Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

matti
Mar 31, 2019

-Wall -Wextra -Wno-unused

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OddObserver
Apr 3, 2009

Rocko Bonaparte posted:

Why might g++ decide to just skip a null check? I am assigning a pointer with a helper function that instead returns NULL. I then test NULL with an if-statement. In the debugger, I can see the pointer is NULL. It then rockets right past the conditional and goes straight into trying to use it.

I've tried to disable optimizations with -O0 and then disable null pointer checks with -fno-delete-null-pointer-checks but it still skips over the check.

Edit: I figured out my big stupid. I was just making GBS threads out the return code without actually using the return statement so the compiler had determined it was a pointless fart even at O0 and skipped it.

The best part about making this mistake is that code like that sometimes just happens to work if the return value happens to be in the right register.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

RETAIL RETAIL LISTEN TO ME BITCH ABOUT RETAIL
:rant:
So I grew to like the Qt framework while using Python, through PyQt, which was easily accessible, just a pip install away. How in hell do I get a hold of the compiled Qt binaries for C++? Or is there another GUI solution for C++ that's better? (I ask...because I hate to switch away from something I'm at least passing familiar with, with a nice GUI designer.)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015
There is a QT online installer which supposedly gets them for you? I don't really use QT and be warned that they've been making using them more and more annoying (to get you to pay for licence).

Colonel Taint
Mar 14, 2004

Could you use a package manager like conan.io or vcpkg to get the QT libraries required? Genuinely curious actually because there are qt packages available for either but I know the licensing for QT is not totally free.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
On Windows I generally just use the installer.

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009
However, vcpkg provides quite a bit more packages than just Qt, should you need or use other libraries as well. Plus, the big advantage is that, if you use CMake, you can work on your project in a different OS, then with just minor changes you can adapt it to compile in Windows with vcpkg. Or viceversa.

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Boy, kyou weren't kidding about making it a pain in the rear end. PyQt was like...seamless because it was just a pip install away. Using VSCode and MinGW because I don't have admin on this machine, are there any other GUI libraries? Expand my product knowledge :shepicide:

EDIT: vvv All of that is new to me - I come from interpreted languages, and this is my first serious foray into a compiled language in over a decade. If building from source is an option, I'll have to look at doing that. Are there any good tutorials for build-from-source/CMake for these packages?

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 14:52 on Sep 20, 2021

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
In all my years of trying I've never found a library that could live up to Qt. GTK isn't terrible, especially in these days of Electron-everything where the old "but it doesn't look native" complaints seem downright quaint, but it doesn't have the breadth of functionality. Once you get the Qt libraries in place either through the installer, vcpkg, or even just building it from source yourself, it's really easy to get it integrated with a CMake project. No need for any of the weird qmake stuff like in the old days.

more falafel please
Feb 26, 2005

forums poster

D34THROW posted:

Might be an odd question, but are there any standards for C++ coding like PEP8 for Python? Things like standards for variable/class/function naming, code line length, etc.

Also, the Doxygen docs aren't much help for how to construct docstrings for C++, if those are a thing. I'm coming from Python, obviously, and there's something there like:

Python code:
def foo(bar: int):
    """
    Performs such and such operation.

Rotates the loofah around the stick such that the notches
    line up and the loofah can be removed from the stick.

:param int bar: Degrees of rotation needed.
    :return bool: True for success, false for failure.
    """
    pass

There's not any kind of standard. Google has a set of guidelines that are pretty good: https://google.github.io/styleguide/cppguide.html

I don't love their naming conventions, but naming conventions are arbitrary, pick something you like and stick with it. I do a lot of work in UE4, which has its own conventions,
which I also don't prefer (I like having a differentiation between members and non-members, but I don't like trailing underscores).

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

D34THROW posted:

Boy, kyou weren't kidding about making it a pain in the rear end. PyQt was like...seamless because it was just a pip install away. Using VSCode and MinGW because I don't have admin on this machine, are there any other GUI libraries? Expand my product knowledge :shepicide:

EDIT: vvv All of that is new to me - I come from interpreted languages, and this is my first serious foray into a compiled language in over a decade. If building from source is an option, I'll have to look at doing that. Are there any good tutorials for build-from-source/CMake for these packages?

vcpkg seems to have pretty reasonable qt ports, so setting up vcpkg + cmake should be your next step

D34THROW
Jan 29, 2012

Xarn posted:

vcpkg seems to have pretty reasonable qt ports, so setting up vcpkg + cmake should be your next step

It sure does! Has a Qt5.15 port...that I can't use because I have VSCode installed to the user, not Visual Studio. Tried to run vcpkg install qt5-base and it errored out right at the end because I have VSCode, not VS. So now I'm building wxWidgets. Only reason I really wanted Qt was because of the designer and my familiarity with it. I didn't much care for building GUIs via code with Tkinter.

