Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stexils
Jun 5, 2008

ben aaronovitch was also mentioned this page and i submit that his books commit the worst crime of all: being aggressively british to the point i can't even understand half the dialogue

quote:

‘No theory is ever perfect,’ said Lesley. ‘Particularly since we can’t even find a reason for William Skirmish being in the West End that night.’
‘Maybe he was on the pull,’ I said.
‘He wasn’t on the pull,’ said Lesley. ‘And I should know.’

quote:

“Purdy,” I shouted and he looked over. “What’s the griff?”

quote:

He gave us a pitying look. “An old-style copper would have felt it too, even a tosser like Johnson would have known something was up.”
“And gone around looking for a bung,” said Stephanopoulis.

-statements by the utterly deranged

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

I remember liking the Laundry books by Charles Stross. How are the later ones holding up?

Ferrosol
Nov 8, 2010

Notorious J.A.M

Stexils posted:

ben aaronovitch was also mentioned this page and i submit that his books commit the worst crime of all: being aggressively british to the point i can't even understand half the dialogue

-statements by the utterly deranged

That's perfectly cromulent English my old fellow

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

The Lone Badger posted:

I remember liking the Laundry books by Charles Stross. How are the later ones holding up?

IMO they run into the same issue just described. Escalating stakes fundamentally change the tone of the books. They go from underpaid spooks trying to keep the universe from unravelling while complaining about HR, to:

- Milton Keynes is invaded by elves
- Something about vampire superheroes joining the police?
- The UK is ruled by an ancient egyptian lich who might be able to save us from the apocalypse

nonathlon
Jul 9, 2004
And yet, somehow, now it's my fault ...

Stexils posted:

I read the first Rivers of London book and it's fine for what it is, quirky light urban fantasy, even good. But it so shows that the author wrote scripts for Doctor Who. It's got that same sound and everyone talks like a Doctor Who character, and the humour is that BBC / Hitchhiker's type where they drop a line and you can practically see the characters smugly pausing for you to get it.

Anticheese
Feb 13, 2008

$60,000,000 sexbot
:rodimus:

Strategic Tea posted:

IMO they run into the same issue just described. Escalating stakes fundamentally change the tone of the books. They go from underpaid spooks trying to keep the universe from unravelling while complaining about HR, to:

- Milton Keynes is invaded by elves
- Something about vampire superheroes joining the police?
- The UK is ruled by an ancient egyptian lich who might be able to save us from the apocalypse

because they got the Black Pharoh into power through legally sound means, we can be sure they got Nyarlathotep.

the Americans summoned Coupthulhu.

To help with the power creep, the books now focus on other characters and it's working for me.

Anticheese has a new favorite as of 11:44 on Sep 29, 2021

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy
I just read a collection of Robert E Howard's weird fiction, and in the intro the editor was like "He was racist, and had a darkness that led to his suicide, but it's ok because if he wasn't so messed up we wouldn't have so many great stories." :stare:

Which on the whole the stories weren't that bad for weird fiction of the time (mostly unspecific degenerative precursor races and a sort of weird fetishism of muslims) until Pigeons from hell, which is wildly racist. I think it's probably a good candidate for a rewrite by a person of color as it's ultimately about a "zuvembie" curse placed on the mistress of a plantation by her abandoned mixed race daughter. but told without any nuance and lots of slurs and problematic characters.

GB Luxury Hamper
Nov 27, 2002

nonathlon posted:

I read the first Rivers of London book and it's fine for what it is, quirky light urban fantasy, even good. But it so shows that the author wrote scripts for Doctor Who. It's got that same sound and everyone talks like a Doctor Who character, and the humour is that BBC / Hitchhiker's type where they drop a line and you can practically see the characters smugly pausing for you to get it.

I enjoyed the humor/references up until the last book, where the references were suddenly to things that I didn't care/know about (and things got a bit dull plot-wise). I haven't finished the book yet; I should probably do that soon.

Still, I enjoy the series a lot and I like Lesley's character arc.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Strategic Tea posted:

gently caress, can't be any worse than the current bunch of twats. Not a tory, is he?

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

gently caress, can't be any worse than the current bunch of twats. Not a tory, is he?

He's Nyarlathotep, the Black Pharaoh, aka Fabian Everyman, the People's Mandate. So, basically Tony Blair as a fully-fledged Lovecraftian horror.

Ichabod Sexbeast
Dec 5, 2011

Giving 'em the old razzle-dazzle

Darth Walrus posted:

So, basically Tony Blair.

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Yeah I almost posted 'The UK is ruled by an evil lich - and in the book as well!'

