Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Gaius Marius posted:

Nocturnes dungeons are a hell of a lot more memorable than iv's

yep and a lot better too. the best in the series quite easily in fact

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Gaius Marius posted:

This is less a praise of Nocturne and more an indictment of 4.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
The Diet building owns, I love its silly optical illusion poo poo

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Tarezax posted:

The Diet building owns, I love its silly optical illusion poo poo

I loved how petty those statues were.

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Best dungeon in Nocturne is Amala Temple and then the rest.

The prison always leaves me lost but the idea is pretty neat. And while the Obelisk is simple, it doesn't need to be complicated. It's a big loving tower you climb and has amazing atmosphere. That's all you need.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

insane to say this after someone just mentioned diet building, the best dungeon of all time in history.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

I prefer the regular building honestly. The diet one tastes too metallic.

cheetah7071
Oct 20, 2010

honk honk
College Slice
I liked the uh manakin shrine that I forget the name of

it's only like three rooms but they look gorgeous

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

cheetah7071 posted:

I liked the uh manakin shrine that I forget the name of

it's only like three rooms but they look gorgeous

Honestly, I think Nocturne peaks with Amala Temple and Mifunashiro. Given how bad the final dungeon is and how all the endings suck, you can probably justify just stopping after them.

I just noticed from my last two runs that my enthusiasm for the game really takes a dive after how perfect Mifunashiro was.

Detective No. 27
Jun 7, 2006

Nocturne is peak art design.

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
:yeah:

Snake Maze
Jul 13, 2016

3.85 Billion years ago
  • Having seen the explosion on the moon, the Devil comes to Venus

NikkolasKing posted:

Given how bad the final dungeon is and how all the endings suck, you can probably justify just stopping after them.

The fact you can say this, then turn around and praise the writing in 4A, really just goes to show that true communication between human beings is impossible due to the vast and incomprehensible gulf between minds.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

Snake Maze posted:

The fact you can say this, then turn around and praise the writing in 4A, really just goes to show that true communication between human beings is impossible due to the vast and incomprehensible gulf between minds.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
New footage streaming now
https://twitch.tv/amazonmusicjp

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

I think it might be because so much of my memory of 4 is actually wandering through the overworld and various areas and not really the "dungeons" where Nocturne feels All Dungeon Always, often with very annoying gimmicks

Like, are the dungeons in Nocturne better? Probably, but it feels like the game is entirely dungeon in a way 4 didn't. Maybe it's the random battles? Maybe I'm remembering stuff as "overworld" which was just a reskinned, open air dungeon.

Man I already love the look and atmosphere of this game which is tough to see with a Switch game in 2021. Great soundtrack too

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

the more dungeons in a dungeon crawler, the better. lets hear it for nocturne

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1NrtymCubXA

Huh, Cissy Jones.

MegaZeroX
Dec 11, 2013

"I'm Jack Frost, ho! Nice to meet ya, hee ho!"

Stux posted:

the more dungeons in a dungeon crawler, the better. lets hear it for nocturne

SMT IV had 10 "regions", plus the two starting dungeons and 2 final dungeons.

The regions being:
  • Naraku
  • Kiccigiorgi
  • Ueno
  • Chiyoda
  • Shinjuku
  • Ikebukuro
  • Roppongi
  • Ginza
  • Ichigaya
  • Blasted Tokyo
  • Infernal Tokyo
  • Tokyo Bay Area
  • Lucifer's Palace
  • Purgatorium

Most areas include several sub areas, like Roppongi including Shibuya, Miyashita Park, the Midtown dungeon, and the Reverse Hills dungeon.

So, a conservative estimate would be 14 dungeons, but expanding the regions out would give something like 40ish dungeons as a liberal estimate.

This of course isn't counting the demon domains, and the overworld itself.

Nocturne has, most liberally, 19 dungeons:

• Shinjuku Medical Center
  • Shibuya
  • The Amala Network (in 2 parts)
  • Labyrinth of Amala
  • Ginza
  • Great Underpass of Ginza
  • Ikebukuro
  • Manta Headquarters
  • The Assembly of Nihilo (2 parts)
  • Kabukicho Prison
  • Ikebukuro Tunnel
  • Asakusa
  • The Obelisk
  • Asakusa Tunnel
  • Yoyogi Park
  • Mifunashiro
  • Yurakucho Tunnel
  • The Diet Building
  • The Tower of Kagatsuhi

But of course, if we count Shibuya, Ginza, Ikebukuro, The Mantra Headquarters, Asakusa, and Yurakucho Tunnel, then we would have to use the more liberal ~40 dungeon definition for SMT IV. If we go with the conservative definition, then it only has 13 dungeons.

Numerically, IV wins either way.

I would say quality-wise as well, since honestly all of the tunnels in nocturne feel the same, and the town areas are sameish as well outside of Asakusa. SMT IV's dungeons all have distinctive feels, and even the subareas within it feel distinctive (eg: the color changing in Naraku as you delve deeper).

Nocturne just had mega-long dungeons, like the final dungeon and The Obelisk.

Stux
Nov 17, 2006

MegaZeroX posted:

SMT IV had 10 "regions", plus the two starting dungeons and 2 final dungeons.

The regions being:
  • Naraku
  • Kiccigiorgi
  • Ueno
  • Chiyoda
  • Shinjuku
  • Ikebukuro
  • Roppongi
  • Ginza
  • Ichigaya
  • Blasted Tokyo
  • Infernal Tokyo
  • Tokyo Bay Area
  • Lucifer's Palace
  • Purgatorium

Most areas include several sub areas, like Roppongi including Shibuya, Miyashita Park, the Midtown dungeon, and the Reverse Hills dungeon.