Thanks for the help, all. I'll figure it out and be back to bug you. :gbsmith:

EDIT: vvv Not so much don't want to as can't. Once upon a time, the IT team transmitted the admin credentials in a plaintext email to me, for some reason or other. They have since changed and I've no realistic reason of yet to ask for them again. I'll keep an eye out for those, thank you!

God drat does building wxWidgets take a long time on this machine.

D34THROW fucked around with this message at 18:56 on Sep 20, 2021

chglcu
May 17, 2007

I'm so bored with the USA.
Might work if you install the visual studio command line build tools (I forget what the package is actually called) if you don’t want to install the full VS for some reason.

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

D34THROW posted:

Tried to run vcpkg install qt5-base

That already means you are using it wrong :v:

I might not fit it today, but I'll write something about this tomorrow.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
Hello, friends. I'm building a new C++ debugger and I'm looking for people who can help test it by using it during a screen share while looking for a bug in their code. If you have some non-NDA source code on Windows that you can screen share and do a bug search on while using the debugger please DM me :)

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Xarn posted:

That already means you are using it wrong :v:

I might not fit it today, but I'll write something about this tomorrow.

Bleh, I really thought I would do it the next day.

Basically if you are writing something from scratch, you should be using CMake + vcpkg's manifest mode, which notably means you won't be explicitly calling the vcpkg tool. Instead you have one or two files in your project dir, vcpkg.json and optionally vcpkg-configuration.json. vcpkg.json describes basic information about your project and its dependencies. A simple one looks like this

code:
{
  "$schema": "https://raw.githubusercontent.com/microsoft/vcpkg/master/scripts/vcpkg.schema.json",
  "name": "foo",
  "version": "0.0.0",
  "description": "The best foo to ever foo foo",
  "dependencies": [
    "fmt"
  ]
}
and everything just works, because e.g. the compiler is taken from the cmake configuration.

------------------

Sadly it seems that the qt5 port does not support mingw properly anyway: https://github.com/microsoft/vcpkg/pull/20309

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
I'm having an end-of-day pointer brain fart here with some goofy C pointer poo poo. Let's say I have a void* pointer voidbutt pointing to an address containing 8 bytes that itself is an address to a string. How do I properly cast that to a char* so I can do strlen and friends on it? I keep copying the pointer to the original buffer and not contained address.

PittTheElder
Feb 13, 2012

:geno: Yes, it's like a lava lamp.

well it's late and I've been drinking, but your voidbutt is a pointer to a char pointer. Just dereference with char* pcGoodPointer = *(char**)voidbutt

E: oh right you have to cast it first, can't dereference void directly.

E2: Or just dereference twice?
char** ppcFoo = voidbutt;
printf("\nfirst char in string: %c", **ppcFoo);

PittTheElder fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 24, 2021

Rocko Bonaparte
Mar 12, 2002

Every day is Friday!
Hmmm... scribbles down notes

"Try casting the pointers while drunk."

Tomorrow's gonna be a great workday!

Edit: Yes, a double dereference was the right direction to go. Somehow I got all cocked up thinking about that as soon as I started looking at the memory map.

Rocko Bonaparte fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Sep 24, 2021

Volguus
Mar 3, 2009

Xarn posted:

vcpkg.json

Thank you for the information, I had no idea about vcpkg.json . Before, I would always just install the needed packages (and more, like install the entire boost) with "vcpkg install ...." and go from there, but this is so much cleaner.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
I just learned about this C++17 thing:
code:
std::for_each(
  std::execution::par_unseq,
  someIterable.begin(), someIterable.end(),
  someFunctionToCallForEachElement);
But I'm not sure I'm understanding what the execution policies really mean.

