Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Riptor
Apr 13, 2003

here's to feelin' good all the time

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Ain't nobody beating the ice cream cut, sorry

I cut myself on barbecue sauce once

granted it was a weird glop that had dried on a sheet pan into a pointy shape after i cooked some ribs in college once but i still cut myself on sauce

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rugikiki
Jan 15, 2008

Illinois Nazis.
I hate Illinois Nazis!

That’s a tie at least!

stringless
Dec 28, 2005

keyboard ⌨️​ :clint: cowboy

Your link is broken, so here's a working link plus a quote:

Rugikiki posted:

Coconut based vegan ice cream freezes very, very hard. If you’re bearing down on the scoop too hard it can slip, resulting in slamming your knuckles into the track you did manage to scoop out, which is still very hard and now has edges.

That’s how I cut myself on ice cream.

Poohs Packin
Jan 13, 2019

I began my exit strategy from the industry a little over a year ago while working as a sous at a relatively prestigious and well known bistro.

I was cleaning the flat top with a brick and got shot of hot degreaser in the eyeball. Our KM (clipboard guy who spent all day "doing the schedule") downplayed the severity of it because he didnt want me to take time away:

"Oh yeah weve all had a shot of that stuff in the old eye".

I finished cleaning and went home and my very smart wife insisted I go to hospital. When I got there they did a litmus test and my cornea was the pH of drain cleaner. The GP said i couldve lost sight if I didnt come in.

I had to manually irrigate my eye with saline for about 8 hours straight until they would release me. The next weekend the other senior staff neglected prep as they were focused on a private dinner for one of the owners buddies. Worked from 7am until 1am (split shift) and still had a prep list as long as my arm going into saturday morning.

I showed up the next day in sandals with a letter of resignation in my hand and watched half the staff turn white in realisation that yet another Sous was leaving and they were hosed. One of the Chefs de Partie told me "ive seen so many good chefs come and go here". Anyway thats my story I still cook for charity lunches and stuff when people need a hand but 15 years had done my head in.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT
I work at a university dining hall. We get breaks to eat. I eat outside, since that is obviously the safest option during these trying times. My boss explicitly told me today that I am not allowed to do that. I was unable to reason with him. He admitted that it's safer, but he won't budge on it. He wants all of us cooks to eat indoors, with all the Covid-spreading unmasked students, in the main dining hall area, but in one particular corner that is not protected from viral spread in any way at all.

I looked up his salary. For the amount of work he does, even during normal times, he is accepting a bag of pennies. I have lost all respect for this stupid gently caress.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words
If you're on your lunch break, he shouldn't be able to control what you do. What if you wanted to go eat at McDonald's?

Sextro
Aug 23, 2014

Anne Whateley posted:

If you're on your lunch break, he shouldn't be able to control what you do. What if you wanted to go eat at McDonald's?

Yeah I’m pretty confused here.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

Animal-Mother posted:

I work at a university dining hall. We get breaks to eat. I eat outside, since that is obviously the safest option during these trying times. My boss explicitly told me today that I am not allowed to do that. I was unable to reason with him. He admitted that it's safer, but he won't budge on it. He wants all of us cooks to eat indoors, with all the Covid-spreading unmasked students, in the main dining hall area, but in one particular corner that is not protected from viral spread in any way at all.

Get it in writing. This is one of those conversations that if it didn't happen in writing it didn't happen at all.

Malachite_Dragon
Mar 31, 2010

Weaving Merry Christmas magic
And if he refuses to put it into writing he knows drat well he's not supposed to be demanding this of you, and doesn't want to give you a paper trail to use it against him.

Naelyan
Jul 21, 2007

Fun Shoe
If you're not allowed to leave the building then you sure as poo poo should be getting paid while you eat.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Naelyan posted:

If you're not allowed to leave the building then you sure as poo poo should be getting paid while you eat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.
Yeah, if you aren't on the clock they shouldn't be allowed to tell you what to do, and I think there's a fair chance your state has a law basically saying as much.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Naelyan posted:

I'm not even leaving the building. We have a nice, spacious, walled-in outdoor seating area with covered tables. It's literally the safest location available. I'm on my breakfast break out here right now.

