Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: fart simpson)

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

that reminds me where did r guyovich get that adorable avatar of a cartoon dinosaur in a tv set that showed up in those screencaps of his alleged bad posts

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Office Pig posted:

not really big on sky blue for cooling towers

apart from everything else it's a safety issue; 18% of chinese pilots are cartoon animals

Grapplejack
Nov 27, 2007

Office Pig posted:

not really big on sky blue for cooling towers

blue runs cooler, that's just science.

Stringent
Dec 22, 2004

image text goes here

Mirello posted:

I can say as someone who lives in china, muslims here are about 100x more accepted by society than in america. theres tons of muslims everywhere, and it's not really a big deal in any way.

enjoy your incoming ban for genocide denial

Wraith of J.O.I.
Jan 25, 2012

https://twitter.com/carlzha/status/1443080147100307460?s=21

Shear Modulus
Jun 9, 2010

invest more money in science here? no, industrial sabotage!

Mandoric
Mar 15, 2003
Kishida ended up on top in the LDP leadership election, and thus next Japanese PM. Positioning is dirigiste, relatively dovish moderate conservative though with far-right ties, beat out the favorite Kono whose position was radical Pacific-ism (as in the geographical antipode but philosophical mate of Atlanticism; 51st state approach.) Notably pro-civilian nuclear power.

my dad
Oct 17, 2012

this shall be humorous
you have got to be loving kidding me

https://www.wsj.com/amp/articles/havana-syndrome-attacks-widen-as-cia-officer-is-evacuated-from-serbia-11632844044

ded redd
Aug 1, 2010

by Fluffdaddy
cementing sonic ray brain damage into law gives everyone the perfect excuse to ditch work at the first opportunity

it's actually brilliant

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

man i've had some bad hangovers from rakija but none that ever required evacuation. maybe Drago forgot to toss the methanol fraction.

exmarx
Feb 18, 2012

The experience over the years
of nothing getting better
only worse.
depression gun ftw

gradenko_2000
Oct 5, 2010

HELL SERPENT
Lipstick Apathy

Office Pig posted:

cementing sonic ray brain damage into law gives everyone the perfect excuse to ditch work at the first opportunity

it's actually brilliant

not only will the US use Havana Syndrome to implement universal healthcare, they'll also use it to implement paid family leave!

loving brilliant

Pener Kropoopkin
Jan 30, 2013

I can't get over the fact this administration keeps saying they're "listening to the science" on Covid, but every scientific expert worth their salt says Havana Syndrome is physically impossible and it doesn't matter.

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

maybe the CIA agents are becoming depressed because their empire is crumbling and they suck at their job

Crusader
Apr 11, 2002

https://i.imgur.com/ud4FAlH.mp4

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/BRICbreaker/status/1442883004024729606

[Eurasia] Xi Jinping is the new Smokey the Bear

Some Guy TT
Aug 30, 2011

https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1442985298757963780
https://twitter.com/ArmsControlWonk/status/1442985306987192323

OhFunny
Jun 26, 2013

EXTREMELY PISSED AT THE DNC
Presidents Putin and Erdogan are meeting today in Sochi. I'm interested to see what they'll agree to since Russian and Turkish interests are opposed on many fronts (Syria, Libya, etc). Erdogan has Turkey will buy more S-400s from Russia.

mawarannahr
May 21, 2019

lmfao

https://www.washingtonpost.com/comments?storyUrl=https%3a%2f%2fwww.washingtonpost.com%2fopinions%2f2021%2f09%2f28%2fhavana-syndrome-unsolved-unacceptable%2f&outputType=comment posted:

After nearly five years, someone and something is still causing serious injury to U.S. officials abroad. The source of “Havana syndrome,” first detected in Cuba in late 2016, has not been identified nor attributed. The attacks — and they do seem to be deliberate attacks— now total more than 200 cases.

