Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: Stereotype)

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

And then they'll pay. Then they'll all pay...

"who's going to pay for it?" i say as sun sets on the human empire

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mike the TV
Jan 14, 2008

Ninety-nine ninety-nine ninety-nine

Pillbug

toggle posted:

i watched planet of the humans before bed last night lmao

we really are pests. but at what point will people start to panic? if at all?

The windshield phenomenon is good at getting old people to have a little crack ping, although it won't change anything.

In 10 years it'll be "man, remember the last time you saw a frog?"

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

toggle posted:

i watched planet of the humans before bed last night lmao

we really are pests. but at what point will people start to panic? if at all?

QCS is currently saying that doomerism inevitably leads to calls for violence so all doomerism should be banned, that's about where the lib brain is at

Shifty Nipples
Apr 8, 2007

Pretty lmao about Rime making this thread and then linking to it in qcs. lol.

tiberion02
Mar 26, 2007

People tend to make the common mistake of believing that a situation will last forever.

Funky See Funky Do posted:

lmao rime what are you doing advertising this thread in the QCS shooting thread while making a bid for cspam mod?

His duty o7

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the violence of environmental deprivation on the world’s poor has never bothered the liberal conscience

Alobar
Jun 21, 2011

Are you proud of me?

Are you proud of what I do?

I'll try to be a better man than the one that you knew.

Tekne posted:

the violence of environmental deprivation on the world’s poor has never bothered the liberal conscience

omfg can you please stop talking about how bad things are? we're supposed to be at brunch right now for gently caress's. sake. :supaburn:

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

the spinach in this omelette was harvested by an undocumented teen making peanuts for backbreaking labor and the chicken farm that produced the eggs was shutdown due to an outbreak of avian -

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

today was a good day to finish reading parable of the sower for the first time

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

EvilJoven posted:

You know what else is spreading like wildfire in a lot of places?

Wildfire.

lmao

lol

That Spooky Witch
Jun 16, 2017

All hail the triune god

IAMKOREA posted:

A goon who posted in the cool zone thread shot a proud boy during a protest, also he looks like a loving dork and it's loving hilarious. He made a sock puppet account to post about it. The guy he shot is named "tiny toes". Check the succ zone thread. This is literally the creation of new SA lore on the level of groverhaus and it's happening right now and it's amazing.

lmao

Radical 90s Wizard
Aug 5, 2008

~SS-18 burning bright,
Bathe me in your cleansing light~
Holy poo poo lol I was reading that thread when he posted "analysis" of the shooter(himself). It seemed kinda overblown and hyperbolic but I figured it was just goons being melodramatic.

Coolzone thread was a funny read but i'll be genuinely bummed if this thread bites it.

Mola Yam
Jun 18, 2004

Kali Ma Shakti de!

mlmp08 posted:

just in case someone was thinking they could pin their hopes on literal magic or intervention by a pantheon of gods or something, the UK took care of that:

https://twitter.com/inthesedeserts/status/1442859029072580613?s=21

"The white stag in Celtic myth is an indicator that the Otherworld is near. It appears when one is transgressing a taboo"

https://www.ancienttexts.org/library/celtic/jce/whitestag.html

The Protagonist
Jun 29, 2009

The average is 5.5? I thought it was 4. This is very unsettling.
limey pigs shooting dead an honest to god mythological icon is just too on the nose

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

The Protagonist posted:

limey pigs shooting dead an honest to god mythological icon is just too on the nose

I can't get over it

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Are we legit gonna have to put sarc marks at the end of any post where there's mention of morons who think population is the biggest global warming/climate change problem?

I dont think there's a single person who's posted pro population control poo poo here but apparently fluffdaddy thinks there is? wtf

Irony.or.Death
Apr 1, 2009

that sounds like another manifestation of the weird rear end cult of personality rime has accidentally cultivated in d&d

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

toggle posted:

...but at what point will people start to panic? if at all?

When the current "mildly inconvenincing" shortages turn into habitually predictable ones. When convenience and liquor stores run completely out of booze with no guarantee of routine restocks. There's a reason liquor stores were declared "key & essential" in the earliest days of COVID - local, state, and federal governments didn't want alcoholics going door-to-door asking to buy people's booze, and in extreme cases, breaking into houses to get it. Same with smokers and vapers. Society is largely kept in check by people's vices, both legal and illicit. The addicts are going to be the first to snap.

Also, when people who've never known hunger past "I skipped lunch and had a really small/quick breakfast" become aware what *real* hunger feels like, and you need to line up at the grocery store when the never-guaranteed delivery comes in at like 3-5am, provided it wasn't hijacked en-route. Same for tanker trucks.