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011
I think maybe your manager is having a bit of a breakdown and you're getting to see his bad coping skills played out.

JacquelineDempsey
Aug 6, 2008

Women's Circuit Bender Union Local 34

Yeah, that's some serious BS there. Are you clocked out when you're on lunch? Aside from "dont get drunk/high", I don't think any work place can tell you what to do when you're on a clocked out lunch break.

What's your boss's reasoning, out of curiosity?

Efb cause there's been some replies since I started this. But yeah, what reason did your boss give for not being able to eat where you want?

The Maestro
Feb 21, 2006
If it’s a restaurant, you shouldn’t eat in the dining area. If it’s campus dining or cafeteria style, who cares.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

The Maestro posted:

If it’s a restaurant, you shouldn’t eat in the dining area.

Why not?

Thumposaurus
Jul 24, 2007

According to health departments (at least in DC) your not allowed to eat a meal in the kitchen either.
Place I worked at before everyone went and ate in the dining room about an hour before dinner service started.

Ideally there'd be a separate employee break from for such activities, but lol.

Sandwich Anarchist
Sep 12, 2008
Lol at you babies actually eating during your shift. Everyone knows you only eat at 3am, and that's if you aren't passed out drunk by then #TRUECOOKS

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Sandwich Anarchist posted:

Lol at you babies actually eating during your shift. Everyone knows you only eat at 3am, and that's if you aren't passed out drunk by then #TRUECOOKS
I had a chef that insisted if you ate anywhere other than crouched next to the trashcan during a shift you weren't a true cook. He thought early Bourdain was Jesus. Wonder if those things are related.

Mister Speaker
May 8, 2007

WE WILL CONTROL
ALL THAT YOU SEE
AND HEAR

fizzymercury posted:

I had a chef that insisted if you ate anywhere other than crouched next to the trashcan during a shift you weren't a true cook. He thought early Bourdain was Jesus. Wonder if those things are related.

Bourdain would probably have called that guy an rear end in a top hat.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Neither snow nor rain nor heat nor gloom of night stays these couriers from the swift completion of their appointed shitposting.

Mister Speaker posted:

Late Bourdain wouldn't

because the dead can't talk

fizzymercury
Aug 18, 2011

Mister Speaker posted:

This guy stopped reading or maturing after Kitchen Confidential. He also considers Waiting an inspiring documentary and not a warning.

The General
Mar 4, 2007

droll posted:

Why not?

I believe most places believe their kitchen staff are ghouls and gremlins and shouldn't ever be seen by the customers. I think every place I've worked at has given me poo poo for going and getting my own fountain drinks. But you know what? I'm not waiting 45 goddamned minutes while I wait for one of the four servers I've asked to bring me a drink.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth

The General posted:

I believe most places believe their kitchen staff are ghouls and gremlins and shouldn't ever be seen by the customers. I think every place I've worked at has given me poo poo for going and getting my own fountain drinks. But you know what? I'm not waiting 45 goddamned minutes while I wait for one of the four servers I've asked to bring me a drink.

Figured. As a customer paying $20 for a plate of pasta it is my god damned kingly right not to have to THINK about let alone SEE the peasantry that made my delicious meal. Ruins my immersion.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The General posted:

I know it's not the norm, but most restaurants I've worked at had open kitchens. so getting your own beverage would absolutely be fine. Not sitting in the dining area is mostly that means they can't use the table for a customer.

Because it was fine for cooks to get their own drinks, I would only get asked if they were swamped, and I would always do it because I wanted them to remember that the next time I needed to change an order or some other favor from them.

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

JacquelineDempsey posted:

What's your boss's reasoning, out of curiosity?

"We don't want you mingling with the students (I dont) and we needed to find you and complain that the line was empty for 45 minutes (my break was 25 minutes and I filled the line before I left and my buddy filled it before I returned, so it was probably empty for 5 minutes at the most)."