Particularly this paragraph is confusing

quote:

Unsequenced execution policies are the only case where function calls are unsequenced with respect to each other, meaning they can be interleaved. In all other situations in C++, they are indeterminately-sequenced (cannot interleave). Because of that, users are not allowed to allocate or deallocate memory, acquire mutexes, use non-lockfree std::atomic specializations, or, in general, perform any vectorization-unsafe operations when using these policies (vectorization-unsafe functions are the ones that synchronize-with another function, e.g. std::mutex::unlock synchronizes-with the next std::mutex::lock)

My *first* confusion is that it's unclear whether the "because of that" sentence refers to the "all other situations" or to the "unsequenced execution policies". After staring at it for a while I'm fairly sure it's the latter.

So then this seems to be saying that you can't use mutexes to control unsequenced things, which perhaps makes sense for parallel unsequenced; it seems like a bit of a rude restriction but I guess if you want to do that you can use classic multithreading, and the idea here is for something where the compiler can optimize it more aggressively so it's saying get the gently caress out of here with your locks? But I don't understand how this is a constraint for "unsequenced" rather than a constraint for "parallel". Is it saying you *can* use locks for std::execution::par, and treat it like regular multithreading, but not for std::execution::par_unseq?

I think maybe my confusion is that "unsequenced" sounds like it means "no order guarantee", but it looks like actually the whole thing when you use one of these means "no order guarantee" and "unsequenced" means "the compiler should refuse to allow you to use locks, and you shouldn't do any sort of writing to any structures that are not unique to each call to someFunction, optimization will assume this and if you do anything different from that then you hosed up". Is that it?

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

I don't need to know anything about virii! My CUSTOM PROGRAM keeps me protected! It's not like they'll try to come in through the Internet or something!
Or to put what I think it means another way, I think it's like

1. std::for_each nominally rearranges your iterator order randomly (but in reality probably does not).
2. std::execution::par is approximately equivalent to #pragma omp parallel for followed by a loop over that nominally rearranged iterator
3. std::execution::seq is approximately equivalent to a loop over that nominally rearranged iterator
4. std::execution::par_unseq is like par except it mustn't touch anything that any other thread (including those from this 'par') might be touching
5. std::execution::unseq is like seq except it mustn't touch anything that any other thread might be touching

Uncertainty on 5: can calls from unseq touch stuff that is being touched by other calls from unseq, since they're not happening in parallel, e.g.

code:
int foo = 0;
auto poop = std::vector(5);
std::for_each(
  std::execution::unseq,
  poop.begin(), poop.end(),
  [&i] {foo++;}
);
std::cout << foo << std::endl;
This would be okay because non-parallel execution makes everyone touching foo fine. If it's parallel then the behavior is undefined. If it's parallel and you lock-guard foo then it's fine again. If it's par_unseq then you *can't* lock-guard foo. And seq vs unseq only matters if you need to lock something during the call due to some other thread caring about it. Is that it?

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
You can click through to find out what "unsequenced" and "indeterminately-sequenced" mean:

quote:

"sequenced-before" is an asymmetric, transitive, pair-wise relationship between evaluations within the same thread.

If A is sequenced before B, then evaluation of A will be complete before evaluation of B begins.
If A is not sequenced before B and B is sequenced before A, then evaluation of B will be complete before evaluation of A begins.
If A is not sequenced before B and B is not sequenced before A, then two possibilities exist:
evaluations of A and B are unsequenced: they may be performed in any order and may overlap (within a single thread of execution, the compiler may interleave the CPU instructions that comprise A and B)
evaluations of A and B are indeterminately sequenced: they may be performed in any order but may not overlap: either A will be complete before B, or B will be complete before A. The order may be the opposite the next time the same expression is evaluated.

"unsequenced" can interleave operations even within a single thread of execution (and even if the compiler can't prove that such interleaving will produce identical results - by using it, you the programmer are promising the compiler that it will be alright!), the restrictions on what you can reasonably do in your function flow pretty naturally from that fact.

The bit at the end calling out that your function can't do any "vectorization-unsafe operations" is a big clue towards the type of optimization that it allows the compiler to make.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Jabor posted:

You can click through to find out what "unsequenced" and "indeterminately-sequenced" mean:
Ah, thanks, that clears it up a lot. I missed that those were links!

