Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Moose-Alini
Sep 11, 2001

Not always so
I guess I’ll give a Pfizer side effect trip report then. Shots 1 and 2, nothing at all, sore arm for a few days but otherwise nothing. When I got 3 the other day, I also got flu shot at the same time, got pretty drat sleepy about an hour later, but mowed the lawn and felt totally normal after. Sore arm for only one day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azathoth Prime
Feb 20, 2004

Free 2nd day shipping on all eldritch horrors.

Purgatory Glory posted:

Anecdote time. One of two antivaxxers I work with got the shot last week. For them it was Justin Trudeau getting reelected,meaning that the mandates weren't going to disappear.this morning on the news a restaurant owner was talking about how you had to have you QR code vaccine passport and not the paper card. Mentioning that nobody liked having to check people's status. But that his pharmacist friends were saying that over the last week or so they have had a surge of grumpy people getting the vaccine because they want to go to the gym and restaurants. Same rant my coworker made. Like children.

I have an anti-vax coworker who got vaccinated last week due to my company's vaccine mandate.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
So you hate wearing masks so you design a fake mask site to troll the left except now you're still wearing a mask anyways but one which does nothing and is probably still uncomfortable to wear?

Bit of a self own there

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

Bit hard to tolerate such stupidity

Verisimilidude
Dec 20, 2006

Strike quick and hurry at him,
not caring to hit or miss.
So that you dishonor him before the judges

AEMINAL posted:

https://fakemaskusa2.com/

Guess this is a thing now. Absolutely disgusting.

Spending money to show you're against mask-wearing by...wearing a mask. Actually it doesn't even show people you're anti-mask, this is literally just for spite.

ben shapino
Nov 22, 2020

Ginette Reno posted:

So you hate wearing masks so you design a fake mask site to troll the left except now you're still wearing a mask anyways but one which does nothing and is probably still uncomfortable to wear?

Bit of a self own there

it makes people i don't like angry; worth it

*cough*

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

Azathoth Prime posted:

I have an anti-vax coworker who got vaccinated last week due to my company's vaccine mandate.

Put a big VAXXED label on their work area

Purgatory Glory
Feb 20, 2005

QuarkJets posted:

Put a big VAXXED label on their work area

And caution tape and a sign that says "currently shedding vaccine :toxx: "

Liquid Chicken
Jan 25, 2005

GOOP

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

I hope the fake masks turn out to be an N95 compliant grift.

PhazonLink
Jul 17, 2010

A Strange Aeon posted:

I liked the "organized left" from that Brietbart article someone posted a few pages back as well. But "tolerant left" as an ironic name for anyone who opposes something obviously racist or stupid is old, I think maybe a Rush Limbaugh thing or at least used heavily in that circle, i.e. "so much for the tolerant left!" to conclude some monologue and reinforce the idea that the left is hypocritical I guess.

I definitely heard an unironic example from some OANN or some other z poo poo tier """"""""""news""""""""""""" org during a press event on Capital Hill when MTG or Boeburt were shouting about some stupid thing.

Somepeople crashed the presser and then the oaan hole barked "so much for the tolerant left."

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Vaccine trip report:
Pfizer 1st shot gave me a sore arm for around 36 hours.
Pfizer 2nd shot gave me a less sore arm than the first for about 16 hours and made me slightly tired but not enough that I couldn't go about my normal day

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

So this is fun and absolutely won't erode trust in vaccine passports.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/portpass-privacy-breach-1.6191749

I wonder if it was something as amateur as the ID number being the URL?

Beartaco
Apr 10, 2007

by sebmojo
Thanks for the responses. Definitely makes me feel better to know I'm not the one person completely laid out like this. Every single person I know in person has had zero side effects from this thing.

Except for this guy who decided to be weirdly aggressive/condescending?

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS

EL BROMANCE posted:

I hope the fake masks turn out to be an N95 compliant grift.

I should sell 3M 8210s at at least fivefold markup as “the mask CDC doesn’t want you to wear!”

EVIL Gibson
Mar 23, 2001

Internet of Things is just someone else's computer that people can't help attaching cameras and door locks to!
:vapes:
Switchblade Switcharoo

uhhhhh. I was trying to explain what is happening to your body and why you feel like the way you are but gently caress ME I guess

I see. the opening was rough. sorry. but still, I'm glad you you got absolutely nothing out of my post .

