2004

Fame Douglas posted:

No. Cars should be a silent as possible. I don't care about your "little pops and gurgles" driving by my window. And the people in this thread talking about "letting 'er rip" out in the country just prove that. Just because you don't care about people living in the countryside doesn't mean they like your engine noise.

gently caress off out of Automotive Insanity if you dont like loud car sounds is my hot take. I also hope you dont ever mow your lawn or use a leaf blower, air compressor, chainsaw or other power tools. just too noisy to be allowed, sorry. you know, actual constant, repetitive noise.

I live above a busy main road and as a car enthusiast I enjoy it. I loving hate harleys and trucks engine braking as much as anyone else, but any good sounding car/sports bike is just as enjoyable to me as the sound of birds chirping.

When I want silence and solitude I go as far away from the road as possible. you should too, because noise pollution from vehicles isnt gonna go away in your lifetime. Harleys maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Zi-8zwIZo

wallaka
Jun 8, 2010

Least it wasn't a fucking red shell

Laserface posted:

gently caress off out of Automotive Insanity if you dont like loud car sounds is my hot take. I also hope you dont ever mow your lawn or use a leaf blower, air compressor, chainsaw or other power tools. just too noisy to be allowed, sorry. you know, actual constant, repetitive noise.

I live above a busy main road and as a car enthusiast I enjoy it. I loving hate harleys and trucks engine braking as much as anyone else, but any good sounding car/sports bike is just as enjoyable to me as the sound of birds chirping.

When I want silence and solitude I go as far away from the road as possible. you should too, because noise pollution from vehicles isnt gonna go away in your lifetime. Harleys maybe

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5Zi-8zwIZo

He's trolling you. He is also currently making GBS threads up one of the Musk threads.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher
That's enough about noise.

Thread finds a new car to talk about instead please. No more of this derail after this post.

Olympic Mathlete
Feb 25, 2011

:h:

My friend saw the new Aston Martin yesterday, he said their design team is hilariously disfunctional. They had the reveal at his design studio and the big boss flew in, the new design is front engined and had 3 vents on the rear including 1 that is non-functional because the next car after that has it functional and they left it in to resemble the next one for that 'familial' look. Big boss wades in "why is it on the car if it's non-functional? Take it off" so it seems even high end car designers are now trying to add pointless poo poo to the cars.

The design review of it was apparently quite amusing because the lead designer was sat there muttering under his breath about various changes big boss wanted to make. The spot the plate goes on the front end he didn't like and wanted it pushed back into the grille but of course you couldn't do that because of the crash structure. The lights were also 'boring' according to the boss so those are being changed and the 3D model they'd brought in to examine on the huge projection screen setup had surfaces that didn't actually work properly and glitched, so it sounded like a successful day.

That's my non-noise related new car talk. Thank you.

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Olympic Mathlete posted:

My friend saw the new Aston Martin yesterday, he said their design team is hilariously disfunctional. They had the reveal at his design studio and the big boss flew in, the new design is front engined and had 3 vents on the rear including 1 that is non-functional because the next car after that has it functional and they left it in to resemble the next one for that 'familial' look. Big boss wades in "why is it on the car if it's non-functional? Take it off" so it seems even high end car designers are now trying to add pointless poo poo to the cars.

The design review of it was apparently quite amusing because the lead designer was sat there muttering under his breath about various changes big boss wanted to make. The spot the plate goes on the front end he didn't like and wanted it pushed back into the grille but of course you couldn't do that because of the crash structure. The lights were also 'boring' according to the boss so those are being changed and the 3D model they'd brought in to examine on the huge projection screen setup had surfaces that didn't actually work properly and glitched, so it sounded like a successful day.

That's my non-noise related new car talk. Thank you.

If the DB9 ends up being the last truly good-looking AM, I'll be a millionaire in 20 years. So I hope they fail miserably.

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

Hardness and strength are death's companions. Flexibility and softness are the embodiment of life.

new Outback Wilderness is neat, like a big fat rally car that can also hold as much poo poo as a small truck

https://youtu.be/SLIHdI1G7t0

apparently it’s got a built version of the CVT with a bunch of changes and a cooler so it can even go up a hill without exploding

https://youtu.be/dE2maJuHaBY

https://youtu.be/VPP7t-Uau9w

gut feeling is it’s kinda pricey for a Subaru but my gut’s also an idiot, it’s a cool car

Wheeee fucked around with this message at 07:50 on Sep 28, 2021

GabbiLB
Jul 14, 2004

~toot~
I'm not sure where to post this but yesterday I saw a new Rav4 with the gloss black body cladding. It was maybe the most disturbing thing I've seen on a vehicle since the new BMW kidneys. Really stands out and does not look good or suit the car at all.