So my example would *probably* work as expected (but you still shouldn't do that with unseq), but a slightly trickier example would become clearly dangerous with unseq, e.g. doing foo = foo * 2 + 1 on a shared foo would potentially become unpredictable nonsense behavior even in a single-threaded unseq. Very interesting.

vvvvv Yeah, that's why I said emphatic-probably and you shouldn't do it. :)

roomforthetuna fucked around with this message at 04:06 on Sep 28, 2021

Jabor
Jul 16, 2010

#1 Loser at SpaceChem
I think your example is a bit sketch even in a single-threaded unseq - it's technically allowable to do, say, reading foo into the four different arms of an SSE register, doing an SSE increment, then writing back all four results, and counting that as four iterations. Which does not give the same result that an indeterminate sequencing would.

If you were performing a lockfree atomic increment then it would be safe.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

https://twitter.com/vamchale/status/1442192210561146883?s=21

Private Speech
Mar 30, 2011

I HAVE EVEN MORE WORTHLESS BEANIE BABIES IN MY COLLECTION THAN I HAVE WORTHLESS POSTS IN THE BEANIE BABY THREAD YET I STILL HAVE THE TEMERITY TO CRITICIZE OTHERS' COLLECTIONS

IF YOU SEE ME TALKING ABOUT BEANIE BABIES, PLEASE TELL ME TO

EAT. SHIT.

I don't quite get how you can know enough to need to write cmake scripts but still not be able to figure it out.

roomforthetuna
Mar 22, 2005

Private Speech posted:

I don't quite get how you can know enough to need to write cmake scripts but still not be able to figure it out.
There's probably a significant amount of not wanting to figure it out because it's a pain in the rear end and the makefile you already wrote mostly works so why am I even learning this new thing that sucks?

fourwood
Sep 9, 2001

Damn I'll bring them to their knees.

roomforthetuna posted:

There's probably a significant amount of not wanting to figure it out because it's a pain in the rear end and the makefile you already wrote mostly works so why am I even learning this new thing that sucks?
They’re undoubtedly academics so yeah it’s this.

ultrafilter
Aug 23, 2007

It's okay if you have any questions.

CMake is fine and good as long as your script works, but god help you if you need to debug anything.

leper khan
Dec 28, 2010
Honest to god thinks Half Life 2 is a bad game. But at least he likes Monster Hunter.

roomforthetuna posted:

fourwood posted:

They’re undoubtedly academics so yeah it’s this.

I was assuming it was this plus it was written by grad students so everything about it is a horror, and they aren't incredibly familiar with the thing to begin with.

Star War Sex Parrot
Oct 2, 2003

leper khan posted:

I was assuming it was this plus it was written by grad students so everything about it is a horror, and they aren't incredibly familiar with the thing to begin with.
Can confirm that the CMake scripts I've written as a grad student are a horror.

Volte
Oct 4, 2004

woosh woosh
CMake seems horrible until you understand that when you give programmers elegant tools to manage build processes with powerful abstractions and clearly defined semantics, they will use those tools to create inscrutable horrors that cause you to go mad just by looking at them.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010
CMake fits its niche well and was possibly the first cross platform modern C++ build scripting system and I give it a lot of credit for being that and being very valuable for the C++ community as a whole

BUT ALSO

the scripting language has historically suffered from some serious syntactical and semantic flaws that the cmake team has somewhat but not entirely dug themselves out of. For example you used to have to repeat the predicate on endif. It's like the person who originally wrote it slept through their compiler class

code:
if (predicate)
   ... stuff here
endif (predicate)
thank god you don't have to do that anymore but strings are still a complete mess

code:
set(foo "a b c") # you get "a b c", cool
set(foo a b c) # you get "a;b;c", huh???
they designed cmake to replace single target makefiles and then later when they had to support visual studio project files with multiple targets instead of going back and doing it the right way they added this garbage

code:
target_link_libraries(engine PUBLIC "${PROJECT_SOURCE_DIR}/source/thirdparty/curl-7.77.0/build/$<IF:$<CONFIG:Debug>,Debug/libcurl-d.lib,RelWithDebInfo/libcurl.lib>")
don't forget about this pain in the brain

code:
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_PROFILE "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO} -DWHATEVER" CACHE STRING "Flags used by the C++ compiler during Profile builds" FORCE)
Would you like config-specific flags like that set for only one file or project? Too bad you can't do that

Again, CMake is on a whole very useful and I'm glad we have it. Its generation layer I have zero complaints about. But its frontend has some glaring design problems that occasionally make me look around for a replacement.