EVIL Gibson fucked around with this message at 01:50 on Sep 29, 2021

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

A Strange Aeon posted:

I liked the "organized left" from that Brietbart article someone posted a few pages back as well. But "tolerant left" as an ironic name for anyone who opposes something obviously racist or stupid is old, I think maybe a Rush Limbaugh thing or at least used heavily in that circle, i.e. "so much for the tolerant left!" to conclude some monologue and reinforce the idea that the left is hypocritical I guess.

They're not even meaning it ironically, they're smugly pointing out that the Left is intolerant towards certain things and don't practice 100% indiscriminate tolerance towards everything in the world and are thus hypocrites for accusing anyone else of being intolerant.

..... which is dumb as hell because of course they don't tolerate certain things (bigotry or nazis or homophobes etc etc) and they never even implied that they would. It's a standard "slippery slope" rhetorical maneuver which extrapolates their opponent's argument to a ridiculous level and reacts to that rather than what they actually said.

E: it's also a classic example of the ol' "You accuse me of being a [....]??? Well maybe you are the true [.....] :smug:" dumbshittery

Nam Taf
Jun 25, 2005

I am Fat Man, hear me roar!

EVIL Gibson posted:

uhhhhh. I was trying to explain what is happening to your body and why you feel like the way you are but gently caress ME I guess

I see. the opening was rough. sorry. but still, I'm glad you you got absolutely nothing out of my post .

It's also not particularly accurate, as it implies that if you don't get those reactions then your body isn't receiving an effective response to the vaccine, which is incorrect. Vaccine side effects may be due to the body mounting a response to the contents of the vaccine, but the reverse assumption that if that does not happen then it is not working does not hold.

386-SX 25Mhz VGA
Jan 14, 2003

(C) American Megatrends Inc.,
I got Pfizer 3 the other day, six months after Pfizer 2. I felt drowsy the next day and ended up sleeping 14 hours. The 2nd dose knocked me on my rear end for a few days, but the 3 was hardly noticeable except for the drowsiness.

Pyromancer
Apr 29, 2011

This man must look upon the fire, smell of it, warm his hands by it, stare into its heart

Beartaco posted:

I'm mostly posting for a bit of sympathy because I'm losing my mind. Did anyone else have any nasty side effects from their second jab?
For me 12 hours after second Pfizer temperature jumped to 38.5(that's 101 for Fahrenheit users) and stayed there for the whole night and most of the next day with all the usual fever effects - headache, chills, and so on. Couldn't do anything productive, just slept.

Pyromancer fucked around with this message at 08:58 on Sep 29, 2021

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I got Pfizer and had no problems, just a little sore in the shoulder (as if I’d worked out). Felt great most of the time.

Everyone I know reported about the same, so don’t let that dissuade you. One friend fainted because he was so nervous, which caused a scene

This was my experience with second dose Pfizer as well. I’m still a month out from being able to get my booster, so I’ll be interested to see how that goes.

Was there ever any truth to the idea that people had worse reactions to second doses if they’d as asymptomatic cases? My BIL thinks he caught it end of 2020 (works at a military site) and got completely wrecked by his 2nd shot.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

EVIL Gibson posted:

You can’t apologize for “the rough opening” and then immediately double down with your bullshit.

gently caress off with this, they were just looking to vent and find solace in like minded individuals, they didn’t need a loving glasses-pushed-up-nose Dad lecture. Be better.

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

Tagra posted:

So this is fun and absolutely won't erode trust in vaccine passports.
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/calgary/portpass-privacy-breach-1.6191749

I wonder if it was something as amateur as the ID number being the URL?

It'll be an unsecured cloud storage or database, it always is on these loving cowboy apps.

The article mentions it was recommended by a few organisations, which suggests it wasn't actually an official thing - is there an official (i.e. government-supported/mandated) equivalent? And assuming it was non-official Canadians are just too bloody nice, uploading an entire identity theft starter kit to some random app just because it seemed like the right thing to do rather than actually being forced to or anything.

e: Doh, the article does actually say there's no official app

Fleta Mcgurn
Oct 5, 2003

Porpoise noise continues.

Corn Glizzy posted:

You can’t apologize for “the rough opening” and then immediately double down with your bullshit.

gently caress off with this, they were just looking to vent and find solace in like minded individuals, they didn’t need a loving glasses-pushed-up-nose Dad lecture. Be better.

You've received an apology. Take further discussion to PMs; this doesn't need to escalate.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

Late, but chiming in that Moderna side effects kicked my rear end on both shot 1 and 2. And I'm currently deciding if I can be patient and wait for 3rd shot approval or just jump the line, fully expecting to feel like poo poo again. I scheduled extra days off after shot 2, which is good because it took me like a week to feel normal again. I'm hoping shot 3 won't be as bad, but considering almost half the US is in a loving deathcult I'm definitely going for a booster of some kind.