So, a conservative estimate would be 14 dungeons, but expanding the regions out would give something like 40ish dungeons as a liberal estimate.

This of course isn't counting the demon domains, and the overworld itself.

Nocturne has, most liberally, 19 dungeons:

• Shinjuku Medical Center
  • Shibuya
  • The Amala Network (in 2 parts)
  • Labyrinth of Amala
  • Ginza
  • Great Underpass of Ginza
  • Ikebukuro
  • Manta Headquarters
  • The Assembly of Nihilo (2 parts)
  • Kabukicho Prison
  • Ikebukuro Tunnel
  • Asakusa
  • The Obelisk
  • Asakusa Tunnel
  • Yoyogi Park
  • Mifunashiro
  • Yurakucho Tunnel
  • The Diet Building
  • The Tower of Kagatsuhi

But of course, if we count Shibuya, Ginza, Ikebukuro, The Mantra Headquarters, Asakusa, and Yurakucho Tunnel, then we would have to use the more liberal ~40 dungeon definition for SMT IV. If we go with the conservative definition, then it only has 13 dungeons.

Numerically, IV wins either way.

I would say quality-wise as well, since honestly all of the tunnels in nocturne feel the same, and the town areas are sameish as well outside of Asakusa. SMT IV's dungeons all have distinctive feels, and even the subareas within it feel distinctive (eg: the color changing in Naraku as you delve deeper).

Nocturne just had mega-long dungeons, like the final dungeon and The Obelisk.

nocturne has more and better dungeons

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

It's not in the trailer but Casey Mongillo is the Protagonist's voice actor, it seems. They voiced Shinji in the recent Evangelion dub.
https://twitter.com/CaseyTheVA/status/1443215508749180935?s=20

Tired Moritz
Mar 25, 2012

wish Lowtax would get tired of YOUR POSTS

(n o i c e)
I dont recognize any of the VAs except Laura Post

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TurnipFritter posted:

It's not in the trailer but Casey Mongillo is the Protagonist's voice actor, it seems. They voiced Shinji in the recent Evangelion dub.

*fuses Mara*

"...I'm so hosed up."

NikkolasKing
Apr 3, 2010

Let's see...

Laura Post (Nuwa) is Mai in Jujitsu Kaisen. That's cool, she was one of the characters I found most interesting
Mark Whitten (Yuzuru) was Leslie in FFVIIR and Rag in Nocturne Remaster.
Jeannie Tirado (Tao) was Zera in Fairy Tail. That's pretty neat.
Daman Mills (Aogami) was Mustard and Moonfish in MHA.

That's all I got.

Regardless, they sound decent enough and I'm sure it'll be fine. Haven't heard a bad SMT dub yet.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!

TurnipFritter posted:

https://twitter.com/CaseyTheVA/status/1443215508749180935?s=20

Okay, that's super cool. Everyone in the actual trailer just got a 'yeah, that's probably fine' response. I was more interested in the music, honestly. But Casey's cool.

EDIT: And I did just realize that this casting brings a whole new dimension to that speculation on if the protagonist's demon form is female.

Cleretic fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Sep 29, 2021

TurnipFritter
Apr 21, 2010
10,000 POSTS ON TALKING TIME

New demon: Jirae Kaya-no-Hime

ChaosArgate
Oct 10, 2012

Why does everyone think I'm going to get in trouble?

Funky Valentine posted:

*fuses Mara*

"...I'm so hosed up."

“I’m the lowest of the low.”*

Item Getter
Dec 14, 2015
From the brief trailer it looks like they no longer have Orders from Above to pronounce everyone's name in a really stupid way. (By the way was that still an issue in P5R and P5S dubs?)

I feel like dungeon crawling is a core part of the series identity as much as demons and the rest. IV might have had a large number of areas but a lot of them felt like a small random handful of streets with maybe a 1-way wall you need to break down once in a while. They didn't really feel memorable or satisfying at all like the previous games. And then the Domains were a pretty obvious cop-out and cost saving measure.
Though even if it doesn't have "real" dungeons I would probably be a lot more forgiving of V just because it's a gorgeous big budget modern SMT while IV felt like a big step backwards from Nocturne technically.

Spermando
Jun 13, 2009
https://twitter.com/AdsIrish/status/1442232746445737992?s=19
Good to see Dagda is still getting work.

wologar
Feb 11, 2014

නෝනාවරුනි

Excellent. I wish Wicker Man got a redesign like this.

GimmickMan
Dec 27, 2011

Nocturne doesn't have Tsukiji Konganji or YHVH's universe so it has the better dungeons.

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nocturne dungeons own, as does the writing in 4A

Truspeaker
Jan 28, 2009

Loved that character in Chrono Cross

Box of Bunnies
Apr 3, 2012

by Pragmatica

TurnipFritter posted:

The protagonist is worthy of Aogami's grace

CharlieFoxtrot
Mar 27, 2007

organize digital employees

Hmm should I play with English or Japanese voices

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

No voices

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

CharlieFoxtrot posted:

Hmm should I play with English or Japanese voices

Neutral Spanish.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Each dungeon feels distinct and has a hook
Dickhead kaiwan, the Moirae's sisters puzzle thing, the prisons reverse side.

In IV only naraku and reverse hills have any real strong hooks. The most complicated most the game gets is one way doors and fall downs.

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

English

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
It depends on how talky the battles are. Repetitive lines are much more tolerable if you can’t understand the words

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

YggiDee
Sep 12, 2007

WASP CREW
For me it's the opposite, if there's a lot of battle chatter I need to know what they're saying, and that's usually stuff that doesn't get subtitles. It's half of what turned me off Tokyo Mirage Sessions.