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed
Cmake suffers a lot from all the outdated tutorials on the internet. If you do everything the modern way and require a cmake version from the last year, even moderately complex projects can be mostly straightforward and simple. A lot of features you'd consider incredibly basic were added very recently, though, so good luck actually finding a guide that tells you the right way to do things. At best you might find something which is twice as complicated as it needs to be because it's working around a missing feature, and if you're really unlucky it might tell you do to everything incorrectly.

Once you're off the happy path and trying to write your own functions or macros everything is completely insane still.

Twerk from Home
Jan 17, 2009

This avatar brought to you by the 'save our dead gay forums' foundation.

Plorkyeran posted:

Cmake suffers a lot from all the outdated tutorials on the internet. If you do everything the modern way and require a cmake version from the last year, even moderately complex projects can be mostly straightforward and simple. A lot of features you'd consider incredibly basic were added very recently, though, so good luck actually finding a guide that tells you the right way to do things. At best you might find something which is twice as complicated as it needs to be because it's working around a missing feature, and if you're really unlucky it might tell you do to everything incorrectly.

Once you're off the happy path and trying to write your own functions or macros everything is completely insane still.

A basic CMake task that I expected it to be able to do trivially: Find generic Lapack on Ubuntu 20.04 in /usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu for static linking, which is used by OpenBLAS as well as generic BLAS and multiple other BLAS library options.

It can't until a bug that was fixed in 3.21, which is too new for me to ask people to use for something distributed: https://gitlab.kitware.com/cmake/cmake/-/merge_requests/6036. So instead, I'm just going to direct people to tell it where lapack is by hand with -DLAPACK_LIBRARIES=/usr/lib/x86_64-linux-gnu/liblapack.a .

I don't have an idea of how frequently cmake is releasing, but given that C build systems tend to use system packages for all of the libraries you're linking against, I was surprised to find that the Cmake version (3.16) distributed from Ubuntu 20.04 repositories is so old, and apparently too old to Just Work for basic tasks.

Vino
Aug 11, 2010

Plorkyeran posted:

Honestly you can't post something like this and not talk extensively about these features I probably know nothing about and could probably put to good use. What have they added?

Xarn
Jun 26, 2015

Vino posted:

code:
set(CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_PROFILE "${CMAKE_CXX_FLAGS_RELWITHDEBINFO} -DWHATEVER" CACHE STRING "Flags used by the C++ compiler during Profile builds" FORCE)
Would you like config-specific flags like that set for only one file or project? Too bad you can't do that

The latter is you being bad at cmake, per project flags are easy and old.

You absolutely do not want per-file flags. I mean it. Don't. (Honestly you don't really want per project flags that are ABI-changing either, but eh)

Plorkyeran
Mar 22, 2007

To Escape The Shackles Of The Old Forums, We Must Reject The Tribal Negativity He Endorsed

Vino posted:

Honestly you can't post something like this and not talk extensively about these features I probably know nothing about and could probably put to good use. What have they added?

Nothing exciting; just gradually filling in things that would have surprised you by their absence. Some things from cmake 3.21 that I would have expected years ago:

cmake(1) gained the --install-prefix <dir> command-line option to specify the location of the install prefix.
cmake(1) gained the --toolchain <path/to/file> command-line option to specify a toolchain file.
CMake now supports the MSYS runtime environment, much like CYGWIN.
The file(COPY_FILE) command was added to copy a single file
The install() command gained a new IMPORTED_RUNTIME_ARTIFACTS mode, which can be used to install the runtime artifacts of imported targets.
The add_custom_command(TARGET) command (for Build Events) gained support for resolving target-dependent generator expressions.

file(COPY_FILE) is a nice example of something that was just inexplicably missing and sometimes hard to do pre-3.21 (file(COPY) runs at a different build phase). install() not copying runtime artifacts of imported targets is the latest in a long series of issues where imported targets just didn't do a thing they needed to do. Every version of cmake adds support for generator expressions in a few more places and these days it's nearly everywhere, but even just a few versions back and there was some pretty important things which didn't support them.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Foxfire_
Nov 8, 2010

Xarn posted:

You absolutely do not want per-file flags. I mean it. Don't. (Honestly you don't really want per project flags that are ABI-changing either, but eh)
"Use different warnings settings on these files" isn't an unreasonable ask