Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.

pentyne posted:

The episode with the Markabs essentially committing self-genocide because they refuse to believe the truth about a disease is over 25 years old and if they did it again today people would lose their poo poo on them for being "political" and it would be just glorious to watch unfold. Of all the things to change, remaking that episode and keeping to the original plot would be amazing.

I never read or heard anything about the background for that episode, but the context in the mid 90s make me think that AIDS was likely a factor in writing the story.

I just watched that recently and it definitely has a feeling of being a AIDS allegory especially because they think its a moral failing which is what people thought about AIDS during the 80s 90s and even now. It was really good.

Its interesting to me because I think its the episode that shows the show isn't afraid to end on a total downer. A lot of episodes end on a downer or on a "no real ground was made".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

Hollismason posted:

Holy poo poo Episode 10 of Season 3 is loving intense! this isn't even a mid season finale. Shits going out of control!

Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

LionArcher
Mar 29, 2010

JMS kept saying stop giving him casting ideas and story elements last night on twitter because as soon as somebody lets him know of something he can't use it. It was pretty funny.

That being said,

Matt Smith as Bester, (or if gender swapped, Sarah Paulson)

David Tennet as a techno Mage.

Billie Piper as Tali Winters.

Taissa Farmiga as somebody.

Even Peter's as somebody.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Those scenes where the shadow ships awaken on Mars and fly off are still amazing despite the cg because of the care that goes into the framing and composition. That Martian horizon is so bleak and creepy.

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

I just watched that recently and it definitely has a feeling of being a AIDS allegory especially because they think its a moral failing which is what people thought about AIDS during the 80s 90s and even now. It was really good.

Its interesting to me because I think its the episode that shows the show isn't afraid to end on a total downer. A lot of episodes end on a downer or on a "no real ground was made".

Garibaldi hesitating before helping up the bleeding Markab was absolutely a "I don't want to catch this" moment before he grabbed him and helped him up.

Keep forgetting the name of the other race that was basically being slowly wiped out and was trying to desperately hide their historical genocide, up to trying to murder people looking into it.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pentyne posted:

Garibaldi hesitating before helping up the bleeding Markab was absolutely a "I don't want to catch this" moment before he grabbed him and helped him up.

Keep forgetting the name of the other race that was basically being slowly wiped out and was trying to desperately hide their historical genocide, up to trying to murder people looking into it.

The Hyach; they refused to hand over medical records to Franklin because it would reveal the genocide, and the fact that by having done so, they had caused a population decline spiral in their own species.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Just thinking about it gives me goosebumps.

If you value your lives, be somewhere else.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

MadHat posted:

I actually always go back to ISN being raided.

HUGE SPACEKABLOOIE
Mar 31, 2010

MadHat posted:

Ahh yes, the sound you hear when DeLenn decides to drop her sizable dick on the table

ANOTHER SCORCHER
Aug 12, 2018

pentyne posted:

The episode with the Markabs essentially committing self-genocide because they refuse to believe the truth about a disease is over 25 years old and if they did it again today people would lose their poo poo on them for being "political" and it would be just glorious to watch unfold. Of all the things to change, remaking that episode and keeping to the original plot would be amazing.

I never read or heard anything about the background for that episode, but the context in the mid 90s make me think that AIDS was likely a factor in writing the story.

It is very clearly a clumsy AIDS allegory, the disease was common among a “sexually deviant” minority and contracting it was shameful.

TK-42-1
Oct 30, 2013

looks like we have a bad transmitter

If nothing else I hope they keep the ‘Our last, best hope for peace… it failed.’ DUN DUN DAAAH DUN DUN DAAAH

Ash1138
Sep 29, 2001

Get up, chief. We're just gettin' started.

Grand Fromage posted:

That may be the best episode of the series. Not to say the stuff following is bad, but man Severed Dreams is so good. All time great of any show, really.

I've watched it so many times I can probably quote the entire episode from memory.
same. the pacing is pretty much perfect and the battle is so well done that it transcends the age of the CG.

my favorite part though is when major ryan enters the briefing room and sits down, but it's apparent that bruce mcgill is just sitting on a stool until the shot changes

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
FEEL FREE TO DISREGARD THIS POST

It is guaranteed to be lazy, ignorant, and/or uninformed.
Holy poo poo balls this lady in Season 3 episode 12 Sic Trans Vir, Goddamn Vir's to be wife is a total loving psycho. :psyduck:

Narsham
Jun 5, 2008

Grand Fromage posted:

That may be the best episode of the series. Not to say the stuff following is bad, but man Severed Dreams is so good. All time great of any show, really.

I've watched it so many times I can probably quote the entire episode from memory.

“General Haig… is doing Deep Space Nine. His agent double-booked him and there was nothing to be done.”

Also, how about Tricia Helfer as Bester? One thing’s for sure, that casting is going to be a really big deal.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

TK-42-1 posted:

If nothing else I hope they keep the ‘Our last, best hope for peace… it failed.’ DUN DUN DAAAH DUN DUN DAAAH

Empty quote if you heard this in your head

pentyne
Nov 7, 2012

Hollismason posted:

Holy poo poo balls this lady in Season 3 episode 12 Sic Trans Vir, Goddamn Vir's to be wife is a total loving psycho. :psyduck:

I always thought it was weird as poo poo that Vir's reports about his diplomatic mission were supposed to be re-written to portray the Minbari as lazy and decadent. Even from a "spy" aspect of diplomats you'd want as accurate information as possible.