After then-President Donald Trump’s chaotic handling of the crisis, the Biden administration has intensified the search for the source and attempted to break down the silos that hampered internal government cooperation. The State Department’s top official overseeing the issue, Pamela Spratlen, has stepped down after six months on the job, following friction with some of the victims. The department says her permitted time serving as a retiree was up. Meanwhile, Congress just passed legislation to help victims. But the cause of the illnesses remains a mystery. If the source is “directed, pulsed radio frequency” energy, as some research suggests, who is aiming it at U.S. diplomats and intelligence officers? How have the perpetrators managed to conceal sneak attacks on U.S. officials around the world? They have not made any demands. Are they trying to disrupt the work of spies and diplomats to create chaos and uncertainty? Or worse?

The victims have reported suffering headaches, dizziness, blurred vision and memory loss after hearing strange noises and feeling odd sensations. The injuries are real and have serious and lasting consequences.The latest cases involve dozens of U.S. personnel in Vienna, as well as some children. More cases have been reported in Vienna than in any other city but Havana. John Hudson and Shane Harris of The Post report that the CIA has recalled its station chief in Vienna for insufficient attention to the problem. Some offices within the U.S. mission were shut down, impairing embassy functions.

On top of this, when CIA Director William J. Burns was in India recently, a member of his team reported being hit and required medical care, CNN reported. When Vice President Harris was heading to Vietnam in late August, her arrival was delayed several hours because several U.S. officials on the ground suffered symptoms and two had to be evacuated for medical attention.

We’re told there is a great deal of heterogeneity in the cases. There might be more than one mechanism behind the various incidents, too. Still, it is frustrating that Americans are being sent abroad on vital military, diplomatic or intelligence missions facing unknown peril from invisible sources and that the U.S. government has so far been unable, with all its capabilities, to pinpoint what is causing this danger.
Eventually, the culprits must be found and held to account. But first, the injurious emissions have to be stopped. The health and well-being of U.S. officials abroad demand no less. National security depends on those officials to be the eyes and ears of the United States. It is unacceptable that someone is trying to punch them out, and is getting away with it.

Unacceptable!

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy
so polonium isn't cool any more?

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

dead gay comedy forums
Oct 21, 2011

the first thing I thought about Havana Syndrome is how it must have been one hell of a yarn from a spy who hosed up but was a dulles level bumbling arrogant thinks-knows-it-all reporting

---

"Boss, you are not going to believe this... I have a connection in the GDR that validated that info from Moscow. The Cubans have a infrasonic secret weapon and they are using against us. That's why I had to bail today."

"Oookay. Why do I smell rum from here and state dept staff informed me that you woke up on the beach?"

"..."

"So?"

"Those infrasonic weapons, sir, are out of this world."

"Jerry, just to be clear, are you telling me that Cuba has experimental, ultra-high-advanced secret technology sonic beams that causes roaring headaches, strong lethargy, nausea and depressive mood?"

"Yes sir. Precisely so."

"How's that different from a hangover?"

"Sir, if the Cubans have a hangover beam, what else they might have?"

"Jerry. For gently caress's sake."

"Tom, I find it plausible. Besides Angleton, I am the one who best knows the Communist threat and their scientists, you know, they got some big noggins over there in Moscow. Who knows what perfidious intent lies behind this weapon?"

"Mr. Dulles? Really?"

"Jerry, take some time off to recover, Clandestine Operations is a dangerous job and you deserve a rest. Get a month in Florida, enjoy Miami. Write the most detailed report you can over this weapon, we absolutely must know what this is about. Refer to the East Berlin station for validation, please."

"Sir, thank you."

"Director..."

"Yes, Tom?"

"You are confirming the existence of a weapon based on a single agent's load of bullshit. Without any verification. Without any other additional sources. Do you want another Budapest? We got to stop letting every single chucklefuck say whatever the gently caress he wants!"

"Tom, I know this job better than anyone. I know the Soviet threat, and I know it better than you. You know what is bullshit? You and McCone talking about ballistic missiles in loving Cuba, that's some really funny horseshit..."

Agrajag
Jan 21, 2006

gat dang thats hot

psyhotic assed demon crackers

Rent-A-Cop
Oct 15, 2004

I posted my food for USPOL Thanksgiving!

I had 7 Cuba Libres last night and now I have Havana Syndrome.