AHH F/UGH
May 25, 2002

Saw these at my gym tonight. I took all of these flyers, as well as a KNOW YOUR RIGHTS thing that I could only assume was about masks" and balled them up and threw them in the bin

Snowglobe of Doom
Mar 30, 2012

sucks to be right

AHH F/UGH posted:

Saw these at my gym tonight. I took all of these flyers, as well as a KNOW YOUR RIGHTS thing that I could only assume was about masks" and balled them up and threw them in the bin

Gotta give them props for that Patreon hustle though

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

Fleta Mcgurn posted:

You've received an apology. Take further discussion to PMs; this doesn't need to escalate.

Sorry, I didn’t like the non-apology apology, point taken though!

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Corn Glizzy posted:

This was my experience with second dose Pfizer as well. I’m still a month out from being able to get my booster, so I’ll be interested to see how that goes.

Was there ever any truth to the idea that people had worse reactions to second doses if they’d as asymptomatic cases? My BIL thinks he caught it end of 2020 (works at a military site) and got completely wrecked by his 2nd shot.

First dose, not second. The idea was that the immune system had already been trained and so reacted to the first like it would the second if somebody hadn't had COVID.

Cthulu Carl
Apr 16, 2006

Lmao, the network engineer who knows the most about our network got Covid for a second time, got pneumonia from it, and it's also loving up his pancreas so he's in the hospital.

I'm glad he hasn't been in the office since August because he'd always waltz into our area maskless bitching about masks and vaccine mandates. So take a guess on whether or not he's vaccinated!

He's also fat as gently caress, so I guess RIP him and RIP our network soon after!

Platystemon
Feb 13, 2012

BREADS
Your boss is like: “‘Bus factor’? Is that some old Rogan show?”

GenericOverusedName
Nov 24, 2009

KUVA TEAM EPIC
Moderna dose one gave me a sore arm, no worse than what I usually get from flu shots.

Dose two had me groggy and tired throughout the day, then laying on the bathroom floor that night, too dizzy and feverish and pukey to want to move. Floor felt good. Didn't get my temperature but based on the symptoms it was probably way too high.

I was back to normal by the morning, just tired from lack of sleep and with a sore arm.

My partner was just a little woozy but was mostly bothered by arm soreness.

Despite the experience, I'm planning on getting my boosters when it gets recommended for my demographic. Would rather have a terrible day or two than get mangled by the actual disease.

EL BROMANCE
Jun 10, 2006

COWABUNGA DUDES!
🥷🐢😬

Covid must truly be over if we’re back to trip reports again.

Tagra
Apr 7, 2006

If you gaze long into an abyss, the abyss will gaze back into you.

goddamnedtwisto posted:

It'll be an unsecured cloud storage or database, it always is on these loving cowboy apps.

The article mentions it was recommended by a few organisations, which suggests it wasn't actually an official thing - is there an official (i.e. government-supported/mandated) equivalent? And assuming it was non-official Canadians are just too bloody nice, uploading an entire identity theft starter kit to some random app just because it seemed like the right thing to do rather than actually being forced to or anything.

e: Doh, the article does actually say there's no official app

In BC it's a QR code with confirmation of the dates and times of your injections, which you're supposed to pair with picture ID to get in a door. The person at the door may or may not actually scan the QR code to confirm it's legit and not a Rick Astley link.
(So far all but one place has done a full scan check so faking one seems like a huge gamble for now, at least. It's going to turn into the liquor store in no time though, where they have signs everywhere saying "WE ALWAYS CHECK YOUR ID!!!" and then the only ones who do are the ones on their first day working the till. No one ever thinks I'm too young to buy booze :smith: )

We do, however, have a BC services app that requires you to take a video of yourself to verify your identity and connect to your poo poo, and then it resides on your phone and can act as a primary ID. Everyone seems to think it's a pain in the rear end to set up but then it's great, but I am too old and curmudgeonly to like having primary ID on my phone :tinfoil:

teen witch
Oct 9, 2012
bought my tickets to see my mom and I’m no poo poo crying. I’m just happy I get to see my mom, and hopefully my sister and my grandpa. This is so silly and mopey but gently caress I’ve never wanted to see my family so bad. It’ll be nearly two years. I’ve never gone that long before.

I didn’t get to say goodbye to my dog before she passed and hell, I’m still a bit tore up about it. My moms close friend passed too, but of cancer, and it was so quick. I wish I could have told her thank you for being there for my mom, through some real poo poo periods, when I was far too young to understand.