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Stexils posted:

blackmoore sucks. i read the first book and the "mystery" was just incredibly obvious.

Honestly, I dont read these books expecting a locked room mystery or anything, engaging (if largely predictable) pulp is A-OK with me. And the protaganist having a reasonably clearly defined (and expressly limited in scope) power set also helps prevent too much "Ahah, I actually had the perfect spell for this all along!" bullshit.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander posted:

The sandman slim series is a pro read to me simply for the fact that over the series the main character acknowledges the fact he's hosed up, he's been through some seriously traumatic poo poo, and goes through the whole PTSD thing of getting help/recognizing the problems/changing his life around. That doesn't really happen much in urban fantasy.

Not saying there aren't some rough books, but kadrey does tie everything together really nicely.

The main issue I have with butcher regarding Dresden is basically the power creep. He peaked about book 7? with "normal" kinda stuff and now literally every book past that is Dresden just dbzing his way through whatever the new bad world ending thing is. I get it's hard to change back to just regular normal stakes for stuff, but the downside to escalation for the bad guys is always resolved by Harry dbzing his way through the bad guy of the book, regardless of him being personally threatened and in danger like the early books, or the world is gonna end threats like the later books.

Blackmoore I dig, because the overall story uses a neat blend of Mayan/Aztec culture, and there's not much power creep overall.

The verus series is pretty good but I haven't had time to read the last 2? that have come out.

Yeah, so many Urban Fantasy novels go hard on either Norse or Roman/Greek gods that someone using Mesoamerican mythology is a real breath of fresh air.

I enjoyed the Verus series up to a point but I was never on board with the romance between Verus and... whatever the other character was called. Also they had sort of the opposite problem from power creep in that I felt the main character rarely actually managed to achieve anything at all. I was already kind falling away from them when one of the later ones had the main character give an angry "People are sick of being told what to do by experts!" rant at a dinner party. Now for those of you not from the UK, "sick and tired of experts" is pretty much a pro brexit slogan, as every expert in basically everything warned that brexit would be the UK cutting their own throat, so having the main character of the book give this speech made dropping the entire thing and ticking "do not recommend me books by this author again" a real easy decision to make. It was also HILARIOUSLY out of character as the entire premise of the book is that this character is an expert in magic who tells people what to do and gets annoyed when they dont listen and poo poo goes sideways.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Strategic Tea posted:

Yeah I almost posted 'The UK is ruled by an evil lich - and in the book as well!'

I'd lay good odds Stross himself has said something to that effect. He does mention the latest "Laundry" book isn't about the Laundry at all for the reason that British politics have become so bizarre they're impossible for him to satirize. It's the Onion problem.

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

I soured on stross when he came out with the tentacle rape unicorn poo poo

ookiimarukochan
Apr 4, 2011
Broadly speaking I like his stuff but he's really bad at understanding real life politics - I mean he had a book delayed because he didn't believe that any cabinet members could actually be dumb, they must have all been 4D geniuses and yet whoops.

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Nah he always thought they were dumb but just underestimated how dumb

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

Ambitious Spider posted:

I just read a collection of Robert E Howard's weird fiction, and in the intro the editor was like "He was racist, and had a darkness that led to his suicide, but it's ok because if he wasn't so messed up we wouldn't have so many great stories." :stare:

Which on the whole the stories weren't that bad for weird fiction of the time (mostly unspecific degenerative precursor races and a sort of weird fetishism of muslims) until Pigeons from hell, which is wildly racist. I think it's probably a good candidate for a rewrite by a person of color as it's ultimately about a "zuvembie" curse placed on the mistress of a plantation by her abandoned mixed race daughter. but told without any nuance and lots of slurs and problematic characters.

There's also Red Shadows which was the first Solomon Kane short story and it pretty quickly gets super racist as Solomon ends up chasing a guy who takes refuge in a native village and the descriptions of the villagers get pretty bad. (spoilered for racism)

quote:

A giant Negro stalked into the space between them. He was the hugest man that Kane had ever seen, though he moved with catlike ease and suppleness. His arms and legs were like trees, and the great, sinuous muscles rippled with each motion. His apelike head was set squarely between gigantic shoulders. His great, dusky hands were like the talons of an ape, and his brow slanted back from above bestial eyes. Flat nose and great, thick red lips completed this picture of primitive, lustful savagery.

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

muscles like this! posted:

There's also Red Shadows which was the first Solomon Kane short story and it pretty quickly gets super racist as Solomon ends up chasing a guy who takes refuge in a native village and the descriptions of the villagers get pretty bad. (spoilered for racism)

So that description sorta implies that Solomon Kane's head isn't situated between his shoulders. Which raises some questions about the prevalence of scoliosis among white people, I guess.