I don't want to get super :smith: here, but things are going to get much, much worse. Not probably, *will*. Remember, "it doesn't look that bad yet" to the vast majority of people who think things are ~eventually~ going to get better. We're all going to learn about what it felt like to wait on bread lines in the Soviet Union, probably way sooner than we'd all prefer.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When the current "mildly inconvenincing" shortages turn into habitually predictable ones. When convenience and liquor stores run completely out of product with no guarantee of routine restocks. There's a reason liquor stores were declared "key & essential" in the earliest days of COVID - local, state, and federal governments didn't want alcoholics going door-to-door asking to buy people's booze, and in extreme cases, breaking into houses to get it. Same with smokers and vapers. Society is largely kept in check by people's vices, both legal and illicit. The addicts are going to be the first to snap.

Also, when people who've never known hunger past "I skipped lunch and had a really small/quick breakfast" become aware what *real* hunger feels like, and you need to line up at the grocery store when the never-guaranteed delivery comes in at like 3-5am, provided it wasn't hijacked en-route. Same for tanker trucks.

I don't want to get super :smith: here, but things are going to get much, much worse. Not probably, *will*. Remember, "it doesn't look that bad yet" to the vast majority of people who think things are ~eventually~ going to get better. We're all going to learn about what it felt like to wait on bread lines in the Soviet Union, probably way sooner than we'd all prefer.

Why do you think we lmao-lol - because its all so hosed and its just going to keep getting horrifying and there's nothing that any of us can do about it.

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

it’s an especially shitbrained take as the purpose of degrowth is to minimize mass death as much as possible

maintaining the status quo is literally supporting global genocide of people and every other living thing on the planet

tho I think many white billionaires want exactly that

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

BIG HEADLINE posted:

When the current "mildly inconvenincing" shortages turn into habitually predictable ones. When convenience and liquor stores run completely out of booze with no guarantee of routine restocks. There's a reason liquor stores were declared "key & essential" in the earliest days of COVID - local, state, and federal governments didn't want alcoholics going door-to-door asking to buy people's booze, and in extreme cases, breaking into houses to get it. Same with smokers and vapers. Society is largely kept in check by people's vices, both legal and illicit. The addicts are going to be the first to snap.

You are just saying things we all know. Post this is dnd lol

BIG HEADLINE
Jun 13, 2006

"Stand back, Ottawan ruffian, or face my lumens!"

Tekne posted:

tho I think many white billionaires want exactly that

The third world is going to be forcibly displaced and become the forced labor force for food production for the first world. Almeria is a first-world example that's going to be replicated en masse eventually.

Again, not enough people are talking about this: https://www.amusingplanet.com/2013/08/the-greenhouses-of-almeria.html

https://www.theguardian.com/global-development/2020/sep/20/we-pick-your-food-migrant-workers-speak-out-from-spains-plastic-sea

RC Cola posted:

You are just saying things we all know. Post this is dnd lol

The OP asked "when does everyone panic?"

I was just answering his question. I know it's preaching to the :smith: choir for most everyone in here.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Better start compiling a crack-ping compilation. I find studies from major banks saying "Here's how to profit from the inevitable collapse of America's food supply" are good ones

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy

silicone thrills posted:

Are we legit gonna have to put sarc marks at the end of any post where there's mention of morons who think population is the biggest global warming/climate change problem?

I dont think there's a single person who's posted pro population control poo poo here but apparently fluffdaddy thinks there is? wtf

fluffdaddy is dumb as poo poo but due to D&D mods cultivating a sense of righteous violence and the admin team flipping out about this situation we probably won't get to talk about the climate being hosed openly anymore.

It'll all be extremely moderated D&D style "Only Constructive Posting" where you propose or talk about solutions and hope by law and pretend the problem doesn't exist.

Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Let's all vote for the candidate who will charge a $35/gallon carbon tax on gasoline

Tekne
Feb 15, 2012

It's-a me, motherfucker

cheap (slave) labor is definitely a reason, but good ol’ fashion racism and sadism is a huge motivator too

unchecked emissions are a way to punish former “vassal” states for rejecting american/european rule or having the temerity to catch up with their oppressors

Rectal Death Adept
Jun 20, 2018

by Fluffdaddy
Kamala may be the worst candidate ever put forward for any position in the history of complex life but have you considered Trump will be 10% worse for the environment?

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum

silicone thrills posted:

Reading comprehension has never been strong on the point of differentiating between "earnestly desires a thing" and "explains how and why a thing is going to occur and is largely unavoidable."

LOL'in at Goon Thanos tho, finally got my LMAO hit. :2bong:

Wakko
Jun 9, 2002
Faboo!
you should post in the thread about how hard ur lollin about it

Homocow
Apr 24, 2007

Extremely bad poster!
DO NOT QUOTE!

Pillbug

BIG HEADLINE posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-D2SHNqkjbY

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown
Goon thanos lmao

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
Judge denies application to extend injunction against protests at Fairy Creek

quote:

"On the other hand, methods of enforcement of the court's order have led to serious and substantial infringement of civil liberties, including impairment of the freedom of the press to a marked degree," Thompson said.