I’ve taken two Pfizer doses here and hell I might see how I can get a booster, either in Sweden or the US. I will walk up to a CVS counter and demand all the drat shots they have. Make me look like Pinhead. I never want to loving deal with this again.

And so help me, so help me the first schnook who says a goddamn thing about vaccines or masks or whatever.

The Modern Leper
Dec 25, 2008

You must be a masochist
https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58705938

Vitamin A treatment trial for Covid loss of smell

The University of East Anglia is conducting a 12-week trial... Lead researcher Prof Carl Philpott, from UEA's Norwich Medical School and James Paget University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "We want to find out whether there is an increase in the size and activity of damaged smell pathways in patients' brains when they are treated with vitamin-A nasal drops.

Is the University of East Anglia legit? I know someone who had a breakthrough case (5 months after second dose) and lost their sense of smell and taste. Too soon to tell if it's a permanent concern (I've seen reports of recovery after about a month), but losing them has been devastating to him in a way that you wouldn't necessarily think of, but that makes sense when you think about how much pleasure can be tied to smells and tastes.

It feels like a "can't hurt" situation, but I don't want to give him false hope on yet another fake home remedy.

EDIT: Added timing of breakthrough case re talk around boosters.

The Modern Leper fucked around with this message at 18:15 on Sep 29, 2021

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

The Modern Leper posted:

https://www.bbc.com/news/health-58705938

Vitamin A treatment trial for Covid loss of smell

The University of East Anglia is conducting a 12-week trial... Lead researcher Prof Carl Philpott, from UEA's Norwich Medical School and James Paget University Hospitals NHS Trust, said: "We want to find out whether there is an increase in the size and activity of damaged smell pathways in patients' brains when they are treated with vitamin-A nasal drops.

Is the University of East Anglia legit? I know someone who had a breakthrough case (5 months after second dose) and lost their sense of smell and taste. Too soon to tell if it's a permanent concern (I've seen reports of recovery after about a month), but losing them has been devastating to him in a way that you wouldn't necessarily think of, but that makes sense when you think about how much pleasure can be tied to smells and tastes.

It feels like a "can't hurt" situation, but I don't want to give him false hope on yet another fake home remedy.

EDIT: Added timing of breakthrough case re talk around boosters.

Well they're a real university, although most famous for the Climategate email hack, and almost bankrupting themselves building a satellite campus (with huge accommodation tower block) in London that was used in lots of "scare the white people" stories when their prayer room wasn't opened in time so a few hundred Muslim international students did their prayers on the street outside the tiny local mosque across the street.

(I'm being harsh on them, the whole reason why Climategate was such a big thing was that UEA is a world leader on research into climate change - they're pretty legit at least in that field, I've no idea what their medical department is like)

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

AHH F/UGH posted:

When I get my booster shot will I be operating at 7.5G

Rescue Toaster
Mar 13, 2003

teen witch posted:

bought my tickets to see my mom and I’m no poo poo crying. I’m just happy I get to see my mom, and hopefully my sister and my grandpa. This is so silly and mopey but gently caress I’ve never wanted to see my family so bad. It’ll be nearly two years. I’ve never gone that long before.

I didn’t get to say goodbye to my dog before she passed and hell, I’m still a bit tore up about it. My moms close friend passed too, but of cancer, and it was so quick. I wish I could have told her thank you for being there for my mom, through some real poo poo periods, when I was far too young to understand.

I’ve taken two Pfizer doses here and hell I might see how I can get a booster, either in Sweden or the US. I will walk up to a CVS counter and demand all the drat shots they have. Make me look like Pinhead. I never want to loving deal with this again.

And so help me, so help me the first schnook who says a goddamn thing about vaccines or masks or whatever.

Good luck. Luckily I haven't lost anybody to COVID but I'm resigned I'll never see my awesome grandmother in person again (she's 101).

Me and my wife are high risk and my parents are the only ones able/willing to quarantine & do PCR tests before visiting us. Thankfully they'll be able to come down again at least once more this year, after that I'm sure we'll see nobody in person until spring at least. My wife's family can't even be bothered to skip going to restaurants unmasked for a week before visiting so we only see them masked and outside on the patio. It's been brutal for her when they keep asking for a hug or something and she has to say no.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah UEA by reputation in the UK is that it is one of the 'good' universities, ie middle class academic university that does research rather than a (perfectly good, I currently study at one) job training company that is called a university due to government policy.

Strategic Tea fucked around with this message at 19:20 on Sep 29, 2021