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Skwirl posted:

I know it's not the norm, but most restaurants I've worked at had open kitchens. so getting your own beverage would absolutely be fine. Not sitting in the dining area is mostly that means they can't use the table for a customer.

Because it was fine for cooks to get their own drinks, I would only get asked if they were swamped, and I would always do it because I wanted them to remember that the next time I needed to change an order or some other favor from them.

I worked in an open kitchen and we still weren't allowed to get our own drinks because they didn't want us to leave the line for a minute and a half and taste freedom.

TheParadigm
Dec 10, 2009

droll posted:

Figured. As a customer paying $20 for a plate of pasta it is my god damned kingly right not to have to THINK about let alone SEE the peasantry that made my delicious meal. Ruins my immersion.

evil-cat-meme

first you let the boh be seen in the front, then the next week they want tip shares

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

"We don't want you mingling with the students (I dont) and we needed to find you and complain that the line was empty for 45 minutes (my break was 25 minutes and I filled the line before I left and my buddy filled it before I returned, so it was probably empty for 5 minutes at the most)."

Are these paid or unpaid breaks?

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Skwirl posted:

Are these paid or unpaid breaks?

IIRC, one of my breaks is paid and one isn't, but there's no way of keeping track of which is which.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

Intelligent and bright, they explored a world that was new and strange to them. They liked it, they thought - a whole world just for them! They were dimly aware that a God had created them, was watching them; they called out to him, thanking him in a chittering language, before running off.

Animal-Mother posted:

IIRC, one of my breaks is paid and one isn't, but there's no way of keeping track of which is which.

Whichever one your supervisor notices you being outside, that's your unpaid break. Problem solved. If he catches you twice, tell him you traded your paid break to a coworker for two unpaid breaks and a break to be named later.

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Animal-Mother posted:

Whichever one you eat outside during is the unpaid one, so tell him to gently caress off.

Also, assuming you're in the USA, you should be getting a 30 minute unpaid break if you work more than 6 hours

The General
Mar 4, 2007

I hate to be difficult, but I can imagine the conversation going down like
"Don't eat out here."
"I'm on break."
"That's great. Don't eat out here."
"But I'm on break."
"That's great. Don't eat out here. If I have to say it again, you're fired. glhf."

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

The General posted:

"Don't eat out here."
"I'm on break."
"But I'm on break."
"That's great. Don't eat out here. If I have to say it again, you're fired. glhf."

They work for a University cafeteria, there's no way the guy saying where he can eat actually has the authority to fire them.

Mithross
Apr 27, 2011

The General posted:

"Don't eat out here."
"I'm on break."
"But I'm on break."

Well yea, all the advice is predicated on a supervisor that is at least borderline a human being, so maybe 30%? Because otherwise the advice is just "gently caress that guy and look for another job" or something similar.

droll
Jan 9, 2020

by Azathoth
It’s a good thing colleges have ample revolutionary trade unionists and communists on hand to help ;)

Air Skwirl
May 13, 2007

Mithross posted:

Well yea, all the advice is predicated on a supervisor that is at least borderline a human being, so maybe 30%? Because otherwise the advice is just "gently caress that guy and look for another job" or something similar.

No we're talking about management violating actual laws, which they do constantly, but mostly because no one calls them on it. If you point out "you can't legally tell me to do this" they shut the gently caress up pretty quick.

Hauki
May 11, 2010

Mithross posted:

I worked in an open kitchen and we still weren't allowed to get our own drinks because they didn't want us to leave the line for a minute and a half and taste freedom.

lol same

it was totally fine if I fed myself off the line tho

I just couldn’t be witnessed eating by the public

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Animal-Mother
Feb 14, 2012

RABBIT RABBIT
RABBIT RABBIT

Skwirl posted:

assuming you're in the USA,

I've been under that assumption my entire life. If it turns out I was wrong.... :ohdear:

Thank you for your advice. And thank you everyone for the support. I was really frustrated the other day but now I'm more relaxed. I have a shitload of work to do tomorrow, but I noticed a large cadre of student assistants being brought in and trained this afternoon, so things are going to get a lot better. Until Covid rips through the place. Then... loving hell, then we'll see.