"And, enforcement has been carried out by police officers rendered anonymous to the protesters, many of those police officers wearing 'thin blue line' badges. All of this has been done in the name of enforcing this Court's order."

He wrote that the factors in favour of extending the injunction are outweighed by "the public interest in protecting the court from the risk of further depreciation of its reputation."

To date, police have made more than 1,000 arrests in connection with their enforcement of the six-month interlocutory injunction order.

RCMP just got their asses handed to them in the Supreme Court, for six months of brutalizing logging protestors in BC. :unsmith:

Now we see if they obey the courts, or stick around and keep the beatings going.

silicone thrills
Jan 9, 2008

I paint things
Goon Thanos was p funny. Rime just gonna snap his fingats and make all the rich white libs die.

Car Hater
May 7, 2007

wolf. bike.
Wolf. Bike.
Wolf! Bike!
WolfBike!
WolfBike!
ARROOOOOO!

splifyphus posted:

I wrote a bunch about it, it was a really loving intense experience. on the come up I panicked for a while cuz I realized *it* was just gonna be there the whole time, but then I realized that that was just gonna be the trip and I had to roll with it, so I did.

The eliminative materialist guys talk about something called the semantic apocalypse, and this was p much that. Monster-vision. Not only does nothing matter, nothing ever mattered. Not only are humans already extinct, but they never really existed in the first place. Ever since Marx it's been communism or extinction, and the failure of communism also means the failure of humanity to justify its continued existence - or to come into existence at all. In the face of certain extinction, the communist 'ought' looks less like an historical phenomenon and more like an onto-theological feature of the universe itself.

Live that cannot regulate its metabolism with a biosphere dies, and there's nothing bad or sad or wrong about this. Only sufficiently eco-checked or sufficiently communist life persists. Why would anybody want to live in a universe structured differently? How could a universe even be structured differently?

So yeah we've been in a cult for probably our entire existence, and only recently has it been possible to step outside the cult horizon. As for a final message, there's only one lesson we have to impart - if the capitalists come to your world, you must kill them all or perish.

Lol you and I have squabbled over communism and I agree overall having done similar amounts of drugs and writing before so don't want to be a dick but c'mon, you're not cracking your ping hard enough. We've been in a cult/doomed since we split off from chimps instead of bonobos. The wrong lineage spawned from the great apes got going with the big brains, and what resulted is not fit to build [hypothetical sustainable civilization]. And sure, we can call that hypothetical communism if we like, but nothing functional is ever going to come out of the junkie monkey addiction to coal and oil so we can't really imagine/name it.

I mean look at this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_atmospheric_engine

The first coal powered device! What does it do? Drains mines so we can get more coal.

Communism is supposed to come after that, and maintain functionality of the biosphere while uplifting the lifestyle of the dominant species, an animal wired for constant self interest and politicking? Idk, can't buy it. Longevity/Space is for bug people. Hiveism. Stalin with an ovipositor.

Lmao

Whitenoise Poster
Mar 26, 2010

You guys are the experts. Will society hang on long enough for Toby Fox to finish making Deltarune.

bedpan
Apr 23, 2008

I'll miss this thread.

Mayor Dave
Feb 20, 2009

Bernie the Snow Clown

Car Hater posted:

Lol you and I have squabbled over communism and I agree overall having done similar amounts of drugs and writing before so don't want to be a dick but c'mon, you're not cracking your ping hard enough. We've been in a cult/doomed since we split off from chimps instead of bonobos. The wrong lineage spawned from the great apes got going with the big brains, and what resulted is not fit to build [hypothetical sustainable civilization]. And sure, we can call that hypothetical communism if we like, but nothing functional is ever going to come out of the junkie monkey addiction to coal and oil so we can't really imagine/name it.

I mean look at this:
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Newcomen_atmospheric_engine

The first coal powered device! What does it do? Drains mines so we can get more coal.

Communism is supposed to come after that, and maintain functionality of the biosphere while uplifting the lifestyle of the dominant species, an animal wired for constant self interest and politicking? Idk, can't buy it. Longevity/Space is for bug people. Hiveism. Stalin with an ovipositor.

Lmao

The neanderthals and denisovans were supposed to be the chosen ones but we killed them

Lordshmee
Nov 23, 2007

I hate you, Milkman Dan

gay_crimes posted:

god damnit I am almost over 40, I missed this arbitrary cutoff

<——- 41 SUCKERZ!

SKULL.GIF
Jan 20, 2017

I never understood why so many people thought communism would magically preserve the biosphere. There's nothing stopping communism from being just as exploitative of natural resources.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mameluke
Aug 2, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
Rime I thee threadban for the heinous crime of Malthusianism!!!