Woolwich Bagnet
Apr 27, 2003

GabbiLB posted:

I'm not sure where to post this but yesterday I saw a new Rav4 with the gloss black body cladding. It was maybe the most disturbing thing I've seen on a vehicle since the new BMW kidneys. Really stands out and does not look good or suit the car at all.

Having run out of places in the interior to put piano black trim, they've moved to the exterior. Nice.

Fame Douglas
Nov 20, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Now that we've had them for a while, I don't find the new BMW kidneys offensive at all.

Pr0kjayhawk
Nov 30, 2002

:pervert:Zoom Zoom, motherfuckers:pervert:

Fame Douglas posted:

Now that we've had them for a while, I don't find the new BMW kidneys offensive at all.

I knew that would happen. Ugh

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

I didn't realize all 4-series had the mega sniffer, I thought that was just for the M3/M4. I saw a white 4 series yesterday with it, without a front plate, and nah it's still clowny as hell looking :v:

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Wheeee posted:

new Outback Wilderness is neat, like a big fat rally car that can also hold as much poo poo as a small truck

https://youtu.be/SLIHdI1G7t0

apparently it’s got a built version of the CVT with a bunch of changes and a cooler so it can even go up a hill without exploding

https://youtu.be/dE2maJuHaBY

https://youtu.be/VPP7t-Uau9w

gut feeling is it’s kinda pricey for a Subaru but my gut’s also an idiot, it’s a cool car

they sacrificed the WRX for this

Wheeee
Mar 11, 2001

New WRX looks cool in moving video where you can see the shape better, much better than the bland and ugly previous gen.

Fully expecting it to grow on people once they see them more, and Subaru will almost certainly release a manual trim with the nifty new dampers in a year or two so they can brag about listening to their customers.

Nohearum
Nov 2, 2013

Wheeee posted:

New WRX looks cool in moving video where you can see the shape better, much better than the bland and ugly previous gen.

Fully expecting it to grow on people once they see them more, and Subaru will almost certainly release a manual trim with the nifty new dampers in a year or two so they can brag about listening to their customers.

No

Sab669
Sep 24, 2009

Wheeee posted:

That plastic cladding poo poo has never and will never look good. Especially so on something billed a sports/performance vehicle.

It's ugly on the OG Honda Element, it's ugly on the Taycan CrossTourismo, and it's ugly on everything in between.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Laserface posted:

Harleys are hosed and can get hosed but a nice snarly, raspy exhaust tone on a car with some little pops and gurgles is absolutely one of the best mechanical sounds on earth. The VAG/MB shift farts aren't so hot though.

No, they don’t. The cars with the pop tunes around here are louder than loving Indycars (and sound way worse). They are simply obnoxious, full stop.

Frond
Mar 12, 2018

Fame Douglas posted:

Even car enthusiasts have to live somewhere. Liking cars doesn't mean I'm into noise pollution. You can like cars but still see all the issues with them.

I live 5 minutes away from the Toronto Indy fairgrounds and the poptune cars are louder than them and all of the support cars as well.

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002

Sab669 posted:

That plastic cladding poo poo has never and will never look good. Especially so on something billed a sports/performance vehicle.

It's ugly on the OG Honda Element, it's ugly on the Taycan CrossTourismo, and it's ugly on everything in between.

I LIKE it on the Honda Element. But then again I like ugly cars, hello NC Miata.

Symetrique
Jan 2, 2013

https://acuranews.com/en-US/releases/sport-is-back-acura-teases-the-all-new-integras-sleek-five-door-design

Overlay over a camo car:

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
drat, Hyundai Genesis coupe got stretched to a sedan

FBS
Apr 27, 2015

The real fun of living wisely is that you get to be smug about it.

Oh dang I didn't realize there were pics of the camo car already. I guess I can stop worrying about it being secretly a crossover.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy
Well it's not a crossover but a 4-door coupe, which is only slightly less bad.

There's a pretty big first drive review of the Rivian truck by our friend Jonathan: https://arstechnica.com/cars/2021/09/rivians-67-500-314-mile-electric-adventure-truck-put-to-the-test/

Looks an order of magnitude better than anything Tesla's made but touchscreen hvac can :fuckoff: I guess I'm not buying it now