I suppose the novelty of finally having a Minbari based diplomat and reading the reports was more of a "lol those weird foreigners" to the Centuri nobility rather then any sense of spycraft.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I don't think the centauri were meant to be very efficient

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

TK-42-1 posted:

The composition and animation on the two Starfuries is so drat good.

Slamhound
Mar 27, 2010

pentyne posted:

I always thought it was weird as poo poo that Vir's reports about his diplomatic mission were supposed to be re-written to portray the Minbari as lazy and decadent. Even from a "spy" aspect of diplomats you'd want as accurate information as possible.

I suppose the novelty of finally having a Minbari based diplomat and reading the reports was more of a "lol those weird foreigners" to the Centuri nobility rather then any sense of spycraft.

It's because it was the Centauri who were lazy and decadent.

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021

by sebmojo

Slamhound posted:

It's because it was the Centauri who were lazy and decadent.

They also want to assure the Centauri court that the Great Centauri Republic! is superior to all other races. Keeps their feelings safe and justifies them doing ... whatever it is that they are currently doing instead of any hard work.

MadHat
Mar 31, 2011

TK-42-1 posted:

I also still hear that sound effect as the camera zooms into the gate.

Alhazred
Feb 16, 2011

sebmojo posted:

I don't think the centauri were meant to be very efficient

They had a guard watching a spot in the courtyard for generations because once upon a time a princess wanted to protect a flower. And since you couldn't question an imperial order and the emperor forgot to rescind the order there had to be a guard watching that spot. Even though the flower was gone.

Small Strange Bird
Sep 22, 2006

Merci, chaton!

Ash1138 posted:

same. the pacing is pretty much perfect and the battle is so well done that it transcends the age of the CG.
The CG models and texturing may be low-res by modern standards, but the way the entire battle was choreographed as a story, with multiple set-pieces building on each other, was something I'd never seen before on TV. It was so far beyond anything Star Trek had done to that point (where even major battles consisted of a few shots of ships exchanging fire at close range intercut with lots of bridge shots of people shaking around or describing events too expensive to show) that it instantly dated its rival and forced it to up its game. (And even then, only DS9 came close to that feeling of scale and intensity.)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

pentyne posted:

No, it's because the Centauri are at this point full fash and fascists don't want truth that doesn't conform to their views. There was a whole bunch of "how much can we tell him?" going on among the generals in the Berlin bunker in 1945. Vir's rewritten report is earlier in the cycle of collapse, but otherwise no different.

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar
I just head Bab 5 is being rebooted.

What the hell?

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1442621159221043202

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Megillah Gorilla posted:

I just head Bab 5 is being rebooted.

What the hell?

Welcome to the last three pages, Kramer.

E: Come on, seriously, the thread has over 60 new posts and nobody is mourning a death. What did you think we were talking about?

Erulisse
Feb 12, 2019

A bad poster trying to get better.
Looks at thread title

Space aids?

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

We clearly need a new thread title. Post your ideas.

Babylon 5: The Coming of CW-series

Babylon 5: Reboot... Zoot Zoot

Issaries fucked around with this message at 13:06 on Sep 29, 2021

Megillah Gorilla
Sep 22, 2003

If only all of life's problems could be solved by smoking a professor of ancient evil texts.

Bread Liar

Jedit posted:

Welcome to the last three pages, Kramer.

reeeeaaad threeeaaaad :confused:

What are these words you speak?

V-Men
Aug 15, 2001

Don't it make your dick bust concrete to be in the same room with two noble, selfless public servants.

adhuin posted:

We clearly need a new thread title. Post your ideas.

Babylon 5: The Coming of CW-series

Babylon 5: Reboot... Zoot Zoot

Babylon 5: CW. Our last, best hope for a remake.

Issaries
Sep 15, 2008

"At the end of the day
We are all human beings
My father once told me that
The world has no borders"

It failed. DUN DUN DUN DUUU.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Babylon 5: Babblestar Galactica

Digital Flower
Sep 5, 2011
Babylon 5: I would look up at your lifeless reboot and wave like this

Infidelicious
Apr 9, 2013

I I think CGI was hard enough to do and they were under enough time pressure that they actually had to plan their SFX shots properly and not just throw poo poo on to the screen.

Because comparing it to modern CGI it is exceptionally clear and clean and readable in the same way that model sfx shots are.

Doctor Zero
Sep 21, 2002

Would you like a jelly baby?
It's been in my pocket through 4 regenerations,
but it's still good.

ultrafilter posted:

Legacies had a teenager who didn't die.

But should have. Holy poo poo that girl was the WORST actor I have ever seen. She makes Denise Richards look downright Shakespearean.

ANOTHER SCORCHER posted:

It is very clearly a clumsy AIDS allegory, the disease was common among a “sexually deviant” minority and contracting it was shameful.

It wasn't so much about that as it was about the stubbornness and politicalization of the disease, IIRC. I guess I'm going to have to pull out the Script Book commentary.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

sebmojo posted:

Empty quote if you heard this in your head

ConfusedUs
Feb 24, 2004

Bees?
You want fucking bees?
Here you go!
ROLL INITIATIVE!!

B5 Reboot: The avalanche has started. It's too late for the pebbles to vote.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos

adhuin posted:

Babylon 5: The Next Generation

LinkesAuge
Sep 7, 2011
New Babylon: Zathras does not mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OnlyBans
Sep 21, 2021