Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

A big thing I would say is like eve online you can only get so much done alone and even just joining and getting verified in your factions discord will open up so much to you. This war is shaping up to be a long one so you have time to learn before the heavy stuff comes out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Especially doing logi, it seems easy to feel useful even while just doing stuff solo. I spent an hour or so yesterday just trucking scrap metal from fields to the refinery far behind the frontlines, and battle materials from there to the seaport to be shipped out. It's not something I could imagine myself doing exclusively, but it did make me feel better about going down to Saltingrad afterwards and just dicking around and dying repeatedly in the streetfighting there for a while.

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
I have about 40 hours in this game so far over the last three wars. I've joined two different clans (one on discord) so far but haven't really figured out how to use either of them to the advantage of the faction or reliably increasing my fun. My play times are highly irregular and usually pretty short so that's an issue.

Most fun I've ever had has always been when an impromtu ops group was formed, whether we were pushing a base, doing partisan interdiction/vehicle theft or running a large arty barrage. Cooperation is what makes any online game fun IMO.

Last night I ran backline logi. It was cold in the north so I mostly ran around thawing and moving frozen vehicles that were parked in bad places and keeping the fires going in the scrap fields. Hope we get sledges soon so things start moving for real.

I haven't been griefed by nazis yet but I've heard marches played on voice chat.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

I've been having a lot of fun with the game over the last few days playing with Mapgoons. There's definitely some things that are offputting, like the complete focus on bridge chokepoints and apparently devs stalling out the war by direct action, but there's a lot of fun things to see and do in the game. I've tried checking out logistics a few times but it's intensely awful to interact with for me and I hate it, but I do love the idea of partisan action and I'm putting together a gameplan for low-prep insertions to harass supply lines by dropping goons off in transports and breaking through the pillbox lines to hit the roads.

Maybe next war we'll switch to play with the main goon group on the Warden side!

Invalido
Dec 28, 2005

BICHAELING
At some point I want to be part of a group partisan bicycle op. Probably not super effective but probably fun. Also potentially quiet and faster than a logi truck offroad.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
I had a blast playing Logi in the northern backfield with the Warden goons last night. I got a basic covered truck stuck between a tree and a bunker though. Everyone said it wasn't a big deal and it happens, but I felt kinda guilty+wasteful so I went and did 5 dump trucks of scrap to ease my conscience. Also someone put up a sign near my stuck truck as a monument to my mishap :ohdear:

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The important thing was you learned right?

Right?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

I had my s\butt\components\ saved yesterday by goons and the logi channel in the Wardens discord. I was on the end of an oilwell=>refinery=>petrol=>components mine=>factory run, when I ran my truck into the shallows next to a dock on the last leg. It wasn't underwater, but it was thoroughly stuck. Furthermore, I needed to get offline for my daughter's birthday (went great!) Pokchu and some other logi players went to the site, swam to the truck, unloaded it a crate at a time, and sent it off to do the faction good.

That was nice.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Oh lol.

One other tip in that situation is sometimes you can package the truck and lift it out with a crane.

Loren
Nov 9, 2005
Master of Chaos
The best moment in my stuck truck saga was coming back to it an hour later and trying to maneuver it out again. Passersby commented, "He's still at it."

My goal for tonight is to make a batch of stuff that the Goon base has need of and drive it all the way to the base. I know that loading it up in the Seaport and putting a massive load of cargo is more efficient, but I want to see the map and have a supply truck driver adventure just for the experience(and needed driving practice, apparently). Is that totally a dumb thing to do?

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Oh lol.

One other tip in that situation is sometimes you can package the truck and lift it out with a crane.

Wait. You can do this? I can make a towing service? Hot diggity

Danann
Aug 4, 2013

Loren posted:

The best moment in my stuck truck saga was coming back to it an hour later and trying to maneuver it out again. Passersby commented, "He's still at it."

My goal for tonight is to make a batch of stuff that the Goon base has need of and drive it all the way to the base. I know that loading it up in the Seaport and putting a massive load of cargo is more efficient, but I want to see the map and have a supply truck driver adventure just for the experience(and needed driving practice, apparently). Is that totally a dumb thing to do?

Once or twice for a gimmick is fun. Doing it repeatedly is how you get burned out which is why freighter logistics and flatbeds are such a big deal.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
when the gently caress do we get mortar tubes thats my favorite thing

mortar squads are so much drat fun

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
When Lockheed gets assaulted you can man the mortar hours. 100m range of pinpoint mortar accuracy, where you’re both spotter and shooter.

We just need to cram it full of mortar shells before hand.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

pokchu posted:

When Lockheed gets assaulted you can man the mortar hours. 100m range of pinpoint mortar accuracy, where you’re both spotter and shooter.

We just need to cram it full of mortar shells before hand.

Wait.

The town mortar towers actually give you line of sight? While you're on the mortar?

:wow:

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
So with us growing larger and more active, it might be time to start thinking of what the future looks like. We're starting to experience some growing pains and some questions as to what needs to be done/who should do it/what people want to do, etc.

With that in mind, should we start "organizing" the group more? At the very least we're running into issues with squad chat filling up, but simply starting a second one isn't necessarily a great option. GOON-LOGI and GOON-FITE or something can be used to delineate those who are doing different things, or we can try to enforce strict squad leaving upon quitting for the evening/session.