A Worrying Warlock
Sep 21, 2009

Ichabod Sexbeast posted:

If I remember right, one of the reasons he comes into power is because the try PM is loving up so hard that they have to get loving Nyharlothep to set it right.

Shwoo
Jul 21, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

The talons of an... ape? :confused:

What kind of apes did they have in 1928?

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Strategic Tea posted:

The Laundry Books make much more sense when you realise the series started as sysadmin war stories told in Lovecraftian. IT workers down the pub bitching about technology being poo poo. Main character BOFH and his assistant PFY.

Don Gato
Apr 28, 2013

Actually a bipedal cat.
Grimey Drawer

Sobatchja Morda posted:

If I remember right, one of the reasons he comes into power is because the try PM is loving up so hard that they have to get loving Nyharlothep to set it right.

So what you're saying is that Britain's next prime minister will be the Crawling Chaos itself?

I think that sounds like an improvement tbh.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

Strategic Tea posted:

The UK is ruled by an ancient[..]lich

Not sure why this is spoiler tagged, she's on the money.

divabot
Jun 17, 2015

A polite little mouse!

Don Gato posted:

So what you're saying is that Britain's next prime minister will be the Crawling Chaos itself?

I think that sounds like an improvement tbh.

The Bumbling Chaos

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

Ferrosol posted:

That's perfectly cromulent English my old fellow

If you want to further overdose on londonness try A Madness of Angels and its sequels by Kate Griffin.

Kchama
Jul 25, 2007

SiKboy posted:

Yeah, the Dresden Files have come up a few times, but on a basic level a) they are a deliberate (and originally spite fuelled*) attempt to write pure pulp, and b) the Urban Fantasy genre is so haunted by self insert protagonists, thinly veiled erotica and awful writing that the Dresden Files are easily in the top 10% of the genre by virtue of the protaganist having actual acknowledged flaws and broadly competant writing. IIRC there is literally one (maybe two?) sex scenes in the entire run of the books to date, and it is pretty cringey (writing sex is definitely not Butchers forte...) but thats incredibly restrained compared to some.

Like I love the urban fantasy genre, "real life, but magic" just appeals to me, but its almost entirely trash. I'm willing to settle for the readable trash amongst it (Jim Butcher, Stephen Blackmoore, Daniel O'Malley, Ben Aaronovitch) over most of the rest. I have a post somewhere in this thread bemoaning it and listing many of the urban fantasy I've read thats worse that dresden, and I could almost certainly add another half dozen authors to that list by now.

*I believe the story goes that Butcher submitted a fantasy story he was passionate about to a writing class for critique, and was given feedback that he felt would make it more cliched and generic. So he deliberately wrote a story with all the elements the instructor had mentioned, called "semi auto-magic" to show how bad it would be. But the instructor liked it, and Butcher reread it and kind of went "gently caress... There actually is something there" and reworked it into the first dresden files novel which ended up getting published. He did later go on to write and publish a fantasy series which is pretty much fine by the standards of the genre, I enjoyed it well enough.

I feel like every time Butcher writes something extremely stupid or terrible he always claims he was dared to do it.

Kchama has a new favorite as of 04:13 on Oct 1, 2021

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

Kchama posted:

I feel like every time Butcher write something extremely stupid or terrible he always claims he was dared to do it.

Yeah, that poo poo is weak. I prefer the Stephen King approach of just admitting "I was sitting around and had a weird idea so I wrote it" and/or "literally no idea, that was all cocaine"

The Lone Badger
Sep 24, 2007

"What's Cujo and why am I getting royalties for it?"

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

Kchama posted:

I feel like every time Butcher writes something extremely stupid or terrible he always claims he was dared to do it.

I mean, my read of that story is more a "listen to criticism of your writing, you are often too close to it to be objective" anecdote rather than "dthe books that pay my bills are stupid but its not my fault" anecdote to be fair. He may have claimed he was dared to write some parts of the dresden files (I'm guessing the dreadful sex scene? If I wrote the dresden files thats the first bit I'd disown myself), but if so I've not heard that one. But then I generally avoid learning anything about authors whose work I enjoy where possible, there is very little I could learn about an author that would make me like their writing more, and whole lot that would make me like it less. See, for example, a lot of poo poo in this thread! I only know the "this is stupid advice... Oh poo poo, actually this was good advice" story because its in the introduction to the short story collection, or one of the stories in it.