Pray4me

Spergin Morlock
Aug 8, 2009

lol that the new WP "article" about Havana syndrome is in the opinion section. lmao

IAMKOREA
Apr 21, 2007

Rent-A-Cop posted:

I had 7 Cuba Libres last night and now I have Havana Syndrome.

Pray4me

ugh the worst part about getting older is how much harder havana syndrome hits you

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

I hope I get sent to some foreign country, eat a plate of funky seafood and then get the syndrome

Nonsense
Jan 26, 2007

Lostconfused
Oct 1, 2008

Mandoric posted:

Kishida ended up on top in the LDP leadership election, and thus next Japanese PM. Positioning is dirigiste, relatively dovish moderate conservative though with far-right ties, beat out the favorite Kono whose position was radical Pacific-ism (as in the geographical antipode but philosophical mate of Atlanticism; 51st state approach.) Notably pro-civilian nuclear power.

A land of contrasts if you will.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
I read an analyse prediction, basically Abe was spreading his factional inference secretly to Kishada (older guy who has more support from the older lawmakers) and overtly to that racist right winger woman, in order to avoid giving any support to that younger guy (Tara Kono, who is 50-something, has support from the younger lawmakers, very popular among the rank and file party members).

Even though Kono got more votes from the regular party members, in the 2nd round the congress lawmakers has more weight and voted in Kishida. Kishida is supposed to be more moderate and more transaction compare to other candidates in term of policy toward China.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

lol how the gently caress are they expecting to do industrial espionage on a scale that would actually slow china's progress that wouldn't be not just the cold (or hot) war that they want, but an atrocious and absolutely untenable civilian massacre that would make kissinger blush and make hiroshima and nagasaki seem like an oopsie in comparison

Cao Ni Ma
May 25, 2010

"slow innovation" in this case is tightening ranks to decrease trade with china.

hot witch divorcee
Jan 4, 2021

is that a tower in your pants or are you just happy to see me

Cao Ni Ma posted:

"slow innovation" in this case is tightening ranks to decrease trade with china.

oh right they're loving morons, so what they mean is "do the thing that is forcing china to increase innovation more, maybe it will work this time"

Dreddout
Oct 1, 2015

You must stay drunk on writing so reality cannot destroy you.
The extent to which the "sensible" leaders of western society will engage in magical thinking to try to escape the near inevitability of china's rise is honestly impressive

Educated urban liberals will descend into frothing conspiracy theorists at the drop of the hat when the subject is china

Rutibex
Sep 9, 2001

by Fluffdaddy

Cao Ni Ma posted:

lol what are they going to do China already has space rockets, thorium reactors, and all the best microchip factories. china doesnt need any more western technology it already has all of it

comedyblissoption
Mar 15, 2006

dick wolff has commented in one of his global capitalism talks that the western academic and news commentary on the topic of chinese innovation and technology can only be explained as extraordinary racism

Kazzah
Jul 15, 2011

Formerly known as
Krazyface
Hair Elf

Rutibex posted:

lol what are they going to do China already has space rockets, thorium reactors, and all the best microchip factories. china doesnt need any more western technology it already has all of it

they don't have machine-mind interfaces, evacuated single-car tunnels, self-driving cars, fully-functional human-shaped robots, child-rescue submarines, or a mars base. chinese society cannot produce a musk.

FrancisFukyomama
Feb 4, 2019

it seems like there’s been little engagement by western commentators on CPC published theory on the assumption that post deng China is post ideological.

I wonder if the articles would be less shocked about xi’s recent movements if they at least took dengist theory as seriously as they took CPSU theory since it sounds like Deng wrote that what would happen as china’s development of a capitalist stage of development was nearing an end is pretty close to what’s happening right now

A Jupiter
Apr 25, 2010

hey wanna see something cursed

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Centrist Committee
Aug 6, 2019

FrancisFukyomama posted:

it seems like there’s been little engagement by western commentators on CPC published theory on the assumption that post deng China is post ideological.

I wonder if the articles would be less shocked about xi’s recent movements if they at least took dengist theory as seriously as they took CPSU theory since it sounds like Deng wrote that what would happen as china’s development of a capitalist stage of development was nearing an end is pretty close to what’s happening right now

link the forbidden texts coward