If we want to be more structured, should we have any leadership, or responsibility "roles?" The flip side of the coin is that this is a game, not a job, and people are here to enjoy themselves. If so, how would we like to go about it? I know everyone has what they want to do and what they don't want to do, and trying to force people into the latter in order to "pay their dues" is a fast track to people burning out and quitting. But for instance, I like scrapping and building at the factories, and laying out bunkers and that kind of infrastructure, and especially artillery. Long-haul freighting is not my favorite activity, and I'm not great at organizing armor ops, or fighting ops in general.

I don't have any answers, and I'm certainly not trying to usurp a position of authority, but as we get bigger, there's more stress and expectation on people who may have taken on a de facto leadership role, but may not always want to herd cats while they're trying to enjoy themselves by playing a video game.

I guess the point of this rambling post is to pose a question: Do we need more organization, structure, and defined leadership, or are things going well enough being run ad hoc by whoever steps up at any given moment?

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
mortar house?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Squad TUKACHESVK will lose the war slower.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Volmarias posted:

Wait. You can do this? I can make a towing service? Hot diggity

Yup. It's also common practice at some of the more notorious bridge crossings to leave a crane there for this exact purpose.

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

I have done nothing but run the Jade Cove factories, ya'll got close, but the ammo never stopped coming off the line.

LightRailTycoon
Mar 24, 2017
All squads must be named with a Soviet theme, comrades.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

quote:

I guess the point of this rambling post is to pose a question: Do we need more organization, structure, and defined leadership, or are things going well enough being run ad hoc by whoever steps up at any given moment?

I don't think we need any organization. We certainly can have some but I'm mostly just showing up for a couple hours randomly to drag scrap and shoot collies, and sometimes partisans turn that into doing both!

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:
At the very least I think we need to use discord rather than in game voice. People are starting to get left out, and the quality and attenuation are awful. And losing voice between zone changes, etc

pokchu
Aug 22, 2007
D:

Volmarias posted:

Wait.

The town mortar towers actually give you line of sight? While you're on the mortar?

:wow:

Yeah, buddy! It’s basically like having binoculars that when you click on someone, a mortar lands on their head

bird food bathtub
Aug 9, 2003

College Slice
I can definitely see the value in GOON-LOGI and GOON-FIGHT or whatever squad names. We're maxing out one squad and it would reduce cross-talk.

Edit.

pokchu posted:

At the very least I think we need to use discord rather than in game voice. People are starting to get left out, and the quality and attenuation are awful. And losing voice between zone changes, etc

That's actually probably even better. In game voice crashing kinda blows. Whole poo poo ton faster and easier to switch too.

bird food bathtub fucked around with this message at 00:44 on Sep 29, 2021

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

pokchu posted:

Yeah this is something I brought up a few pages back, I think what you're saying is the best course of action: using discord for role specific groups, probably using in game squad chat for whatever local squad or maybe goon op we're doing. Ive definitely felt the stretching as we grow and you're right I think separating voips would focus those wanting a specific experience that time they play. I know I prefer Frontline, patrols, while throwing in woth helping logi from time to time. I think we have some discord channels we can use for this though

SeanBeansShako
Nov 20, 2009

Now the Drums beat up again,
For all true Soldier Gentlemen.
The only advantage really of one big in game squad is it easy to help teach new players to a degree.

I feel Discord is nice to use for when we do something big together. No issues with their being a logistics focused squad and a fighting focused squad as we're getting quite full with one big one.

No harm at least idling it in it now either way.

Maybe we should plan one weekend big operation too, we've got the operations channel to hash out something.

I felt wretched trying to set up a raid and it just turning into driving in circles, it is not my strong point and where we are stationed in a rather stalemate situation.

I wouldn't mind if more goons stepped up in the whole invite/showing the ropes thing in the NA time zone side of things too.

Gamerofthegame
Oct 28, 2010

Could at least flip one or two, maybe.

Demiurge4 posted:

Maybe next war we'll switch to play with the main goon group on the Warden side!

lmao no we won't

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

Gamerofthegame posted:

lmao no we won't

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

i respected you!!!

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

Yeah, no, I'm like collies way way more.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
colonial goons have been using discord since minute zero, make of that what you will.

Amazing Member
Apr 4, 2008

SeanBeansShako posted:

I felt wretched trying to set up a raid and it just turning into driving in circles, it is not my strong point and where we are stationed in a rather stalemate situation.

Just call it a patrol and we'll find trouble eventually anyways

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011

verbal enema posted:

i respected you!!!

I just follow in lockstep with the rest of mapgoons and the siren call of @foxrole, quick game of Foxhole?

Krataar
Sep 13, 2011

Drums in the deep

OoohU posted:

colonial goons have been using discord since minute zero, make of that what you will.

Do you have a link to the discord?

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
mapgoons thread in PGS. (link: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3973361)

karmicknight fucked around with this message at 04:41 on Sep 29, 2021

karmicknight
Aug 21, 2011
I worked very hard on that op for a whole like 5 minutes plus revisions.

Sachant
Apr 27, 2011

I'd honestly be worried if there was a game without at least two goon groups completely at odds with one another. I'm enjoying Wardens though. I originally thought it would be full of Gamers but it doesn't seem particularly worse than any other PvP game.

Demiurge4
Aug 10, 2011

Like at best the Mapgoons group is a hodgepodge of players trying out different activities. We have I think two logipilled turbo nerds who enjoy driving trucks to the front lines and I've been getting more and more into the building side of things so maybe I'll look at building a forward post somewhere. But basically we're all super casual about it and any organization will be loose at best.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Drone
Aug 22, 2003

Incredible machine
:smug:

Demiurge4 posted:

But basically we're all super casual about it and any organization will be loose at best.

We are still in flavor of the week territory but I will say, for one of our FotW's, this one has had surprising popularity and staying power.