On the subject of urban fantasy authors, one thing that drives me up the wall is when they put "cute" references to each others poo poo in. The general standard of writing isnt high in the genre, so it always sticks out like a sore thumb. The first alex verus novel (I think) has a line about "I heard about one guy in chicago advertises himself as a wizard in the phone book oh ho ho!" which is a reference to the dresden files where (back in the early ones where the premise was still private detective but magic) a recurring thing was his advert in the phone book that no-one took seriously. Dont remind people of another, more successful, book series they could be reading. If they like the dresden files it feels a bit like you are trying to claim some success by association, and if they dont it's a bad sign that you are obviously referencing a series the reader already doesnt like. I'm pretty sure there was a similar thing in an early Daniel Faust novel by craig schaefer, but dont hold me to that.

But that isnt as bad as when authors (and I have only encountered this in urban fantasy and comic books, but I'm sure it happens elsewhere too) write each other in to their stories. For example I was reading one of the more recent stephen blackmoore books, I think it was Fire Season, and there is a cop character who gives his full name. And its super clunky too, like in a situation where it would feel natural for him to say "I'm Kevin", or "I'm Officer Hearne" he says "I'm Officer Kevin Hearne" and I was like "huh, that seems really weird..." then I noticed that one of the pull quotes on the first page of the book is by "Kevin Hearne, author of the Iron Druid Chronicles". In the introduction of the book (which I'd skipped) Blackmoore mentions that Hearne killed him off in one of Hearnes stories first. I just hate that poo poo. The absolute worst, and I completely mean the ABSOLUTE WORST example of this is in The Severed Streets by Paul Cornell. He writes Neil Gaiman in as himself. Like at a bar frequented by the magically sensitive, one of the characters bumps into a tall, tousle haired man with sunglasses and literally goes "Oh my god, arent you Neil Gaiman, the author?" And Neil Gaiman goes "Yes." and there is a whole conversation about how much the character loves Neil Gaimans books. Its absolutely painful. And that would be bad enough but a few chapters further on they go back and interview Neil Gaiman again as a witness who is integral to the loving plot. Thats where I tapped out.

HopperUK
Apr 29, 2007

Why would an ambulance be leaving the hospital?
That sounds insufferable and weird. I'd almost suspect there was betting involved.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Hey, at least gaiman had a reason for being in there. The others were just random mentions.

I don't mind that so often as it's not done in every book. A few of the authors I read all sort of write in the same "universe", and when there's a crossover it's a bit strange. Rarely a name mentioned but it's more like "Oh, weird, someone is blowing up party of the city and it's not us this time..." kinda thing. Luckily it's only happened I think twice? and iirc they were both in short stories between the main books. No marvel team ups or anything.

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat

Sobatchja Morda posted:

I don't think you could have mangled that name any harder if you tried.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

Sham bam bamina! posted:

I don't think you could have mangled that name any harder if you tried.

Can you really blame people for messing up names that were deliberately chosen to be difficult to spell and pronounce?

SiKboy
Oct 28, 2007

Oh no!😱

HopperUK posted:

That sounds insufferable and weird. I'd almost suspect there was betting involved.

Its super uncomfortable, and really weird. Especially as the writer, Paul Cornell, is a reasonably successful british comics writer who has written for doctor who, while neil gaiman is a wildly successful british comics writer who has written for doctor who. So its entirely probable that they know each other (british comics isnt that big a world) and I'd hope that Gaiman gave his okay to it, but that doesnt make it actually read any better.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.
Reference is such a tricky art. I grew up on early Simpsons, so I love it when it's done well, but I swear to god nothing is worse than media that goes "don't you wish you were partaking of other, better media right now?"

Antivehicular
Dec 30, 2011

I wanna sing one for the cars
That are right now headed silent down the highway
And it's dark and there is nobody driving And something has got to give

I kind of hate cutesy references to nerd media in other nerd media in general (this is the major reason I haven't read the Locked Tomb books yet despite many friends saying they're great), but that really sounds next-level irritating. Let me suspend disbelief for a minute!

Sham bam bamina!
Nov 6, 2012

ƨtupid cat
It sounds loving epic, actually.

neongrey
Feb 28, 2007

Plaguing your posts with incidental music.

Antivehicular posted:

I kind of hate cutesy references to nerd media in other nerd media in general (this is the major reason I haven't read the Locked Tomb books yet despite many friends saying they're great), but that really sounds next-level irritating. Let me suspend disbelief for a minute!

Yeah, it's legit to be wary on these gounds-- I think they work well there (mostly, but there's a couple of really strained groaners in the second book) and I think they're worth giving a try even if you're unsure, but opting to Not is legit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

Antivehicular posted:

The real issue for me with Locked Tomb was 95% of the second book being written in second loving person for no good reason.